To go...or not to go: Olympics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: To go...or not to go: Olympics

I think the athetlets will all go and will all be fine, but I sure wouldn't want to have my family there.  I bet something will happen (the Chechnyans have had 4+ years to plan), but I bet they won't be able to disrupt things in a major way.  Russia knows their reputation rests on this.  Security will be over the top.

Olympic hockey is very far from perfect, but I think the system they have now is better than what they've had in the past.  If you want to watch amateur hockey, you've got a ton of options.  If you want to watch the best players in the world, playing for their country, in a tournament against each other, you have pretty much one option.  This is it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It used to be the best athletes in the world except those who are so awesome they get paid to play in the US and Canada.  Now it's the best in the world.

Yeehaw.  Let the kids play.  Yep, that 1992 US team was a blast to watch.  Go Mo Mantha Jr go!  Invite all of your friends over tonight.  Ray Leblanc is going to shine!  Can't wait to get my own 1992 Team USA hockey jersey.  It's going to have Hedican on the back.  So awesome.

You know, or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

How worried are athletes from around the world ?

They are telling family members to stay home. The uproar by NBC if sports governing bodies started a buycott or were telling their athletes they have the option to stay home would be a major explosion of lawsuits.

All this "The Olympic perimeter is safe" is a bunch of BS!

Is it bc its in russia?   Should the boston marathon be cancelled bc the US cant stop these types of events happening?   What about the superbowl?   What do think the security is like at that event.  I would say through the roof. 

You're seriously comparing the security in the US with a third world country like Russia ?

Do you know how many terrorist cells are in Russia ?

Russia is a mess and has been since the wall went down. You need way more information echo chamber!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

They are telling family members to stay home. The uproar by NBC if sports governing bodies started a buycott or were telling their athletes they have the option to stay home would be a major explosion of lawsuits.

Is it bc its in russia?   Should the boston marathon be cancelled bc the US cant stop these types of events happening?   What about the superbowl?   What do think the security is like at that event.  I would say through the roof. 

You're seriously comparing the security in the US with a third world country like Russia ?

Russia is a mess and has been since the wall went down. You need way more information echo chamber!

Well i realize whats going on there.  But 911 and the Boston Marathon are two of the biggest attacks in recent-alltime history.  

I thought you may have read something and could share. do you know how many russian terrorist cells are in the USA?  

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Id go but leave the family home.

Shupe, that first sentence may be true from a north american perspective, but with a world view both pale compared to some of the genocides in recent years. Still horrific crap though.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Shupe, 911, yes, but the marathon? it was horrific, but from a global perspective it's not even in the top 20 of last year (there were at least 20 terrorist attacks last year world wide with a higher mortality rate.) Maybe as Papi said, it is from an NA perspective, but overall? There are attacks every two weeks or so that are far worse. It still is, as he said, horrific crap. It did $hut down a city, but how you measure these things is relative. But if you used mortatlity as the measuring stick? In April of 2013 for example two weeks before the bombing at the marathon, 55 people were killed after an attack at a court house in Afghanistan. It all depends on how you define these things, so if you measure by the overall impact on a city? I can get your point. But I use a different measure.

PS Russia is completely screwed up, but they're a G8 country - that's the exact opposite of the definition of Third World. Technically they could still be (in certain circles) considered 2nd World, as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world designations are a Cold War construct with the first referring to devlloped Western nations, 2nd referring to Soviet/Communist nations and the 3rd being everyone else (that's the old school etymology). It previously defined what is now Russia as 2nd world, so make of those archaic designations as you may.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I was in St. Petersburg, Russia, during the 2004-05 lockout, and not a mouse could have slipped into their hockey arena. Security was way over the top (well said, Fletcher).

•  

In response to red75's comment:

Shupe, 911, yes, but the marathon? it was horrific, but from a global perspective it's not even in the top 20 of last year (there were at least 20 terrorist attacks last year world wide with a higher mortality rate.) Maybe as Papi said, it is from an NA perspective, but overall? There are attacks every two weeks or so that are far worse. It still is, as he said, horrific crap. It did $hut down a city, but how you measure these things is relative. But if you used mortatlity as the measuring stick? In April of 2013 for example two weeks before the bombing at the marathon, 55 people were killed after an attack at a court house in Afghanistan. It all depends on how you define these things, so if you measure by the overall impact on a city? I can get your point. But I use a different measure.

PS Russia is completely screwed up, but they're a G8 country - that's the exact opposite of the definition of Third World. Technically they could still be (in certain circles) considered 2nd World, as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world designations are a Cold War construct with the first referring to devlloped Western nations, 2nd referring to Soviet/Communist nations and the 3rd being everyone else (that's the old school etymology). It previously defined what is now Russia as 2nd world, so make of those archaic designations as you may.

