Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day?:
    2 vezinas and mvp in the playoffs where he showed the best goaltending in the history of hockey witness ever. timmy thomas is a lock for the hall of fame when he retires but that wont be for 5 more years
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts

You just don't get it do you?!?
    Read what nite says.  No one on these boards is a bigger TT fan than he is.  What if TT falters again similar to the year Rask took over.  Right now he may be in discussion, but likely hasn't played long enough.  If he rides this current contract out with similar god-like numbers then yes I can see him getting in.  I think he needs at least 3 solid yrs and outstanding numbers.
    TT has had 2 outstanding yrs.  2 Avg yrs  and 2 Below Avg yrs.  That does not stand the test of time argument. 

I still think he wins the best goalie peformance in the finals argument. 

Here's hoping he has many many good yrs in a B's uniform. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Thomas is going to have to play longer to make the hall, 300 wins for a goalie is one of the lines goalies need to cross, and the HOF is for body of work, 2-3 good seasons, 2-3 great seasons won't put you in the hall..

I love thomas but unless he plays into his 40's and has a hasek like career path, I dont see it..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

JF, If he has another season like like last year, and then finishes the 4th year on his deal at .500 and retires i woul still find it a tough bid.. The HOF rewards career longevity as well, and there are mile stones..

Thomas playing in 400 games with 220 wins just isnt a large enough body of work for a guy who isnt retiring early because of a career ending injury..

Lindros will probably never be a halll of famer based on his short career numbers, but his numbers per season are certainly fitting..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

How about a repeat of last season? I know it's a longshot, but Parent did it. Would that be enough in everyones opinion?
    Posted by juniorfalcons19

JF. It's not a matter of OUR opinion. It's the matter of THIER opinion. In my heart & head I would put Timmy in. The guy did something that hasn't been done in the modern age! Matter of fact you can say he did it an era where these players are the best conditioned athletes on the planet. Unfortunately; the selection commitee for the HOF will never put anybody in because of one season. IF there was a section in the HOF for "Greatest Seasons" He'd be a lock!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : You just don't get it do you?!? Read what nite says.  No one on these boards is a bigger TT fan than he is.  What if TT falters again similar to the year Rask took over.  Right now he may be in discussion, but likely hasn't played long enough.  If he rides this current contract out with similar god-like numbers then yes I can see him getting in.  I think he needs at least 3 solid yrs and outstanding numbers. TT has had 2 outstanding yrs.  2 Avg yrs  and 2 Below Avg yrs.  That does not stand the test of time argument.  I still think he wins the best goalie peformance in the finals argument.  Here's hoping he has many many good yrs in a B's uniform. 
    Posted by shuperman

Watch your freakin' tongue boy; or I'll cut it out!!! That's blasphamy I tell ya! lol

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

RWK..
    He can play into his 40's I just don't see it.. With Rask waiting in the wings I dont think the bruins will extend thomas again as a starter, and with a cup, the olympics, a couple vezinas, I would be surprised if he went to another team as opposed to retiring, nothing behind it other then that being how i feel

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : Watch your freakin' tongue boy; or I'll cut it out!!! That's blasphamy I tell ya! lol
    Posted by nitemare-38

I need to proof read sometimes and use better words.  Especially on this topic. 

Falter= injury riddled season.   Better?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sviola877. Show sviola877's posts

Just thinking about it today, and I came to the conclusion that one more Vezina would do it for me.
    One cup
    One Conn Smythe
    3 Vezinas
    (should have won the heart this year)
    can't discount he has his name (for now) in the record books, for his 938 save %

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : Money is the best reason not to retire until you have too, regardless of team. You can bet Thomas will make it as long as possible for his wife and kids. I for one couldn't blame him!

Thomas has earned $25 million dollars, plus bonuses this year for his awards.. Money is not a motivator for him to keep playing at this point in his career unless he's been awful with it, in which case no amount of money will ever be enough..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

You know, if you look at just the past 3 seasons, he has done some remarkable things that havent been done in a long time, and has set MANY records.  The 2010 season he was injured, so lets not pretend he had a bad year, because he didnt.

