To Claude Julien: Loosen the chains on Bergeron...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: To Claude Julien: Loosen the chains on Bergeron...

I agree with you in that Bergeron should be contributing way more on offense for the B's.. Without a doubt he should be a consistent 30 goal scorer in the NHL.. However, I was reading a recent interview with  Bergeron ...stats don't really matter to him as long as the team wins and if he can win faceoffs and check the life out of an opposing top line centre he is just as happy.. TEAM player to the hilt!! Not surprised!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hopefully Marchand will provide spark for Bergeron's line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: To Claude Julien: Loosen the chains on Bergeron...:
    [QUOTE]I agree with you in that Bergeron should be contributing way more on offense for the B's.. Without a doubt he should be a consistent 30 goal scorer in the NHL.. However, I was reading a recent interview with  Bergeron ...stats don't really matter to him as long as the team wins and if he can win faceoffs and check the life out of an opposing top line centre he is just as happy.. TEAM player to the hilt!! Not surprised!
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

I agree with you and have heard Bergeron claim such numerous times. However, his humbleness for the game is putting his potential on a bit of a plateau. I truly believe he can score at will in an more open offensive scheme. His character is what makes him my favorite sports athlete, so i may be a bit bias on these boards at times with him. Great hockey player, even better person.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To Claude Julien: Loosen the chains on Bergeron... : I agree with you and have heard Bergeron claim such numerous times. However, his humbleness for the game is putting his potential on a bit of a plateau. I truly believe he can score at will in an more open offensive scheme. His character is what makes him my favorite sports athlete, so i may be a bit bias on these boards at times with him. Great hockey player, even better person.
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

Imagine if he played on a line with Crosby like he did in 2005? They were magic.. Bergeron was MVP of the whole tournament that had Ovechkin, Crosby, Getzlaff etc..

His first 2 years in Boston the offense minded Bergeron was racking up 70 pt seasons and I actually thought 100 pts seasons were not out of the question..or close!! But that was another time and another coach..Then the HIT! Setbacks! now with the defensive minded  Julien I don't know if he will reach those levels.. I would love to see it...He does play in all situations... What I am glad to see is that the Bruins as an organization realize his value to the team and pay him as such... Money well spent I say!!  Class act all the way!! no one can knock this guy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To Claude Julien: Loosen the chains on Bergeron... : Imagine if he played on a line with Crosby like he did in 2005? They were magic.. Bergeron was MVP of the whole tournament that had Ovechkin, Crosby, Getzlaff etc.. His first 2 years in Boston the offense minded Bergeron was racking up 70 pt seasons and I actually thought 100 pts seasons were not out of the question..or close!! But that was another time and another coach..Then the HIT! Setbacks! now with the defensive minded  Julien I don't know if he will reach those levels.. I would love to see it...He does play in all situations... What I am glad to see is that the Bruins as an organization realize his value to the team and pay him as such... Money well spent I say!!  Class act all the way!! no one can knock this guy!!
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

I have said the same thing. People just dont realize how good of a player he is. He can be a 75pt guy at the very least...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wboi92287. Show wboi92287's posts

well I think in the near future they will put him on a line with more offensive minded players, I heard that they promised him that when they offered him an extension. Dude does have the talent to score 30 goals a game, its this stupid coaching scheme and the fact that the only consistent winger on his line is recchi who is here for leadership capabilities, not offensive talent

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Marchand is a great player to go with Bergeron. I loved watching last night game

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]well I think in the near future they will put him on a line with more offensive minded players, I heard that they promised him that when they offered him an extension. Dude does have the talent to score 30 goals a game, its this stupid coaching scheme and the fact that the only consistent winger on his line is recchi who is here for leadership capabilities, not offensive talent
    Posted by wboi92287[/QUOTE]

Well, if he keeps getting put with 3rd-tier talent he will never be a top player in the NHL. He's not an "elite", meaning he cannot take over a game by himself but he can be a great player and brings out the talents of the good players.

Claude is sucking the life out of this young team...sad to see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Pre-Julien days. Watch the Dave Lewis B's....You can go after Julien all you want, but the "system" is working. The team is in 1st (or ahead with games in hand). his 4th line may be the best of the bunch over the last several games. Could Bergeron, Savard, Krecji be better offensively in another system? Yes. And the team's defense and goaltending would suffer. So do you want a team that can win 3-2 or a team that loses 5-4....I can't fault Julien's way. As I've said elsewhere, it's the power play that can be dramatically changed in the B's favor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]Pre-Julien days. Watch the Dave Lewis B's....You can go after Julien all you want, but the "system" is working. The team is in 1st (or ahead with games in hand). his 4th line may be the best of the bunch over the last several games. Could Bergeron, Savard, Krecji be better offensively in another system? Yes. And the team's defense and goaltending would suffer. So do you want a team that can win 3-2 or a team that loses 5-4....I can't fault Julien's way. As I've said elsewhere, it's the power play that can be dramatically changed in the B's favor.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Just 2 teams (DET, NJ) in the last 12 years have won the Stanley Cup whose defense ranked in the top 5. PITT - 17th, CAR - 19th....just saying. You don't have to sacrifice the obvious talent you have just to be the best "defensive" team. In the playoffs it's all about the the "hott" goaltender, it's been proven time and time again. Cam Ward stood on his head as did Fleury respectively. The team defense on those two Cup-winning teams were dreadful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

xeminus, then to go by that thinking, it's all about preparing Thomas for the playoffs and hoping he is stonewall when it counts. Then there is no system, but how do you even get there if you don't make the playoffs because like I said, the team starts playing run-and-gun and then you truly sacrifice wins, not goals. It's a two-way street.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]xeminus, then to go by that thinking, it's all about preparing Thomas for the playoffs and hoping he is stonewall when it counts. Then there is no system, but how do you even get there if you don't make the playoffs because like I said, the team starts playing run-and-gun and then you truly sacrifice wins, not goals. It's a two-way street.

