Timmy Time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: Timmy Time?

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Wow, after all of the intelligent debate points everyone has put forth, you pull that quote out to pour gas over the fire.

How many people here have already said that it has nothing to do with that?

Not sure who or what you are referring to?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

[QUOTE]

Wow, after all of the intelligent debate points everyone has put forth, you pull that quote out to pour gas over the fire.

[/QUOTE]

I think it was closing out with the "God" reference after everyone seemed to agree that we are talking about the hockey and not the religion/politics.  To each his own though.  You can certainly note the God references if you'd like.  For TT, they are clearly a part of this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it was closing out with the "God" reference after everyone seemed to agree that we are talking about the hockey and not the religion/politics.  To each his own though.  You can certainly note the God references if you'd like.  For TT, they are clearly a part of this.

[/QUOTE]

This. But it seems that there is one constant person in this discussion who keeps bringing up politics and religion to ruin, an otherwise, fairly intelligent back and forth of opinions between bruins fans...and its not Tim Thomas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This. But it seems that there is one constant person in this discussion who keeps bringing up politics and religion to ruin, an otherwise, fairly intelligent back and forth of opinions between bruins fans...and its not Tim Thomas.

[/QUOTE]

Davey I introduce you to MeanE!

I always considered myself one of TT's biggest supporters on this board & the regulars in here can attest to that. Even though I think there's more to TT's story then he's shared. However, he mentions the 3 F's. Friends- What about his friends on the Bruins? Faith- What about the faith he has as a man to obligate his contract in full & not handcuff the ONLY organization to give him a chance to prove he was good enough to play in the NHL? Family- What about his Bruins family? You don't turn your back on family & leave them hanging. 

So, until I see more specific's as to why? Thank You Timmy for your services, you were an amazing goaltender who (this is for you Dez) HELPED the B's become champions. But, I'm totally disappointed in your decision. I'm extremely disappointed how you made your political views & religious views more important than your teammates & organization that helped make you famous. I'm extemely disappointed how you couldn't be satisified with that. You had to become infamous! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's not a whole lot of ways to look at this folks.  Thomas didn't renege on anything.  He didn't "break" the contract.  Had he done so, the Bruins would have rightfully sued his azz off.  If they had even a remote shot at winning....this would have ended up in the courts.  The only thing bizarre about this, is that virtually no player enjoying such current success, ever left several million on the table, and headed for the woods.

He didn't work, and he didn't get paid, plus he left a fortune on the table which he'll never, ever be able to earn back.  Doesn't make him Al Capone.

Thomas legally turned his back to the Bruins.  Dozens have done it before, and will do it again.  The Bruins have also turned their backs on deserving warriers.  It seems to be a business of screw and let screw....

I was just as ticked as anyone, but only because of my own "me first attitude".  I didn't give a hoot about him, just my Bruins, and whether Rask could do as well.  I know jack for sure about Tim Thomas, and some of the things I thought about him as a person and teamate appear to be wrong.

What I do know, is that he did what "he" wanted, and about 99% of the rest of them do what "they" want.  It's just that the other 99% couldn't stand being away from the limlight, and the money.  Worse things than that.

I'm not sticking up for Thomas at all.  Only questioning the logic that's skewering him. 

I'm not sure about the information in the first 3 paragraphs, but also feel that we may be reaching closure on this thread, so I don't want to upset that.  The contract was broken in that he didn't play for the final year as stipulated in the contract and agreed to by both sides.  That doesn't make it a legal issue, as you can walk away from a contract, be suspended, and not be paid.  It's breaking the agreement in the contract though, and suffering the consequences.  The bad part is not so much changing your mind or breaking an agreement -- it is leaving your team and teammates handicapped with a lower salary cap than the other 29 teams in the league because of your change of heart.  That was always the issue for me.  Not so much a 'me first' reaction as a 'team first' reaction.  

Also the Bruins cannot actually do this the other way.  They are bound by the contract.  The only option is the buyout, and the only relief is towards the salary cap.  They can only 'turn their backs' on guys once the contract has been satisfied.

I like bigskyes take on it though.  I think that is a final word we can probably all agree on.

[/QUOTE]

A contract is a legal document.  If that document is breached as you suggest, the B's would have had several options to force Thomas to play, or else sue, big time.  The fine print gave TT the opportunity, and both sides live and die by those little caveats.

Had Thomas retired, there wouldn't have been nearly as much venom, and many would abandon the "contract" argument.  Can't have it both ways.

If "handicapping your team mates" is indeed the bigger issue, it happens in varing degrees all the time.

Not arguing Fletch, just pointing out that darn few of these people give a hoot about the brand.  Appears Horton kinda blindsided the team too.  Since neither are illegal, I don't see that as more positive.  Thomas decides he doesn't want to play right now.  Horton does, he's just made the concious decision, he doesn't want to play for the Bruins.

We all usually frown on those who stand us up.  My point is merely that TT is just one of many.  Certainly no worse, because he didn't spurn us, for another.

