Time to Talk Trade(s)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Re: Time to Talk Trade(s)

Furthermore I would consider giving up Seguin and other parts for Parise.  Parise is a sure thing; potent goal scorer, team leader, true 1st line player, in his prime.  I agree including Seguin would be tough to swallow.  But let's be honest although he flashes the talent and is still only 18 he is not a sure thing 1st line player.  He has gots lots of growing to do to prove that.  It may take 2-4 yrs before it happens if at all.  B's in a lot of ways are built to win now with guys like Chara and Thomas not getting any younger.  Parise equals win now!   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s):
    In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : Still -- Teams aren't out there looking to do us any favors.  Everyone in the league knows how valuable cap space is to us.  We'd have to pay for that.
    Posted by FerenceONpoint

Cap space is valuable to most teams.  So why wouldn't Ryder's expiring contract be attractive to a GM that is looking to rebuild, while unloading a veteran player that may be underperforming his current contract that has multiple years left on it?  For example Sergei Gonchar of Ottawa.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

NJ is not going to be a good trading partner for anyone. They are in worse Cap trouble than the B's, they will want to move Rolston in any trade, and no team is going to take that cap hit. Parise is a pipe dream, they arent giving him up. And why would you want to rip 3 nhl guys out of the lineup for 1 ?  that means you have to have 2 AHL guys ready to make the jump, or somehow orchestrate trades within a already busting cap? I cant see the B's making any trades unless Savard goes on LTIR

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

NJ is not going to be a good trading partner for anyone. They are in worse Cap trouble than the B's, they will want to move Rolston in any trade, and no team is going to take that cap hit. Parise is a pipe dream, they arent giving him up. And why would you want to rip 3 nhl guys out of the lineup for 1 ?  that means you have to have 2 AHL guys ready to make the jump, or somehow orchestrate trades within a already busting cap? I cant see the B's making any trades unless Savard goes on LTIR
    Posted by moogfan35

On 1 hand you say NJ is in worse trouble cap-wise than Boston.On the other hand you say there's no way they let Parise go.Well,which is it?As far as I can tell,they may not have a choice if Parise signs an offer sheet for high enough dollars.Kovalchuk isn't going anywhere so they may have to let Parise go.Rumour has it that Parise no longer wants to be there so something's gotta give......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : Cap space is valuable to most teams.  So why wouldn't Ryder's expiring contract be attractive to a GM that is looking to rebuild, while unloading a veteran player that may be underperforming his current contract that has multiple years left on it?  For example Sergei Gonchar of Ottawa.
    Posted by MeanE

Mostly, because rebuilding teams aren't too concerned with this year.  Ryder hits the open market July 1, and if they want him, all they have to do is sign him, and not give up any assets.  Lots of teams would like to have Gonchar....take a chance on him for this years playoffs, however, due to the fact he has multiple years left, it makes the deal way too much of a gamble, and handcuffs the team for years to come.  The only GM willing to make that move, is one who is convinced in his own mind, that Gonchar will revert back to his elite status.  He's on the wrong side of 30 though, not playing well and Pittsburgh hasn't missed a beat without him, further showing his lack of importance.
    Last fall, if Gonchar had signed a mega buck, 1 year deal with Ottawa...he'd be a hot commodity come deadline day, because a contender would take a chance, knowing they wouldn't be stuck with him next year if things didn't work out.
    But with his contract, Gonchar's in Ottawa for a while.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

Sorry Dez,
     Meant to say this season they are in a worse cap situation then the b's and since they aren't in the playoff hunt they don't really need to make any moves and defiantly wouldn't want to take on more salary. Plus they have time to open cap space for Parise next season. They have alot more pieces to try and move before they even think about moving him, unless he forces their hand which wouldn't happen until next season anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Sorry Dez,  This season they are in a worse cap situation then the b's and since they aren't in the playoff hunt they don't really need to make any moves and defiantly wouldn't want to take on more salary. Plus they have time to open cap space for Parise next season. They have alot more pieces to try and move before they even think about moving him, unless he forces their hand which wouldn't happen until next season anyway.
    Posted by moogfan35

