Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

That Osgood thread got me thinking.
    I don't think winning 2 Vezina's , the Conn Symthe and a Stanley Cup is enough to get into the "Hall of Fame"  for Thomas .
    Would it take winning another cup ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

Years in the NHL will probably be what holds him back.  Not that what he was able to do overseas is anything to laugh at but when it comes down to it I believe that he hasn't played in enough seasons, Osgood had what 15/17? seasons.  If he is able to put maybe 2 really good to great seasons together he might get in eventually.

My heart says yes but where he stands now logic wins out like you said he has done a lot recently but its not enough ...hopefully yet...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Belfour also has one Cup and two Vezinas, but the difference is GP in the NHL.  Eddie had 963;  TT has one-third that number (319 thus far).

Looking at 'short career' goalies, Dryden only played 397 games, but racked up an amazing 5 Vezinas and 6 Cups.

I would say that, if he retired today, Thomas doesn't get in.  But if he can rack up 2 - 3 more high quality seasons, and adding at least one more Cup or Vezina, he would likely get the nod.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

BsL,

I think this was beaten to death after the cup. 
    Osgood doesn't deserve to be in the HOF next to guys like Roy, Marty for example.  He simply wasn't a stellar goalie.  His numbers would put him in discusion but he wasn't an outstanding goalie.

TT is an outstanding goalie but hasn't played enough yrs of dominant hockey to deserve a nod.  Give him 3 more yrs like last yr and then we can open the door.  If he falters back to last yrs results?  He has had two all world type yrs.  Set standards this year.  I still need more to give him my 100% yes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I hate to say it, but not likely. Seems like the HHoF is very strict when it comes to induction of goalies. The last three were Belfour, Roy and Fuhr, then nobody until you get to Billy Smith in 1993. That's tough to crack.

I imagine CuJo will make it when he's eligible. Hasek should get in. The bubble case people are talking about is Osgood and I have no idea why. He's 10th on the all-time list with 401 wins, is 4th all-time in win percentage, has a career save % above .900 and a better GAA than Roy and Belfour. His GAA is actually 4th best all time as well. Oh, and 3 rings, 2 as the starter. Case closed.

Did a quick search of other goalies not in the Hall: Vernon (385 wins), Vanbiesbrouck (374), Moog (372), Barrasso (369), Vachon (355), Richter (301)

Thomas has 161 wins, plus playoffs. His GAA and SV% would qualify him, but he'd need another 5 stellar seasons to get him in range for overall wins.

It's too bad, but I believe they have displays that highlight certain achievements, and Timmy's 2010-2011 season and playoff run surely would qualify as something to present at the HHoF.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Thomas has also been named to the First All-Star Team twice, in addition to his two Vezina's and one Conn Smythe.

If Timmy gets named to the First All-Star Team one more time (or maybe gets named to the Second All-Star Team two times), or wins another Vezina or Conn Smythe, Timmy gets in. As is now, I would put Timmy in before Osgood.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

i'd rather see #30 go in the rafters someday for both cheesey and timmah.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Only three guys have won more than 2 Vez.es since it went back to a judgement call (it was a pure numbers game like the Art Ross for a while).  Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek.  I think a third Vez would be the kicker.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Good question, and this topic has been up for discussion a bunch of times but it's worth it. Osgood and Thomas are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of career length, and I've seen compelling arguments both for and against both getting into the hall of fame. Thomas is a far superior goalie (obviously) compared to Osgood, but I hope both get in.

A third Vezina, as Bookboy suggests, would likely be enough. I also think based on his last several seasons that if Thomas continues to play at a high level for just the next three seasons, then he gets in. He doesn't have to win the Smythe or Vezina trophies every season, just has to ring up 30 wins, a GA of around 2.50 and high SP for a handful of more years.

The question is ... what happens to The Tank after his current contract expires in two seasons? Do the Bruins invest in a nearly 40 year old goalie at that point and do they continue to place Rask (and to a much lesser extent, Khudobin) in a lesser role?

Remember, not everyone was sold on Thomas before last year's glorious run (you know who you are). I'm not sure a guy at his age would be worth another contract. But then again, as my tagline suggests ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not good enough for long enough.

No.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?:
    In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : Regardless of what happens in future years? I don't believe even the great nas can predict the future. I believe while not quite hall of fame yet. Thomas is not far from the hhof. Seems like a lot of people would quit doubting what Thomas can do. Another Vezina, and cup would about make him a lock. He has the team, and the ability to do both. I will say highly possible. Except for Kanes_donuts, I didn't see anyone predict a Vezina, Conn Smythe, and Stanley cup  for Thomas this season. In fact most had him slated as the backup. Just proves you never know what can happen in sports!
    Posted by juniorfalcons19

There are very rare exceptions where a player doesn't have a long career and still gets in (Cam Neely), but I doubt that will be the case here.  People are putting Osgood in for his 400 wins.  Thomas only has 161.   People want to give Thomas the nod for two Vezinas.  He has one more than Jim Carey.

Thomas has posted two superstar years and one good one.  If he can put up superstar numbers for another three or five, then maybe I'll believe it.

I don't think that'll happen, so I don't think he'll get in.  I think he won't have been good enough for long enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Osgood yes, Thomas no...However, should Thomas win a 3rd Vezina and/or another Cup before he retires he is..If he has three years with thirty plus wins, but no hardware , he wont get in.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The question is ... what happens to The Tank after his current contract expires in two seasons? Do the Bruins invest in a nearly 40 year old goalie at that point and do they continue to place Rask (and to a much lesser extent, Khudobin) in a lesser role? Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

I actually think this one's out of the GM's hands. No way Chiarelli can give him $5+ million in two years when there's a strong viable option waiting. If Thomas is willing to take a lesser salary for a 2-year extension offered NOW that would bring him to the age of 41, then Boston can keep him. If he wins his job, great. If not, he retires a Bruin and is a stellar backup option.

