Thumbs up to the Bruins organization...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Thumbs up to the Bruins organization...

...for immediately denouncing last night's racist tweets with a statement, saying in part, that they "are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”

There are a number of stories, interviews, and other threads quickly emerging on this topic, both locally and nationally, and already it seems some Boston.com readers are ignoring it or quickly dismissing the comments as being from a few disgruntled fans, or those who don't live in the city and root for other teams, etc.  Well, take a look at the collection of tweets, if you haven't.  There's probably closer to a few hundred submissions, and many had the tone of die-hard homers.  Pretty vile stuff--reminiscent of the way local racists treated Bill Russel in in the  b 60's.  Yeah, almost 50 years ago.

I know it's highly unlikely any of these offensive rants were from posters on this site--most of whom are extremely knowledgeable and insightful  However, at the same time, many "regulars" were quick to criticize Vancouver fans last year for their repugnant behavior following Game 7.  It's not because I don't want the hockey unverse linging up against the B's.  It's because it's plain wrong.  As Bruin fans, we're better than that...we gotta be.

Anyhow, I salute Joel Ward for playing the game the right way (and handling all this fallout with class)...and also congratulate the Caps on being the better team.  This time.

Hopefully, the Bruins and some of their fans can reflect this off-season, and 
    and make this city proud once again. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Thumbs up to the Bruins organization...

In Response to Thumbs up to the Bruins organization...:
    [QUOTE]...for immediately denouncing last night's racist tweets with a statement, saying in part, that they "are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.” There are a number of stories, interviews, and other threads quickly emerging on this topic, both locally and nationally, and already it seems some Boston.com readers are ignoring it or quickly dismissing the comments as being from a few disgruntled fans, or those who don't live in the city and root for other teams, etc.  Well, take a look at the collection of tweets, if you haven't.  There's probably closer to a few hundred submissions, and many had the tone of die-hard homers.  Pretty vile stuff--reminiscent of the way local racists treated Bill Russel in in the  b 60's.  Yeah, almost 50 years ago. I know it's highly unlikely any of these offensive rants were from posters on this site--most of whom are extremely knowledgeable and insightful  However, at the same time, many "regulars" were quick to criticize Vancouver fans last year for their repugnant behavior following Game 7.  It's not because I don't want the hockey unverse linging up against the B's.  It's because it's plain wrong.  As Bruin fans, we're better than that...we gotta be. Anyhow, I salute Joel Ward for playing the game the right way (and handling all this fallout with class)...and also congratulate the Caps on being the better team.  This time. Hopefully, the Bruins and some of their fans can reflect this off-season, and  and make this city proud once again. 
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]

There are millions of Bruins fans. Of course some are going to be racist. Racism does still exist, and is even more common on the internet (where people can safely hide behind their screens). Nothing that can be done about this, it's unfortunate, but racist comments on the internet are nothing new at all, and to be honest I'm not at all surprised that they happened.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Thumbs up to the Bruins organization...:
    [QUOTE]...for immediately denouncing last night's racist tweets with a statement, saying in part, that they "are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.” There are a number of stories, interviews, and other threads quickly emerging on this topic, both locally and nationally, and already it seems some Boston.com readers are ignoring it or quickly dismissing the comments as being from a few disgruntled fans, or those who don't live in the city and root for other teams, etc.  Well, take a look at the collection of tweets, if you haven't.  There's probably closer to a few hundred submissions, and many had the tone of die-hard homers.  Pretty vile stuff--reminiscent of the way local racists treated Bill Russel in in the  b 60's.  Yeah, almost 50 years ago. I know it's highly unlikely any of these offensive rants were from posters on this site--most of whom are extremely knowledgeable and insightful  However, at the same time, many "regulars" were quick to criticize Vancouver fans last year for their repugnant behavior following Game 7.  It's not because I don't want the hockey unverse linging up against the B's.  It's because it's plain wrong.  As Bruin fans, we're better than that...we gotta be. Anyhow, I salute Joel Ward for playing the game the right way (and handling all this fallout with class)...and also congratulate the Caps on being the better team.  This time. Hopefully, the Bruins and some of their fans can reflect this off-season, and  and make this city proud once again. 
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]
    Willie O'Ree anyone? The Bruins are the last NHL club that could be accused of being rascist since they did have the first black player after all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Good points.  And let's not forget Anson Carter.
    Yeah, I get the topic of racism is way too big for a hockey board.
    I just think last night's narrow-minded bigots make it difficult for the team and other hometown fans.
    It's almost like a Spike Lee film...
    "I see you're wearin' a Bruins jersey...so you a racist?"

