Time for Seguin to step up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Time for Seguin to step up

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up:
    if he has to be on the 4th line, fine, i can live with it for now.  But he should atleast get a little 2nd unit pp time, get some points, confidence, at a time where defensive responsibility is at a minimum.
    Posted by Seabasshole

Agreed Seabass. I mean, the B's are a top tier team and the kid will develop slowly. I'm fine with that. He should definitely get PP time.

I did like the fact that CJ had Seguin on a couple of different combinations last night while we had a couple of fighting majors. And CJ did mention that Seguin was going to be a little bit of a jack-of-all-trades plus have his regular shifts on the 4th. Maybe we'll see his ice time go up slowly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : He has learned a lot. Playing a two-way game will make him a far greater player later in his career. He is doing just fine. Do wish he'd get a little more playing time but I don't think it will ruin him.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Yes, because he is going to learn so much playing on theat fourt line. Maybe Thornton can teach him how to run around looking for fights. Or perhaps Campbell can divulge the secret to his north-south game. Very valuable insight to Seguin's skill set....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Yes, because he is going to learn so much playing on theat fourt line. Maybe Thornton can teach him how to run around looking for fights. Or perhaps Campbell can divulge the secret to his north-south game. Very valuable insight to Seguin's skill set....
    Posted by jmwalters

Actually playing on the checking line will help him learn the defensive aspect that he needs to be great not only in Juliens system but in the league. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Actually playing on the checking line will help him learn the defensive aspect that he needs to be great not only in Juliens system but in the league. 
    Posted by callodthedom19

I agree except he is not on the checking line. A checking line goes up against the other team's top line in order to shut them down. Kelly's line is supposed to do this and I have no problem with Seguin being on this line. The Campbell-Thornton line is simply there to eat up as many minutes as possible while incurring the least amount of damage to give the other three lines a break.

So, I do agree with you. And yes I know the B's have a lot of depth right now but it is pointless to have Seguin play 6 unproductive minutes a night while trying in vain to set up his obviously less than talented teammates to score when that is simply not their role. At least give him some PP time so he has a chance to produce.

Just sayin.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Perhaps I am wrong with this, but wasn't Seguin the first guy to fill in while Horton was in the box after his fight?

Seems like Julien is willing to give him some chances when they arise, at least.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Perhaps I am wrong with this, but wasn't Seguin the first guy to fill in while Horton was in the box after his fight? Seems like Julien is willing to give him some chances when they arise, at least.
    Posted by DrCC

To be honest, I am not sure it seems like the correct thing to do. No point having a talent warm the pine for 56 minutes.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I agree except he is not on the checking line. A checking line goes up against the other team's top line in order to shut them down. Kelly's line is supposed to do this and I have no problem with Seguin being on this line. The Campbell-Thornton line is simply there to eat up as many minutes as possible while incurring the least amount of damage to give the other three lines a break. So, I do agree with you. And yes I know the B's have a lot of depth right now bu
    Posted by jmwalters

Alright checking line is the wrong word. I mean a more defensive line. They don't expect to score goals but they're expected to back check and not allow goals scored. That's my bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Alright checking line is the wrong word. I mean a more defensive line. They don't expect to score goals but they're expected to back check and not allow goals scored. That's my bad.
    Posted by callodthedom19

No problem. I get what you mean and am not disagreeing with you for the most part. I just wish his on-ice mentors had more to offer....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Alright checking line is the wrong word. I mean a more defensive line. They don't expect to score goals but they're expected to back check and not allow goals scored. That's my bad.
    Posted by callodthedom19

dom i think jack edwards called them high energy line if that works?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : No problem. I get what you mean and am not disagreeing with you for the most part. I just wish his on-ice mentors had more to offer....
    Posted by jmwalters

I agree with you on that. As long as the B's are winning it's hard to complain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I agree with you on that. As long as the B's are winning it's hard to complain.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Exactly, and they have been perfect since the trades. Now, if only TO tanks so we can get a proper pick to go along with Seguin then all will be right in the  world....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Exactly, and they have been perfect since the trades. Now, if only TO tanks so we can get a proper pick to go along with Seguin then all will be right in the  world....
    Posted by jmwalters

We will see what TOR will do after today. If they trade some pieces they will tank. If they add some pieces (don't see why they would) they have an outside shot at the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : We will see what TOR will do after today. If they trade some pieces they will tank. If they add some pieces (don't see why they would) they have an outside shot at the playoffs.
    Posted by callodthedom19

I think MacArthur at least is gone. He wants a large pay raise and BB is not budging. Shades of Dominic Moore from a couple of years ago. How is he doing now? Still a bubble player.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I think MacArthur at least is gone. He wants a large pay raise and BB is not budging. Shades of Dominic Moore from a couple of years ago. How is he doing now? Still a bubble player.....
    Posted by jmwalters

BB would be dumb to give MacArthur a big pay raise, in my opinion. Dominic is on the Lightning, I think he is a 3rd 4th liner. I haven't seen much from him. He is what he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah, MacArthur's only value to BB right now is what he can get for him in a trade. I can also see Detroit picking up Giguere. The wings historically prefer veteran goalies (last year excluded) and Osgood is done....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Yeah, MacArthur's only value to BB right now is what he can get for him in a trade. I can also see Detroit picking up Giguere. The wings historically prefer veteran goalies (last year excluded) and Osgood is done....
    Posted by jmwalters

I don't know if Detroit would do that. Giguere looks just as done as Osgood is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by jmwalters

Clarke Mac is an RFA so he shouldn't expect an absurdly high raise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Clarke Mac is an RFA so he shouldn't expect an absurdly high raise.
    Posted by dezaruchi

No, he shoud not but alas:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/home/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : No, he shoud not but alas: http://www.sportsnet.ca/home/
    Posted by jmwalters

Unless he gets signed to an offer sheet the ball will still be in Burke's court.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I agree with you on that. As long as the B's are winning it's hard to complain.
    Posted by callodthedom19

On the ongoing conversation you are having with jmwalters.  You both are making very good points.  I am more on your side of the fence.  At first I was upset that Seguin was not on Peverley and Kelly's line.  I thought there defense would potentially cover the mistakes he made while, setting a good example for him going forward.  I also believed he would maximize the offense on that line.  I had Ryder moving to the 4th line.  At this point, I have ditched that thought process because things are working.  Chemistry seems to be good and eventhough he is getting less minutes then I like, Seguin is improving.

Also in regards to the question of how well these guys can mentor him.  Well nobody is going to be out there telling him when it's a good idea to do a dipsy doo or to make a slick behind the back pass.  He will figure out his offensive game on his own.  I have noticed Campbell in his ear at the end of a few shifts, and although I don't really know what they are talking about, I am certain that there are nuances of the game which Campbell can relay to him. 

As long as we keep playing with this level of intensity and chenistry, I have no complaints at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : On the ongoing conversation you are having with jmwalters.  You both are making very good points.  I am more on your side of the fence.  At first I was upset that Seguin was not on Peverley and Kelly's line.  I thought there defense would potentially cover the mistakes he made while, setting a good example for him going forward.  I also believed he would maximize the offense on that line.  I had Ryder moving to the 4th line.  At this point, I have ditched that thought process because things are working.  Chemistry seems to be good and eventhough he is getting less minutes then I like, Seguin is improving. Also in regards to the question of how well these guys can mentor him.  Well nobody is going to be out there telling him when it's a good idea to do a dipsy doo or to make a slick behind the back pass.  He will figure out his offensive game on his own.  I have noticed Campbell in his ear at the end of a few shifts, and although I don't really know what they are talking about, I am certain that there are nuances of the game which Campbell can relay to him.  As long as we keep playing with this level of intensity and chenistry, I have no complaints at all.
    Posted by RickyHussle

I do agree with what you are saying. It is just I do not know how much advice a career fourth liner (Campbell) and a fighter can give a future top line forward. Ideally, I would prefer Bergeron or Kelly mentor Seguin on the defence aspect of the game. I know, however, that this is simply not to be.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : Unless he gets signed to an offer sheet the ball will still be in Burke's court.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I am a little rusty on the rules and too lazy to look it up but what happens if MacArthur refuses to sign a qualifying offer?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I do agree with what you are saying. It is just I do not know how much advice a career fourth liner (Campbell) and a fighter can give a future top line forward. Ideally, I would prefer Bergeron or Kelly mentor Seguin on the defence aspect of the game. I know, however, that this is simply not to be.....
    Posted by jmwalters

I still hope that this is a major part of the plan for next season.  I would love to see Seguin playing with one of these guys you mentioned in every single game over the first half of next season, if he can earn that type of responsibility. If Julien holds him up simply for his love of veterans I would be very disappointed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I still hope that this is a major part of the plan for next season.  I would love to see Seguin playing with one of these guys you mentioned in every single game over the first half of next season, if he can earn that type of responsibility. If Julien holds him up simply for his love of veterans I would be very disappointed.
    Posted by RickyHussle

Exactly. With Recchi and Ryder likely gone next year there is no reason why Seguin can not get off the 4rth line. If Paille gets the promotion over him next year I will be pissed....LOL!..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Time for Seguin to step up : I am a little rusty on the rules and too lazy to look it up but what happens if MacArthur refuses to sign a qualifying offer?
    Posted by jmwalters

He would be able to sign an offer sheet with any other team.Burke would then have the right to match or receive compensation(draft picks)from the team that signed him.Who knows though as Burke claims he doesn't expect to be able to resign Macarthur.

Sections
Shortcuts