Actually Moog, NJ have very few pieces they can move for the sake of improvement.  With the exception of Parise and Arnott, every significant piece on the team is already locked in for multiple years.
    Simply put, dealing to gain cap space means you're going to take it on the chin again.  Otherwise, you're trading a player, for another comparable player.
    Using Rolston as an example, the only way NJ gets rid of him, is to provide added value to any team that they may be able to pawn him off on.  Usually, that added value, is a player teams would like to keep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : Mostly, because rebuilding teams aren't too concerned with this year.  Ryder hits the open market July 1, and if they want him, all they have to do is sign him, and not give up any assets.  Lots of teams would like to have Gonchar....take a chance on him for this years playoffs, however, due to the fact he has multiple years left, it makes the deal way too much of a gamble, and handcuffs the team for years to come.  The only GM willing to make that move, is one who is convinced in his own mind, that Gonchar will revert back to his elite status.  He's on the wrong side of 30 though, not playing well and Pittsburgh hasn't missed a beat without him, further showing his lack of importance. Last fall, if Gonchar had signed a mega buck, 1 year deal with Ottawa...he'd be a hot commodity come deadline day, because a contender would take a chance, knowing they wouldn't be stuck with him next year if things didn't work out. But with his contract, Gonchar's in Ottawa for a while.
    Posted by stevegm

My point is not that Ottawa wants Ryder because they are concerned with this year.  Take the name and player out of the equation, it's the expiring contract that they want and to trade a contract. like Gonchar's with 2 years remaining.  By acquiring expiring contracts and getting rid of multiple year contracts, teams that are in rebuilding mode will have the necessary cap space to sign free agents and relieve themselves from players that just don't fit for any number of reasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : Actually Moog, NJ have very few pieces they can move for the sake of improvement.  With the exception of Parise and Arnott, every significant piece on the team is already locked in for multiple years. Simply put, dealing to gain cap space means you're going to take it on the chin again.  Otherwise, you're trading a player, for another comparable player. Using Rolston as an example, the only way NJ gets rid of him, is to provide added value to any team that they may be able to pawn him off on.  Usually, that added value, is a player teams would like to keep.
    Posted by stevegm

Correct,  the pieces I was referring to were those bloated contracts, which they have plenty of, before moving Parise. Maybe they move Elias, Brodeur or Arnott. All still offer teams a value in return and teams may be willing to swallow those contracts a little easier say than a Rolston. This would give them much needed relief and keep another All-Star in the lineup to play with Kovy. I dont see them moving Parise

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

WHY  ?? This Bruins team can play very well when Claude lets them, and Claude is staying. Right now it's possible that Savvy is out. An easy solution is to promote Hamill and let him center Ryder and Horton; add Marchand/Bergeron/Recchi; Lucic/Kreji/Seguin; plus Wheeler/Campbell/ replace Thornton with Paille. This 4th line would have as much speed and PK intensity as any line in the league. It would validate why Thornton, as committed as he is, is not necessary for this team. The defense should then be Chara/Boychuck; Seids/Kamfer/ Ference/ McQuaid or Stuart/McQuaid. Who do you trade and for what reason??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

I can't even believe what I was reading on this post!!!! What narcotics are these people on who think that NJ would have ANY interest in Ryder or Stuart????? NJ is out of the playoff picture...and both Ryder & Stuart are UNRESTRICED FREE AGENTS in 2 months...WHY ON EARTH would NJ want either???? Sorry Cam...but WOW...share what you're smoking....PLEASE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : My point is not that Ottawa wants Ryder because they are concerned with this year.  Take the name and player out of the equation, it's the expiring contract that they want and to trade a contract. like Gonchar's with 2 years remaining.  By acquiring expiring contracts and getting rid of multiple year contracts, teams that are in rebuilding mode will have the necessary cap space to sign free agents and relieve themselves from players that just don't fit for any number of reasons.
    Posted by MeanE

