Time to sit Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Time to sit Thornton

In response to lucdufour's comment:

Fighting aside, I think he has played quite well this year....and has been a good complement to Paille and Campbell.  4th line has played well, right?????   He has kept up with Campbell and Paille in my estimation.  I have not seen too many things he has done negatively...and has scored a few goals to boot.  Don't forget that he only gets about 6+ min of ice time per game...whaddya expect?

I was one of the ones defending him on a turnover that cost the bruins a game.  I think there are better options.  I get his leadership.  You used detroit as a team that needs a tough guy.  They showed over the last decade plus why you dont need one.  Take a dumb goon penalty and we will kill you on the pp.  i dont recall many if any of their guys being a head hunted target or get dooped into a brawl.  They simply skate away.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I get you, Shupe. It'll be interesting to see if the Wings employ this same philosophy when they are in the Northeastern (Central) conference next year. 

Don't forget they had some more moxie (under your skin types) in year's past with Maltby, Kocur, Shanahan, Lapointe, Holmstorm  etc... as part of the mix in the last decade.  It's most notable this year that the Wings have decided to go with the 4 skilled lines---all they have is the great Tootoo that can mix it up with Bertuzzi being injured. 

At the same time,  Thornton has not really taken dumb goon penalties. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

For those of you that continue to rag on Thornton, why don't you become Redwing fans??  They try to play with 4 "skilled" line players while the other team takes liberties on Datsyuk and Zetterberg with no recourse.  The Wings continued to get pushed around.  B's are a lot tougher than the Wings and harder to play against. 

The unjustified resentment against Thorton is getting old. 

Yes, the B's are a lot tougher than the Wings.  Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Ference, Horton, Campbell, Marchand, Bergeron, Kelly, Krejci, Seidenberg...they'll all go when necessary.  Thornton doesn't go when necessary.  He goes when he and the other clown agree.  That doesn't make the team tough.  It just stops play.

You know what's old?  People who defend Thornton under the guise of fighting being important to hockey, and declaring those against "staged goon vs goon code fighting" to be pacifists. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The argument of the worth of ST hinges on his role as a deterrent to "other team aggressionism"which is clearly not the case this year.

In short, he has out lived his usefulness......next.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Ripping on ST is tired, he does his job and frankly, does it pretty well.

Those that are so troubled about his presence on the roster typically take the easy way out on this front.  They constantly rip on him.  Check me on this, but ST does not make the line combos, set the game line-up or create the roster (trade/sign players).  Absent in the criticism of him is any accountability to CJ for playing him or PC for signing him. 

ST is what he is.  If you don't like it, consider placing blame and critique at the feet of those that make him possible.

He is the 12th forward, not questioning that, but for me, I am glad they have him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I was wondering when the quarterly "Why do the Bruins keep Thornton ?" was going to arrive. I don't even notice him anymore, I could care less about his role. Julien likes Shawn and that's all she wrote, he stays.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Those that are so troubled about his presence on the roster typically take the easy way out on this front.  They constantly rip on him.  Check me on this, but ST does not make the line combos, set the game line-up or create the roster (trade/sign players).  Absent in the criticism of him is any accountability to CJ for playing him or PC for signing him. 

ST is what he is.  If you don't like it, consider placing blame and critique at the feet of those that make him possible.

He is the 12th forward, not questioning that, but for me, I am glad they have him. 

I'm not blaming Thornton as a person for anything.  I am not singling out whose fault it is.  I'm saying that the empty jersey that sits in the middle of the bench for most of the game is a useless waste.  I would prefer to see someone else take that ice time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm not blaming Thornton as a person for anything.  I am not singling out whose fault it is.  I'm saying that the empty jersey that sits in the middle of the bench for most of the game is a useless waste.  I would prefer to see someone else take that ice time.

I will agree that using someone else/better on some nights would be progress.  But the guy plays a role.

Still, here you go again calling him an "empty jersey" without any criticism of the coach.  You know it's the coach that puts him in line-up and on the ice, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Still, here you go again calling him an "empty jersey" without any criticism of the coach.  You know it's the coach that puts him in line-up and on the ice, right?

