To go...or not to go: Olympics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

To go...or not to go: Olympics

With recent terrorist attacks and additional threats I am not surprised that many of the NHL players are showing concerns and in some cases having second thoughts.

Claude Julien in particular recently told reporters that they may re-evaluate the situation as they get closer to the date as the recognize the pending and possible dangers at the Olympics.

Now, its obvious that the Olympics is "pride" driven. The chance to represent your native country in an international global event is a once in a life time opportunity. However, the reality of catastrophic events is real and probably certain. 

In my opinion, I would hope the NHL does the right thing and decline the invitation. Too much turmoil in that part of the world especially within the regions closest to the location of the Olympics.

I understand there's an "honor" mentality here in terms of standing up to terrorism and showing no fear. Just dont think it is worth it in this situation. 

I am sorry for not sounding too Patriotic but I am more concerned with with the well-being of the people involved (not just US/CAN).

So, what are your opinions/thoughts on this recent hot topic? Would you go...or would you stay? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: To go...or not to go: Olympics

superj2k10, no trade talk - great.

My opinion, The Olympics, summer and winter, is a waste of time.

It is a money grab for corrupt Olympic Committee members. The only ones that profit are themselves and their flunkies.

Pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I dont think you can let the actions of a few stop events like this.  Its exactly what they want.  I can only hope the security would be that similar of what Canada was like.  I think the olympic village and venue will be fine.  I worry about outside the immediate area as examples and innocent people are targets.  

I obviously hope that they go.  But i do understand why they may change their minds as it gets closer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I already made a comment to a thread about this a couple wks ago. I'm torn as to whether I'd go, or not. I'm praying that the security in the O-village will be at the top of their game. But as Shupe says there's a huge concern outside it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

How worried are athletes from around the world ?

They are telling family members to stay home. The uproar by NBC if sports governing bodies started a buycott or were telling their athletes they have the option to stay home would be a major explosion of lawsuits.

All this "The Olympic perimeter is safe" is a bunch of BS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I already made a thread about this a couple wks ago. I'm torn as to whether I'd go, or not. I'm praying that the security in the O-village will be at the top of their game. 

[/QUOTE]

My bad Neely, did not realize you had a thread on this already. I am torn as well bro, would love to see the boys in action but that fear is far too real.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Personally, I'm tired of the NHL participating in the Olympics.  Can't stand it to be honest.  The novelty has worn off, and I hate the interruption of the season and the compressed schedule that goes along with that.  Can't believe the NHL and the players want to continue doing this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

superj2k10, no trade talk - great.

My opinion, The Olympics, summer and winter, is a waste of time.

It is a money grab for corrupt Olympic Committee members. The only ones that profit are themselves and their flunkies.

Pass.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Don Bruino

It is sad, but true....just like most things world, these events were great at one time, but now have been run down by greedy corporate degenerates

Like this using this skank at the super bowl -

The only reason NHL players are being used to compete, and thereby risking inury, and now even worse (god forbid) is to grab more dollars for the skums who run the networks.

Cultural meltdown du jour

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They are telling family members to stay home. The uproar by NBC if sports governing bodies started a buycott or were telling their athletes they have the option to stay home would be a major explosion of lawsuits.

[/QUOTE]

San, how do you know this?   Im curious bc most security for olympics are so high you see more authority types then athletes and fans to the point its overkill.  I dont see a major security breach happening and you have to think they are well aware of what might happen.  They arent gonna have one guy working nightshift.  Is it bc its in russia?   Should the boston marathon be cancelled bc the US cant stop these types of events happening?   What about the superbowl?   What do think the security is like at that event.  I would say through the roof.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

For good or for bad, and while they may be telling their families to stay away, I can't see many of the competitors themslves avoiding it unless the situation really gets out of control. I asked my partner about this. She got high enough in hockey to get a tryout and be scouted by the national team. I asked her what if she had actually been able to take that next step and have been able to make it (she was always admittedly a long $hot because of the game she plays). She said "they could be dropping mortars right on the ****in' ice and I'd skate around them."

Do they want to keep their families safe? Of course, and they're not stupid so they'll want to mitigate the risk as much as possible. But for athletes at this level thatr drive to succeed trumps an awful; lot, especially for those whose absolute pinacle of their sport is Olympic gold (and that's not the case for most NHLers).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I'm not afraid of the terrorists, but I feel terror when I think of those one cubicle dual (dueling?) Russian toilets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Agreed, pass billge lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to nitch19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally, I'm tired of the NHL participating in the Olympics.  Can't stand it to be honest.  The novelty has worn off, and I hate the interruption of the season and the compressed schedule that goes along with that.  Can't believe the NHL and the players want to continue doing this.

[/QUOTE]

The interruption happens once ever four years...for two weeks.  The compressed schedule just means we get more games per week.

I love it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nitch19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The interruption happens once ever four years...for two weeks.  The compressed schedule just means we get more games per week.

I love it.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Have you had a look at the B's schedule in March NAS? Going off memory here, but I think they have like 4 or 5 sets of back to back in that month. Which means that when the B's go into a tank & possibly lose the conference, or division we can all look forward to the bashers coming in & telling us how the B's suk & won't win a game. Can't match the Detroits, Ducks, Hawks, Blues or Sharks! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Outside of curling I won't be watching the olympics. I wonder if the curling athletes are bringing their families?  Hehe.  I would like the Canada Cup back.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Outside of curling I won't be watching the olympics. I wonder if the curling athletes are bringing their families?  Hehe.  I would like the Canada Cup back.  

