Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor

I wonder if the Oilers would have the draft today wich one they would pick ..??

Tyler is becoming a much more completer player (Thanks to CJ) and has probably the best one timer shot in the league with Ovi ....Taylor unfortunately has spent more time on the injury list than on the ice and has not yet developed into a complete player ...hey Oilers fans who would you pick today ????

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Re: Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor

In Response to Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor:
    I wonder if the Oilers would have the draft today wich one they would pick ..?? Tyler is becoming a much more completer player (Thanks to CJ) and has probably the best one timer shot in the league with Ovi ....Taylor unfortunately has spent more time on the injury list than on the ice and has not yet developed into a complete player ...hey Oilers fans who would you pick today ???? Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- 2012 -2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- 2012 -2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- 2012 -2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- 2012 -2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- 2012 -2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- 2012 -2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Steven Stamkos?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor:
    In Response to Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor : Steven Stamkos?
    Posted by matttt87

My thought exactly.

Glad someone else brought this topic up as I wanted to rub this in.

Mind you Kessel was older in his second season and got regular shifts pretty much from the beginning.

Kessel's second season
    82 19 18 37 pts

Seguin's second season - which obviously isn't even finshed yet, and will not get in 82 games, 76 at most if he plays all the remaining games.
    71 26 35 61 pts

And for plus minus, forget it.  Kessel was a plus 23 in his final year with the Bruins (his 3rd season) and Seguin is a plus 28 this his second year in the NHL.

Seguin has certainly not reached his potential, anyone who seriously watches hockey can see that his game is growing and he still has more potential to fulfill.

Kessel reached his potential this year, I don't ever see him scoring 50 goals.  I think 40-45 would be as many as he will ever get.  Unless he gets onto a good team which I never see him doing because I believe he will get more money out of non-playoff teams.  And I don't see him gelling with most playoff teams except for maybe the Sharks, certainly he would never embrace a Bruins system.

I still say that the Kessel trade will go down in history as one of the most one sided of all time, if not the most one sided in NHL history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

I think you have to compare how these players were brought along. I think if sequin had been pushed right onto the first line for an 82 game season on the Oilers, he would have been physically abused (he's still growing) as Hall was.

If Hall was eased into the regular shift as Seguin was, he'd be healthier and stronger and just as prolific.

They're both great players, who is better? I think the margin is very thin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I think coming into the draft it was said that Hall's style being more physical and his size. The chances for his career being plagged by injuries wqas greater.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Seguin. Hall is hurt way too much for my tastes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

i think we exaggerate how bad the kessel trade actually was.  You cant view from hindsight, you must view the trade from when it occured.  The leaves did not anticipate being as bad as they were , and therefore did not believe that the pick in question would be the second overall.  Nor did they know that Hamilton would be as good as he was.  No one did, because if they did, he would have went in the top 5.

Kessel was a 30 goal scorer.  Look, the trade worked out wonderfully for the B's, but honestly, there are worse trades every year.

Its not like they got nothing out of the deal.  They got a young proven 30 goal scorer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

i think we exaggerate how bad the kessel trade actually was.  You cant view from hindsight, you must view the trade from when it occured.  The leaves did not anticipate being as bad as they were , and therefore did not believe that the pick in question would be the second overall.  Nor did they know that Hamilton would be as good as he was.  No one did, because if they did, he would have went in the top 5. Kessel was a 30 goal scorer.  Look, the trade worked out wonderfully for the B's, but honestly, there are worse trades every year. Its not like they got nothing out of the deal.  They got a young proven 30 goal scorer.
    Posted by Drewski5
    This falls on Leaf management, who thought they had assembled quite the team. Then to trade away 2 first round draft picks and a second for a player who had character issues in his draft year,plus well documented team commitment issues also, this was a colossal mistake right from the beginning. Its all on Burke, who in his huge ego sized world would do it all over again, just ask him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

My thoughts exactly matttt87.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Really a played out topic, but I'll take another swing at it.

IMO, the Oilers and the Bruins would have both been better off if they took the opposite players.

EDM has had to over-play Hall, leading to injury, and they have not been balanced down the middle (although Ganger is playing better this season).
    They have been harking this "youth first, win later" approach, but because of ther depth at win, guys like Paajarvi and Omark are in the minors. I've said it a million times, but it was pretty stupid IMO for them to take Taylor Hall.