Did you miss the "I'm not blaming Thornton as a person for anything.  I am not singling out whose fault it is" part?

The role, the coach, the GM...whomever.  Doesn't matter who is at fault.  I see the role as useless and would prefer to see a different style of player take those minutes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Did you miss the "I'm not blaming Thornton as a person for anything.  I am not singling out whose fault it is" part?

The role, the coach, the GM...whomever.  Doesn't matter who is at fault.  I see the role as useless and would prefer to see a different style of player take those minutes.

We all know how you feel about ST, you repeat it often enough.

Maybe I am mincing words, but wouldn't the proper criticism be something like; "CJ needs to stop playing him and give those minutes to Tardif"?  You continue to bash ST as a player, but your frustration is somewhat mis-directed. 

PC puts him on the roster and CJ puts him in the line-up.  Calling him a "skating clown" over and over again is pretty unfair.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe I am mincing words, but wouldn't the proper criticism be something like; "CJ needs to stop playing him and give those minutes to Tardif"?  You continue to bash ST as a player, but your frustration is somewhat mis-directed. 

PC puts him on the roster and CJ puts him in the line-up.  Calling him a "skating clown" over and over again is pretty unfair.

They all are skating clowns.  Thornton isn't on an island.  They have no NHL skills.  They skate and they fight.  That's it.

When I say that I don't want him in the lineup, do you think that means I feel he should take himself out?  My posts suggest that he should go to Julien and say, "You know, they don't really have anyone for me to stage a fight with tonight, so you should scratch me."

Clearly not. 

Come on, Crowls.  What's your goal here?  Do you honestly need this clarity?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

They all are skating clowns.  Thornton isn't on an island.  They have no NHL skills.  They skate and they fight.  That's it.

When I say that I don't want him in the lineup, do you think that means I feel he should take himself out?  My posts suggest that he should go to Julien and say, "You know, they don't really have anyone for me to stage a fight with tonight, so you should scratch me."

Clearly not. 

Feel like I am pretty clear.  Easy for you to bash ST.  Not easy for you to bash CJ or PC. 

As bad as you think ST is, you must think CJ is a moron for putting him in the line-up and in the situations that he puts him in?  Also, must think PC is fairly incompetent for signing him to a 2-year extension @ $1.1M per year?  Or, maybe you have some faith in those two that they know what they have in the player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Amen Amen. Most of us who have watched the Bruins realize that IF, and it's a big IF, Thornton had more skill, the 4th line would be far more productive in scoring. Paille and Campbell are constantly creating scoring opportunities. Claude's use of Peverly, with Campbell and Paille, in the New Jersey 3rd period shows that he knows it also. however, Claude sometimes keeps a player, like Bourque, when a change should be made. With Thornton, Claude has been told of his "Fan Value" in Boston , where there are more fans who love fighting ahead of hockey. These sheckles fill the seats and Bruins coffers. Thornton does follow Claude's rules, even though his execution is usually faulty. More skill on the 4th line should produce better results.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Feel like I am pretty clear.  Easy for you to bash ST.  Not easy for you to bash CJ or PC. 

As bad as you think ST is, you must think CJ is a moron for putting him in the line-up and in the situations that he puts him in?  Also, must think PC is fairly incompetent for signing him to a 2-year extension @ $1.1M per year?  Or, maybe you have some faith in those two that they know what they have in the player.

How much of a choice has Julien had this year?  He doesn't make roster moves.  Chiarelli does.  Julien's choices have been Thornton or MacDermid for most of the year.

This goes beyond Boston, however, Crowls.  Thornton is the local example.  I despise the entire culture of the skating clown.  I have been very clear on this.  I love angry hockey fights.  I hate skating clown code attaboygoodfight interruptions.

Julien?  I hate the 4th line out after a goal.  I hate him crying in the press about embellishment.  I hate young stars getting 17 minutes. 

As for Chiarelli, yes, I think that the Thornton contract is a bad one.  I also think the Hamill draft pick, the Caron draft pick, the Corvo signing, last year's deadline bonerfest and a few other actions have been awful.  He's also made some great moves.

