Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach)

In Response to Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach):
    [QUOTE]The Bruins are excellent on faceoffs. In fact, Peverley is statistically better than Bergeron. I think a large part of the problem was Jay Beagle. He's a converted winger who had never taken NHL draws until late this year. He was fantastic at it and I don't think the Bruins knew how to handle the new guy. Lucic was physical and set up some nice goals, which is valuable in a low scoring chance series like that one. I guess you missed that. In Response to Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach) :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Oates, Ovechkin finished the series with 1 hit more than Lucic. In the end, Ovechkin was described as "a force" while Lucic was "invisible". I'm sure the truth was somewhere in between.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Public opinion is all or nothing with W's or L's.

In Response to Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach) : Oates, Ovechkin finished the series with 1 hit more than Lucic. In the end, Ovechkin was described as "a force" while Lucic was "invisible". I'm sure the truth was somewhere in between.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I agree that I hate wasted, easy shots lobbed on goal, I would rather a dump in. However, I completely disagree with the power forward, crash the net thing. What Washington was doing was collapsing on net, preventing good shots and clearing rebounds. The natural reaction is to bulldoze the net and force the puck in. What happens in reality is now there are even more bodies in front of the net, making it next to impossible to get a shot through and score. The Bruins adjusted in game six, bringing the third forward high. This requires the collapsed D to pull a player out of the box and out to match the extra high player, creating more space in the scoring zone. It worked wonders and the last few games were more entertaining, but alas that last one didn't work out. But I don't see any need for another power player if Horton is healthy. A skilled, quick defensman would be nice to quickly move the puck around the perimeter when teams are playing in tight to their goalie... hopefully Hamilton is that man.

[QUOTE]In an ideal world, Im not sure the 'elite scorer," complete with elite pricetag, is the guy I'd be looking for.  Those guys, to me, seem to show their worth more often over an 82 game schedule rather than at playoff time. They also seem to get keyed on in the playoffs and come up with the full Thornton/Sedin blanks.  I dont see the B's in terrible shape there, with their commitment to depth. In watching the B's every game, it seemed they were suceptible to periods of time where they threw a lot of low percentage shots on goal, made every goalie look like a Hall of Famer, and seemed they couldnt score a goal all week.  They looked like that against Washington.  To me, I'd like to see a power forward type who's willing to crash the net, cause rebounds, tips, screens and well, ugly goals and mayhem.  It seems this is the type of personnel upgrade that could improve the B's at playoff time. Not sure who's available that fits that bill, but thats the kind of player Id like to add. The B's just have a habit of not sustaining net presence sometimes.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach) : Have a cigar. Probably the one negative consequence of Lucic being on the first line is that that role is not to crash the net and cause mayhem. Playing the CJ system, and playing with DK means puck retrieval, strong cycle on the boards, not a lot of bullying into the crease.  It would be great if, periodically, he would charge to the net, take a pass, get off a one-time in a lane, then follow it in. But that isn't the offensive structure they have.  You used to see Marchand and Bergeron do this really well - both go hard to the net and force the D's hand, and then bury the shot or make a late pass for a tap-in. Being able to generate mayhem isn't easy on a nightly basis - it takes a high motor and a decent brain (to stay out of the box).  Not easy to list guys who can do that and also score. Totally agree about them getting into the habit of long, lousy shots.  It reeks of panic with the puck, and it's ironic that they do it more the more challenged they are to score.  It's that stupid conventional wisdom of a shot never being a bad idea and the solution to slumps being to just fire the puck at the net and look for garbage.  Here's a thought: how about hanging on to the puck and looking for a lane to develop, for guys to get in position for rebounds or passes? 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Yep, This drove me crazy. That's what this kid can do better than anybody in the league. It really seems to me that sometimes he is doing what he thinks he's supposed to do - it doesn't work that way. He needs to be everybody's worst nightmare, especially in front of the net. The production for him and his entire line will take care of itself from there. I understand that he wants to improve his skills and skating, but that can't come at the cost of losing himself by trying to be what he's not. Mayhem is the best description I've heard (not surprising from Bb).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If he goes there and stands still, you're right.  If the idea is that he sees an opportunity to drive through the box when another bruin has possession, then he forces the D to pay attention, and that can create some lanes and space.  It's just a different way of saying what many are saying about the PP - too stationary, too predictable, and too often stuck on the boards and hoping for that one clean pass.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time for Major Change (Elite scorer, elite PP pointman, and new PP coach) : Yep, This drove me crazy. That's what this kid can do better than anybody in the league. It really seems to me that sometimes he is doing what he thinks he's supposed to do - it doesn't work that way. He needs to be everybody's worst nightmare, especially in front of the net. The production for him and his entire line will take care of itself from there. I understand that he wants to improve his skills and skating, but that can't come at the cost of losing himself by trying to be what he's not. Mayhem is the best description I've heard (not surprising from Bb).
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