Taylor Hall would have been eased on the the Bruins much like Seguin was, in my opinion.  He wouldn't be as reckless because our system doesn't call for reckless offense. His style would have really hit it off with the Bruins fan-base, he's electric. We also wouldn't have to move/not-sign any of our current centers.

But one thing has to be said for Taylor Hall over Tyler. Taylor Hall has been a absolute beast on the power-play. Something like half of his goals in the NHL so far have been with a Man-up. Unlike Hall, Seguin has not shown the ability to produce on the power-play, and if that continues going forward, you have to take that as a significant knock against his game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

i think we exaggerate how bad the kessel trade actually was.  You cant view from hindsight, you must view the trade from when it occured.  The leaves did not anticipate being as bad as they were , and therefore did not believe that the pick in question would be the second overall.  Nor did they know that Hamilton would be as good as he was.  No one did, because if they did, he would have went in the top 5. Kessel was a 30 goal scorer.  Look, the trade worked out wonderfully for the B's, but honestly, there are worse trades every year. Its not like they got nothing out of the deal.  They got a young proven 30 goal scorer.
    Posted by Drewski5

Drew - For a rebuilding club the Leafs paid a steep price but both teams got what they wanted. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah the Trade!  Kessel wanted out of town for he felt and thought he was not being utilized by CJ.  He truly believed he was being restricted by the system.  So the trade was demanded by Kessel.  The result was two draft picks.  Overpaid? Well if Kessel turned out to be what he and Burke thought, no.  The rest of the story is the Bs had a multiple set of choices as a result of the trade, one was pure luck, Seguin.  I will say right now the prognostic hockey gurus were correct Taylor would be injured alot, and Seguin will slowly turn into a very good player.  Kudos for the Bs management.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Seguin was always projected to be the better, and more complete all around player, well before the draft. Hall was projected to be more ready from day 1, but would surpass Hall before too long. I think both projections were right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Posted by Drewski5

absolutely right.  the deal absolutely screwed the B's in 10.  That was supposed to be the year of the Bruins.  Despite peoples selective memory, Kessel's contribution was significant, and wasn't replaced in 10, and it ruined things.  Last year, Kessel would have been a bigger contributor than Seguin, but the absence of Kessels cap hit helped the B's, so it gets muddy when trying to make comparisons.  Like most talented 21 year olds, they get better each year til they peak, and Kessel is much better now than he was with the B's.  He's still soft defensively(probably always will be), but that goes with the territory of being a high end offensive threat.  Turns out, Kessels pay is reasonable considering the comparables.  I don't think it's pie in the sky to ssume he would currently be an offensive dynamo in Boston this year, easily matching Seguins offensive output, it's a given that his defense would have improved somewhat, but doubtful he could have matched Seguins this year.  There's still some money available from 81's cap hit, but that doesn't come into play this year, cuz the B's have all kinds of cap space anyway.  You can pick who you want for 11/12 to date, but to most impartial hockey people, there wouldn't be a huge disparity.
     Up til now, I certainly wouldn't call it that lop-sided.  It's not like about 28 other teams wouldn't kill for Kessel.
    The kicker is moving forward.  I agree with the assessment that Kessel is close to his peak, and I also agree Seguin is no where near his. From the trade til now...I feel Kessel would have been a greater contributor to the B's overall success, (his weaknesses are easily absorbed into the lineup, and his assets are magnified by the lineup))but looking ahead, it's not even close. We've seen enough of Seguin to know that barring injury,(which applies to everyone) this guy is gonna be one of the very, very best players in the league...in a really short time.   
    Appears Hamilton is gonna be a dandy, but it appeared Kyle McLaren was gonna be too.  Same with Jircina.  Everything looks great, but propects who play defense, seem to be difficult to project.  Still...pretty hard to not be excited about the prospect of Hamilton, as it looks like he has all the tools to not only compete at the NHL level, but be a premier player.
    To me...the bounty in the Kessel deal is all about from here on out, not from then to now, and it certainly appears pretty lop sided in the Bruins favour.   Should be crystal clear in a couple years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Seguin was always projected to be the better, and more complete all around player, well before the draft. Hall was projected to be more ready from day 1, but would surpass Hall before too long. I think both projections were right.
    Posted by davecarr