I realize the suicide bombers are daily events in some countries and even with tight security things can go sideways.  Im thrilled i live in the country i do for this reason.  Yes there are events that make you cringe but its great to be Canadian.  I have traveled and always tell people if they think our police is bad they need to go travel.  

Russia is a upside down place.  But im putting some belief that they will have everything locked down tight.  Like i said, i can see stuff-demonstration take place outside the olympic venue which likely will steal the thunder of the games.   i hope innocent people dont get hurt.  I could care less if the crazy people blow themselves up.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to nitch19's comment:

Personally, I'm tired of the NHL participating in the Olympics.  Can't stand it to be honest.  The novelty has worn off, and I hate the interruption of the season and the compressed schedule that goes along with that.  Can't believe the NHL and the players want to continue doing this.

Yep, I feel the same way. I dont get any enjoyment watching olympic hockey. I too hate the interruption. The other part I hate about the olympics is the stuff they show on tv. Always seems to be Figure skating and skiing. Never seem to show anything else. At least it feels that way to me. The same goes for summer olympics. All they showed was swimming.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Pakistan,Afghanistan etc...They've had how many years to get it right now,and 80% of their countries look like construction sites that were abandoned years ago...It's 2014 and you dont even have running water in some "downtown" areas, too busy protesting stuff and blowing up stuff...Too many extremists come from those dirt holes, and too many innocent people are dying all over the world becuse morons would rather die for a dumb cause than pick up a gillette razor. War and religion is all they care about and they havent revolved enough to have the smarts to seperaste the two.

Put those sad sack of countries out of their misery. Grab their oil while your there, my heating costs are ridiculous.

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Pakistan,Afghanistan etc...They've had how many years to get it right now,and 80% of their countries look like construction sites that were abandoned years ago...It's 2014 and you dont even have running water in some "downtown" areas, too busy protesting stuff and blowing up stuff...Too many extremists come from those dirt holes, and too many innocent people are dying all over the world becuse morons would rather die for a dumb cause than pick up a gillette razor. War and religion is all they care about and they havent revolved enough to have the smarts to seperaste the two.

Put those sad sack of countries out of their misery. Grab their oil while your there, my heating costs are ridiculous.

Amen brother.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

By definition yes but if you aren't part of the Ex-KGB super rich, you are nobody in that country. Great for trade, bad if you you are blue collar.

The US now has a backup plan if Russia can't protect the athletes.

By definition yes but if you aren't part of the Ex-KGB super rich, you are nobody in that country. Great for trade, bad if you you are blue collar.

The US now has a backup plan if Russia can't protect the athletes.

They are the one country that should.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

All your insults on the US will never put me down. Its a reflection you and you only.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo!

•  

All your insults on the US will never put me down. Its a reflection you and you only.

Mr. Sensitive pants.  

Read Why the West Rules--For Now by Ian Morris or Collapse by Jared Diamond then refine the blame game Sweds and Canadians use for USA military actions.  It is not so simple as Paul Kennedy writes in the Rise and Fall of Great Powers.  

Mr. Sensitive pants.  

In response to islamorada's comment:

Read Why the West Rules--For Now by Ian Morris or Collapse by Jared Diamond then refine the blame game Sweds and Canadians use for USA military actions.  It is not so simple as Paul Kennedy writes in the Rise and Fall of Great Powers.  

Mr. Sensitive pants.  

Why?   I was kidding with San and we have had back and forth on canada usa forever.  If i could choose a place to live it would be Boston.  The less i read about super powers the better off i am.  

I know you guys are spinning off on each other.  You also know how much I respect Canada.  I think the US is correct on Russia.  It has pockets of control but not near Georgia.  BTW did you know of McQuaid when he was a junior?  

Mr. Sensitive pants.  

Why?   I was kidding with San and we have had back and forth on canada usa forever.  If i could choose a place to live it would be Boston.  The less i read about super powers the better off i am.  

I know you guys are spinning off on each other.  You also know how much I respect Canada.  I think the US is correct on Russia.  It has pockets of control but not near Georgia.  BTW did you know of McQuaid when he was a junior?  

Mr. Sensitive pants.  

I think any country going in there better have some sorta comfort level.  People who complain about the little things in life need to look around.  Its no wonder so many try to come to Canada and the US.   

no on McQ.  Hes one tough cookie.  Good old spud picker.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I think it should be 'evolved', as in "Hi, I am Kelvana, and I have yet to evolve as a member of mankind'.

A great moto. So Christian. God would be proud of you. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I think it should be 'evolved', as in "Hi, I am Kelvana, and I have yet to evolve as a member of mankind'.

A great moto. So Christian. God would be proud of you. 

I probably upset Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny as well.

Oh well.

• Sections
    Shortcuts