Overall, this is all my personal preference.  I dislike games being interrupted by an unrelated fight.  I didn't start this thread.  Someone else did.  I'm just commenting on it.  Yes, my feelings on Thornton and the rest of the skating clowns are clear. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Clearly not. 

Crowls i will say what you are hinting at.  Cj is a moron for dressing him and pc had to be drunk when signing that extension.  There are numerous good forth line role players that can be picked up and used better at league minimum.  

You didnt sign him or dress him.  So yes those two are morons for employing this guy and playing him.  People bashed Hendricks but at least he has a "playing" role.  

Its not ST fault he gets in the lineup.  i would rather see a hockey player in the lineup that can offer more.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS/shupe- I hear you and don't disagree.  But it is a bit of "hate the game, not the player", right?  You two are brutal on ST, guy is just doing his job, and seems to do it better than most. 

Also should keep in mind that he gets 8 minutes per game.  To constantly attack him is a bit of nibbling on the margins, as if 8 minutes of Jamie Tardif makes a material difference?  I am with you guys in that I would like to see the team's best guys see increased minutes and very ok if that happens at ST's expense.  Also, would like to see CJ put ST in press box on night's where the other side has no heavyweight.

I am not in the locker room, assume you guys are not either, but ST seems to be a pretty important guy there.  I don't know how you quantify that, but the organization seems to value it.  Would you agree? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

i just guess that some on here would prefer instead that guys like Chara & Looch go toe-to-toe against the likes of John Scott....  whether we like it or not, fighting still exists....  

ask them if they consider Thornton to be a "clown"....

again, when you start to expect scoring from your fourth line there's something terribly wrong.... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

i just guess that some on here would prefer instead that guys like Chara & Looch go toe-to-toe against the likes of John Scott....  whether we like it or not, fighting still exists....  

again, when you start to expect scoring from your fourth line there's something terribly wrong.... 

Not at all.  When has scott gone after anyone like chara or lucic.  fighting can exist without the knuckle draggers who cant play the game.  Ask the guy in the press box or minors if they think hes a clown.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Who's asking for goals from the fourth line?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS/shupe- I hear you and don't disagree.  But it is a bit of "hate the game, not the player", right?  You two are brutal on ST, guy is just doing his job, and seems to do it better than most. 

Also should keep in mind that he gets 8 minutes per game.  To constantly attack him is a bit of nibbling on the margins, as if 8 minutes of Jamie Tardif makes a material difference?  I am with you guys in that I would like to see the team's best guys see increased minutes and very ok if that happens at ST's expense.  Also, would like to see CJ put ST in press box on night's where the other side has no heavyweight.

I am not in the locker room, assume you guys are not either, but ST seems to be a pretty important guy there.  I don't know how you quantify that, but the organization seems to value it.  Would you agree? 

I think ST is probably a heck of a guy, funny and probably hosts the parties.  Biznasty is the same but that team treats him like he is.  A clown.  meaning he plays when other clowns put their big shoes on.  And hes signed on a cheap contract.  most of these guys are entertaining off the ice and for that they are nice to have around.  If ST dresses against teams with similar in the lineup im fine with it.  But a game tonight against a fast team and no clown he isnt needed.  He looks very bad when we play good teams.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Crowls, this has been addressed above.  I'm not sure why you keep asking/saying the same things.

No need for Tardif to play on the fourth line.  We sure are lucky Marchand did, however.  If there isn't anyone in Providence that could benefit from eight minutes a game in the NHL, then the organizational depth/drafting needs a harder look.  We all know this to be true.

I don't know Thornton or care to.  It doesn't change my opinion that the fourth line winger position that he fills could be used for something more than staged fights and bouncing on the bench.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Well, we'll find out soon enough if/when Kelly comes back. I don't hate Thornton, as he's played his role well. I am however tired of his always being late to a check or driving out of his lane to try and crank some guy into a corner (and never getting there). In the past he has been a valued piece to a puzzle, right now that piece doesn't fit.

Honestly, I'd think most of us would be just fine with a Campbell/Paille/Daugavins 4th line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Who's asking for goals from the fourth line?

the original poster, BrunoD i think, was asking for more skill on the fourth line....

Sections
Shortcuts