Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes:
    In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Not really, can move Winnipeg back to West and Pheonix back to East as Nordiques. I'm guessing the deal is done, like i said before, you don't spend 400 million on an NHL rink without a handshake deal in place.
    Posted by kelvana33

I think that's exactly the case. Relocate Winnipeg.

The handshake deal is also very probable. Last year, Quebec city mayor met with Bettman to discuss possibilities and I remember the mayor stating afterwords that no deal was in place but there is an understanding between both parties that the first step towards the city getting a team is building a new arena. 

Sounds like a handshake deal to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Feel free to read what I wrote again.  Save your hockey history lessons for others.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

One caveat to this. Remember the old Jets were stripped of most of their players when they entered the NHL and were in the toughest division in the league during the 80's and early 90's. It would be tough for any expansion team to survive playing those Oiler and Flames team every year in the playoffs during that era.

As for Pheonix...well, they just plain sucked and still do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : One caveat to this. Remember the old Jets were stripped of most of their players when they entered the NHL and were in the toughest division in the league during the 80's and early 90's. It would be tough for any expansion team to survive playing those Oiler and Flames team every year in the playoffs during that era. As for Pheonix...well, they just plain sucked and still do.
    Posted by jaywall

I don't think we're going to see any expansion for the foreseeable future.  Relocations? Of course, as there should be. 

As for Phoenix? They may suck as a hockey market, but they're a decent team right now.  It just goes to show that just because there is the wherewithall to build an arena, doesn't mean that there's a market to support an NHL team.  On the other hand, the absence of an "NHL quality" arena (i.e. MTS Centre) doesn't indicate the absence of sufficient support for a team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : I don't think we're going to see any expansion for the foreseeable future.  Relocations? Of course, as there should be.  As for Phoenix? They may suck as a hockey market, but they're a decent team right now.  It just goes to show that just because there is the wherewithall to build an arena, doesn't mean that there's a market to support an NHL team.  On the other hand, the absence of an "NHL quality" arena (i.e. MTS Centre) doesn't indicate the absence of sufficient support for a team.
    Posted by 49-North

Point taken. I just do not think that a franchise that has not gone past the first round of the playoffs since its inception (like Phoenix)  deserves any kudos for being a decent team. There is nothing that helps the box office more than winning. Phoenix had their shot early on to create a decent fan base but failed due to their lack of success. There is no reason when the Jets first moved south that they could not pull a Dallas and succeed. Their time is now past and it is time to move on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : One caveat to this. Remember the old Jets were stripped of most of their players when they entered the NHL and were in the toughest division in the league during the 80's and early 90's. It would be tough for any expansion team to survive playing those Oiler and Flames team every year in the playoffs during that era. As for Pheonix...well, they just plain sucked and still do.
    Posted by jaywall

The Jets had plenty of time to get better to take on those teams.

They just didn't.

They drafted terribly and traded worse.

Here's an example of great Jets moves:

September 30, 1987

Jets trade a 4th round pick in 1987 for George McPhee

October 7, 1987

Jets trade George McPhee for a 7th round pick in the 1987 draft.

Obviously this wouldn't make much of a difference either way, but it sure is funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : The Jets had plenty of time to get better to take on those teams. They just didn't. They drafted terribly and traded worse. Here's an example of great Jets moves: September 30, 1987 Jets trade a 4th round pick in 1987 for George McPhee October 7, 1987 Jets trade George McPhee for a 7th round pick in the 1987 draft. Obviously this wouldn't make much of a difference either way, but it sure is funny.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

True, but to play devil's advocate for a moment they did draft the likes of Selanne, Tkachuk, Khabibulin, and Hawerchuk. Just was not in the cards for them. No one (not even the Bruins) were going to beat the Oilers or Flames in that era.

In hindsight, they should have modelled themselves after Calgary who designed their team for the explicit purpose of defeating Edmonton. But even they seldom did so.

I see your point though. By the way, George turned out to be a better GM than he ever was a player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

It will be Quebec City... Amen

Don't fix the problem (Phoenix) by creating another problem (Seattle, KC, Vegas, Mexico City, Capetown, Lisbonne, Lebanon, etc...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : True, but to play devil's advocate for a moment they did draft the likes of Selanne, Tkachuk, Khabibulin, and Hawerchuk. Just was not in the cards for them. No one (not even the Bruins) were going to beat the Oilers or Flames in that era. In hindsight, they should have modelled themselves after Calgary who designed their team for the explicit purpose of defeating Edmonton. But even they seldom did so. I see your point though. By the way, George turned out to be a better GM than he ever was a player.
    Posted by jaywall

Hawerchuk was easy, first overall.  The rest didn't come until later.  They did draft Andrew McBain.  The next pick?  Cam Neely.  Nice job, Jets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Hawerchuk was easy, first overall.  The rest didn't come until later.  They did draft Andrew McBain.  The next pick?  Cam Neely.  Nice job, Jets.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

McBain did score 30 one year did he not? Thanks to Mr. Hawerchuk. One of their worst was Jimmy Mann. What a stud he turned out to be. Plus, giving Draper away to the Wings for $1. Ugh.

check out this sight:

http://www.curtiswalker.com/jets/mann.aspx

Backs up what you are saying.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

I think if the Oilers would`nt have been so strong at
    that time Winnipeg could have won A Stanley cup Same with the Bruins

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : McBain did score 30 one year did he not? Thanks to Mr. Hawerchuk. One of their worst was Jimmy Mann. What a stud he turned out to be. Plus, giving Draper away to the Wings for $1. Ugh. check out this sight: http://www.curtiswalker.com/jets/mann.aspx Backs up what you are saying.
    Posted by jaywall

I don't think anyone could make a reasonable argument that Draper for a loonie is not the worst trade in the history of the NHL. You can talk about the Neely trade, Espo trade etc. But Draper for a buck? Worst. Trade. Ever. Period.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

Quebec city is beautiful. a great town to visit. would love to see that rivalry again.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts