Three Teams Now Over the Cap...Significantly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Three Teams Now Over the Cap...Significantly

With TB signing Morrow they now join the Hawks and Philly by being significantly over the cap in their current condition:

Philly: -$3,061,429, 22 players signed

CHI: -$2,216,795, 23 players signed

TB: -$1,142,927, 23 players signed

Currently the B's are:

$1,640,857, 18 players signed

Maybe our infatuation with "balancing the books" with our BDC scenarios are misguided? Perhaps PC will just sign who needs to be signed and worry about being over the cap in September/October like these other teams seem intent on doing? We know the team needs to sign at least 3 more players to have a full roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Three Teams Now Over the Cap...Significantly

Oh, absolutely, jm.  Ab-so-freakin-lutely.

I would guess there are three or four subjects on here that make people go "oh, crap, here we go with Book's rant on [X,Y,Z] again..." the way they do with shupe and goalie contracts.  JT Superstar.  E-harmony.  TimBit NCAA defensemen, and everybody's favourite player, Capp Spaes.  So I totally agree that the obsession with Cap Space and how to manage it strategically is so totally overblown on this board - but that's not unusual.  Pretty sure there are about 17 people in the world who understand the NFL cap rules, and as much as the NHL's rules are simpler, who wants to do the work on every issue just for schists and giggles?

I recently took a step back  in one corner of this debate.  I can see the value of having a small amount of free space under the Cap all year because it allows you to accumulate significant real dollars that can be used to pay a rental player with a disproportionately large Cap hit.  For every million dollars you have available to spend at the deadline, you can afford add about $3.877M in annual cap hit.  So if you maintain about $1.2M in space right up to the deadline, you can add guys in the Loui Eriksson, Jacob Voracek, van Riemsdyk, etc. pay bracket.  You're gambling that you can find that guy at the deadline, but you have the room to add him.  The way I've always looked at it is that you're better off spending that $1.2 from the start and putting the best team you can on the ice - don't let the hope of a player at the deadline trump the presence of a player from camp onwards.  Similarly, if you get to the deadline and think you need someone to put you over the top, you can always Derek Morris someone - move them for less than market value just to get rid of them so you can add the piece you want (Seidenberg in that case).  But if what we're talking about is keeping a 22nd player on the roster who watches from the press box, or paying for a $2M fourth line winger rather than an $800K winger, then it's much more palatable to take the risk.

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

With TB signing Morrow they now join the Hawks and Philly by being significantly over the cap in their current condition:

Currently the B's are:

Maybe our infatuation with "balancing the books" with our BDC scenarios are misguided? Perhaps PC will just sign who needs to be signed and worry about being over the cap in September/October like these other teams seem intent on doing? We know the team needs to sign at least 3 more players to have a full roster.

You would risk a major deal in order to do that where we have zero pull.  Philly is a mess.  Chicago will deal a dman and likely sharp.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Currently the B's are:

You would risk a major deal in order to do that where we have zero pull.  Philly is a mess.  Chicago will deal a dman and likely sharp.  

I have no idea what this means, shupe.  Do you mean someone would offer an RFA a major deal?  Or do you mean it would take a major deal to get them back under the cap?

[object HTMLDivElement]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

That's it really. Cap constraints are basically a myth until the season actually starts. Anything can happen until then. No reason to obsess on balancing the books until it is mandated. There are other options. It is a risk to go over of course but obviously some teams feel that it is worth taking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Currently the B's are under: $1,640,857, 18 players signed"

That is without flying Savard in for his physical and using the $4M LTIR. PC doesn't need to do anything, especially with his statement that "teams have offered cap relief". Chiarelli is just waiting for the right deal and I think that will be a right-handed shot while shedding a contract.

Next summer Chicago is at $65M and will need to sign 7 players, 4 defenseman. Hossa will be 36 and on the hook at $5.25M till 2020-2021...Yee Ouch. Giving up Sharp to keep Hossa down the road would not be what I would have done. I would have used the compliance on Hossa.

Pronger will give the Flyers just under $5M in LTIR for 3 more years. Tampa doesn't have that luxury, Yzerman must shed a salary or two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

People are very concerned with the B's cap situation and how are they going to this and how are they going to that.

Eriksson slides up to the first line right wing

Second line stays the same

Third line gets (someone from Providence)

Fourth line gets a hockey player instead of a skating clown

Defense is fine

Goaltending is fine.