me too.  Seguin's skill set is unbelievable, and his body just needs to catch up.  He's learning how to play the pro game in a perfect setting.  Everythings ahead of schedule in my books.  If his mind and comittment develop at the rate of everything else, he'll easily be considered on of the 4 or 5 best players in the league within a couple years.
    I think Ovechkin is a perfect example of an athlete whos hit a mental wall in his game.  He's at the point in his career where he needs emotional toughness.  He never developed it, and was never surrounded by it.  That's not the case with Seguin.  He's blanketed by zealots, and workaholics, and that either rubs off, or it's driven down your throat.
    Seguin's path to date has been so much more productive for a young hot shot.  If you think of the Oilers and Bruins as classrooms, which provides the most opportunity to learn.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

He's still soft defensively(probably always will be), but that goes with the territory of being a high end offensive threat. 
    Posted by stevegm

Not entirely true. I'm too tired to aggressively respond to this, but let me just say that it seems like wishful thinking when kessel apologists suggest that all great offensive players don't play defense. That line of thinking prevents people from acknowledging just how horrid kessel is in his defensive zone relative to other "high end offensive threats". Kessel is probably the worst of all of these players.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying though--Kessel would probably be a major contributer to the current Bruins teams, more so than Seguin has been thus far. Kessel did play well in the playoffs (after his notorious rookie benching) and is much better on the power-play than anyone on the Bruins.

A side note about Kessel: I've been impressed with his leadership during the melt-down. He's stood up and taken a lot of the heat for his team when a lot of prima-dona scorer types would have shut down and put the head-phones on. He's just a small, high-scoring wing-- not a franchise player. He'll need some help to win in TOR.

but anyways Stevegm... just one last nit-picky thing. comparing Dougie Hamilton to Kyle Maclaren and Milan Jurcina kinda shows that you aren't paying attention to dougie's development.

in his two years @ the Tacoma Rockets here's Kyle Maclaren's stats:
    1993-1994: 62 games played, 1 goal, 9 assists
    1994-1995: 47 games played, 13 goals 19 assists
    Height: 6'4

In his three years @ Halifax Mooseheads here's Milan Jurcina's stats:
    2000-2001 68 games played, 0 goals, 5 assists
    2001-2002 61 games played, 4 goals, 16 assists
    2002-2003 51 games played, 15 goals, 13 assists

Dougie Hamilton
    2011-2012: 50 games, 17 goals, 55 assists

come on man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor : Not entirely true. I'm too tired to aggressively respond to this, but let me just say that it seems like wishful thinking when kessel apologists suggest that all great offensive players don't play defense. That line of thinking prevents people from acknowledging just how  horrid  kessel is in his defensive zone relative to other "high end offensive threats". Kessel is probably the worst  of all of these players. I agree with a lot of what you're saying though--Kessel would probably be a major contributer to the current Bruins teams, more so than Seguin has been thus far. Kessel did play well in the playoffs (after his notorious rookie benching) and is much better on the power-play than anyone on the Bruins. A side note about Kessel: I've been impressed with his leadership during the melt-down. He's stood up and taken a lot of the heat for his team when a lot of prima-dona scorer types would have shut down and put the head-phones on. He's just a small, high-scoring wing-- not a franchise player. He'll need some help to win in TOR. but anyways Stevegm... just one last nit-picky thing. comparing Dougie Hamilton to Kyle Maclaren and Milan Jurcina kinda shows that you aren't paying attention to dougie's development. in his two years @ the Tacoma Rockets here's Kyle Maclaren's stats: 1993-1994: 62 games played, 1 goal, 9 assists 1994-1995: 47 games played, 13 goals 19 assists Height: 6'4 In his three years @ Halifax Mooseheads here's Milan Jurcina's stats: 2000-2001 68 games played, 0 goals, 5 assists 2001-2002 61 games played, 4 goals, 16 assists 2002-2003 51 games played, 15 goals, 13 assists Dougie Hamilton 2011-2012: 50 games, 17 goals, 55 assists come on man.
    Posted by Olsonic