And yeah, I'm ready to move on.  Maybe he did us a favour.  Maybe one more year of TT, and Rask would have wanted out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really guys, is it that hard to figure out that I was answering the question So how does he know with certainty one year exactly is enough time to resolve those issues?

I quoted him because he says "we'll see" about his future in his "statement" on FB, it doesn't say exactly one year.  But because that statement had God in it, your panties are in a bunch, but there is no bias towards Timmy's political and religious views.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

In response to schlich's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have strong dislike for comrade timmy for all the reasons listed here.

Is anyone else not surprised that a timmy apologist used a homophobic reference?

Thanks for proving my point about his political and religious beliefs being the reason why people like you disrespect and dislike TT.  I already clarified my statement, if you can't understand what was written, then that is your problem.  I find it interesting that many of you jumped to a homophobic conclusion , rather than that of a religious statement.  

[/QUOTE]

I understood your reasoning/rationalizing.  I just didn't buy it.  Dez has never struck me as a human worshiper.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really guys, is it that hard to figure out that I was answering the question So how does he know with certainty one year exactly is enough time to resolve those issues?

I quoted him because he says "we'll see" about his future in his "statement" on FB, it doesn't say exactly one year.  But because that statement had God in it, your panties are in a bunch, but there is no bias towards Timmy's political and religious views.

[/QUOTE]

Again, you couldnt be further off base.  I was raised a practicing catholic and went to catholic school from Kindergarten on, so I have no issue with his religious background. At this point I dont know how else to say it has nothing to do with his religious or political beliefs.  You have brought those two things to most of your arguments you presented here.  Not me.

I liked Tim Thomas.

I didnt like how he left the team.

Other than that, i truly dont know what else to say.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Is anyone else not surprised that a timmy apologist used a homophobic reference?

Thanks for proving my point about his political and religious beliefs being the reason why people like you disrespect and dislike TT.  I already clarified my statement, if you can't understand what was written, then that is your problem.  I find it interesting that many of you jumped to a homophobic conclusion , rather than that of a religious statement.  

[/QUOTE]

I understood your reasoning/rationalizing.  I just didn't buy it.  Dez has never struck me as a human worshiper.

[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly too lazy to commit to worshipping anything. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

[QUOTE]

What if the Bruin's decided that they didn't want to pay TT for the final year of his contract beacause they didn't feel like it? J. Jacobs decide's he would rather put the money towards friends, family & faith, i wonder if TT and his agent would think that would be fine ? TT tells his agent, " i sort of agree with JJ, i've felt like doing that myself, i don't need the money anyway and i'm sure the B's could use it to sign Tuukka". Yeah right, TT would have a lawsuit filed with the NHLPA immediately and would hold a press conference at Chick-fil-a telling the whole world how JJ reneged on the contract that Timmy signed in good faith. Thanks for helping win the B's the Cup Timmy, see ya later.  

Another example of his political & religious beliefs being held against him.  As far as your other hypothetical babble, child please!

[/QUOTE]

Hey MeanE, it seems some posters don't have the same level of respect as you regarding TT's departure from the B's. I have no problem with you stating your respect of TT, i just happen to not have that same view. I don't know why you have to resort to name calling ( azzhat,child) when people don't agree with you. You seem to have had no problem calling Joe Thornton a cancer without any firsthand knowledge but seem offended when some posters don't show respect to TT. Get off your high horse. TT played well for the B's, granted a Conn Smythe trophy winner, but i have a problem with the way he left, you don't, no prob.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

just my opinion, but: bad guy, bad teammate, i hope he never gets an opportunity to play hockey again. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

just my opinion, but: bad guy, bad teammate, i hope he never gets an opportunity to play hockey again. 

I'm actually looking forward to the first time Rask and the Bruins get to face him in a game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm actually looking forward to the first time Rask and the Bruins get to face him in a game.

[/QUOTE]

i don't have that desire for revenge like i do with some players that leave down. I couldn't wait to see Z shut down Kessel, but Thomas, I just don't want to think about him again. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hey MeanE, it seems some posters don't have the same level of respect as you regarding TT's departure from the B's. I have no problem with you stating your respect of TT, i just happen to not have that same view. I don't know why you have to resort to name calling ( azzhat,child) when people don't agree with you. You seem to have had no problem calling Joe Thornton a cancer without any firsthand knowledge but seem offended when some posters don't show respect to TT. Get off your high horse. TT played well for the B's, granted a Conn Smythe trophy winner, but i have a problem with the way he left, you don't, no prob.

