Time For The Bruins To Move On From Claude

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

Time For The Bruins To Move On From Claude

There is more than enough of a track record to suggest it's time to strongly consider moving on from Claude.  No Claude cannot help the fact that the Bruins lack any quality skating or puck moving defenseman but let's face it that's really the only glaring weakness the Bruins have.  

Under Claude's tenure we have continuously seen the Bruins come out flat time and time again and often play, when it matters most, some seriously uninspiring hockey.  Not to mention the fact that Claude's idea of winning hockey is wrapped up in a defensive system that is akin to simply playing not to lose.

Anyone notice this trend lately where the Bruins are falling behind 0-3 in games and then suddenly the offense turns on and they start coming back?Washington down 0-3 (lose 4-3), Kings down 0-3 (shootout loss), Tampa down 0-3 (lose 3-1). Yes the B's lost 2 of these 3 games but they poured the offense on once in the hole.  Why?  The training wheels came off, the B's start pressuring and the defense starts moving up ice in these situations.

The Bruins have offensively skilled forwards, probably more than they have had as a group in quite some time.  They are just on a leash most of the time and Claude only lets them off once games are almost out of reach.

The Defense is not a great skating group but they aren't as terrible as some may think they are. Like the forwards they too are on a leash due to the system. And I think everyone would agree that the goal tending is more than solid.

I'm not saying the Bruins should play with reckless abandon and try to outscore teams 7-5 every night like the Capitals.  You can win in the regular season that way but that type of system is a recipe for disaster int he playoffs.  However you can play an up tempo offensive game and still play solid defensively. Anyone ever heard of teams like the Chicago Blackhawks or the Detroit Red Wings?

The Bruins like these teams have good if not great offensive talent, forwards that can play both ways on a high level, a sound if unspectacular defense and great goal tending (something recent Blackhawks and Red Wings teams really haven't had).

The one thing that is preventing this team from taking the next step is Claude. Besides the system (which again is akin to playing not to lose) the team under his tenure has far too often played without inspiration and at times has even played without the one thing Bruins teams of the past have prided themselves on, heart.

There is a reason that Claude was let go by the Devils even though they were winning there division at the time and a lock to make the playoffs.  That coaching change altered the state of mind of that Devils team and ultimately it lead to their winning the cup later that year.

I'm not saying the Bruins will win the cup if the remove Claude, what I'm saying is I simply don't like their chances of winning it with him here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Time For The Bruins To Move On From Claude

The year the Devils fired Julien (2007) NJ lost in the Conference Semifinals.  That year was the last year they won a playoff round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

I agree with you-- I have been saying this since the second game of the Carolina 2nd round playoff series in 2008.  You beat the Bruins by sending 2 forecheckers deep and challenge their D to D passes.  By doing this they can't maintain puck control and the other team is forcing the issue. They are always changing lines after dumping the puck, while their opponents are changing lines with puck possesion. 

CJ had no answers for Carolina, just like he had no answers for the Lightning last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

I confused it with the Ftorek firing year, the year they did win the cup. But it changes nothing about Claude. And that year the Devils still fired the guy with 3 regular season games to play and when they were winning their division.  Has any team in the history of hockey fired their coach with 3 games to go in the regular season and a top playoff seed locked in besides the Devils that year? 

Rhetorical question of course because everyone knows the answer is no.  The Devils fired the guy in part because of the same reasons the Bruins should do s now, because the team plays uninspired hockey way too much and too often plays without heart.  But thanks for the correction.  I guess you must be a Claude supporter.  Good luck with that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I agree for the most part with the points made by the OP, but I would add that CJ hasn't really had the opportunity to work with his full line up yet this year. Need to get Savvy and Sturm back in the mix before a final verdict is reached.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm a truth supporter Innocent
    There are certainly certain themes that keep coming up during his tenure.  I'm not sure firing him (especially now, before we have a finalized roster for this year) is the answer though.  If there is a time for him to be fired, January or February seem like more useful times.

There are two things that I find myself thinking about when it comes to Julien.

1) I would agree with the description of Julien as a very 'administrative' type coach.  By that I mean he sets the lines up, sets the overall team strategy, but then relies on the players to win the game.  I wonder if it might be a good idea to keep Julien, but hire a 'game coach' to handle in-game adjustments?