couple things.  not a Kessel apologist by any means, and not saying all good players can't play defense.  I'm saying it most cases it's not their strength.  Kessels last year here, he was +23.  Currently in 2012 his plus/minus is equal to Kovalchuck on a much worse team defensively.  Most here don't rail on and on about his defensive issues.  My generalization is no more deserving an "aggressive response", than yours, stating Kessel is "probably the worst".   It's not necessarily fact, but I get your point.
    I guess my pet peeve is that it seems people seem to be pigeon holed into 2 groups on this subject, on this site.   Apologists, or Lovers.  That seems ridiculous to me. 
      Most people that diss on Kessel(Bruin fans are the worst) dismiss anything positive about his game because of his defensive liability, thus ridiculously undervaluing him overall as a player.  
    Not comparing Hamiltons development to anyone either.  Just making a general statement suggesting it's not reasonable to put too much stock in a guy who's never played a game in the NHL.  McLaren was a first round pick(9thoverall), and was never an all world player.(Jurcina, I admit was a terrible choice of players to plug in there.  Perhaps Boynton would have been a better choice, as he was considered a future star after he made the jump to the NHL). I stated the fact that Hamilton looks like the real deal, and I realize his stats are great, but the time to measure his contribution will be in a couple years....not now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor : Not entirely true. I'm too tired to aggressively respond to this, but let me just say that it seems like wishful thinking when kessel apologists suggest that all great offensive players don't play defense. That line of thinking prevents people from acknowledging just how  horrid  kessel is in his defensive zone relative to other "high end offensive threats". Kessel is probably the worst  of all of these players. I agree with a lot of what you're saying though--Kessel would probably be a major contributer to the current Bruins teams, more so than Seguin has been thus far. Kessel did play well in the playoffs (after his notorious rookie benching) and is much better on the power-play than anyone on the Bruins. A side note about Kessel: I've been impressed with his leadership during the melt-down. He's stood up and taken a lot of the heat for his team when a lot of prima-dona scorer types would have shut down and put the head-phones on. He's just a small, high-scoring wing-- not a franchise player. He'll need some help to win in TOR. but anyways Stevegm... just one last nit-picky thing. comparing Dougie Hamilton to Kyle Maclaren and Milan Jurcina kinda shows that you aren't paying attention to dougie's development. in his two years @ the Tacoma Rockets here's Kyle Maclaren's stats: 1993-1994: 62 games played, 1 goal, 9 assists 1994-1995: 47 games played, 13 goals 19 assists Height: 6'4 In his three years @ Halifax Mooseheads here's Milan Jurcina's stats: 2000-2001 68 games played, 0 goals, 5 assists 2001-2002 61 games played, 4 goals, 16 assists 2002-2003 51 games played, 15 goals, 13 assists Dougie Hamilton 2011-2012: 50 games, 17 goals, 55 assists come on man.
    Posted by Olsonic

I don't recall ever hearing anyone slagging Sakic's, Lemieux's, Hawerchuk's, Federov's or Yzerman's basic defensive abilities. God, Stevie Y and Federov both won Selke's. The idea that good offense comes with an automatic lack of defense is proposterous.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor : I don't recall ever hearing anyone slagging Sakic's, Lemieux's, Hawerchuk's, Federov's or Yzerman's basic defensive abilities. God, Stevie Y and Federov both won Selke's. The idea that good offense comes with an automatic lack of defense is proposterous.
    Posted by red75

Of course it is, no one is suggesting otherwise.  Generally players are known by their strengths though, and one usually trumps the other.  Rarely are players as competent at one end as they are the other.  Your list drives that home.  Those you mention above are certainly not an accurate representation of the average scorer...rather they're examples of amazing, hall of fame talents. 
    Not what we're talking here.
    The same thing with the team concept.  The cup winning Jersey teams of the past were considered defense first.  The 80's Oilers were more about fire power than shutdown.  So were the 50's and 60's Canadiens, 70-72 Bruins.  The mid 70's Flyers..they're remembered for toughness, but like all of these cup winners, no one is saying that's the only thing they could do.  They were just known for their greatest strength.
    To suggest any more than a handful of NHL players are as good in every facet of the game is preposterous.  You can't play in the NHL unless there's some balance there, but almost everyone has some area of weakness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Hall is the real deal but he can't stay healthy because of his pedal/metal type game. This will likely wear on him as more seasons go by.