I don't see that happening, though. He'll want to wait and become a UFA after 2012-2013, be a bonafide #1 starter, and take some insane offer from a desperate club.

I know the Thomas/Rask debate is a tired one around here, but I firmly believe that a declining Thomas will still leave the Bs in good shape for the next 2 years of his contract plus another 2. The Bs spend a total of $6.250 on their two goalies ($5 for Tim / $1.25 for Rask). If it were me, I'd punt with the same scenario for another 2 years. Go ahead and extend Thomas now for 2 more @ $3.75 each to finish out his career, then offer the saved $1.25 to Rask for 2 more years to double his salary up to $2.5mil. Same investment in the position. If Rask doesn't want to double his salary and hold out, then the RFA status will net Boston something in return either through arbitration or an offer sheet / trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Tim Thomas is close to the hall of fame.  Longevity is good, but a question that the induction group always asks is was the player at any given point in time the best, or among the very best, in the game at their position.  Having been goalie of the year twice makes that answer clearly, yes.  This epic Stanley Cup run really helps.  I think if he has one more cup run he's a lock, if he has a couple more really good seasons he's very likely in.  Another Vezina would also make it a sure thing.  Think about it this way: they usually induct about 3 a year.  If you were to look back on this past year of hockey, name three players that stood out, that defined the game.  Tim Thomas should be one of those on any list.  There will be a piece of hockey history, maybe 5 years, where Thomas was the best at what he does, one of the most talked-about players in the game.  That is about 5% or 1/30 of the NHL's life.  I would think that would make him one of the 30 top goalies in history, and there are just over 30 goalies already in.  I think he should be there, but another couple good years would make it a much more sure thing.  Also, it is the hall of 'Fame'.  Thomas is and will be a 'Fame'ous player now and into history based on his story and spectacular run to a championship.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

timmy thomas is a hall of fame shoe in now no doubt and in a few years number 30 will be raised to the raffters in his honor and lets not hear any boohoo nonsense about gary cheevers being snubbed timmy thomas is better. all cheever had was a  fancy mask an nothing else

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Another thing to consider regarding TT getting in the HOF, is whether the first year that he is eligible to be nominated, whether there are other strong candidates also eligible for first year nomination.

It gets a lot harder to be nominated into the HOF past your first year HOF nomination eligibility, as there is a larger pool of good hockey players for the HOF nomination committee to choose from. 

In short, if TT is the standout player of all the players eligible for first year HOF nomination, it would help his case a lot more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Only three guys have won more than 2 Vez.es since it went back to a judgement call (it was a pure numbers game like the Art Ross for a while).  Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek.  I think a third Vez would be the kicker.
    Posted by Bookboy007

so you think another Vezina will get him in ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Possibly, if he adds to his resume with two or three more Vezinas and a couple more Stanley Cup wins before he retires.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

timmy thomas is a hall of fame shoe in now no doubt and in a few years number 30 will be raised to the raffters in his honor and lets not hear any boohoo nonsense about gary cheevers being snubbed timmy thomas is better. all cheever had was a  fancy mask an nothing else
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts

"GARY Cheevers?"

Uh, "Gary" had 2 Stanley Cups to go along with his mask.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Posted by Kanes-Donuts

If you want to make an opinion statement. I think it's at least imperative to get the person you're using as an example name right. It's Gerry Cheevers & I can almost say that IF the # 30 gets retired? It'll be both names on it. And if all you think that GERRY Cheevers had was a fancy mask; then I'm afraid you don't know much of  ANYTHING about the Bruins!!
    I'm one of TT's biggest supporters; but to say he's a shew in? That's a little premature! IMHO I think the only way TT gets in is if he does something great in every season for the remainder of this contract. And he'll have to do something great for another season in his next contract. If he gets one. Longetivity; isn't on TT's side here. So; he'll have to do wonders in other categories in order to be able to make it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

2 vezinas and mvp in the playoffs where he showed the best goaltending in the history of hockey witness ever. timmy thomas is a lock for the hall of fame when he retires but that wont be for 5 more years

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Tim Thomas is not a lock for the Hall Of Fame right now. I am one of his biggest supporters here, I agree he had one of , if not the best single seasons ever by a goalie. I am aware of the the 2 Vezinas, the Conn Smythe, The Cup and the single season record for save percentage, and his path taken to where he stands now might be the most incredible part of all of this. However he needs 2 or 3 very good seasons to make it in my opinion. Like i stated before should he win one more of the credentials he already has captured with very good numbers over the 2 to 3 years then i would say his chances are greatly enhanced.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Kanes to say Thomas is a lock is a bit of a far stretch at this point.  Plenty of goalies have had a few good to great years.  And some, J.S. Giguere come to mind, have slipped after those years.  The HOF wants consistency.  Timmy has done a lot with the time in the NHL he has had so far.  However its going to take a little more to get in.  Right now he might be a lock for consideration but not to get in.

And like many others on this board, I am a Thomas fan (general goalie fan to be exact) but I can't just think with my heart here. 

That dude Cheevers was one heck of a goalie who knows what he could have continued to do in the NHL if he didn't jump ship to the WHA for a few seasons during what may have been his prime.

Sections
Shortcuts