Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated

Blindness at it's best or just not admitting when you're wrong because you were too busy watching your favorite coaches tribute videos. If Miller hadn't been in the net in the first US-Canada game in the 2010 Olympics the red n white would have won 8-5. The Gold medal game Miller kept the US in the game long enough for Parise to tie it with under a minute left brilliant save after brilliant save. The best player in the world beat Ryan on a mano y mano shot after great passes by Iginla and Staal. Too bad someone was drooling to a tribute to Mr. Bland on ESPN classic.

Thomas is the epitome of perseverance after being traded around the AHL then finding his game in Europe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

yeah BB...cause we all know the media frenzie that is buffalo,ny? what?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Thomas has a couple bad games and HE'S the problem.  Got it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yeah, Miller really faced some juggernauts in Switzerland and Finland in that tourney. lol

Canada was his biggest game, but please at least admit that was one of the worst goal's ever seen given up in a big game like that.  I am not sure I could allow that goal if I tried, that's how bad it was.

I don't know where this media hype is derived from, but I'd prefer to see athletes earn their place instead of this forced hype.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated:
    [QUOTE]yeah BB...cause we all know the media frenzie that is buffalo,ny? what?
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

No, he's from Michigan. You know, the self proclaimed Detroit area aka "Hockeytown".

It wasn't hockey town prior to 1995, I can tell you that.

Thomas is also from Michigan but flew under the radar (obviously) for so long, he earned his status, IMO.

I'd also take Thomas in a heartbeat in a big game over Miller.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

well, this forum has reached a new level of idiocy, BB now believes he could stop pucks more effectively than a vezina trophy winner! and also believes detroit became hockeytown in '95 not because they won back to back cups in the 90's, but because ryan miller is from michigan? i can't believe i even replied to this post...shame on me

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah they should take that Olympic MVP away from Ryan he was terrible they definitely got it wrong. Switzerland ? Took Canada to a shootout and the US only beat the Swiss 2-0. Finland won the Bronze after beating the Czech Republic and upsetting Slovakia uninformed per the usual.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

Fact is Tim Thomas is the number 1 and with out him, the Bruins are looking up at the 8 spot, not holding onto Home Ice. 

Through 71 games, Thomas has played 49 in games with a 29-10-8 record, .937 save %  and a 2.08 GAA. Rask has played 26 in games with a 10-12-2 record, .917 save % and a 2.75 GAA.

The Bruins are 27th in the league in shots allowed; only 3 teams have given up more shots (Atlanta, Carolina and Phoenix). None of the 3 teams have a save percentage or GAA as good as the the Bruins. SO the numbers can't be and are not a fluke. 

TT, has been lights out for the majority of the season, and Rask has been OK. Rask reminds me TOO MUCH of Andrew Raycroft. His playoff meltdown (very similar to what Raycroft - even the numbers), and the way he followed it up the next season (pretty Raycroft like). His last 2 meltdowns on ice in games (Tor. & Nas.), basically showing up players for goals he gave up, not acceptable at any level of play... or a way to get players to want to play in-front of you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Fact is Tim Thomas is the number 1 and with out him, the Bruins are looking up at the 8 spot, not holding onto Home Ice.  Through 71 games, Thomas has played 49 in games with a 29-10-8 record, .937 save %  and a 2.08 GAA. Rask has played 26 in games with a 10-12-2 record, .917 save % and a 2.75 GAA. The Bruins are 27th in the league in shots allowed; only 3 teams have given up more shots (Atlanta, Carolina and Phoenix). None of the 3 teams have a save percentage or GAA as good as the the Bruins. SO the numbers can't be and are not a fluke.  TT, has been lights out for the majority of the season, and Rask has been OK. Rask reminds me TOO MUCH of Andrew Raycroft. His playoff meltdown (very similar to what Raycroft - even the numbers), and the way he followed it up the next season (pretty Raycroft like). His last 2 meltdowns on ice in games (Tor. & Nas.), basically showing up players for goals he gave up, not acceptable at any level of play... or a way to get players to want to play in-front of you.
    Posted by wil39[/QUOTE]

