Time to get Kaberle?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Time to get Kaberle?

Maybe this explains why they've had no need for an enforcer since the days of Darren McCarty. 

You really don't need one when you have a team that has beautiful "puck management" as this team does.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Time to get Kaberle?:
    [QUOTE]PP is vital for playoff success. Kaberle feeding Chara would be a nice option for sure.  I belive it would likely cost Wheeler and a 2nd rounder. I say spice it up.  Land Versteeg/Kaberle and give them Wheeler and our 1st rounder.  With Malkin gone for the year and Crosby hurt the drive to the final goes through Philly.  I would argue that we could be the 2nd best team in the east with Washington and Pitts injuries.  Make a run this year.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I watched the Leafs/Buffalo game last night and Kaberle was the Leafs lone bright spot.I still see Burke prying a 1st out of somebody for him.The deal you're talking sounds interesting for sureand you're right.This is the year to roll the dice and go for it all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

The draft this year is wilde open for picks 1 - 10 we could get a good player  so lets hold on to that  Toronto pick.

Go B's

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BattlingB. Show BattlingB's posts

While I agree with many posters thoughts on the appropriate "value" for Kaberle, I think you're missing one HUGE point.

He is an UFA at the end of the year and he has a NO TRADE clause.

HE's also said he'd only move it if the team was an Eastern conference team that had a chance of winning in the playoffs.

SO...that greatly limits Burke's options.

Pitt is out since they are set on D and hurting on O
    Philly doesn't need a D man and is close on cap dollars.
    Caps have the dollars but do they really want two somewhat irresponsible (defensive minded D men) on the team at once (Green/Kaberle)?
    TBay is too far south for him.
    Carolina is no threat.

SO basically it's us, MTL or the Rangers.
    Thats' not a lot of teams to leverage a deal out of for Burke and the other GM's know it. So I think the ultimate price will be a lot lower than you think.
    Now..if he IS packaged with Versteeg than that will change some things as some of the teams above need F help as well.

I can see a scenario such as...the team deals a 2nd rounder and maybe a "B level" prospect to Toronto with a clause stating that if he re-signs with the team that gets him (say the Bruins for example) then the pick is upgraded to a 1st (ours)..that way if he's a rental we only lose a 2nd rounder. If he resigns he's obviously worth more to us then and thus we'd give up our first..

We'll see, but I think he's going to either stay put in Toronto (thus pissing off their fans who see him leave for nothing after two years of trade talk) OR a deal in which the Leafs fans are also ticked about b/c the value coming back is low in their opinion.

Sections
Shortcuts