Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BattlingB. Show BattlingB's posts

Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA?

Various news sources are reporting that the league and players are discussing adding an "amnesty clause" to the new CBA which would allow teams to buy out a player on their team WITHOUT the corresponding cap hit....this new clause...similiar to the NBA's will no doubt be named the "Scott Gomez" clause after the first player dumped as the Canadiens race to the fax machine to get rid of him as soon as the ink is dry on the agreement.
    However..my question to you is...do you like it?
    Personally I think it hurts teams like the B's that have done a pretty good job of managing their cap by allowing teams like Montreal and others that have screwed up to get out from under crappy decisions.
    What's the point in building carefully to "save cap room" like Chiarelli's done this year if a team can dump 7-8 million off it's cap without penalty in one swoop?
    The only plus side I see is that it will free up some solid players (who may be overpaid) and put them back in the market but I doubt we'd bid on them anyway..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA?

I can't see the PA liking this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I think its good reason being that long term deals can be a flop and affect the teams cap space in the future and the abitity to be competetive. Remember  deals like yashin and so on. Im trying to think of others now, diepetro i think with the islanders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I like the contract but the team should be still charge some amount ie luxury for still being over the cap space. ( ie if a players contract is put off cap space the team should still have the contract added to the space and charged a luxury tax each year the contract is still in effect until the contract expires., and team can still use the contract amt. off the books to sign new contracts) I don't want the NHL getting to the extreme like baseball contracts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

There are reasons why there is a salary cap and being responsible for your contract's is one of them. Having a loop hole like this will only drive contract's and ticket prices up as GM's and owners will have a safety net for that one idiot contract that they took a "chance" on. If there is a chance that it ruins your organization, then dont make it is my opinion.

This is only an issue to teams like Montreal, who have handicapped themselves for the forseeable future with bad contract's that good GM's and ownership avoided. Anyone on here really want to see them get away from the Gomez or Kaberle contracts with no penalty at all for that stupid management of the cap?

They made these desicion's to put fans in the seats as a short term solution, that should be a long term problem and thats the price you pay and should pay.

Be responsible with your contracts.

Will the teams refund ticket prices of said salary back to its fans when they dump a bad contract that raised the tickets in the first place or do they keep it and this will become common practice to increase revenue?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Hate it. Unless something significantly changes the landscape in the new CBA, making contracts signed under the old one unfair and obsolete, then you can't allow that big of a get out of jail free card.  Besides, there already is an amnesty clause, the buy-out.   Also, unless there is a NMC attached you can send them down.  You still have to pay the contract your organization agreed to pay.  It's called living with the consequences of your actions.   The owners have "cost certainty" so it's squarely on their shoulders. 
    The other thing I like about contracts like Gomez's is that the players who sign these fat cat contracts, and don't live up to them, suffer too. Spend some years in the minors, maybe it will humble some of the greed out of you. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA?:
    [QUOTE]Hate it. Unless something significantly changes the landscape in the new CBA, making contracts signed under the old one unfair and obsolete, then you can't allow that big of a get out of jail free card.  Besides, there already is an amnesty clause, the buy-out.   Also, unless there is a NMC attached you can send them down.  You still have to pay the contract your organization agreed to pay.  It's called living with the consequences of your actions.   The owners have "cost certainty" so it's squarely on their shoulders.  The other thing I like about contracts like Gomez's is that the players who sign these fat cat contracts, and don't live up to them, suffer too. Spend some years in the minors, maybe it will humble some of the greed out of you. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Well said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Hate it. Unless something significantly changes the landscape in the new CBA, making contracts signed under the old one unfair and obsolete, then you can't allow that big of a get out of jail free card.  Besides, there already is an amnesty clause, the buy-out.   Also, unless there is a NMC attached you can send them down.  You still have to pay the contract your organization agreed to pay.  It's called living with the consequences of your actions.   The owners have "cost certainty" so it's squarely on their shoulders.  The other thing I like about contracts like Gomez's is that the players who sign these fat cat contracts, and don't live up to them, suffer too. Spend some years in the minors, maybe it will humble some of the greed out of you. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    Scooter, I can see your point when I see a guy like Yashin but I feel bad for a guy like Redden. It's not his fault that owners were lining up to give him big money. I've heard that Redden is a big reason that the NYR have had so many young D-men making the transition to the bigs in recent years. Apparently, his attitude is great as he's basically been an extra coach/player development guy. He got priced out of the NHL but he's obviously still good enough to play there. Burying guys like him in the minors only weakens the leage's overall talent level. I think Souray proved that point somewhat with his play this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA?:

Paul Holmgren would love it.   Bryz and Pronger

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA? : Scooter, I can see your point when I see a guy like Yashin but I feel bad for a guy like Redden. It's not his fault that owners were lining up to give him big money. I've heard that Redden is a big reason that the NYR have had so many young D-men making the transition to the bigs in recent years. Apparently, his attitude is great as he's basically been an extra coach/player development guy. He got priced out of the NHL but he's obviously still good enough to play there. Burying guys like him in the minors only weakens the leage's overall talent level. I think Souray proved that point somewhat with his play this year.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Great points by scooter and great response by you Dez.  Is there a happy medium in here somewhere.  Could there be a rule where you would be allowed to trade a guy like Redden or Gomez while eating some of the contract.  The portion of the contract the seller keeps then gets prorated onto the cap. 

For example Scott Gomez is owed 7.4 for three years.  The Canadiens agree to trade him to team X who is willing to take on 3.4 per year leaving a nice round 4 million per with the Canadiens.  If there were a 50% penalty on the excess money then there would still be a 2 million dollar penalty against the Canadiens for the remaining term.

The team that overspent is still penalized.  Team X gets a player it needed badly.  The NHL has the best talent available.  The player gets a chance to start fresh in an organization and with new fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dez, excellent point on Redden.  Some modification is needed on cap mishaps! 

As for the amnesty clause proposed, well, I will only say "why have a CBA then?" 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Amnesty clause in CBA? : Scooter, I can see your point when I see a guy like Yashin but I feel bad for a guy like Redden. It's not his fault that owners were lining up to give him big money. I've heard that Redden is a big reason that the NYR have had so many young D-men making the transition to the bigs in recent years. Apparently, his attitude is great as he's basically been an extra coach/player development guy. He got priced out of the NHL but he's obviously still good enough to play there. Burying guys like him in the minors only weakens the leage's overall talent level. I think Souray proved that point somewhat with his play this year.
     Doesnt change the fact it was a bad signing by the Rangers and there needs to be a price payed for that for them and currently its only Money which the rangers can do with no problems .. so whats the issue with the system here? Personaly I hate the send them to the minors Loop Hole for anyone who doesnt have a NMC, its bogus and was overlooked in the CBA and is being abused now. Needs to be removed and force every teams management to be responsible for thier contracts.. or its easy .. dont sign them!! I just cant feel bad for organizations that give bloated contracts to ageing players to appease the fan base for the short term of a long term contract. The same Rangers have gone and done the same thing again ... Richards is 32 years old and has a total of 39pts this season, how good will he be when he is what? 40 and in the last year of that contract? He'll be the highest payed 4th line payer in league history is what he will be and I'll have no pitty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Very true.  Maybe what's required is for the player to have a way to toss his own contract and say I'll sign for a more reasonable amount.  Then a guy like Redden can sign a 2 mil deal and work his way back. 

Sections
Shortcuts