Thoughts with those of you on the East Coast

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Thoughts with those of you on the East Coast

NAS I respect you as a knowledgable poster & I've stuck up for you when someone who I feel has crossed the line with one of the regular's & I've battled with you. However sometimes the old saying "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." comes into play. I don't understand why you had to downplay the nice sentiment that Red was doing. If you would've said something along the lines of..."Red I think...or I hope that this is one of those times when the media over hypes a storm, but thank you for your well wishes." Why do you almost ALWAYS have to be a dick! I've said this to you before & I'll say it again...You seem to be the type that would cause a bar fight, your friends would help you out, but then be PO'd at you for causng the fight. Sometimes I just don't know about you. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's just pointless fear mongering.  In today's world, people spend so much time worring about this and that, stuff that doesn't affect them, stuff that won't ever happen, stuff that is irrelevant.

And then they project it to others, to fear (misery) loves company.  Then a whole group is worried about this and that, for no reason at all.

So, Nite, (and I apprecaite your post), I wrote it because I hate posts like that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wow look at what direction this thread took. Horrible storm for alot of people on the coast, but the weatherman in Mass love to strike fear into people here. Remember a few years ago every single one of them called for a 15-20 inch snowstorm and we never even got a flake?  Bad weather = good ratings. Nothing else compares. Not downplaying what happened to people in other states, my heart gos out to them, but I live on the south shore, we got a couple gusts of wind and no more rain than any other rainy day. Pete Bouchard would have had you think we were going to see the end of the world.

If you or me were wrong that many times at our jobs, we'd be fired.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

?

I'm in Sudbury and went into Framingham today for dinner.  Off the top of my head there were 4 streets closed and I can think of yellow caution tape around at 6 downed power lines.

My office building has no power and it isn't expected to come back on - they have already notified us the office will be closed tomorrow.

If you look at the nstar outage map, it looks like Weston was ground zero and no one else got hit that hard in MA

http://outage.nstar.com/outage/

Those sections on the cape are misleading, hover over them and you will see total number of customers affected and it's like 1, 4, 6 etc. which I might expect could be when it's 70 and sunny and not a breeze to be found, some drunk has to hit a light pole sometime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It's just pointless fear mongering.  In today's world, people spend so much time worring about this and that, stuff that doesn't affect them, stuff that won't ever happen, stuff that is irrelevant.

And then they project it to others, to fear (misery) loves company.  Then a whole group is worried about this and that, for no reason at all.

So, Nite, (and I apprecaite your post), I wrote it because I hate posts like that.

Fair enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But why assume that it is 'pointless fear mongering' when the only saving grace for Mass was that the storm happened to land 75 miles to the south?  I mean, it wasn't hype and fear mongering for NY and NJ.  In fact, if anything the people there were still caught off guard as to how bad it was.  I think everyone agrees that it is the worst storm in NYC's history, you've got dozens dead, and an unfathomable cost of damage along the coast there.  

So you sit there in Town X, near Boston, and chuckle that it was all hype??  That only makes sense from a standpoint of complete and total self-interest.  Red's message was a general one of empathy and concern for the 'east coast'.  Responding to say "I'm fine in Boston", and therefore the storm was a joke is hopelessly narcissistic.

I'm sure I'm coming off preachy, but why there would be no consideration or empathy for the people a little ways down the coast is baffling.  It was 60 and sunny here in Denver, but it's also obvious that this was a devastating storm for a lot of people and the entire NY area. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Perfect time for some NHL players to put together a charity game and raise money for some of these people in those areas.

Have it right in Central Park since the stuff for the Classic isnt being used.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

But why assume that it is 'pointless fear mongering' when the only saving grace for Mass was that the storm happened to land 75 miles to the south?  I mean, it wasn't hype and fear mongering for NY and NJ.  In fact, if anything the people there were still caught off guard as to how bad it was.  I think everyone agrees that it is the worst storm in NYC's history, you've got dozens dead, and an unfathomable cost of damage along the coast there.  

So you sit there in Town X, near Boston, and chuckle that it was all hype??  That only makes sense from a standpoint of complete and total self-interest.  Red's message was a general one of empathy and concern for the 'east coast'.  Responding to say "I'm fine in Boston", and therefore the storm was a joke is hopelessly narcissistic.

I'm sure I'm coming off preachy, but why there would be no consideration or empathy for the people a little ways down the coast is baffling.  It was 60 and sunny here in Denver, but it's also obvious that this was a devastating storm for a lot of people and the entire NY area. 

If not for the luck of the draw (or the luck of the barometric pressure gradient), the storm could have proceeded 150 miles further north, prior to it's "hard left", and smacked Boston right in the face.  I doubt that anyone there would have considered the whole thing "over-hyped", in such case. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

B's should have kept Kobasew... everybody chill it

The storm was horrific and devastating- I live on the Ct. shoreline - It was also over-hyped and sensationalized for ratings by the vermin in the media

The NHLPA can't do math

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

B's should have kept Kobasew... everybody chill it

The storm was horrific and devastating- I live on the Ct. shoreline - It was also over-hyped and sensationalized for ratings by the vermin in the media

The NHLPA can't do math

Maybe Fehr should buy an abacus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

If not for the luck of the draw (or the luck of the barometric pressure gradient), the storm could have proceeded 150 miles further north, prior to it's "hard left", and smacked Boston right in the face.  I doubt that anyone there would have considered the whole thing "over-hyped", in such case. 

Yes, but this didn't happen.

Writing about possibilities is endless and pointless.  Why not have it hit Boston and have a massive cold front, turning the hurricane into a blizzard which dumps 10 feet of snow?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

At which point in time did I "chuckle"?  Once again, Fletcher, you're trying to blast me and make this all about me when I've been writing about the storm in Boston.  I'm not sure why.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

At which point in time did I "chuckle"?  Once again, Fletcher, you're trying to blast me and make this all about me when I've been writing about the storm in Boston.  I'm not sure why.

Aren't you better off ignoring these threads?

Are your comments going to prevent another such thread when the next disaster happens?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Thanks for the nice sentiments Red.

For the record it's always easier to talk about these types of things and the over/under hype with the benefit of hindsight. I would be willing a lot of people disagree with the idea that it was just scare tactics and something to write about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to call it hype or scare tactics just because it luckily missed us seems a bit wrong.

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/2012/10/30/state-state-look-the-east-coast-superstorm/UbLVO79OfYGeyKON9qT46J/story.html

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/10/hurricane_sandy_the_superstorm.html

Not the best links, but informative enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yumpin' Yimminy, how can a post hoping that everyone is safe lead to this mudfest? Sigh. 98 fatalities total so far in NA (165 total), glad no one from here appears to be among those.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Yumpin' Yimminy, how can a post hoping that everyone is safe lead to this mudfest? Sigh. 98 fatalities total so far in NA (165 total), glad no one from here appears to be among those.

One can only wish.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to red75's comment:

You need to ask ?

Sections
Shortcuts