Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

So if Thomas comes into the league at 20, does the exact same things over the course of his first three seasons and then gets a career ending injury thats different?  Im trying to figure out the logic in this one.  We're not talking about 1 season, we're not even talking about 2 out of 3 honestly.  Thomas has been on the rise for the past 4 or 5 seasons.  Who knows what happens next, but I dont know how you keep out a guy who has set this many records.  What, Roy, Belfour and Fuhr are better because they had longer careers and won more games even though Thomas holds goaltending records they never will?  Is that the logic?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?:
    [QUOTE]So if Thomas comes into the league at 20, does the exact same things over the course of his first three seasons and then gets a career ending injury thats different?  Im trying to figure out the logic in this one.  We're not talking about 1 season, we're not even talking about 2 out of 3 honestly.  Thomas has been on the rise for the past 4 or 5 seasons.  Who knows what happens next, but I dont know how you keep out a guy who has set this many records.  What, Roy, Belfour and Fuhr are better because they had longer careers and won more games even though Thomas holds goaltending records they never will?  Is that the logic?
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

No, it's not different.  It's the same.  He doesn't get in.  Thomas has had two "Hall-Worthy" seasons.  That's it.  His biggest supporters cannot make a case for anything more than two seasons.  People don't get elected to the HOF for two seasons.

Yes, Roy, Belfour and Fuhr are proven to be better because they did it for a very long time.  Thomas had an average season, a great one, a poor one and a great one.  That's all.

Two seasons doesn't get you in the Hall of Fame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : He'll have more options than this. He'll get money for speaking, autograph shows, endorsements, and if he opens a goaltending/hockey school or camp he'll make some money. Mike Euruzione made a living off of one goal, Timmy will be just fine. TT doesn't strike me as someone we will see on MTV Cribs anytime soon flaunting his bling, showing off his numerous "whips" and giving us a tour of his estate with the obligitory Scarface poster gracing the living room wall.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

My point is that he will play as long as he can and make $1M or $2M a year

He already has a goaltending school.

I'm going to guess that he won't make too much dough at autograph shows, pocket change for someone who makes $5M/yr. 

People don't just work for themselves.  Athletes that make serious dough can set their family up for generations to come, possibly forever (with good investing).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

One thing in Thomas's favour is that it is the Hockey hall of fame and not NHL HoF.  He had an MVP season in Finland, that will help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

[QUOTE]One thing in Thomas's favour is that it is the Hockey hall of fame and not NHL HoF.  He had an MVP season in Finland, that will help.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I referenced this in an earlier post and have been thinking about it:  Does the HOF consider this for the modern day players.  I know in the 70's they did as you had players who were amazing but didn't play in the NHL for political reasons.

Would that be considered today?  He won a championship in 99 overseas, led a team to a championship game in the lockout year (against many NHL competitors) while winning the MVP of the league (a lot to say given how many NHL guys were in the league that year)

Would this get recognized by the HOF in today's hockey era? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Slava Fetisov has a much larger international career than his nine NHL years, but his level of success was magnificent.  Thomas' international career doesn't come close.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Bigvig, While all of that may be true, it would all be represented whether Thomas was inducted or not.. I really think hes going to have to hit 250 wins, or win another cup to get in..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

It's going to be tough but it IS possible.  Three 30+ wins a season gets him there.  The Bruins are a very good team.  That helps.  The question will be how many wins per year Tuukka gets.

I say if he gets to 250 wins while grabbing another Vezina along the way he'll get in.  If he does that AND gets another Cup and Conn Smythe he's a shoo-in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, it would be part of what is looked at.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : I referenced this in an earlier post and have been thinking about it:  Does the HOF consider this for the modern day players.  I know in the 70's they did as you had players who were amazing but didn't play in the NHL for political reasons. Would that be considered today?  He won a championship in 99 overseas, led a team to a championship game in the lockout year (against many NHL competitors) while winning the MVP of the league (a lot to say given how many NHL guys were in the league that year) Would this get recognized by the HOF in today's hockey era? 
    Posted by nix02061[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

After reading your comments I'm convinced he needs more games under his belt.
    He might need to win another cup to even have a mention to the HOF. Then IMO they can't  ignore his achievements.
    As for retirement a player will stretch his career as long as they can . Depending on the role of some players that make 1m-2m a season nearing their retirement and only a very small percentage of players will achieve that. 
    Their life styles will change drastically once they're out of hockey otherwise their money will run out fast. They know it and are being told , that's incentive enough to keep trying to play. They still have most of their lives to support themselves and/or family (x-wife).
    Investing ?  A big risk. Ask some of the players that lost everything.
    Opening a restaurant is what many of these guys end up doing but they'de better be hooked up with some smart people in the restaurant buisness (Bourque-Nick) and Bourque has a big name. 
    About 70% of NHL players are not as popular except in their own towns. Imagine  Ryder's Chowder house in Bonavista : ) 
    Then there are big names like Brodeur that's hooked up with Souray, they have a pizza chain in Montreal and instead of growing it's getting smaller. 
    All this to say after hockey it's not all uphill on the financial scale.  Players will play as long as they can and Thomas might reach a respectable amount of games but he'll need to win another trophy or two to make it in the HOF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

I was arguing this with a friend of mine last week. 

