Thoughts with those of you on the East Coast

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Thoughts with those of you on the East Coast

Be safe, hunker down, pay attention to boil water advisories in the coming days, and hopefully the lights won't be out for too long once the lines start going down.

Thinking of you all and hoping you stay safe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Thoughts with those of you on the East Coast

I second that Red! Sounds pretty bad from what I can gather & the worst hasn't hit yet. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Thanks for the nice sentiments.  I am working from home today and since I am still posting, it means that I haven't lost power yet.  The local subway system was closing at 2 pm today.  Many of the essential employees probably had to drive today, people who work in hospitals, etc. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Watching some of the coverage on CNN, and hopefully the combination of the storm surge hitting the shore + the high tide doesn't inundate everything.

Looks like the worst of it will hit Atlantic City.

Meanwhile, we had some foreshadowing yesterday of our "big one", with a 7.7 magnitude earthquake just off one of the northern island groups off the BC coast.  Luckily, it occured on a transverse fault line, and didn't cause a tsunami, but we're now "in the window" for a megathrust earthquake along the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which could be in the 9.0 range, and WILL cause a massive tsunami.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

49, the wife and I spent a chunk of yesterday getting our earthquake plan together. Hopefully you and yours do the same. Like with this storm, it's best to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's a Category 1 hurricane, barely above a tropical storm.  The news has made this out to be Gloria or Bob, which is certainly is not.  There really isn't much to talk about on the news programs outside of the downtrodden politics, and this is free to cover, so they're blowing it out.

I will be surprised if my lights blink.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm almost certain that Home Depot and Stop & Shop have the local meteorologists on the payroll. Anything weather related they blow way out of porportion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a Category 1 hurricane, barely above a tropical storm.  The news has made this out to be Gloria or Bob, which is certainly is not.  There really isn't much to talk about on the news programs outside of the downtrodden politics, and this is free to cover, so they're blowing it out.

[/QUOTE]

Weatherman.

A perfect profession for you. Being wrong and coming back the next day to do it all over again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not downplaying the damage or danger this weather can cause but Katrina was a Category 5 yet Sandy is being called Frankenstorm by CNN and other news outlets.  Still, to those who may be in the region of this stay safe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Weatherman.

A perfect profession for you. Being wrong and coming back the next day to do it all over again.

[/QUOTE]

I'll be a weatherman.  You can be a role model for the next Graham James or Jerry Sandusky.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

My pops is down on the Cape, just spoke to him and he's like "Do something I want to use my generator". I do hope that ugly azz Oak in front of his house does get removed though, so I don't have to do some day.

Kick up wind lol!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

No classes today, doubtful the next two days for some reason. I'll take it though. Don't think it will be too bad in Western Mass.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Category is determined by windspeed but strength is recorded by barometric pressure. By strength in barometric pressure it would qualify as a category four, not a one, plus it's large. Not saying it's the storm to end all storms, but it's not flurries.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Lights blinked at home, power went out at work, somebody needs to restart the servers, a few big branches down in the yard so pretty minor.  Equivalent of a decent winter storm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watching some of the coverage on CNN, and hopefully the combination of the storm surge hitting the shore + the high tide doesn't inundate everything.

Meanwhile, we had some foreshadowing yesterday of our "big one", with a 7.7 magnitude earthquake just off one of the northern island groups off the BC coast.  Luckily, it occured on a transverse fault line, and didn't cause a tsunami, but we're now "in the window" for a megathrust earthquake along the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which could be in the 9.0 range, and WILL cause a massive tsunami.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks 49, you're all right.  In times like these it's good to know there are hockey people out there who are not NAS and we're all fans at the end of the day and all our differences are forgotten.  The storm is over for us here and at least there's the NHL network to tuck me in for the night.  Another replay of course, NHL playoffs, at least it's a game I don't recall.  It's game 7 of the 2011 final, do you remember how this one turned out?  The guys in the blue and green bathing suits and diving caps have a stud goalie that will probably make this go into OT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Category is determined by windspeed but strength is recorded by barometric pressure. By strength in barometric pressure it would qualify as a category four, not a one, plus it's large. Not saying it's the storm to end all storms, but it's not flurries.