2) Since the two-man forecheck is so clearly the weakness of his system, why doesn't every team do that when they face the Bruins, and as a result win?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Time For The Bruins To Move On From Claude:
    [QUOTE] 1) I would agree with the description of Julien as a very 'administrative' type coach.  By that I mean he sets the lines up, sets the overall team strategy, but then relies on the players to win the game.  I wonder if it might be a good idea to keep Julien, but hire a 'game coach' to handle in-game adjustments? 2) Since the two-man forecheck is so clearly the weakness of his system, why doesn't every team do that when they face the Bruins, and as a result win?
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

1) That is a not a bad idea IMO. Senior year of higschool we had a team of 18 seniors in DIV1 Mass hockey. We started the season 7-0 and then fell to 7-4 because we just stopped showing up to play. Much like the Bruins. That was when our coach brought in another guy to do pregame speech and manage the bench. This guy came in and gave the most inspiring speaches and really lit a fire under your arsse (ARE YOU KIDDING ME A R S E IS BLOCKED GET THE F OUT OF HERE). He wouldnt hold back from making quick ingame adjustments calling somebody out on completely foolish or uninspired play.

We won our next 7 straight once he came in. Our normal coach just created strategy ran practice and let this other guy do pregame and ingame management because our coach new he couldnt get in our heads the same way his friend could. Perhaps someone like (Neely?) could do the same for the B's?

2) I think the reason why you dont see every team do it but it is that in the regular season teams have chemistry going with the current system. They dont want to completely change it just for one game against the bruins. But when you get into the playoffs and you know your next 7 games are against the same team and that team isnt going to adjust to compensate for the 2man forecheck. Then you def. use it. A'la Flyers+Canes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought that was why they brought in Jarvis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]I thought that was why they brought in Jarvis.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Thought he was just a PP strategizer because the PP was flat out bad last year. Seems to be working though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well he had a strong reputation with the Bulldogs and the Habs as being the guy who would fire up the players. Read a couple of quotes from Habs that he would come down the bench when they came off the shift and whisper things to them like "you're playing like s***, step it the f*** up." Maybe he just needs to get back into that form.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Well he had a strong reputation with the Bulldogs and the Habs as being the guy who would fire up the players. Read a couple of quotes from Habs that he would come down the bench when they came off the shift and whisper things to them like "you're playing like s***, step it the f*** up." Maybe he just needs to get back into that form.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what someone needs to do. Because claude just slaps on his "UHHHHHHH MMMMMMM HUHHHH />????" Face when stuff goes wrong. Someone needs to get angry and yell at people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah... admittedly I loved hearing him announced as an assistant because it is quite possible that no one in NHL history gave more and worked harder game in and game out than Jarvis (there's a reason he's still  the NHL iron man). Hopefully he's trying to rub that off on some players, and at least with a few of them I think it may be paying dividends (the fourth line for example). The guy never missed a game from the time he made the NHL until the day he retired, I hope the Bruins will learn something about that type of dedication.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I confused it with the Ftorek firing year, the year they did win the cup. But it changes nothing about Claude. And that year the Devils still fired the guy with 3 regular season games to play and when they were winning their division.  Has any team in the history of hockey fired their coach with 3 games to go in the regular season and a top playoff seed locked in besides the Devils that year?  Rhetorical question of course because everyone knows the answer is no.  The Devils fired the guy in part because of the same reasons the Bruins should do s now, because the team plays uninspired hockey way too much and too often plays without heart.  But thanks for the correction.  I guess you must be a Claude supporter.  Good luck with that.
    Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]
    The Devils fired CJ because Lamirrello's ego led him to believe he could do a better job inspiring the troops.I'm more of a non-believer in Lamirrello than I am a believer in CJ.I'm really still on the fence with this subject.He's transformed Boston into a fine regular season team that,too often,can't get it done in the post-season.If it's as simple as changing coaches to get further in the play-offs then do it.....I'm just not sure it's that easy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRat13. Show TheRat13's posts

You make a compelling argument, Bob. My only concern would be the timing. It seems a little premature.

I don't mind Julien's approach so much on an Xs and Os level. What bothers me is the team's unpredictable effort from night to night and even on a period-by-period basis. The inmates seem to be running the asylum, and Julien doesn't seem to have the backbone to confront them about it.

Look at last year: As bad as Michael Ryder and Matt Hunwick were, he'd just keep rolling them over the boards night after night. He especially seems to have the blinders on when it comes to Ryder [who, it must be noted, has been playing much better this year].

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think they should move on from Chiarelli. 

His poor  management of funds has really hampered this team's ability to get scoring.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time For The Bruins To Move On From Claude : The Devils fired CJ because Lamirrello's ego led him to believe he could do a better job inspiring the troops.I'm more of a non-believer in Lamirrello than I am a believer in CJ.I'm really still on the fence with this subject.He's transformed Boston into a fine regular season team that,too often,can't get it done in the post-season.If it's as simple as changing coaches to get further in the play-offs then do it.....I'm just not sure it's that easy.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I think on the subject of coaching.  I think the coaching position is overrated in wons and losses.  Given the fact CJ has coached this season without the full contingent of centers it is difficult to assess the effectiveness of his coaching.  I still believe a strong PMD would remedy the offense as opposed to a entirely new coaching strategy.  Nonetheless, CJ does need to use his skilled offensive players in the game as a matter of need not pattern.  The PMD is not attainable at this point given the cap structure and restraints.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Good point !

