Timmy Time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: Timmy Time?

Nice Job Book.

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Three teams have reached out to Tim Thomas camp so far...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Any guesses who?
    Philly?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Wow.  What a thread.  Sorry, Fletch, but after fighting my way through it....

I still say Thomas did nothing wrong for a variety of reasons.  From the Bruins' perspective, maybe the biggest one is that you can't force an elite athlete to be an elite athlete.  Imagine suing a guy who says he needs a break and forcing him to play goal.  Two weeks of him ole-ing pucks would convince you what a bad idea that is.  He could have said "I retire" and then, on Friday, called PC and said "I want to un-retire".  Nothing would be any different than it is now.  The Bruins would still have had to carry his cap hit because he's a 35+ signee.  In fact, the one thing they couldn't have done was trade him to avoid the cap hit.  In that sense, he did them a favour.  They'd also suddenly be faced with signing Rask and Thomas's $5M hit on the books in a declining Cap year.  The more I think about how much worse this could have been, the more I think Thomas did nothing wrong.

There's something slightly spurious about the "The team couldn't do that..." argument.  They do it all the time.  You have to make the comparison equal.  Thomas said he wasn't going to play for the Bruins and, as a result, the Bruins kept all of the $3.5M due to Thomas if he played.  The Lightning told Lecavalier he wasn't going to play for them, but Vinny only got to keep 2/3 of the money he was to have earned playing for them.  It's actually worse, but because the player gets paid some obscene amount, we cut the teams a break.  It used to be even worse for guys like Redden and Gomez and Nylander - players who signed the deals they were offered and were then told they weren't living up to them so they were going to go play in the AHL.  And we cut the teams some slack there too because the player gets his cake and being sent to the minors is a part of being a pro athlete.  Heck, it's even explicitly written into the SPC that the team can terminate a contract for a variety of reasons.  So there are lots of ways for a team to walk away from a player because it's in their best interests.  We actually expect it of the teams because we want them to jettison dead wood and constantly improve.

My final thought comes back to that moment in time.  The Bruins had an RFA Rask to deal with, and a back-diving contract for Thomas - signs that they were preparing to move on even though Thomas was a year removed from a Vezina and Conn Smythe.  If they shipped Thomas to the Islanders for a pick or a player, and then Thomas chooses to bail, how do we feel?  If he says "I didn't sign to play for the Islanders.  I wanted to remain in Boston and I feel like I've been betrayed"?  Bad PC?  The guy walked away.  It is the nature of the job that you can't make someone do it, so there was nothing the Bruins could do except ensure that he didn't play for anyone else while under contract to them.  I never heard boo that he was seen in public, let alone at a rink.  Good guy, dink, whatever - if he felt he had to walk, I'm glad he walked.

Are you not entertained?!?!

I see you provided some player examples but I don't see any who had signed a 35+ deal like TT. Apples to oranges in my opinion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Apples to oranges in my opinion." 

Oh.  Well then go #^(&  yourself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

"Apples to oranges in my opinion." 

Oh.  Well then go #^(&  yourself.

That's probably a fair reaction. Well played Sir.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Any guesses who?Philly?

Comcast in Philly is saying so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

My recollection was that TT and the Bruins were well aware of the 35+ contract rules. Knowing this, PC was still willing to agree to give TT the security of the extra years he has as looking for. I remember the raised eyebrows throughout the hockey world. Most pundits and fans alike were surprised at the faith PC was showing in Thomas. Like everyone, I applaud Thomas for how well he performed. He was unquestionably top notch. Now people bring up the retirement angle all the time. I get that the cap hit would've been the same but that's where the parallels end for me. I could've readily accepted it if Thomas just said, "I can't do it anymore. I have to pack it in " but he instead has decided he needed to rest for a year and do some thinking. Weak sauce. I'm sure it was just coincidence that his NMC was about to expire in days time. Super Ego comes in to ruin the day!

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I agree with Bookboy here that Thomas really did nothing wrong.  After 25 years of closely following all 4 major pro sports, I've seen a lot of big contracts go bad.  As a fan, the most you can ask of a  player is that they put forth their best effort to justify whatever they are being paid.  And if for whatever reason they can't perform to the level they are being paid, then step away.

Thomas was part of the organization for over 10 years, I don't recall his effort ever being questioned, nor do i remember seeing even a hint that he was a bad teammate.  I hate politics, and like seeing both sides called out for the BS they pull.  Unfortunately with the media in this state that only goes one way.

I don't know his reasons for not playing this season, but I do know that a good percentage of the league didn't perform to the level expecteded of them when they signed their contract.  The assumption has been that he held out to screw the Bruins, but he notified them of his intentions as soon as the season ended.  Based on his body of work with the team, I give him the benefit of the doubt. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Interesting how you've managed to equate a player who underperforms to one who refused to show up at all. 

-Gerry Dee

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Interesting how you've managed to equate a player who underperforms to one who refused to show up at all. 