In Rask's case sometimes maturity is a wonderful thing.Hopefully he finds some.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

[QUOTE]Yah they should take that Olympic MVP away from Ryan he was terrible they definitely got it wrong. Switzerland ? Took Canada to a shootout and the US only beat the Swiss 2-0. Finland won the Bronze after beating the Czech Republic and upsetting Slovakia uninformed per the usual.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Hey SanDog, I don't know why but your page is being reviewed by the site.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, I can. Miller has been hyped by the media now for years.  Thomas has not. Thomas will have won two Vezinas, with Miller's iffy one last year.  It could have gone either way between Bryzgalov and Miller.  Bryzgalov had more wins and more shuthouts, too. Too bad Thomas was hurt last year. 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    I hope you're right about TT's 2nd Vezina but I have a sneaking suspicion that you won't get a vote.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : In Rask's case sometimes maturity is a wonderful thing.Hopefully he finds some.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, I think he has a ton of potential, but if he doesn't get his head together, teams won't want to play in-front of the kid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : Hey SanDog, I don't know why but your page is being reviewed by the site. posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

I do a couple of the "crybaby whiners" reported me. That's the nature of BDC trolls and wannabees can report you. If I get suspended it will be Bruins Blog and HFboards from here on in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Quoted earlier "My old goalie coaches told me in the 70's that if you are the goalie who is making circus saves every night, night after night... you are out of position all the time.  TT is the poster boy for this"

I'll agree a little on this, but the majority of the time he has to make these circus saves because the Defense is no where to be found or its a fluke bounce of the puck to an opposing player. TT rarely gets beat if he can see the puck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : I do a couple of the "crybaby whiners" reported me. That's the nature of BDC trolls and wannabees can report you. If I get suspended it will be Bruins Blog and HFboards from here on in.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    If you're suspended that would be a travesty.With the garbage spewed by some of the trolls on here,your a welcome,objective poster who's opinion I look forward to reading.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]  My old goalie coaches told me in the 70's that if you are the goalie who is making circus saves every night, night after night... you are out of position all the time.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

how many vezinas have your old goalie coaches won?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

[QUOTE]He's not brutal by any means. Everyone expects him to stand on his head every game and bail the defense out. The defense is the problem, not the goaltending. TT or TR can never take a night off and be mediocre until the Defense get their head out of there a rses and starts playing better. Our defense has been playing awful all year, but our goaltending has made them look good. We're just too slow and too big against the faster smaller teams.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you.  Couldn't have said it any better. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : When I saw this thread, I assumed somebody would claim whoever started it was me under an assumed name.  I've heard this before, although I still don't understand the point of that.  Why would people change their screen names? However, everyone says it's someone called "Miller."  Barney Miller?  Whatever. Of course I agree with everything the OP says.  TTs first Vezina was a fluke, one this year would be undeserved in comparison to Rinne and Price.  He's everyone's warm 'n fuzzy story. He's a floppy mess that gets people excited because he overplays and overacts every save and he's out of position all the time requiring circus stops.  My old goalie coaches told me in the 70's that if you are the goalie who is making circus saves every night, night after night... you are out of position all the time.  TT is the poster boy for this. But hey, he's a "battler,"  whatever that is. I would like to answer seabh's comment.  I've had this levelled at me a few times.  Just because you seriously dislike a player on a team you root for, does not make you a fan of another team.  I've been a Bruins fans since the 60s growing up with Cheevers and Johnston and Dallas Smith and Teddy Green. I remember the B's last real shot at winning a Cup ending vs Edmonton in multi-overtime. I also happen to think TT is the most overrated player in the NHL and the Bruins wasted a spectacular opportunity to cash in on his horrendous, horrendous contract by dealing him earlier in the season when he was on one of his little hot streaks.  Everyone forgets that this team tried to give him away in the offseason with no takers.  Then he starts off well and he could have brought back a scorer and some financial relief, but no, we have people calling him the MVP because he lays on his back to stop a simple wrist shot. [sigh] Still, the fact that I don't like TT does not make me a Habs' fan.  I want the city of Montreal to sink into their little underground grid.  I want the faker Max P to have to wear a dress throughout the playoffs.  The fact I think Price is twice the goalie TT is, does not change the fact that I want him (Price) to give up 7 goals a period, every game. I know the goofs will still resort to the "if you dont agree with us, you arent a Bruins fan!" logic, because thats what people with no analytical ability do.  Whatever.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    I assume you are talking about the Peter Klima goal in triple overtime in game 1 of the 1990 cup finals. Yep, remember it like it was yesterday. Get depressed everytime I see the replay. To this day, i still think if stone hands Glen Wesley doesn't miss that open net in the 2nd ot, we win the cup that year. Has to be one of the most heart-breaking losses in Bruin history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i don't think the d has been bad all year, but started their slide when ference was hurt. up until that point the b's had the best d in hockey. i think people underestimate what ference has meant to the overall team d. his absence directly corresponds to the slip in defensive play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]i don't think the d has been bad all year, but started their slide when ference was hurt. up until that point the b's had the best d in hockey. i think people underestimate what ference has meant to the overall team d. his absence directly corresponds to the slip in defensive play.