In your context Mean, nobody wants to trade expiring contracts for multiple year contracts, or vice versa.
      End of story.
     Teams want "expiring contracts" for "rentals", or they wait and sign them next year for free.  Those looking for rentals, will throw in a prospect, "for the now".  If you're rebuilding, why would you trade(give up an asset) for someone that could likely walk in 23 games.
    On the other side, the only reason teams are looking to shed long term contracts, is because they're not playing to pay scale, or they have a cap problem, or both.  In any event, the whole world knows it, and pro sports teams don't do things to help other teams get out of a jam.  They hold them ransom, making it virtually impossible to move those guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : You could be right but I think he's moveable enough.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Ryder is very, very moveable.  Any contender with 1.5 in cap space would take him in a minute.  Problem is, the B's would get jack in return, so it makes zero sense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Ok, what'd the Leafs give up for Kessel? Parise is better than Kessel and the relationship between Parise and the Devils is a lot better than the relationship between Kessel and the Bruins was... so they don't HAVE to move him. They're not shopping him, he's a young near elite RFA, and they won't just be letting him go at the end of the year. If you want Parise, it has to be a HOCKEY TRADE, where near equal assets go in both directions. You have to give up something meaningful off your roster... and probably address a specific need for the Devils. Piece number 1 would probably be Bergeron and then build around that.
    I love Parise. I love Bergeron. I'd prefer Parise... but do the Devils feel they'd want Bergeron over Parise?
    Probably not. Bergeron is a sensible-shoe and VERY good player, but he's not a prolific scorer like Parise... harder asset to find. So the Bruins would have to sweeten the pot to make them feel even close to dealing him. Let's say Bergeron, Kampfer, and a 1st rounder. Do the Devils do that? Possibly. Are you willing to give up that much? Maybe/maybe not. But stop talking about dealing Ryder/Wheeler for Parise. They're not equal assets (Parise scores more goals [38] than Ryder/Wheeler combined [18 each=36] and only takes up 1 roster spot... more efficient, becase you get goals from whoever fills that other spot), not going to happen. Even if they were, Parise is proven to work in that environment, and is an important marketing name for the Devils brand where as Ryder and Wheeler are not names that really help you. All things even, they'd still stay with Parise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Ok, what'd the Leafs give up for Kessel? Parise is better than Kessel and the relationship between Parise and the Devils is a lot better than the relationship between Kessel and the Bruins was... so they don't HAVE to move him. They're not shopping him, he's a young near elite RFA, and they won't just be letting him go at the end of the year. If you want Parise, it has to be a HOCKEY TRADE, where near equal assets go in both directions. You have to give up something meaningful off your roster... and probably address a specific need for the Devils. Piece number 1 would probably be Bergeron and then build around that. I love Parise. I love Bergeron. I'd prefer Parise... but do the Devils feel they'd want Bergeron over Parise? Probably not. Bergeron is a sensible-shoe and VERY good player, but he's not a prolific scorer like Parise... harder asset to find. So the Bruins would have to sweeten the pot to make them feel even close to dealing him. Let's say Bergeron, Kampfer, and a 1st rounder. Do the Devils do that? Possibly. Are you willing to give up that much? Maybe/maybe not. But stop talking about dealing Ryder/Wheeler for Parise. They're not equal assets (Parise scores more goals [38] than Ryder/Wheeler combined [18 each=36] and only takes up 1 roster spot... more efficient, becase you get goals from whoever fills that other spot), not going to happen. Even if they were, Parise is proven to work in that environment, and is an important marketing name for the Devils brand where as Ryder and Wheeler are not names that really help you. All things even, they'd still stay with Parise.
    Posted by Tommy617