No need to become the Washington Capitals. But this team has to be more of a hybrid, they have the talent to be good at both ends. I am just saying that Claude has to let his skilled players play to their strengths at the offensive side of the ice. Not implying to re-write the play-book.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i agree with skilled players going to their strengths. My suggestion was that Savard start all PP opportunities, dump the 2 d-men on the PP and put a Bergeron possibly at one of the points during the PP. Stick Wheeler and Ryder in front that net for rebounds and tips.

Also don't be afraid to even have three centers during a stretch on the man-advantage. It would be fricken scary for opponents to see Bergeron, Krecji and Savard all slithering around waiting to make pin-point passes to an open guy. You can do things that don't necessarily have to alter the 5-on-5 part of the game. In a game where the team needs a goal or 2, go to 3 lines if one is not pulling its weight (which they already did, and won that game).

Lastly, Chara should enter the offensive zone and carry that puck, people tend to just back away from him, and that just opens it up for all the forwards...

One more thing...for all the crying to get Wideman out of town, that plus the Hunwick salary cut has left the B's without a true puck-carrying d-man. Horton has been a bust overall, and I'll take the Wideman of 2 seasons ago and the one in the playoffs who was making plays constantly. There is no Wideman type and it hurts the B's from an offensive standpoint. Maybe it was time for Wideman to go, but not having an adequate replacement is totally on Chiarelli.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]i agree with skilled players going to their strengths. My suggestion was that Savard start all PP opportunities, dump the 2 d-men on the PP and put a Bergeron possibly at one of the points during the PP. Stick Wheeler and Ryder in front that net for rebounds and tips. Also don't be afraid to even have three centers during a stretch on the man-advantage. It would be fricken scary for opponents to see Bergeron, Krecji and Savard all slithering around waiting to make pin-point passes to an open guy. You can do things that don't necessarily have to alter the 5-on-5 part of the game. In a game where the team needs a goal or 2, go to 3 lines if one is not pulling its weight (which they already did, and won that game). Lastly, Chara should enter the offensive zone and carry that puck, people tend to just back away from him, and that just opens it up for all the forwards... One more thing...for all the crying to get Wideman out of town, that plus the Hunwick salary cut has left the B's without a true puck-carrying d-man. Horton has been a bust overall, and I'll take the Wideman of 2 seasons ago and the one in the playoffs who was making plays constantly. There is no Wideman type and it hurts the B's from an offensive standpoint. Maybe it was time for Wideman to go, but not having an adequate replacement is totally on Chiarelli.
    Let's be clear on this danny.Are you suggesting the Bruins would be better if they had Wideman rather than Horton? I was one of the few non-trashers of Wideman last year but I still love the trade.Horton,while in a slump,is still a good player with great upside.Calling him an overall bust is ridiculous.He'll still easily get 30 goals and 40 isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I am suggesting that dezaruchi. I'm saying that Horton has except for about 5 games at the start of the year has been nothing short of a sturm-lapointe fog. I completely disagree with him getting 30 easily, and 40 outside. He doesn't have the touch to do that. He is another Michael Ryder type (who does a better job of doing what he's supposed to be doing than Horton). Horton is doing much like he did last year, becoming a non-factor and for all the upside, at least when Ryder signed with the B's, he scored 30 right away in his 1st season. Horton may be lucky to get 20 at this point. Is he a great player? Where is it? He gets benched in a big game a few games back in the 3rd Period. He looks defeated even though I realize he has an explosive shot (but then so does Ryder). Wheeler is playing better than Horton, something that I wouldn't even deem possible based on Blake's weak start to a NHL career. I'm waiting for the "upside" on Nathan. When is it going to happen? The playoffs?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Wideman strengthened the team's PP, a problem area for this year's team. Has Horton affected the PP the way Wideman did in his time as a B? Nope.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I am suggesting that dezaruchi. I'm saying that Horton has except for about 5 games at the start of the year has been nothing short of a sturm-lapointe fog. I completely disagree with him getting 30 easily, and 40 outside. He doesn't have the touch to do that. He is another Michael Ryder type (who does a better job of doing what he's supposed to be doing than Horton). Horton is doing much like he did last year, becoming a non-factor and for all the upside, at least when Ryder signed with the B's, he scored 30 right away in his 1st season. Horton may be lucky to get 20 at this point. Is he a great player? Where is it? He gets benched in a big game a few games back in the 3rd Period. He looks defeated even though I realize he has an explosive shot (but then so does Ryder). Wheeler is playing better than Horton, something that I wouldn't even deem possible based on Blake's weak start to a NHL career. I'm waiting for the "upside" on Nathan. When is it going to happen? The playoffs?
    So throw out the season's first 5 games and it would seem you're willing to conclude Horton is a bust due to a 31 game stretch in which you likely watched little of,opting instead to read the box scores in the paper.Even when Horton isn't scoring he gives some added toughness(fought kane and phhaneuf).Did wideman add any toughness?The mere fact you're calling out PC for the Wideman-Horton swap causes me to question your insights.I will  pay closer attention to Horton tonight and try to figure out how Wideman could possibly help Boston more.