Again the D has been awful and even worse with Ference out. Ference is smaller and more agile and can better acclimate himself to the quicker smaller offensive players. And I will say this again, the goal tending has really made the defense what they are, which at a point in time was the best D in hockey. But really the goaltending of mostly TT and a little TR has to be given the credit for the D looking awesome on paper and stats than they really are. This team is DONE if the Defense doesnt step up and help the goalies out more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : I hope you're right about TT's 2nd Vezina but I have a sneaking suspicion that you won't get a vote.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Umm, what?  Who has had a better year than Thomas for Vezina? He's been a shoe-in since February.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : I assume you are talking about the Peter Klima goal in triple overtime in game 1 of the 1990 cup finals. Yep, remember it like it was yesterday. Get depressed everytime I see the replay. To this day, i still think if stone hands Glen Wesley doesn't miss that open net in the 2nd ot, we win the cup that year. Has to be one of the most heart-breaking losses in Bruin history.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I live down in NC now and my boss asked why the Bruins did not come out (for the presentation) to Glen Wesley night a couple years ago at the RBC Center.

I asked if he remembers this missed open net that any one of us could have at least hit, and he of course does not, being a newer fan.

Wesley was a solid player, but wow was he overrated.

Don Sweeney had a better career than Glen Wesley.

I still say if Boston somehow won that game, they may have won it in 7.

Edmonton was still loaded, but after they battled and won that game, it really put Ranford into another level of confidence and it had the exact opposite effect on Boston.

To this day, that was by far their best assembled team (since the late 1970s), and it's slowly been all downhill since then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Quoted earlier " My old goalie coaches told me in the 70's that if you are the goalie who is making circus saves every night, night after night... you are out of position all the time.  TT is the poster boy for this " I'll agree a little on this, but the majority of the time he has to make these circus saves because the Defense is no where to be found or its a fluke bounce of the puck to an opposing player. TT rarely gets beat if he can see the puck.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

Except if it works, who cares? Look at Hasek.   Any coach that says that is correct, but only if the goalie is making mistakes.

It's more a teaching comment than it is anything else.

Did Rod Carew hold his bat "correctly"?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]well, this forum has reached a new level of idiocy, BB now believes he could stop pucks more effectively than a vezina trophy winner! and also believes detroit became hockeytown in '95 not because they won back to back cups in the 90's, but because ryan miller is from michigan? i can't believe i even replied to this post...shame on me

It's called sarcasm. That was one of the worst goals I have ever seen allowed in a clinching game at any level. He;s one fo the biggest goalies in the league.

Just admit it, it was a terrible goal from a poor angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSfl8vFNZdE&feature=related

It was an 80 degree angle for crying out loud.  Good grief, give it a rest playing contrarian constantly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas- The epitome of being overrated : Except if it works, who cares? Look at Hasek.   Any coach that says that is correct, but only if the goalie is making mistakes. It's more a teaching comment than it is anything else. Did Rod Carew hold his bat "correctly"?   
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I agree but with TT being an older goalie no wonder he gets worn down.

Sections
Shortcuts