IMO, it's way to early to even think of the HOF for Thomas. He has to have a lot of success in the next few seasons before this is even worth discussing. While he's had recent success, it's not enough to get him into the HOF.

My friend believes he should get in. He factors in the success Thomas had in Finland and the Olympics. He then made the comparison to Tretiak, who is in the HOF but never played in the NHL.

He lost the argument right there. The only comparison to Tretiak is they both have a last name that starts with "T".  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : It's going to be tough but it IS possible.  Three 30+ wins a season gets him there.  The Bruins are a very good team.  That helps.  The question will be how many wins per year Tuukka gets. I say if he gets to 250 wins while grabbing another Vezina along the way he'll get in.  If he does that AND gets another Cup and Conn Smythe he's a shoo-in.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

I agree, I wasnt saying he cant get in.. But he will need to get to 400-450 games played and hit 250 wins with more accomplishments, or get to 300 wins while being atleast a very good goalie.. Looking at his career at this point though, he has accomplished less then most goalies have at his age..

Miller for instance may never win a cup with buffalo, but at 6 ? years younger will have far more wins, probably another vezina or two, and retire being regarded as one of the top goalies during his tenure.. Thomas has been one of the best goalies during the past 3 years, but over the course of his career to this point hes been good with a couple great seasons, not enough..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

simply put. its just never going to happen. not a chance, not enough years in the league

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : Once again never is long time. There is a chance. Only time will tell. If Thomas is dominate two more years, I would say highly likely!
    Posted by juniorfalcons19[/QUOTE]

and you also said you didn't copy cat someones name and that you played for the junior falcons, so i won't take your word for it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : He'll have more options than this. He'll get money for speaking, autograph shows, endorsements, and if he opens a goaltending/hockey school or camp he'll make some money. Mike Euruzione made a living off of one goal, Timmy will be just fine. TT doesn't strike me as someone we will see on MTV Cribs anytime soon flaunting his bling, showing off his numerous "whips" and giving us a tour of his estate with the obligitory Scarface poster gracing the living room wall.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel? TT I know has shown up at hockey schools; but you can't teach his style of goaltending! I know there might be some techniques he can give; but I bet if you ever put this man in room with his hi-light reel & asked him to explain a certain way he made certain saves?

He'd be like....."Well....actually on this particular play I saw St.Louis open; but I also know Stamkos likes to shoot; so I kind of put only 60% of my weight on the my left leg; instead of 80%; but then Stamkos shifted more like he might pass; so then I had to adjust both my leg weight percentage; but then I heard St.Louis scream NO PASS HERE...So I figured Big Z must of taken the angle from Martin; So then I had to re-adjust again; but then Stamkos passed it & I had to....ummm....huh! I had no idea I had to get over that far....I'm not sure how I did that to be quite honest heh,heh!"

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

after all stars games and two vezinas and a con smyth and some of the best goaltending seen ever there are still people against timmy thomas i think you should all quit as bruins fans or are all of you just blindly following what ever ye old winesock says

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : I also called you out about your lying habits. Just sign in with your stolen name, simple. You lie pbergeron-dkrejci-thedubber. Your first lie about 32 minutes for arguing offsides, made you decide to try the other guys a liar angle. Once again, bring up a post with my name or simply sign in with it. No one believes you forgot the password. Your lack of hockey knowledge is as funny as your false accusations !!

Is the dauber really PBergeron?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kanes__donuts. Show kanes__donuts's posts

after all stars games and two vezinas and a con smyth and some of the best goaltending seen ever there are still people against timmy thomas i think you should all quit as bruins fans or are all of you just blindly following what ever ye old winesock says. timmy thomas is the bestest goaler in the history of history itself.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : Yes, he forgets he made this laughable claim under dkrejci46. Like I said, I have never seen another poster with my nick, and if he really had one, he could simply sign in to varify his false claim! He should try talking hockey, and stop trying to redeem his lie about 32 pims for offside.

But he was screaming at the ref.  That has to account for something!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]after all stars games and two vezinas and a con smyth and some of the best goaltending seen ever there are still people against timmy thomas i think you should all quit as bruins fans or are all of you just blindly following what ever ye old winesock says
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]

Why are you here?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

alright, well, first off i have nothing to do with pbergeron, i was logging in here long before he disappeared. second off, i really don't want to have to do this, but i guess i'll go digging to find an old thread where i posted to shut you up

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : Instead of making old threats, just do it. I never heard of you, don't care what you think. You seem obsessed with me, I don't swing that way. Try talking hockey instead of hiding your true identity. Like I said, two people would not make the same silly accusation. Sign in with your name, simple. Plus a guy with a cat in his pic will never shut me up!

just do it?
    you mean like this?

Sections
Shortcuts