TIME FOR A CHANGE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE

In Response to Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE : ...I personally believe CJ should have been sacked after the Flyers debacle on principle alone, but the conundrum is that his style and game plan has also likely been the only thing keeping the Bruins in the playoff hunt so far.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    I really don't agree with that, sorry. I think this team is better than we give them credit for. They need to play with confidence each night, and Julien's passive approach works like an antidote to confidence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Just a few thoughts on your post TTBI.  Guess we'll have to disagree whether they're good enough.  Obviously, that's an opinion we're entitled to have, as the real answer is some months away.  The truth is, no team is really good enough right now, and every year, 4 or 5 teams that should have been good enough get humbled.  Would anyone bet big bucks on anyone winning the cup right now?  My opinion is, the B's are in the mix.  Their play really irritates me sometimes, but I watch other teams too, and I see that inconsistency everywhere.  It's a fairly balanced league...check out the Atlanta forums this morning.
    We're not "woefully short" offensively.  the B's are around 14th in the league.  That's not super, but it ain't bad.  It's certainly a long way from woeful.  Coupled with they're league leading stinginess in allowing goals, their overall completeness is very good.  That's not an opinion, it's statistical fact.
    Like you, I waffle over the value of certain players, and you're right, it's a mystery.  It happens everywhere.  GM's and coach's waffle too.  They go back and forth on the overall value of these guys, but you don't deal until you're sure in your own mind you're ready to give up on them, or an amazing opportunity presents itself.
    This team doesn't have one amazing line, but they got 4 solid ones.  Regardless what anyone thinks, they've got decent defense, and one defenseman the rest of the league would kill for.  What's happend from 1972 til 2007 has no bearing on CJ or PC.  I've been a B's fan since 1967, and I'm about as fed up with the drought as anyone...but it means nothing.
    As far as going into the playoffs standing pretty much pat, that's not an anomaly anywhere in the league post cap.
    Gotta disagree on the Richards thing too.  Pre cap, I'd agree.  The teams you listed, used to be perrenial spenders, but they're in the same position as everyone else now.  If Richards is available, he's on everyones shopping list, however, the smart GM's won't proceed to the checkout if they have to disassemble a winning core to get him, and they won't gamble the future too much, unless they're sure in their own mind, they've got an excellent shot going all the way.  There can be great pitfalls in rearranging your soul for a sniper(see NJ)
    Playoff upsets happen every single year, and usually they're in the first round.  If this group goes into the playoffs healthy, I think they have a decent chance.  If they don't, they won't.  There'll be some tweaks, a move or two in the meantime, if they continue to pace as they have.  If a core player goes down, long term, just prior to the deadline, there'll be options.  None if it's after the deadline.  If they tank, there'll be huge moves.  I don't think they'll tank, therefore I truly believe they have a shot.  Goaltenders, good fortune, good players playing to potential, and streaky players, streaking at just the right time win cups.  In the cap era, having talent dominance is pretty much a thing of the past.  The only way to get it, is to build it, then the cap ceiling makes you dismantle it(see Chicago).
    Sure I've got concerns, but only one big one.  Marc Savard.  Everythings changed since the injury, and that ain't PC's fault, nor Savards.  He's eating up elite level cap space though, and he's average.  Hopefully, he'll recover, but that may not be possible.  If Savard can't revert back to his point per game production, this team has a huge, huge, short term, and much worse, long term problem, as he isn't/won't be moveable.  No team can prosper today, paying an average player big dollars.
    Hopefully things work out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Don't think millionaires respond that well to ranting animated coaches either.  Julians stage presence doesn't necessarily tell us much about how he operates with this players.
    Like you Mr H, I think this team is better than it's given credit for, but I don't see anybody who's going to score 40 working for another coach.  I totally disagree that Julian's holding players back.  Having said that, I'm not his biggest fan either.  I think realistically, teams are coached by commitee, and all are open to anything that could result in winning.  They get way too much credit in good times, and way too much grief in bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

MRH.  Didn't know there wasn't much interest in Chara back in 06.  In fact I'm very surprised.  I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

[QUOTE]MRH.  Didn't know there wasn't much interest in Chara back in 06.  In fact I'm very surprised.  I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on that.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]
    Okay, let's see: It was 2006, and Ottawa bailed out early, making Redden their prime target for a new contract. Losing Chara kind of worked out for them in the short term, as they went to the finals the next year. And as I said, the Bruins went after Chara very aggressively, with interim GM Jeff Gorton (with some advice from PC, who was already designated as the new Bruins GM) offering 37.5 mill for 5 seasons right on the first day of Chara's free agency. As far as I remember that was the only offer reported in the media, with everyone waiting for the LA Kings to make a pitch for Chara, which never happened.

I just think if he really was that much of a game changer, there would have been more of a contest, right? But then again, that's just my opinion, and he will be here for another six years - provided he won't waive his no-trade clause to eventually join a contender...
    Besides we will probably never know what happened behind the scenes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

the one thing about the "system" is it never changes. same 80 foot tip passes from behind the net when they set up.

the wingers are so low in the defensive zone the other teams points are open and when they do get the puck there is no outlet to pass to.

i doubt other teams scouting reports have changed in 2 years.

julien was the right coach 4 years ago, when this team was starting to rebuild. this team has to much talent now to still be playing the trap as it's base system. with the goalies we have we shouldn't be looking at 8th place if montreal wins tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

ok, we know the drill.  Montreal won.  Boston f***ed up  !!
     I'm liviid too.
    But if you look back at the video, what do you do?  You can fire everybody, but really, what happenned?
    Well, first of all it was a collosall disaster, but is there more?  Yes there is.  It was a disaster, but it was just one game, and if you look at the tape, the B's just plain crapped out.  There is a difference between crapping out, and playing shi##y.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE : Okay, let's see: It was 2006, and Ottawa bailed out early, making Redden their prime target for a new contract. Losing Chara kind of worked out for them in the short term, as they went to the finals the next year. And as I said, the Bruins went after Chara very aggressively, with interim GM Jeff Gorton (with some advice from PC, who was already designated as the new Bruins GM) offering 37.5 mill for 5 seasons right on the first day of Chara's free agency. As far as I remember that was the only offer reported in the media , with everyone waiting for the LA Kings to make a pitch for Chara, which never happened. I just think if he really was that much of a game changer, there would have been more of a contest, right? But then again, that's just my opinion, and he will be here for another six years - provided he won't waive his no-trade clause to eventually join a contender... Besides we will probably never know what happened behind the scenes.
    Posted by MrHulot[/QUOTE]
    Chara was the premier free agent that summer.He signed for the max which made 29 other teams jealous.He was snapped up on the 1st day by Boston because he wouldn't have lasted until the 2nd day.

Sections
Shortcuts