[/QUOTE]

It was a Category One.  No need to measure it differently to make it worse.

Jeez, people live for tragedy. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49-North's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks 49, you're all right.  In times like these it's good to know there are hockey people out there who are not NAS and we're all fans at the end of the day and all our differences are forgotten.  The storm is over for us here and at least there's the NHL network to tuck me in for the night.  Another replay of course, NHL playoffs, at least it's a game I don't recall.  It's game 7 of the 2011 final, do you remember how this one turned out?  The guys in the blue and green bathing suits and diving caps have a stud goalie that will probably make this go into OT.

[/QUOTE]

Amen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

NAS represents the worst in humans. greedy. self-centered. uncompromising. rude beyond belief. ask yourselves one question... is this forum better with him, than it would be without? does the one legitimate hockey post make up for the ten others that belittle fellow posters? my mind was made up within the first week i started posting on this site. the guy is a miserable SOB, that thinks his **** don't stink.  can't wait for another "skating clown" thread.  not one person on this site respects him or would like to call him a friend... huh, wonder what that means? hey NAS... why don't you go down to the jersey shore and tell the tens of thousands of residents displaced from their homes that they are overreacting- you know- it's ONLY a cat 1. while you're there, volunteer your time helping these people out, it would do your soul some good. i know, i know... that was a good one... like NAS has a soul!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't care if it's a cat 1 or 5 but the resulting damage from this storm is pretty severe in some areas. Red is right about barometric pressure which for this storm was historically low. It's not just wind that causes harm, the very low pressure and the resulting storm surge is the culprit here. A friend of mine is is across the river from NYC in Jersey City and got a first-hand look at what happened down there. She sent some pretty ugly photos. Her street was a raging river during the peak of the flood - the water was up to the front stoop which is a good 5-6 feet above the street.

33 dead (so far), floods, fires, million without power. This was no whimpy category 1 storm. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Mass got lucky.  I know my friends and family there are fine now, although most lost power.  But NY/NJ is a mess.  The storm just happened to hit harder there than anywhere else.  Glad that it seems as if the people here are all safe, and thanks to red for the message.

As far as the one poster beating his chest, don't let it bother you -- its the same old script.  Red's message was to everyone on the east coast, and that poster responds only about himself.  If nothing happens to your house, I guess it wasn't a bad storm...narcissism...  A lot people are in rough shape today on the east coast, and you can feel for them while being grateful for yourself.  All the best to anyone affected.

While I agree that these storms are often a whole lot of hype, this one was pretty darn serious any place it was a direct hit.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As far as the one poster beating his chest, don't let it bother you -- its the same old script.  Red's message was to everyone on the east coast, and that poster responds only about himself.

[/QUOTE]

How is my post about me?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Fletch - Yeah we did get somewhat lucky here in Mass. I'm a bit inland so no flooding or issues like that other than some downed trees and power lines. I have no power but I have a generator to keep the essentials running. Glad your friends and fam in this area are okay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As far as the one poster beating his chest, don't let it bother you -- its the same old script.  Red's message was to everyone on the east coast, and that poster responds only about himself.

[/QUOTE]

How is my post about me?

[/QUOTE]

"I will be surprised if my lights blink."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

One death reported so far.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah me first wife was from Brigantine NJ.  All I can say is that the NJ coast line was rocked.  Brigantine under water for sure.  The snow in WV is unbelievable.  The rains in PA and NY significant.  A classification of a storm does not determine the lethal aspects of the storm. Yes many more die in other countries, and yes the media has hyped the storm.  Yet isn't that why the death totals are down in this modern informational society.  Me thinks so.  

Sections
Shortcuts