-Gerry Dee

So, if you were to ask all the players traded, bought out or on the trade block or otherwise underperformed what went wrong, is it unreasonable to think a lot of these issues could have been identified and addressed before the season started?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BSXIII's comment:

[QUOTE]

-Gerry Dee

So, if you were to ask all the players traded, bought out or on the trade block or otherwise underperformed what went wrong, is it unreasonable to think a lot of these issues could have been identified and addressed before the season started?

[/QUOTE]

How is that the least bit relevant? All of the underperformers showed up and tried to play because they had contracts. Players under contract have particular time frames in which they are expected to perform. It's not for them to decide when they feel up to it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

-Gerry Dee

[/QUOTE]

How is that the least bit relevant? All of the underperformers showed up and tried to play because they had contracts. Players under contract have particular time frames in which they are expected to perform. It's not for them to decide when they feel up to it. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get to far off topic here.  My point is that I don't have a problem with Thomas taking a year off.  Had he "quit" midseason, yea I would have a problem with that.  Adjustments are made at the end of every year and he gave them plenty of notice to plan for the upcoming season.

If a player for whatever reason feels they can't put forth the effort to live up to their paycheck, I would rather they go that route than just show up and go through the motions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

-Gerry Dee

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get to far off topic here.  My point is that I don't have a problem with Thomas taking a year off.  Had he "quit" midseason, yea I would have a problem with that.  Adjustments are made at the end of every year and he gave them plenty of notice to plan for the upcoming season.

If a player for whatever reason feels they can't put forth the effort to live up to their paycheck, I would rather they go that route than just show up and go through the motions.

[/QUOTE]

It made no difference as Thomas put them in a position where they were unable to replace the cap hit. He was on the cap whether he showed up or not. He was aware of the cap rules when he asked PC for the extra years on his contract. He did the Bruins no favours by telling them up front that he was screwing them. The screwing still took place. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I hope Thomas signs an NHL contract and is scary good (unlikely).  Just hope it is in the west and he regularly shuts down Vancouver. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

He said he wanted to take 1 year off.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426747

He's going to Philly with Ference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

I hope Thomas signs an NHL contract and is scary good (unlikely).  Just hope it is in the west and he regularly shuts down Vancouver. 

I truly wish him well and hope we can see him play against the Bruins in the Finals. That would be epic. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Well, it sure doesn't look like GM's are falling over each other looking to sign TT, the Flyers story was the only thing I saw confirmed and that was last week.

I know I saw a TSN or Hockey News poll that asked if you were a GM would you sign TT; no, yes - as a backup and yes - as a starter and fwiw I was surprised to see very high number against signging high and relatively very few who would hire him as a starter.

I wonder what's up with TT?  Bargaining hard?  Some GM making cap room for him out there?  Or is he damaged goods because of sitting out a year?  KHL bound?  At least with the KHL there won't be any white house issues...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

TT still has some tread left on the tires, don't count him out.  Fact is, he would be an improvement and starter for about half the teams in the NHL.   I'm surprised that Toronto doesn't at least talk with him the possiblities.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

love TT for what he did for the bruins.  Didnt like the weird whitehouse stuff.  Hope he lands in the nhl and plays awesome TT hockey.  If the bulin wall locked up a deal someone will take TT.  Im kinda surprised the oilers didnt.  maybe he signs with calgary on a one year deal and deal him for a pick at the deadline.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

How is Thomas not picked up yet? Like TB. STL, CGY, or even Wsh all those teams could use this guy. People are doubting that he can return and play, but we (Boston Fans) know this guy thrives on being the underdog. I have been a TT fan since he was in Prov and still to this day with all the media fake crap that happen to him. I would take TT in a B's uniform even till the age of 45. The guy is a stud in net and in my eyes the best goalie ever to be in a B's uniform. Its just to bad he made into the league late because he would of broken a lot of records.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to G4ck5's comment:

How is Thomas not picked up yet? Like TB. STL, CGY, or even Wsh all those teams could use this guy. People are doubting that he can return and play, but we (Boston Fans) know this guy thrives on being the underdog. I have been a TT fan since he was in Prov and still to this day with all the media fake crap that happen to him. I would take TT in a B's uniform even till the age of 45. The guy is a stud in net and in my eyes the best goalie ever to be in a B's uniform. Its just to bad he made into the league late because he would of broken a lot of records.

Gain some perspective please.  He wouldn't be who he is if he made it into the league earlier.  And look at it from a neutral position, you KNOW he didn't honor his previous contract.  What if you had to hire a plumber and you knew he walked off his previous job.  You - you would hire him, but can you understand that someone else would be hesitant?  

Every goaler I have talked to have said the same thing, the year off will hurt him.  The question is, how much?  

And on top of this, he's ancient.  he's near 4000 years old.  That's a lot.

Buyer beware on this one, not surprising he is stil on the market.  He's a gamble.  And how much money does he want?

Sections
Shortcuts