[/QUOTE]

Well you'll get the next best thing. The World Cup of Hockey will be back in 2 yrs & every 2 yrs after. I heard a whisper that there's a possibilty that they may hold the World Cup of Hockey outside at a few different venue's. By the sounds of things; this is pretty much the last time the NHL will be shutting down for the Oylmpic's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I hope not because I think it's pretty $hort sighted for the game as a whole. I was reading an article the other day that for the life of me I can't find again. It was about how many people watch Olympic hockey and how the numbers blow anything like a World Cup away. The problem is that the NHL doesn't get a cut. 
    But if you care more about hockey than you do the NHL, thhen the Olympics are the way to go. That article I was reading showed that over a million people in Brazil (Brazil!)watched that gold medal game in 2010. None of those people will watch a WC, but billions of people around the world watch the Olympics, and watching it will help grow it.

And yes, Korea will be a bit of a pain for the NA market. But you know what market it'll be great for? Asia, a place where about 4 billion people live, an awful lot of them in cold climates, and who haven't really been exposed to the game or had it promoted to them.

If you care more about the NHL than hockey, it makes sense for them not to go. But for the good of the sport? I think it's the Olympics all the way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

The Olympics belong to the kids. Security issues are not, I wouldn't go as an NHL player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've always believed the Olympics were for the best of the best.  The amateur thing was sort of a gentleman's agreement so that that rich with chalets in the Alp and the Rockies could compete against one another without having to face the stiff competition of someone actually making a living training to ski or skate or whatever.  I had a huge love/hate relationship with Olympic hockey pre-pro era.  I hated watching the Canadian team come in 7th because all, and I mean all of the quality players were playing professionally somewhere.  The Russians only played in and for Russia.  The European countries had their leagues, but few had made the jump to the NHL and many seemed to be released to play in the Olympics.  The US lost the best players to the NHL and some to the AHL, but the NCAA system meant that there were more guys farther along in their development and not yet professional, so there was a chance that you'd have a year like 1980 where you'd see guys like Broten, Pavelich, Christian, Silk, Ramsay and Morrow all in a transition between dominant College players and their pro lives.

I loved the games the way I love watching the good Western conference teams play now - great hockey sometimes, but I didn't have a real rooting interest.  My family remembered the Canadian gold years before the NHL ate up so many good players.  I wanted to see it.  Bring it on again adn again and again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Agreed! Have you had a look at the B's schedule in March NAS? Going off memory here, but I think they have like 4 or 5 sets of back to back in that month. Which means that when the B's go into a tank & possibly lose the conference, or division we can all look forward to the bashers coming in & telling us how the B's suk & won't win a game. Can't match the Detroits, Ducks, Hawks, Blues or Sharks! 

[/QUOTE]

Do you remember last March's schedule. It was like every other night for the whole month.  It was so bad, they only made it to the Finals. I hate sarcasm. 

And no other team has a compressed schedule too, they all get a break and only the Bruins get the s h o r t end of the stick. Sad.

I agree with NAS, (that hurts saying it) but to get the BEST hockey you will ever find, once every 4 Years, I will take missing the mediocre NHL schedule any day. Because nothing spells competitive hockey like PARITY. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to mxt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Olympics belong to the kids. Security issues are not, I wouldn't go as an NHL player.

[/QUOTE]

Before the NHL started sending their guys, the rest of the world still sent their best.

Tretiak was the Russian goalie for many Olympics.  Why not have the USA and Canada send their best in return?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Condensed NHL schedule, then best versus the best in the Olympics = awesome. If your a fan of hockey what is there not to like about that? If you want to see amateur players that bad there is the WJC's and the Frozen Four. Two awesome tournaments that really don't get the recognition they deserve.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Curling?  Good lord no.  And curling is about as athletic as checkers.  Great drinking sport in Canada along with ice fishing.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

San, how do you know this?   Im curious bc most security for olympics are so high you see more authority types then athletes and fans to the point its overkill.  I dont see a major security breach happening and you have to think they are well aware of what might happen.  They arent gonna have one guy working nightshift.  Is it bc its in russia?   Should the boston marathon be cancelled bc the US cant stop these types of events happening?   What about the superbowl?   What do think the security is like at that event.  I would say through the roof.  

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to answer your question to someone else..

But heard on the news that they were worried about the perimeter already being breached in relation to the "black widows".

Here is one news article I found about it when searching quickly:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/21/22382939-sochi-olympics-terrorism-threat-two-more-black-widow-suspects-identified

Darn the link doesnt work when I posted... no clue why.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to doodles444s' comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to answer your question to someone else..

But heard on the news that they were worried about the perimeter already being breached in relation to the "black widows".

Here is one news article I found about it when searching quickly:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/21/22382939-sochi-olympics-terrorism-threat-two-more-black-widow-suspects-identified

Darn the link doesnt work when I posted... no clue why.

[/QUOTE]

Well they have a week to figure it out.  Haha.  If ypu are cutting and pasting from an ipad i still havent figured out how it works.  

Lets hope everything goes smooth.  

They should probably put team USA in a bunker though.  

Sections
Shortcuts