Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care?

No - for me. I could care less. Just play hockey please.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care?

Not really.  Though I think they are free to state them just as I am free to ignore them and avoid chat room discussions about them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care?:
    [QUOTE]Not really.  Though I think they are free to state them just as I am free to ignore them and avoid chat room discussions about them.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    what you said

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not really the question that gets to the issue.  There are two questions:

Do I care what Thomas' political beliefs are?  No, not at all.

Do I care if expressing those beliefs publicly affects the team negatively in any way?  Yes.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care?:
    [QUOTE]only pat tillman
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]
    There's a guy who stood up for what he believed in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Not really the question that gets to the issue.  There are two questions: Do I care what Thomas' political beliefs are?  No, not at all. Do I care if expressing those beliefs publicly affects the team negatively in any way?  Yes.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Perfectly stated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care? : Perfectly stated.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    TT treated Nashville's last goal like it was an invitation to the White House.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care? : TT treated Nashville's last goal like it was an invitation to the White House.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm placing this in the dez Post Hall of Fame.  Clever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

If Timmy's self made contoversy really is affecting his play, or the play of the rest of ther team then yes I do. Can't help but thinking that all the attention he's getting for those political posting just can't be good for his mental game. And today's three goal allowed on 22 shots (a brutal .863 save percentage) just goes to show.
    Timmy. You're Timothy Thomas, not Thomas Paine. Just stop the puck, OK?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Why is the media making a big deal about it? It's fb comments not anti war riots in the street.  I don't see the media going to Fisher's dressing room asking him about his christian beliefs that he posts on his website and twitter.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Why is the media making a big deal about it? It's fb comments not anti war riots in the street.  I don't see the media going to Fisher's dressing room asking him about his christian beliefs that he posts on his website and twitter.  
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]
    Fisher's comments are likely more clear in their nature and intent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care? : Fisher's comments are likely more clear in their nature and intent.

probably so dez...but you bring up an interesting point.  very few posts have been that critical of nature and intent.....good or bad.....right or wrong.
    If we keep the conversation to nature and intent.....all of a sudden....it's just another discussion.  My beef is, many here have taken it to otherworld levels.  If ones mayor, ones congressman, ones senator says something one really has a problem with....by all means, stomp your feet, and raise hell.  It's not only your option.,..it's your responsibility.
    If those things don't trigger ones hot button though...but something a hockey player says does....maybe...just maybe,....one should seriously reconsider what's important.

s

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care? : Fisher's comments are likely more clear in their nature and intent.

That's exactly right dez.  Some people, in their haste to defend anything he does, will miss this key point.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas or any other sports figures political beliefs - Do you care? : TT treated Nashville's last goal like it was an invitation to the White House.

Now that's funny.

I couldn't care less about any athlete's political beliefs, except when they clearly demonstrate a hate for the country (not any of the officeholders).

I do tend to like athletes who admit publically to being strong conservatives like Schilling and to a lesser extent, Thomas.  People take a lot of heat for such a transgression, especially in Far Left New England.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The one story that sums it up for me is the one Charles Barkley tells about being a Republican.  He told people back home that he was either a registered Republican or that he was thinking of running as a Republican at some point and everyone got outraged: "That's the party for rich fat cats!  How can you be a Republican?!"  And he thought about it for a second and said "Well...I'm rich...".

This stuff goes on all the time.  It was hugely high profile because of what Thomas did and how he chose to do it.  Here's the only problem: Thomas has played 12 games in 2012.  In 3, he gave up 4+ goals - something he hadn't done Oct-Dec.  In 4 other games, he gave up 3 goals - so 7 of 12 games, Thomas has been giving up almost twice as many goals as his average pre-2012.  The other 5 games are split up into three one goal efforts and a two goal effort.  The team hasn't been great, so that's part of this story, but Thomas hasn't stepped up to fill the gap either.  The WHV was on the 23rd, so Thomas some of this had already crept into his game, but the night before he gave up 5 goals for the first time since ... forever ... and in three of his five appearances since, he's given up 3.

The good news?  He's got three wins and a no decision (vs. Buf) in that span. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

It would be great if we could start talking about hockey again.  Nice come from behind win yesterday, Lucic was a monster.

TT was shaky IMO, looks a little off his game.  Nice recovery by him in the shoot-out.  2 points.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Why is this a story ? It seems like the media tries to make hockey look bad. What about the NFL players wearing "obama players" tee shirts in 2008 ? ESPN loved that. Hollywood has been doing this for years they should all leave it alone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]It would be great if we could start talking about hockey again.  Nice come from behind win yesterday, Lucic was a monster. TT was shaky IMO, looks a little off his game.  Nice recovery by him in the shoot-out.  2 points.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Amen Crowls, I can't really remember the last big come-from-behind win either.  That was a pleasure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I respect Tim Thomas' right to his beliefs and opinions.  But if he is that naive to think that they will not attract attention, be a distraction or make him disliked by many, then he's blind.  I couldn't care less if he has conservative or liberal beliefs -- I personally have no need to hear them, regardless if I agree with him or not.  My employer would be pis$ed if I was making a public specatcle of myself, and he can't see the issue being as well known as he is?

Tim Thomas, Boston Bruin goalie, cannot separate himself from Tim Thomas, private Facebook citizen just because he wants to believe the two are separate.  He is a public figure making his beliefs known via a popular social medium and he should accept that he opened the door to question after question about his comments.  I think it's a bit selfish of him to put himself out there because he knows his comments will be a lightning rod and a distraction.  He should stand by his comments or stop putting them out there.  He brought this scrutiny on himself and brought unneeded attention to himself and his team.