Tim Thomas Who? - Toronto Sun

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Tim Thomas Who? - Toronto Sun

The above title was used for the hard copy edition.  The article touches on several things including the suggestion Rask has meshed with the players in and out of the locker room in a way Thomas didn't and the result is the Bruins seem to play a bit harder for him. 

I don't know about that but I do know I look forward to having Rask in goal for the Bruins for years to come. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/20/bruins-goalie-tuukka-rask-filling-big-shoes-left-by-tim-thomas

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Tim Thomas Who? - Toronto Sun

Rask tracks opposing players by the tape job on their sticks. After identifying the player, his brain spits out the their tendencies.

“I was riled after that because I thought that it was (Rangers forward Taylor) Pyatt – same kind of tape job – so I wasn’t expecting that move,” said Rask. “If I had known it was Nash, I probably would have cheated a little blocker.

I love learning little tidbits like this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Rask tracks opposing players by the tape job on their sticks. After identifying the player, his brain spits out the their tendencies.

“I was riled after that because I thought that it was (Rangers forward Taylor) Pyatt – same kind of tape job – so I wasn’t expecting that move,” said Rask. “If I had known it was Nash, I probably would have cheated a little blocker.

Exactly, red.  When I read it I thought with the speed of the guys coming at him Rask can pick up how they tape their sticks to tell them apart from each other?  I think we've all read about goalies learning tendencies of the opposition players; what dekes they use, where they shoot, do they use wrist shots more than slappers but tape jobs to distinguish the players is unique - isn't it? 

Maybe our resident goaltenders kel, nite and Soxfan and any others I've missed can shed a bit of insight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I love that stuff too Red. For me I never noticed the tape jobs unless they really stuck out or if they used all white tape. The real good ones for some reason, alot of them used white tape. I have no idea why, black tape always made it more difficult to pick up the puck in that millisecond you have. I was always more focused on wether they were right or left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I love that stuff too Red. For me I never noticed the tape jobs unless they really stuck out or if they used all white tape. The real good ones for some reason, alot of them used white tape. I have no idea why, black tape always made it more difficult to pick up the puck in that millisecond you have. I was always more focused on wether they were right or left.

Does this allow you to adjust your positioning in relation to from what side the puck is being shot from?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Does this allow you to adjust your positioning in relation to from what side the puck is being shot from?

Yeah, but for me, it's basically where they are and what hand they are and I'll try to cheat. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it burns you. These little things, and every goalie has their own, the most important thing for me was how well am i seeing the puck..not talking about screens, just basically seeing it. Theirs some games, when you just arent seeing the puck well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Yeah, but for me, it's basically where they are and what hand they are and I'll try to cheat. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it burns you. These little things, and every goalie has their own, the most important thing for me was how well am i seeing the puck..not talking about screens, just basically seeing it. Theirs some games, when you just arent seeing the puck well.

Is it a combination of things or one specific?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For me, mainly it's focus. best advice, follow the puck even when it's down the other end. Never take your eye off of it. Sticks, tape jobs, skates,etc...All good, but never leave the puck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

For me, mainly it's focus. best advice, follow the puck even when it's down the other end. Never take your eye off of it. Sticks, tape jobs, skates,etc...All good, but never leave the puck.

So is this related to those comments we've heard once in a while where the goalie at one end isn't busy because his team is all over the other club, he gives up a goal on one of the few shots he faces and we'll hear the announcer say it's easy to lose your focus when not constantly engaged mentally in the action? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Exactly, red.  When I read it I thought with the speed of the guys coming at him Rask can pick up how they tape their sticks to tell them apart from each other?  I think we've all read about goalies learning tendencies of the opposition players; what dekes they use, where they shoot, do they use wrist shots more than slappers but tape jobs to distinguish the players is unique - isn't it? 

Maybe our resident goaltenders kel, nite and Soxfan and any others I've missed can shed a bit of insight.

Tape jobs isn't one that's popular. For me since there wasn't a lot of video passed around for the level I played. I would go to a lot of my oppositions games at the beginning of the season. Then write down who liked to pass, who was a shooter, who led their shots off with the wrong foot. Some players didn't even know they had this ability & it's a goalie's nitemare (no pun intended).

I wasn't a great skater, but all shoot & react. So, If I had a 2on1 & if it was a passer & a shooter. Depending on who had the puck would be how I'd position myself. Shooter- I'd play the shot all the way & take away the angles. Passer- I'd cheat like a Mofo to make him have to take the shot, especially if he was on his benches side. If he had a lot of room on the glove side & didn't take it? He usually would get an ear full. As Kel says some nights you got it & some you don't. But, there's nothing better than getting inside a teams head when you're on. Having them bang their sticks, look up in the air. Call you names after you make them wanna call 9-1-1 after you robbed them. Nothing gets the blood pumping better than that. And when it's on the road it's even that much better. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

For me there's no explaination. It just happens, there's times when I my focus was in the toilet, but I'd still stop the puck. Other games it wouldn't matter what I did, every puck was a fight. One night I even skated to the bench & asked if anyone had an allergy pill, because I think I'm allergic to the puck. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Tape jobs isn't one that's popular. For me since there wasn't a lot of video passed around for the level I played. I would go to a lot of my oppositions games at the beginning of the season. Then write down who liked to pass, who was a shooter, who led their shots off with the wrong foot. Some players didn't even know they had this ability & it's a goalie's nitemare (no pun intended).