[/QUOTE]

Get off your high horse?  That's sort of name calling, is it not?  Again, I don't care if you have the same view as me and my opinion of "Bruins" fans that disrespect Timmy for his political & religious views, like you, is that you are an azzhat.  In terms of Thornton, although I was not in the Boston Bruins locker room, as I said, working in the organiazation,  I was friendly with coaches, trainers, and management that were in that locker room.  So depending on what you classify as firsthand, I think I had a wee bit more info than you might believe. If you just had a problem with the way he left then why do you have to bring chik-a-fila into your argument?  In terms of child please, you must not follow ocho cinco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEm5YUKsilw

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

For the love of God, let this thread die...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[/QUOTE]

Get off your high horse?  That's sort of name calling, is it not?  Again, I don't care if you have the same view as me and my opinion of "Bruins" fans that disrespect Timmy for his political & religious views, like you, is that you are an azzhat.  In terms of Thornton, although I was not in the Boston Bruins locker room, as I said, working in the organiazation,  I was friendly with coaches, trainers, and management that were in that locker room.  So depending on what you classify as firsthand, I think I had a wee bit more info than you might believe. If you just had a problem with the way he left then why do you have to bring chik-a-fila into your argument?  In terms of child please, you must not follow ocho cinco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEm5YUKsilw

[/QUOTE]

Just another azzhat i have no respect for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Follow along there ol' doubting one.  Dez stated to me: ...Feel free to blindly worship him all you like....

In reponse I stated: Unlike you Dez, I don't worship men, I worship my God.

Meaning that I believe that Dez worships other hockey players, (like he insinuated that I worship TT), and that I don't worship athletes or anyone else besides my God.  Duh

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We agree on something. It's a start. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We agree on something. It's a start. :)

[/QUOTE]

True dat!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Completely off topic, anyone else getting the banner ads for the Blackhawks Stanley Cup Champions gear, here on bdc?  It is really chapping my azz to see it constantly!

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Completely off topic, anyone else getting the banner ads for the Blackhawks Stanley Cup Champions gear, here on bdc?  It is really chapping my azz to see it constantly!

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

Finally, there is something in this thread that EVERYONE should be able to agree on!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Puff puff, pray?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

[QUOTE]

Puff puff, pray?

[/QUOTE]

The first 2 steps are easy enough but then I tend to wander. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Love TT for the Cup. Upset with him, for walking out on his final year.

Two different reactions for two different situations.

PERFECT!!!![/QUOTE]

You still sticking up for Timmah!? Nite yah booger LOL!

"For the love of God, let this thread die..."

No Fletch, I want this thread to turn into another outdoor-woodburning-stove-chiminea-thread like last summer...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wow.  What a thread.  Sorry, Fletch, but after fighting my way through it....

I still say Thomas did nothing wrong for a variety of reasons.  From the Bruins' perspective, maybe the biggest one is that you can't force an elite athlete to be an elite athlete.  Imagine suing a guy who says he needs a break and forcing him to play goal.  Two weeks of him ole-ing pucks would convince you what a bad idea that is.  He could have said "I retire" and then, on Friday, called PC and said "I want to un-retire".  Nothing would be any different than it is now.  The Bruins would still have had to carry his cap hit because he's a 35+ signee.  In fact, the one thing they couldn't have done was trade him to avoid the cap hit.  In that sense, he did them a favour.  They'd also suddenly be faced with signing Rask and Thomas's $5M hit on the books in a declining Cap year.  The more I think about how much worse this could have been, the more I think Thomas did nothing wrong.

There's something slightly spurious about the "The team couldn't do that..." argument.  They do it all the time.  You have to make the comparison equal.  Thomas said he wasn't going to play for the Bruins and, as a result, the Bruins kept all of the $3.5M due to Thomas if he played.  The Lightning told Lecavalier he wasn't going to play for them, but Vinny only got to keep 2/3 of the money he was to have earned playing for them.  It's actually worse, but because the player gets paid some obscene amount, we cut the teams a break.  It used to be even worse for guys like Redden and Gomez and Nylander - players who signed the deals they were offered and were then told they weren't living up to them so they were going to go play in the AHL.  And we cut the teams some slack there too because the player gets his cake and being sent to the minors is a part of being a pro athlete.  Heck, it's even explicitly written into the SPC that the team can terminate a contract for a variety of reasons.  So there are lots of ways for a team to walk away from a player because it's in their best interests.  We actually expect it of the teams because we want them to jettison dead wood and constantly improve.

My final thought comes back to that moment in time.  The Bruins had an RFA Rask to deal with, and a back-diving contract for Thomas - signs that they were preparing to move on even though Thomas was a year removed from a Vezina and Conn Smythe.  If they shipped Thomas to the Islanders for a pick or a player, and then Thomas chooses to bail, how do we feel?  If he says "I didn't sign to play for the Islanders.  I wanted to remain in Boston and I feel like I've been betrayed"?  Bad PC?  The guy walked away.  It is the nature of the job that you can't make someone do it, so there was nothing the Bruins could do except ensure that he didn't play for anyone else while under contract to them.  I never heard boo that he was seen in public, let alone at a rink.  Good guy, dink, whatever - if he felt he had to walk, I'm glad he walked.

Are you not entertained?!?!