Timmy Time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Timmy Time?

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I call him a liar because I read an interview in which he stated the Bruins could be certain that he would show up and give 100% for the length of his deal. That was a lie, hence, he is a liar.

Was it a lie?  Or did he have every intention on showing up & giving 100% for the length of the deal?  Or did circumstances change in his personal life that didn't allow for him do so?  Do you have a family Dez?  Do you have a wife & kids?  Would you do anything for them?  Ever think that family is more important to TT than his job or a game is?

I'm not a mind reader so I have no idea what his intention was. I only know what he said and did. I have zero interest in his political views or religious beliefs and I sincerely hope all is well with his family. I am also grateful for his contributions to the Cup run but that doesn't mean I have to like the way he left. I don't. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Is it? Because in the reasons he listed family was 33% of his explanation for taking a year off.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously even if it is 33%, it was enough to walk away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I call him a liar because I read an interview in which he stated the Bruins could be certain that he would show up and give 100% for the length of his deal. That was a lie, hence, he is a liar.

Was it a lie?  Or did he have every intention on showing up & giving 100% for the length of the deal?  Or did circumstances change in his personal life that didn't allow for him do so?  Do you have a family Dez?  Do you have a wife & kids?  Would you do anything for them?  Ever think that family is more important to TT than his job or a game is?

I'm not a mind reader so I have no idea what his intention was. I only know what he said and did. I have zero interest in his political views or religious beliefs and I sincerely hope all is well with his family. I am also grateful for his contributions to the Cup run but that doesn't mean I have to like the way he left. I don't. 

Well said Dez

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you believe what he said & did to be true regarding his contract, why don't you believe what he said & did regarding needing a break (see quote below)?  I appreciate your sentiments and I too don't like that he left.  I would have loved to see him in net for the B's this year.  But I choose to respect the man at his word, and respect his entire playing history, enough to not call him a liar, a nut, a whacko, etc...  

From the earliest age I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a hockey player. I’ve been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to ac…complish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F’s.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

If you believe what he said & did to be true regarding his contract, why don't you believe what he said & did regarding needing a break (see quote below)?  I appreciate your sentiments and I too don't like that he left.  I would have loved to see him in net for the B's this year.  But I choose to respect the man at his word, and respect his entire playing history, enough to not call him a liar, a nut, a whacko, etc...  

From the earliest age I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a hockey player. I’ve been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to ac…complish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F’s.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

[/QUOTE]

Probably not a single NHL player that doesn't have to balance friends, family and other interest with a very demanding (and very short) career.  I'm sure it's tough for all of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Then why not retire?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Probably not a single NHL player that doesn't have to balance friends, family and other interest with a very demanding (and very short) career.  I'm sure it's tough for all of them.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.  Most choose their career.  Timmy didn't in this instance, and I don't fault him for that choice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Then why not retire?

Good question.  One that only TT can answer.  Is the entire situation odd?  Most definitely.  But does it deserve disrespect from Bruins fans and media at this point?  I contend that it doesn't and that he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

I have strong dislike for comrade timmy for all the reasons listed here.

Is anyone else not surprised that a timmy apologist used a homophobic reference?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Then why not retire?

Good question.  One that only TT can answer.  Is the entire situation odd?  Most definitely.  But does it deserve disrespect from Bruins fans and media at this point?  I contend that it doesn't and that he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I dont think he should be. That's where you and I will have to just 'agree to disagree'. Which is fine, but dont for a second question how much of a fan i am or how much i love the Bruins because of how I feel on this patricular matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.  Some choose their career.  Timmy didn't in this instance, and I don't fault him for that choice.

[/QUOTE]

Mean...c'mon.  I'm not ripping the guy at all, but you're saying that you admire his path of demanding an extra year on the contract, making the committment "100%" to honor that contract, and then walking away leaving the team and his teammates at a disadvantage? 

These are the things professional athletes juggle all the time -- career, family, friends, faith.   The rest of us too.  Most can handle it without breaking a contract, quiting on the team, or going back on their word.

