Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes:
    I was referring to the first round of last years playoffs. They whited out the arena. It was pretty cool.
    Posted by lambda13

lamda, my point was that tradition started when they were the Jets 1.0. They do support them when they make the playoffs, it's just the other 41 home games where they don't show up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Not sure about that. The main reasons they failed the last time were ownership, the Canadian dollar, the woeful economy there and their building. The first three of those problems have been solved (while I don't like or trust Pelladeau, he does have deep pockets). The building is the main remaining problem, and I'm not sure if that will be solved anytime soon. That said, along with Atlanta, Quebec is one of only two cities where the NHL has failed twice. Third times the charm maybe? I don't think out of hand that the NHL failing once in a city is reason enough by itself to not revisit a market - going back to a market has worked with the Avs, Sens, Pens, Flyers, Jets, Sharks, and Wild.
    Posted by red75

Too many things have to go right to work in the Q. So what happens when the Canadian dollar weakens to the US dollar again? Revenue comes in Canadian $ but goes out in US $. The building issue is huge. Back then there was a problem with players who didn't want to play in a what amounts to a french only environment. I don't think that's changed. For most players they will deal with it but it is a disadvantage as there will be some, albeit a small minority, who will not want to go there. You mention ownership. Without rock-solid, committed owners with deep pockets the franchise would fail within a decade. Pelladeau, other than being loaded doesn't fit the profile IMO.

Quebec would be the smallest NHL market by a fair margin. Again, I think it's too risky.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Too many things have to go right to work in the Q. So what happens when the Canadian dollar weakens to the US dollar again? Revenue comes in Canadian $ but goes out in US $. The building issue is huge. Back then there was a problem with players who didn't want to play in a what amounts to a french only environment. I don't think that's changed. For most players they will deal with it but it is a disadvantage as there will be some, albeit a small minority, who will not want to go there. You mention ownership. Without rock-solid, committed owners with deep pockets the franchise would fail within a decade. Pelladeau, other than being loaded doesn't fit the profile IMO. Quebec would be the smallest NHL market by a fair margin. Again, I think it's too risky.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

You may be right - and I have no love for Pelladeau either. I still think the best option is Seattle. If they can ever get a replacement for the Bradley Centre in place, I'd say Milwaukee would be the second best choice. Moving to two new markets that also happen to love hockey. There's four Major Junior teams in Washington - does any state have more?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : You may be right - and I have no love for Pelladeau either. I still think the best option is Seattle. If they can ever get a replacement for the Bradley Centre in place, I'd say Milwaukee would be the second best choice. Moving to two new markets that also happen to love hockey. There's four Major Junior teams in Washington - does any state have more?
    Posted by red75

100% agreement on Seattle and Milwaukee. Both would be a vast improvement over Bettman's obsession with bringing hockey to the sunbelt. I think his goal was to keep moving south until there are teams in Mexico City, Rio and Havana.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Pacific Northwest is fine.  Quebec needs a hockey team, and they are not like Montreal! Seattle would be the best fit for Pheonix and the new alignment once the NHLPA has its last gasp of power.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

My 2 cents puts me in the minority...but I truly believe the #1 factor in franchise success in any emerging market is arena placement. Phoenix is a sprawl of a place...and there is absolutely no benefit to where the area is located. It's one of many reasons why the Panthers can't draw jack while the Bolts do fine.

There are certainly exceptions (Carolina being in the boonies of Greater Raleigh in order to draw from Chapel Hill and Durham), and downtown areas that don't attract anyone (hello, Atlanta). But for THIS decision, I think Seattle and Milwaukee will work only if the arena is located downtown.

Vegas makes no sense. Locals are so transient and so focused on work, I can't imagine a team working there. Maybe NBA. Market reminds me of Orlando, which does well by the Magic but wouldn't be able to sustain baseball or hockey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

My 2 cents puts me in the minority...but I truly believe the #1 factor in franchise success in any emerging market is arena placement. Phoenix is a sprawl of a place...and there is absolutely no benefit to where the area is located. It's one of many reasons why the Panthers can't draw jack while the Bolts do fine. There are certainly exceptions (Carolina being in the boonies of Greater Raleigh in order to draw from Chapel Hill and Durham), and downtown areas that don't attract anyone (hello, Atlanta). But for THIS decision, I think Seattle and Milwaukee will work only if the arena is located downtown. Vegas makes no sense. Locals are so transient and so focused on work, I can't imagine a team working there. Maybe NBA. Market reminds me of Orlando, which does well by the Magic but wouldn't be able to sustain baseball or hockey.
    Posted by asmaha

I agree with the importance of arena placement. The talks in Milwaukee have been about putting it across the street from the Bradley Centre (the arena the Bradley replaced is there). With Seattle, it would be built in SoDo next door to Safeco Field and CenturyLink stadium, so the NHL team, any new NBA squad, the Seahawks, the Sounders, and the Mariners, would all be in the same overall complex/district. Five pro-teams in one spot, seems like good placement to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think the days of new stadia/arenas 'out in the boonies' are over and done.  Downtown is the place to be.  Close to the hotels, businesses, good transit, off-peak parking access.   