Dan Bylsma
    (pronounced 'BILES-mah') (born 19 September 1970) is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League (NHL) as of February 15, 2009, replacing Michel Therrien.

four months after becoming head coach in Pittsburgh, Dan Bylsma coached the Penguins to their third Stanley Cup Championship in 7 games over the Detroit Red Wings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think they should move on from Chiarelli.  His poor  management of funds has really hampered this team's ability to get scoring.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Savard, Sturm, Lucic, Horton, Krejci, Bergeron, Wheeler, Seguin*

Yeah, this team needs guys who can put up the points.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

Talk about a stupid thread. The on ice results fall on the player, not the coach.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

There have definitely been coach changes that were beneficial, does the name LaViolette ring any bells?? Maybe no change until the Savard/Sturm inserts take place. Ryder has played better in SOME games, others he has regressed. His $4 mil will offset Savvy, who would you prefer??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've never seen a team with so many lack luster periods as CJ's version of the Bruins.  Never.  Understand what I'm saying - no matter the talent level of the team - good or bad in days gone by - they're not playing up to it.

Of course every team has a bad night.  I remember an Orr/Espo team that got croaked one night by the North Stars.  I remember Johnny McKenzie saying 'a good junior team could have beaten us tonight.'

That happens.  Airport delay, rough schedule, bad team meal, it happens.

But a bad period it seems every game.  And 2 bad periods in a row every 3-5 games or so.

And that is the most consistent factor of Cj's teams.

I don't recall seeing that for another team in all my life.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

CJ has done a great job with this team since he came in. However the one thing I have a problem with above all else is that he's unable or unwilling to motivate his players. I've heard him many times repeat that the players are all pros and he shouldn't have to motivate them at this level. Personally I think a kick in the behind a la Pat Burns (RIP) every now and then is just what this team needs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

You presented your case well, Bob.  As for "softy", stupid thread?  I don't understand your point: players play the same no matter who the coach is?  And if the job is of questionable importance, why are they elected to the Hall of Fame?

I agree with some here in believing it's too early for a change, because there are some significant roster moves ahead with Savard and Sturm coming back.  But I'm also troubled by the uneven efforts from shift to shift, period to period, and game to game.  I think systems can work--the Celtics have had one in place with their defense for several years and that has translated into Championship caliber basketball.  Keep in mind, however, they also have a team that plays with fire and emotion (Garnett, Perkins, Pierce, etc.).  

The Bruins seem to be missing this "fire" from their coach and their captain (Chara) .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The changing of a coach does have an effect on a team - for 60 to 120 days. Then everything goes back to the way it was. Then what?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

There are a few threads floating around here pointing at coaching.  Like most posters, I find it extremely annoying, when the players on my favoite team don't show up for work.  What's particularly annoying, is the fact that, the b's are managing to pick up a lot of wins, while typically taking a period or 2 off.  I've watched too many poor efforts get rewarded this year, and if this continues, the law of averages is gonna kick in, and the b's will have a terrible time trying to find their way out of it.
     If this team didn't have 2 goalies, consistently standing on their heads, game in, and game out, the home team would be sunk already.  Everyone here gets all crotchety when this team lays down and loses one, but the fact is...this bunch isn't really competing, the way most of us expect Bruins teams to compete.
    Having said that, they are missing two key players,(yes, Sturm is one of them...he did lead the team in goals last year) and that must be considered.
    I'm on the fence regarding CJ.(reasonably happy with PC) 
    The reason I'm on the fence, is because I feel it's way too simplistic to blame just him, number 1, and number 2, we have no idea whatsoever what he's saying...or doing behind closed doors with his players.  The fact that he doesn't publicly humiliate his troops is a good thing,...that rarely works.
    Hockey players at this level have to be driven to stay here.  Coaching is an element, but you can't instill drive, it has to come from within.
    CJ has built a good team defense, and that's usually a winning recipe in the playoffs.....but,... it seems to me, his systems aren't evolving.
      That's my problem with CJ, but I haven't seen enough effort yet, to be sure the "system' needs changed.  Maybe the team should consider parachuting in a shrink/motivator/cheerleader/hatchetman.  Maybe it needs a new coach, but for now, me thinks this group needs to play a lot more like professional hockey players....a lot more like their opponents to date.
    If I thought that was "purely"the coaches reponsibility, I'd be "all in" for a change. 

Sections
Shortcuts