if Parise signs an offer sheet that NJ can't afford to match then what are they supposed to do?I get that they don't want to lose Parise but,unfortunately,what you want and what is possible aren't always the same thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Ok, what'd the Leafs give up for Kessel? Parise is better than Kessel and the relationship between Parise and the Devils is a lot better than the relationship between Kessel and the Bruins was... so they don't HAVE to move him. They're not shopping him, he's a young near elite RFA, and they won't just be letting him go at the end of the year. If you want Parise, it has to be a HOCKEY TRADE, where near equal assets go in both directions. You have to give up something meaningful off your roster... and probably address a specific need for the Devils. Piece number 1 would probably be Bergeron and then build around that. I love Parise. I love Bergeron. I'd prefer Parise... but do the Devils feel they'd want Bergeron over Parise? Probably not. Bergeron is a sensible-shoe and VERY good player, but he's not a prolific scorer like Parise... harder asset to find. So the Bruins would have to sweeten the pot to make them feel even close to dealing him. Let's say Bergeron, Kampfer, and a 1st rounder. Do the Devils do that? Possibly. Are you willing to give up that much? Maybe/maybe not. But stop talking about dealing Ryder/Wheeler for Parise. They're not equal assets (Parise scores more goals [38] than Ryder/Wheeler combined [18 each=36] and only takes up 1 roster spot... more efficient, becase you get goals from whoever fills that other spot), not going to happen. Even if they were, Parise is proven to work in that environment, and is an important marketing name for the Devils brand where as Ryder and Wheeler are not names that really help you. All things even, they'd still stay with Parise.
    Posted by Tommy617

Good post tommy.  I'm sure the Devils will do anything humanly possible to keep him.  With their cap situation though, a really high offer sheet may leave them no choice.  Despite the rhetoric, the B's didn't want to let Kessel go the way he did either.  They got nothing back for 09/10, and it obviously hurt them for that season, and last year was supposed to be "the year".  
    It'll be interesting how the Parise thing shakes out, but like you say, Ryder and Wheeler is a joke.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : Good post tommy.  I'm sure the Devils will do anything humanly possible to keep him.  With their cap situation though, a really high offer sheet may leave them no choice.  Despite the rhetoric, the B's didn't want to let Kessel go the way he did either.  They got nothing back for 09/10, and it obviously hurt them for that season, and last year was supposed to be "the year".   It'll be interesting how the Parise thing shakes out, but like you say, Ryder and Wheeler is a joke.   
    Posted by stevegm

Ryder,Wheeler,our 1st and the Leafs 1st isn't as laughable though(certainly a start anyway).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : Ryder,Wheeler,our 1st and the Leafs 1st isn't as laughable though(certainly a start anyway).
    Posted by dezaruchi

Yup, that would at least ensure someone picked the phone up.  However, you'd have to admit from NJ's standpoint, Wheeler, TO's first and our first would be just as enticing without Ryder.  If Lou was interested, he'd say "I don't need Ryder, If I want him, I'll get him in July, throw in someone else and call me back."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

If Savy is done for the year freeing up some cap space, I think Streit might be a good pickup for PC.  He wont be a rental either, he is locked up for two more seasons.  Streit has averaged 56 points a season over the last three seasons and has 85 PP points over those three seasons.  That will solve their "puck moving defensemen" and power play quarterback problem both short term and for the next couple years.  He hasn't played at all this year because of an injury but could be back in February.  Islanders are clearly rebuilding and would probably deal him for a package of picks/prospects/young roster player.  I think somehting along the lines of Boychuk, 2nd rd pick, and a prospect would get it done. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Talk Trade(s) : As long as Boston is there(and Toronto isn't)I don't care who else makes the play-offs.
    Posted by dezaruchi

EXACTLY!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Let's be realistic.  We're not getting Parise or Elias or Stafford.

Boston will end up with a veteran rental. 

Corey Stillman ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Let's be realistic.  We're not getting Parise or Elias or Stafford. Boston will end up with a veteran rental.  Corey Stillman ?
    Posted by olsonstephanie

I think you may be correct Olson.  The only thing that bugs me, is the fact that the masses refuse to be realistic, and won't be satisfied unless we get at least a Stamkos for Paille.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Five4Fighting. Show Five4Fighting's posts

Yeah if it weren't for him signing a deal a few weeks ago to play in the KHL I would expect Miro Satan coming back to the team, rather than any type of blockbuster trade.

Sections
Shortcuts