The Bruins organiation distanced itself from these comments, and I think all Bruin fans with integrity should push back, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thumbs up to the Bruins organization...:
    [QUOTE]Good points.  And let's not forget Anson Carter. Yeah, I get the topic of racism is way too big for a hockey board. I just think last night's narrow-minded bigots make it difficult for the team and other hometown fans. It's almost like a Spike Lee film... "I see you're wearin' a Bruins jersey...so you a racist?" The Bruins organiation distanced itself from these comments, and I think all Bruin fans with integrity should push back, too.
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]
    I think the banana on the ice during the pre-season showed that sadly, there are still some vile bigots out there. This is just another reminder that they haven't gone away. It's sad that some still feel the need to judge another based on the colour of their skin. It takes a very weak mind to hurl racial slurs over the internet. You wouldn't believe some of the comments left on Youtube. It seems like no matter what the video, some jag off will find the need to make a racial slur. It really is sad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

Are we just going to bring up every black player the B's have had?  Wasn't there a goon named Banks in the early nineties?  I haven't followed this story but never thought anyone was accusing the club of racism but just some fans who aren't doing anyone any favors with such behavior.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Well said, Dez.  This story will die down, eventually, but there will be a stigma for Bruin fans--an unfortunate component of last night's crushing loss. 

And it's something I don't think any of us anticipated, or want as we move forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

The Bruins simply stated the obvious in their post. They just wanted to make sure nobody associated the club with racist idiocy--not that anyone with any sense ever would. But the Bruins organization realizes it's a dumb world, as made even more clear every night on Twitter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's disgusting, and I'm glad that it was immediately denounced by the Bruins.

Unfortunately racism still has an undercurrent throughout society, and as such it'll rear it's ugly head even in hockey. It certainly isn't limited to this team.

Some of the comments that have been made on my Jets board directed towards Evander Kane have been every bit as repugnant as those made against Ward.

I do take heart though that when these types of behaviour come to the surface, there is serious pushback from across the board. Remember a few months ago when racist comments were made on this board and directed towards Simmonds (I think it was Simmonds). Almost every poster here freaked out and told the poster who did it to take a hike.

I think it's better to focus on the reaction to the comments than the comments themselves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Well stated, Red.  And I bet most Bruin fans would love to have Kane on this team, especially after his KO of Matt Cooke!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

There are idiots everywhere.  Move on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Thumbs up to the Bruins organization... : Willie O'Ree anyone? The Bruins are the last NHL club that could be accused of being rascist since they did have the first black player after all.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    It's not the Bruins organization. It's Boston and it still exits. Red and Walter Brown of the Celtics were the first team to start 5 black players in the 63-64 season. Yet we know why the Larry Bird Celtics were so popular, not taking anything away from the  great player that he was. Unfortunately some still exits and it's enough. The big 3 Celtics are very popular and I was at the parade in 08 and there were many Black people there, where as the 86 parade you saw virtually none. Things have gotten better but let's be honest and admit it still exits here. That being said, hopefully it was a bunch of young idiot's who aren't really hockey and Bruins fans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

What about when people take shots at Marchand's nose? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Twitter allows people to be anonymous and think out loud.  It really doesn't matter in the real world.  The hub bub surrounding this is basically saying, "Oh my my my.  Racism still exists?"  Yes it does.  Ignorance is everywhere.

Total non-story.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

NAS, it should be a non-story, but it gives some people the right to take the "high ground" and use it to grin their axe on the league, the Bruins, or whatever they dream up. 

Good on Joel Ward for his hard work, and being in the right place at the right time. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Well, what did you think the Bruins were going to say?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Yeah, racism exists.  Always will.  There may also be a serial killer somewhere who's a Bruin fan.  It's not a perfect world.

The point is, these rants were ugly and extensive. 

And it does become a story if some day, a stud free agent who just happens to be of a different race or ethnic background,  decides that Boston really wouldn't be a "comfortable" place to be, based on what happened this week.

Some Bruin fans showed their true colors this week--and it was a pathetic display.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Yes we could have had Tim Raines and few others who put it in their contract not to play in Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Tim Raines played hockey..?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]Tim Raines played hockey..?
    Posted by wesman[/Q
    In his contract not to play for the Red Sox. I was talking aBout all sports.