2009 Crozier
    2009 Jennings
    2009 Vezina
    2010 Olympic Silver medalist
    2011 All time save percentage in a regular season (.938)
    2011 Only goalie to win 3 straight All-Star games. 
    2011 Only goalie to win a series without a PP goal scored for (and it was 7 games at that) 
    2011 Only Goalie to win the Conn Smythe, Vezina, Crozier and Stanley Cup in the same year. (First goalie since 75 to win all but the Crozier in the same year)
    2011 Only American goalie to win the Conn Smythe
    2011 Oldest player to win the Conn Smythe
    2011 Won 3 game 7's in a single playoff year, no other goalie has done this.
    2011 Set the all time saves in a single playoff year (798)
    2011 Set the all time saves in a finals 7 game series (238)
    2011 Set the all time lowest goals against in a finals 7 game series (8)
    2011 Posted a shutout as the opposing goalie in a game 7 of the finals (never been done before in HISOTRY)

Now, those are LEAGUE records, Im not even going into team records here.

Thomas has been the best goalie on the planet for 2 out of the last 3 seasons, and he was injured in 2010, so really, its absolutely amazing with the things he's done.  Absolutely amazing.  Think about all the goalies in HISTORY who havent done what he has done.  How about just in the past 30 years!!!!  Fuhr, Belfore, Roy, Broduer!  NONE of them have the records Thomas has.

I know his short career is going to hurt him, but I think these are accomplishments that MUST be represented in the HOF.  Just look at the things I posted and dont think about anything else.  Just the records that are held by this man now.  They MUST put him in there based solely on his achievements and nothing else should be a factor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Bigvig,
    While all of that may be true, it would all be represented whether Thomas was inducted or not.. I really think hes going to have to hit 250 wins, or win another cup to get in..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You know, if you look at just the past 3 seasons, he has done some remarkable things that havent been done in a long time, and has set MANY records.  The 2010 season he was injured, so lets not pretend he had a bad year, because he didnt.
    Posted by bigvig

No one is in the Hall of Fame for having two great seasons.  No one.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : I would politely disagree. After agent fees and 35% taxes he has made nowhere near 25 million. Add the fact of his love for the game and competitive spirit. it's a no brainer he don't retire until the money runs out. Very few professional players retire before they have to, and even less because they have enough money. Basic fact will also show the rich never have enough money. Money is the greatest motivator known to man. Timmy will play until no one will pay him anymore imho!!

I agree.  Keep in mind that it's not like these guys retire and keep getting paid.  When they stop playing, they have a few choices:

1.  Never work again and spend wisely.

2.  Never work again and invest wisely (and cross their fingers).

3.  Stop playing hockey and get a common person job.

I'd venture to guess that continuing to play hockey is a better option than any of those three.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS,
    there are other options, coaching investments, sales.. and Spend wisely?  even if he only cleared 12m of his salary, thats more then enough to live comfortably on since the average person about 1.5 m in their lifetime..getting by at ten times that amount isnt to hard..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Bigvig, While all of that may be true, it would all be represented whether Thomas was inducted or not.. I really think hes going to have to hit 250 wins, or win another cup to get in..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I'm leaning more and more to bigvig's way of thinking. It is true that all of Timmy's records will go into the HOF whether Timmy does or not. But name one hockey player who has as many NHL records as Timmy, not in the HOF.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : I'm leaning more and more to bigvig's way of thinking. It is true that all of Timmy's records will go into the HOF whether Timmy does or not. But name one hockey player who has as many NHL records as Timmy, not in the HOF.
    Posted by Klaas

The  goalies I would consider "modern era" are Roy, and Fuhr and soon to be belfour..

you want to stack thomas up against those guys and let me know how he looks? Its a career acheinement, not an award for a great season, thats the the vezina is for..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas in the Hall of Fame one day? : I agree.  Keep in mind that it's not like these guys retire and keep getting paid.  When they stop playing, they have a few choices: 1.  Never work again and spend wisely. 2.  Never work again and invest wisely (and cross their fingers). 3.  Stop playing hockey and get a common person job. I'd venture to guess that continuing to play hockey is a better option than any of those three.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

He'll have more options than this. He'll get money for speaking, autograph shows, endorsements, and if he opens a goaltending/hockey school or camp he'll make some money. Mike Euruzione made a living off of one goal, Timmy will be just fine. TT doesn't strike me as someone we will see on MTV Cribs anytime soon flaunting his bling, showing off his numerous "whips" and giving us a tour of his estate with the obligitory Scarface poster gracing the living room wall.

Sections
Shortcuts