Credit for mayhem goes to SoxFan.  I agree it's the right term.

The anti-Lucic crowd have been complaining about the "bad penalties", and yes, it usually isn't good to take a penalty on the PP late in a game.  Unless the PP and everyone on it is sleepwalking and what they need to wake the f--- up is a dose of calculated mayhem.  That results in a 4 on 4 goal.  Then that's a pretty good penalty.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Did anyone take pause to think that, maybe, just maybe, losing to the Caps had nothing to do with personnel but more to do with attitude going into the series? --In 2011 the Bs had a MAJOR chip on their shoulder about being "chokers." THey rode that underdog attitude all the way to a Cup. --In 2012, everyone had the Bs s heaby favorites, picked to brush the Capitals aside in Round 1. Looking back, I'm starting to think they subconciously believed that hype and lost that edge.   
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    My thoughts too Ipot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

ipot, I think you are correct. They definitely were out to prove something to people last year. It just wasn't all there this year. That powerplay kills their momentum so often. Its painful to watch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Did anyone take pause to think that, maybe, just maybe, losing to the Caps had nothing to do with personnel but more to do with attitude going into the series? --In 2011 the Bs had a MAJOR chip on their shoulder about being "chokers." THey rode that underdog attitude all the way to a Cup. --In 2012, everyone had the Bs s heaby favorites, picked to brush the Capitals aside in Round 1. Looking back, I'm starting to think they subconciously believed that hype and lost that edge.   
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

I didn't find too much difference between the 1st series in 2011 and the 1st series in 2012.  I think most of us just remember the finals where the B's outscored the Canucks 23-8.  It took ot in the 7th game to beat the Habs.  On paper, the B's were much better than the Habs and should've won in 5 or 6 games.  This year the B's were better than the Caps on paper and should've won in 5 or 6 games.  Again, ot in game 7.  Who knows what would've happened if Pouliot would've dumped it in 6 inches to the right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Or if the referee's had waved off the goal for goaltender interference...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One more to pick up the Davinator's point: Ryder had 18 goals and 23 assists as the 3rd line RW.  Pouliot had 16 goals and 16 assists - two fewer goals.  Peverley and Wheeler combined for 15g and 34pts on the other wing last year.  Peverley and Caron had 18 goals and 57pts combined - three more goals.  So the third line was net +1 goal this year.  How exactly was Ryder not replaced?

Seguin led the team in scoring playing in Recchi's old spot, but you may say "ah, yes, but who then replaced Seguin!?"  To which I answer: Seguin.  Recchi and Seguin combined for 25 goals and 70 points last year.  Seguin had 29 goals and 67 points, so you know, that's +4 in goals and -3 in points in 74 fewer man-games (Recchi's 81+Seguin's 74-Seguin's 81this year=74).

So to summarize: the premise of this thread is...a total pantload.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The OP has me wondering what his definition of elite is.

He once called Benoit Pouliot an elite stickhandler.

So based on that comparison maybe Daniel Paille can step up to be the elite scorer and Shane Hnidy can come out of retirement to become the elite PP pointman he wants the Bruins to have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    that might the b's side of it, think about the caps side of it. EXPECTATIONS and PRESSURE. for the past 4 or 5 years the caps have have been expected to win or at least play for the cup. they've wilted under that pressure of being the favorite. this season they struggle just to make the big dance, have zero by way of expectations (7th seed playing the defending champs)... and oust the bruins in 7 seven.  sport psychology at its best. they can't handle the pressure of being the favorite, yet thrive in the under dog role. just one of the many angles in which to look at the series.  

Sections
Shortcuts