Now, if there were a particular hardship within his family that he suddenly needed to tend to, that's a different thing.  Thomas has not indicated that at all.

I'm open to the variety of opinions on this.  You don't have to rip him or dislike him, but surely you can understand that people don't admire what he did to the Bruins in the end.  I loved the hockey, I hated the bailing on the team.  That makes you sick?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The man had a contract and signed it and didn't oblige it.

RE: This friends family and faith business.

So the issue is he has to dedicate more time to friends family and faith.  

So how does he know with certainty one year exactly is enough time to resolve those issues?

a) If you have had such an issue in your life you know that you can't set a timer on how long it will take to fix.  

b) It's not like he has to do this until the age of 65 like the rest of us have to.

No sympathy from me over the personal problems of a milionaire.  To me he's no different than the other celebreties.  He came from a modest background at one point in time and IMO those roots have been forgotten.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

What if the Bruin's decided that they didn't want to pay TT for the final year of his contract beacause they didn't feel like it? J. Jacobs decide's he would rather put the money towards friends, family & faith, i wonder if TT and his agent would think that would be fine ? TT tells his agent, " i sort of agree with JJ, i've felt like doing that myself, i don't need the money anyway and i'm sure the B's could use it to sign Tuukka". Yeah right, TT would have a lawsuit filed with the NHLPA immediately and would hold a press conference at Chick-fil-a telling the whole world how JJ reneged on the contract that Timmy signed in good faith. Thanks for helping win the B's the Cup Timmy, see ya later.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Love TT for the Cup. Upset with him, for walking out on his final year.

Two different reactions for two different situations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Mean, I think you're the one bringing piolitics and religion into this discussion, which is fine, but now we're talking about two different things.  I think the criticism above has been about the way TT left the Bruins, which I think is very fair grounds for criticism.  You're talk about sharing his belief in God (and calling dez gay, I guess) in your final sentence is something different.

I criticize TT for the way he left the Bruins, and my earlier post was a bit of mocking him for the notion that he would take the year off and then start for the US in the Olympics, which is far-fetched in my opinion.

Leaving to spend time with family, or God, or whatever is fine.  But when you specifically lobby for a final year of a contract and then decide not to honor that agreement, and leave your teammates handicapped with a reduced salary cap, you might be criticized.  No matter  how fantastic your previously hockey play was.

I think you're projecting the notion that criticism of TT is all politically motivated, while at the same time noting that your praise of TT is at least partially motivated by your own personal poltical and religious views.  And when you go public with your personal beliefs, in any profession, you invite feedback, positive and negative.  I would say, don't be so offended by criticism of TT.  It was bound to happen with the way he left regardless of his beliefs.  

[/QUOTE]

Well said Fletcher!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

PERFECT!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

There's not a whole lot of ways to look at this folks.  Thomas didn't renege on anything.  He didn't "break" the contract.  Had he done so, the Bruins would have rightfully sued his azz off.  If they had even a remote shot at winning....this would have ended up in the courts.  The only thing bizarre about this, is that virtually no player enjoying such current success, ever left several million on the table, and headed for the woods.

He didn't work, and he didn't get paid, plus he left a fortune on the table which he'll never, ever be able to earn back.  Doesn't make him Al Capone.

Thomas legally turned his back to the Bruins.  Dozens have done it before, and will do it again.  The Bruins have also turned their backs on deserving warriers.  It seems to be a business of screw and let screw....

I was just as ticked as anyone, but only because of my own "me first attitude".  I didn't give a hoot about him, just my Bruins, and whether Rask could do as well.  I know jack for sure about Tim Thomas, and some of the things I thought about him as a person and teamate appear to be wrong.

What I do know, is that he did what "he" wanted, and about 99% of the rest of them do what "they" want.  It's just that the other 99% couldn't stand being away from the limlight, and the money.  Worse things than that.

I'm not sticking up for Thomas at all.  Only questioning the logic that's skewering him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I can understand upset.  I can't understand disrespect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

So how does he know with certainty one year exactly is enough time to resolve those issues?

a) If you have had such an issue in your life you know that you can't set a timer on how long it will take to fix.  

b) It's not like he has to do this until the age of 65 like the rest of us have to.