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well the race for ateam may change a bit today.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391352

TSN is reporting a major news conference later today in Quebec regarding the arena plans. They have finally come to an agreement it sounds like.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

QC is officially breaking ground on an 18,000 seat arena in September. Does that put them ahead of Seattle now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

QC is officially breaking ground on an 18,000 seat arena in September. Does that put them ahead of Seattle now?
    Posted by red75

Absolutley, you don't spend 400 million on something unless you have a handshake deal already in place. Coyotes are going to Quebec.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7734874/construction-quebec-arena-set-september

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Absolutley, you don't spend 400 million on something unless you have a handshake deal already in place. Coyotes are going to Quebec. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7734874/construction-quebec-arena-set-september
    Posted by kelvana33

Hope you're right kel, but Winnipeg took 7 years to get a team after building their rink, Hamilton never got one after building Copps, and KC is still looking for a major tenant. Getting the building isn't a guarantee for a club right away. Though in terms of interim rinks, the Collisee will be better than Key.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

That's good for Quebec and its fans.   It's good for TSN.   It will be a nightmare for NBC and the US media market.   I don't see the suits at NBC excited about seeing a Quebec vs Calgary Cup Final.   But, it works that way with all sports: FOX was dreading a Tampa Bay vs. Arizona World Series; CBS would have a nightmare over a Jacksonvile vs. Carolina Super Bowl.   
    Posted by ipot

Good points, it's going to bring that idiot out with his Bettman/NBC comments. But don't forget NHL gets money from Canadien TV markets as well. Not sure how much TV revenue Arizona market brings in, but also FOX did well with two N.Y -New England super bowls.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think the days of new stadia/arenas 'out in the boonies' are over and done.  Downtown is the place to be.  Close to the hotels, businesses, good transit, off-peak parking access. Posted by 49-North

Huge success for the Padres it changed the skyline of San Diego with all the hotels that popped up and it will be for Marlins baseball as well. Panthers should have done this, Sunrise was a mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't see the suits at NBC excited about seeing a Quebec vs Calgary Cup Final. 
    Posted by ipot

That pitiful franchise, since it's inception as the NHL Jets, has won two playoff rounds.

The Coyodeeks won't be challenging for the Cup anytime soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Good points, it's going to bring that idiot out with his Bettman/NBC comments. But don't forget NHL gets money from Canadien TV markets as well. Not sure how much TV revenue Arizona market brings in, but also FOX did well with two N.Y -New England super bowls.
    Posted by kelvana33

Kel just did some quick research and the NHL gets $65 million a year from CBC
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/03/26/hockey-night-in-canada.html

TSN pays about $17 million a year for national coverage
    http://www.bizofhockey.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=141&Itemid=1

And then Sportsnet and TSN have regional deals with the 7 teams. No idea what those contracts are worth.

Both the CBC and TSN deals come up for renegotiation in 2014. One would think with one, and possibly two, teams added during the course of the current contract, those deals would go up significantly.

As it is, best I can figure in terms of national broadcast contracts the NHL currently gets 282 million from NBC,CBC, and TSN a year, so less than a third comes from the Candian market, with the contracts signed when Canada had 6 teams. If it goes up to 8 teams, I'd figure the contracts would likely go up to a point where over a third of national broadcast revenues come from Canada.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : That pitiful franchise, since it's inception as the NHL Jets, has won two playoff rounds. The Coyodeeks won't be challenging for the Cup anytime soon.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not to split hairs, but since their inception they've won 12 playoff rounds. Remember, that franchise started in the WHA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Not to split hairs, but since their inception they've won 12 playoff rounds. Remember, that franchise started in the WHA.
    Posted by red75

Feel free to read what I wrote again.  Save your hockey history lessons for others.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

My bad, NAS - missed the NHL comment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Dawson City would be better than Phoenix. QC is a veritable heaven for that franchise. Nothing bad about Quebec. Eastern Time zone, natural rivalries, hockey mad area.

If you build it, they will come. They can even have the Stasny Brothers drop the first puck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

If Phoenix moves, it will be to Seattle. They have just about everything in place there for the Coyotes to move there. Also, the NHL prefers to keep Phoenix in the West. Quebec may get a team eventually, but it isn't going to be Phoenix. I wouldn't be surprised to see Columbus or Florida move there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If Phoenix moves, it will be to Seattle. They have just about everything in place there for the Coyotes to move there. Also, the NHL prefers to keep Phoenix in the West. Quebec may get a team eventually, but it isn't going to be Phoenix. I wouldn't be surprised to see Columbus or Florida move there.
    Posted by lordy4

Not really, can move Winnipeg back to West and Pheonix back to East as Nordiques. I'm guessing the deal is done, like i said before, you don't spend 400 million on an NHL rink without a handshake deal in place.

Sections
Shortcuts