What's the issue?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

People are very concerned with the B's cap situation and how are they going to this and how are they going to that.

Defense is fine

Goaltending is fine.

What's the issue?

In a nutshell, the forward group isn't as sexy as last year.  That's what this is all about.  Of course, last year, who would have thought that Smith would be on the second line, Soderberg would break out, or Spooner would play 20+ games and be reasonably effective?  That Smith-Kelly-Soderberg line wasn't a much smaller question mark last year than it is this year.  When it all shook out, it looked great.  Better than planned.  This year, we could once again be looking at Kelly-Soderberg and an unknown on the third line - exactly as it started last year.  If you take the net result of subtracting Iginla and Thornton and adding Eriksson to the top line and a hockey player for the clown, that isn't far off even.  So, much like the cap consternation, the "roster on paper" calculation needs to compare last October to this October, not last March.  Miles to go between October and March as things shake out.

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Defense is fine

Goaltending is fine.

What's the issue?

Simply put: there is concern that re-signing Krug, Smith, and adding one of Florek/Fraser, may put them over the cap and the present roster is not (as Book put it) as "sexy" as last season. Hence, there needs" to be a salary dump or "trade for pick/prospect" to balance out the cap.

The point of the thread is that going over the cap in july is not the big deal some of us have made it out to be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Going over the cap now isn't a big deal in July if you can get under it and have a team that you can "l_ive"  (wth is this censored) with come October...

Line 1. Is Loui damaged goods? Or can he be the same player he was in Dallas? Worst case scenario, the first line is fairly porked.

Line 2. Will Smith suffer a sophmore jinx (whatever that is)? Or will he continue to improve? Will Marchand find his game consistently in the regular season? Or find it AT ALL in the playoffs? Worst case scenario, the second line is fairly porked.

Line 3. Was that Soderberg peaking? Or does he have more? Who plays the other wing? Worst case scenario, the third line is your average NHL third line.

Line 4. Like it or not, the fourth line had chemistry and often useful energy. Will it again? Worst case scenario, Paille and Campbell are REALLY good fourth line players.

These are significant questions of consistency and production. With no roster flexibility... THESE are the questions. And it's really naive to think "all is good in the hood" with this team.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

And it's really naive to think "all is good in the hood" with this team.

Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Paille, Campbell, Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton, Krug

And Rask.

Worrywarts be damned.

Maybe this team doesn't win the President's Trophy, but many here hate it anyway.  They're a playoff team if the remainder of the slots are filled with all AHLers.  But it won't be, because Eriksson, Soderberg, Kelly, McQuaid (yeah right) and Miller/Bartkowski will all be taking roster spots.

All is good in the hood.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

And it's really naive to think "all is good in the hood" with this team.

Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Paille, Campbell, Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton, Krug

And Rask.

Worrywarts be damned.

Maybe this team doesn't win the President's Trophy, but many here hate it anyway.  They're a playoff team if the remainder of the slots are filled with all AHLers.  But it won't be, because Eriksson, Soderberg, Kelly, McQuaid (yeah right) and Miller/Bartkowski will all be taking roster spots.

All is good in the hood.

If many of the above worst case scenarios come true, then all is NOT good in the hood NAS. Im not a worrywart, I just realize there are many things that could go wrong and the team doesn't have a lot of flexibility to adjust to them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Line 2. Will Smith suffer a sophmore jinx

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

He has ever since he did "Ali",all his stuff since then has been a big letdown.

[object HTMLDivElement]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

[object HTMLDivElement]

I dunno, I think I am Legend was pretty good :-P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Line 1. Is Loui damaged goods? Or can he be the same player he was in Dallas? Worst case scenario, the first line is fairly porked.

Line 3. Was that Soderberg peaking? Or does he have more? Who plays the other wing? Worst case scenario, the third line is your average NHL third line.

Of the 4 scenarios you posited these two intrigue me the most.

Line1: The Eriksson question

The debate has been done to death so I have no wish to get another food fight going. Two points to note though overall. First, he has had two very underwhelming seasons back to back so far offensive-wise. Whatever the reasons (brain damage, shortened season) this is the case and indisputable. Second, even before the brain damage PC and CJ were not thinking of having Eriksson play on the Krecji line. He was supposed to play with Bergeron. If that were not the case then PC would not have gambled on Iginla. That also is indisputable. We will find out soon enough if he meshes with Lucic and Krecji, scoring 30 (even 40,yeah right) as some on these boards argue.

Line 3: The Soderberg Question: He had a hell of a second half to the season after a (to put it kindly) slow start. Now, for me, this corresponded to when Eriksson came back from injury which gave a competent goalscorer for Yeti to play with. If/when Eriksson goes to the first line, does Yeti get that same linemate quality with Kelly and an AHLer (Florek or Fraser)? Or do his numbers flatline? To me this is a big question. Of course this is in the probability PC does not find another option.

All that said, NAS is right. This team is a playoff team as is. The sky is not falling. And the President's trophy means nothing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

n

Of the 4 scenarios you posited these two intrigue me the most.

Line1: The Eriksson question

The debate has been done to death so I have no wish to get another food fight going. Two points to note though overall. First, he has had two very underwhelming seasons back to back so far offensive-wise. Whatever the reasons (brain damage, shortened season) this is the case and indisputable. Second, even before the brain damage PC and CJ were not thinking of having Eriksson play on the Krecji line. He was supposed to play with Bergeron. If that were not the case then PC would not have gambled on Iginla. That also is indisputable. We will find out soon enough if he meshes with Lucic and Krecji, scoring 30 (even 40,yeah right) as some on these boards argue.

Line 3: The Soderberg Question: He had a hell of a second half to the season after a (to put it kindly) slow start. Now, for me, this corresponded to when Eriksson came back from injury which gave a competent goalscorer for Yeti to play with. If/when Eriksson goes to the first line, does Yeti get that same linemate quality with Kelly and an AHLer (Florek or Fraser)? Or do his numbers flatline? To me this is a big question. Of course this is in the probability PC does not find another option.

All that said, NAS is right. This team is a playoff team as is. The sky is not falling. And the President's trophy means nothing.

2014-15 Playoff team- yes, of course

Roster as good as last year - Nope

Will need to do more with less...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha,good one,i guess its passable,best of some bad ones.

[object HTMLDivElement]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

2014-15 Playoff team- yes, of course

Roster as good as last year - Nope

Will need to do more with less...

If doing more means playing to their potential in the playoffs,then i think the B's will be fine.As witnessed many times,having home ice advantage in the playoffs means absolutely nothing.

[object HTMLDivElement]

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Line 1. Is Loui damaged goods? Or can he be the same player he was in Dallas? Worst case scenario, the first line is fairly porked."

@Sportsnutty

How many games are you willing to give Eriksson on the 1st line before thinking of a trade ?

Touching on what Book said, I agree that PC will try to get to the deadline in March before adding another RW veteran if he doesn't jettison Kellly after e few pre-season games. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I'm not saying the Bruins aren't a playoff team. I'd bet my house that they are. All I'm saying is, if the 2nd line doesn't produce (due to what COULD go wrong with Smith and/or Marchand) or Loui doesn't gel or score 20-25 goals or the 3rd line becomes very average... there is ZERO flexibility to make a shake up. That doesn't bode well and is definitely NOT a-ok going into a season with that many question marks and few possibilities of addressing them if they come up.
    aka. For the Bruins standards, thats not "good in the hood" in my book.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

How many games are you willing to give Eriksson on the 1st line before thinking of a trade ?

Works both way Dog. How many games are you willing to spot Eriksson? Personally, 15-20 games is the benchmark for me. That whole "he needs to adjust to new linemates and a new system" argument is out the window this season.

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Haha,good one,i guess its passable,best of some bad ones.

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol...personally I would rather not see Wild Wild West again

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

"Line 1. Is Loui damaged goods? Or can he be the same player he was in Dallas? Worst case scenario, the first line is fairly porked."

@Sportsnutty

Touching on what Book said, I agree that PC will try to get to the deadline in March before adding another RW veteran if he doesn't jettison Kellly after e few pre-season games. 

I think Eriksson returns to form and hits 30 and I also think if Chris Kelly is on this team he has a good year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

@Sportsnutty

Tough question San. If he is struggling, you might see the whole line struggle as we saw last year in stretches.

I dunno All-Star break? So late January. That's nearly 50 games though. You can dig yourself a hole that's tough to dig out of by then. How often does PC trade prior to the deadline? Never.

I'm hoping Loui has 15 goals by January 25th and this is all moot.

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think Eriksson returns to form and hits 30 and I also think if Chris Kelly is on this team he has a good year.

Duly noted

• Sections
    Shortcuts