No sympathy from me over the personal problems of a milionaire.  To me he's no different than the other celebreties.  He came from a modest background at one point in time and IMO those roots have been forgotten.

agree with this 100%......can we all stop fighting over this yahoo now?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to schlich's comment:

I have strong dislike for comrade timmy for all the reasons listed here.

Is anyone else not surprised that a timmy apologist used a homophobic reference?

Thanks for proving my point about his political and religious beliefs being the reason why people like you disrespect and dislike TT.  I already clarified my statement, if you can't understand what was written, then that is your problem.  I find it interesting that many of you jumped to a homophobic conclusion , rather than that of a religious statement.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

He ended his statement with:

What does this portend for the future?

We’ll see….God’s will be done.

TT

Because someone is a millionaire, we shouldn't sympathize?  Money does not mean that personal problems go away.  That's some kind of reasoning there.  Some might say that by leaving millions on the table shows that he hasn't forgotten his roots.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Wow, after all of the intelligent debate points everyone has put forth, you pull that quote out to pour gas over the fire.

How many people here have already said that it has nothing to do with that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

What if the Bruin's decided that they didn't want to pay TT for the final year of his contract beacause they didn't feel like it? J. Jacobs decide's he would rather put the money towards friends, family & faith, i wonder if TT and his agent would think that would be fine ? TT tells his agent, " i sort of agree with JJ, i've felt like doing that myself, i don't need the money anyway and i'm sure the B's could use it to sign Tuukka". Yeah right, TT would have a lawsuit filed with the NHLPA immediately and would hold a press conference at Chick-fil-a telling the whole world how JJ reneged on the contract that Timmy signed in good faith. Thanks for helping win the B's the Cup Timmy, see ya later.  

Another example of his political & religious beliefs being held against him.  As far as your other hypothetical babble, child please!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

There's not a whole lot of ways to look at this folks.  Thomas didn't renege on anything.  He didn't "break" the contract.  Had he done so, the Bruins would have rightfully sued his azz off.  If they had even a remote shot at winning....this would have ended up in the courts.  The only thing bizarre about this, is that virtually no player enjoying such current success, ever left several million on the table, and headed for the woods.

He didn't work, and he didn't get paid, plus he left a fortune on the table which he'll never, ever be able to earn back.  Doesn't make him Al Capone.

Thomas legally turned his back to the Bruins.  Dozens have done it before, and will do it again.  The Bruins have also turned their backs on deserving warriers.  It seems to be a business of screw and let screw....

I was just as ticked as anyone, but only because of my own "me first attitude".  I didn't give a hoot about him, just my Bruins, and whether Rask could do as well.  I know jack for sure about Tim Thomas, and some of the things I thought about him as a person and teamate appear to be wrong.

What I do know, is that he did what "he" wanted, and about 99% of the rest of them do what "they" want.  It's just that the other 99% couldn't stand being away from the limlight, and the money.  Worse things than that.

I'm not sticking up for Thomas at all.  Only questioning the logic that's skewering him. 

I'm not sure about the information in the first 3 paragraphs, but also feel that we may be reaching closure on this thread, so I don't want to upset that.  The contract was broken in that he didn't play for the final year as stipulated in the contract and agreed to by both sides.  That doesn't make it a legal issue, as you can walk away from a contract, be suspended, and not be paid.  It's breaking the agreement in the contract though, and suffering the consequences.  The bad part is not so much changing your mind or breaking an agreement -- it is leaving your team and teammates handicapped with a lower salary cap than the other 29 teams in the league because of your change of heart.  That was always the issue for me.  Not so much a 'me first' reaction as a 'team first' reaction.  

Also the Bruins cannot actually do this the other way.  They are bound by the contract.  The only option is the buyout, and the only relief is towards the salary cap.  They can only 'turn their backs' on guys once the contract has been satisfied.

I like bigskyes take on it though.  I think that is a final word we can probably all agree on.

Sections
Shortcuts