I wasn't a great skater, but all shoot & react. So, If I had a 2on1 & if it was a passer & a shooter. Depending on who had the puck would be how I'd position myself. Shooter- I'd play the shot all the way & take away the angles. Passer- I'd cheat like a Mofo to make him have to take the shot, especially if he was on his benches side. If he had a lot of room on the glove side & didn't take it? He usually would get an ear full. As Kel says some nights you got it & some you don't. But, there's nothing better than getting inside a teams head when you're on. Having them bang their sticks, look up in the air. Call you names after you make them wanna call 9-1-1 after you robbed them. Nothing gets the blood pumping better than that. And when it's on the road it's even that much better. 

I figured you had some Battlin' Billy Smith in your veins, nite.  I admire that you did a lot of scouting to get an egde on the shooters.  I'm in awe that goalies like you have the time to have the information gathered enter your minds in the micro-seconds it does with everything going on around you. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

For me there's no explaination. It just happens, there's times when I my focus was in the toilet, but I'd still stop the puck. Other games it wouldn't matter what I did, every puck was a fight. One night I even skated to the bench & asked if anyone had an allergy pill, because I think I'm allergic to the puck. 

Guess it's all relative to just being human.  Thanks for the inside scoop. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Memorizing tape jobs, that is insane! I have never heard of that before, but I guess that is what it takes at the highest level.

The closest I ever came to this was knowing players tendencies, and using that to anticipate what may happen next. I wouldn't cheat on players to overplay the pass or shot as I did not want to give the opposing forwards any type of edge if they were to step out of their comfort zone. I did like to try and dictate or bait the shooters on breakaways or obvious shot situations though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

The above title was used for the hard copy edition.  The article touches on several things including the suggestion Rask has meshed with the players in and out of the locker room in a way Thomas didn't and the result is the Bruins seem to play a bit harder for him. 

I don't know about that but I do know I look forward to having Rask in goal for the Bruins for years to come. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/20/bruins-goalie-tuukka-rask-filling-big-shoes-left-by-tim-thomas

Thanks for the good read...It's refreshing to run into a scribe you actually goes out for some good quotes...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I figured you had some Battlin' Billy Smith in your veins, nite.  I admire that you did a lot of scouting to get an egde on the shooters.  I'm in awe that goalies like you have the time to have the information gathered enter your minds in the micro-seconds it does with everything going on around you. 

Loved Smith! I was just as bad with my stick too. Looking back at some of the stuff I did I'd probably wouldn't do now. I was told at a hockey school that Chico Resch was my coach. He said you're small in stature with great reflexes. Probably 85% players playing against you will be bigger & heavier than you. My advice is to learn to get a little mean in your crease. If they come see you, let them make sure they remember the visit, because most will be hesitant to come back a 2nd time. So, I was a little cocky, mouthy & didn't back down even though I got fed so many rights I begged for a left a few times. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Rask has stepped in nicely. He had some pretty big shoes to fill. And nice to hear he's a team first kind of guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Hmmm, whats the chances Tuukka said that but it is totally false, maybe he gets all the players to tape their sticks up differently to throw their games off??   Smooth move Tuuk!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to MDsizzle's comment:

Hmmm, whats the chances Tuukka said that but it is totally false, maybe he gets all the players to tape their sticks up differently to throw their games off??   Smooth move Tuuk!

Hmm..Most players are very particular about their tape jobs. I can't see many doing this, but ya never know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Loved Smith! I was just as bad with my stick too. Looking back at some of the stuff I did I'd probably wouldn't do now. I was told at a hockey school that Chico Resch was my coach. He said you're small in stature with great reflexes. Probably 85% players playing against you will be bigger & heavier than you. My advice is to learn to get a little mean in your crease. If they come see you, let them make sure they remember the visit, because most will be hesitant to come back a 2nd time. So, I was a little cocky, mouthy & didn't back down even though I got fed so many rights I begged for a left a few times. 

I like that attitude.  Also sounds like there's some Ron Hextall in there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I like that attitude.  Sounds like there's also some Ron Hextall in there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to MDsizzle's comment:

Memorizing tape jobs, that is insane! I have never heard of that before, but I guess that is what it takes at the highest level.

The closest I ever came to this was knowing players tendencies, and using that to anticipate what may happen next. I wouldn't cheat on players to overplay the pass or shot as I did not want to give the opposing forwards any type of edge if they were to step out of their comfort zone. I did like to try and dictate or bait the shooters on breakaways or obvious shot situations though.

I didn't know you played goal, MD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Yup, you can blame Andy Moog, lol.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Playing D, there was one winger I used to play against that would tape her entire blade - I swear she must have sprayed it black as well. All the time as she came up on me at speed I'd lose sight of where she was handling it - hard as hell to poke check without going high on the stick and then you're looking at a potential slashing call - I'd go for the blade miss where the puck was (this was in a league where I couldn't play the body), and she'd just regain possession. She used to drive our keeper nuts with that tape job.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Playing D, there was one winger I used to play against that would tape her entire blade - I swear she must have sprayed it black as well. All the time as she came up on me at speed I'd lose sight of where she was handling it - hard as hell to poke check without going high on the stick and then you're looking at a potential slashing call - I'd go for the blade miss where the puck was (this was in a league where I couldn't play the body), and she'd just regain possession. She used to drive our keeper nuts with that tape job.

Like these from the 50's?

Sections
Shortcuts