It's not that the Bruins made the right choice but rather EDM made the wrong. Seguin would have fit beautifully with Eberly, Hopkins et al.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Kessel may have reached his potential, alright. On the other hand, "character and team commitment issues" are a lot easier to fix than a basic lack of ability - and even the most ardent Kessel haters have to admit that "Dollar Phil" has tons of talent. With the right attitude plus an adequate centreman to feed him the puck, Kessel might still get to 50plus goals per season. Nobody knows, of course, if this is ever going to happen - certainly not while there are still GMs/coaches/teammates around who tell him his game/attitude is good enough the way it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Depends on how you look at the Kessel trade, but I still call it a huge bruise for the Leafs.  They wanted a franchise centrepiece, and they got a guy who hadn't matched his Bruins totals until this year.  They got a guy who was a secondary player floundering around looking for a centre to "get him the puck".  (He's not a spot shooter; anyone can get the puck to him - a lack of competent passing defensemen was probably more of a drag on Phil).  What they wanted was a player who would kick-start their rebuild.  They went backwards with him.  Saying "they didn't expect to be that bad" is partly a shot a Kessel's impact - it's a big shot, really, because they gambled that with Kessel, they'd improve enough that a first round pick wouldn't be an immediate impact player.  Lose.

The Bruins had a player who was talented but ultimately a poor, poor fit for a team that was building based on a close-knit, group commitment, team toughness model.  I can't go as far as saying ditching Phil was addition by subtraction, but having him and his mercurial talents playing a key role - and eating up any salary dollars that might have brought in Horton, then later Peverley and Kelly - would have made the Bruins a lesser team.  And even in 2010, when the picks were just numbers and not names, the Bruins, for all their regular-season woes, were a goal away from making the ECF.  I can't honestly say I think Phil would have out-performed Satan in that playoff (13 games 5-5-10 and +4; game winner in OT vs. Miller).  So the real "loss" of Kessel was...sorry, I'm coming up blank.  Instead, they got potential franchise players at two of the three position groups (premature to suggest this for Hamilton, but humour me).  Win.

Would the Leafs be farther ahead this year with Seguin, Hamilton, Knight and $5.5M to sign someone else...maybe someone who plays net?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think Seguin can do most of what Hall does, but fits the more controlled scheme of the Bruins.  I think it still comes down to what situation you're in.  Hall was the right pick for Edmonton, who needed the right now Mr. Excitement player.  Plus, if they take Seguin, they might have been tempted not to take RNH - though Landeskog would have looked good there too.

Seguin's been just fine on the wing, too - no rush to put him at C.  He doesn't win enough face-offs, for one thing, and as the Globe points out in the story about Bergeron, on the rush, the C in Boston follows the puck out rather than push it.  Seguin is a pusher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Today (March 30th 2012) Tyler or Taylor : absolutely right.  the deal absolutely screwed the B's in 10.  That was supposed to be the year of the Bruins.  Despite peoples selective memory, Kessel's contribution was significant, and wasn't replaced in 10, and it ruined things. Posted by stevegm

Complete hogwash the Bruins were decimated by injuries night after night that is what made 10' an unbearable regular season. The Bruins still found a way to beat the Sabres in the first round with all kinds of injuries. That is not selective that was the reality. With and without Kessel the Bruins didn't get past the 2nd round of the palyoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

He doesn't win enough face-offs, for one thing, and as the Globe points out in the story about Bergeron, on the rush, the C in Boston follows the puck out rather than push it.  Seguin is a pusher.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I'm gonna protest a few points, but first, let me grant you that Seguin hasn't been strong in the circle. He absolutely needs to improve in this area. But remember, Stamkos isn't very good either (45%) nor is Malkin (47%). I'm not saying that it's cool for centers to be brutal on the dot--it absolutely does matter-- but it's a cost-benefit in my opinion, and Seguin is simply too good in the middle of the ice and too good a passer not to be in the position that rewards those types of players.

As far as the globe's comments (i didn't read them), I don't think its anything special about the bruins system that the center lags behind the play--all centers typically do because they have responsibilities down low in the defensive zone whereas the weak-side wing is normally at MOST at the bottom of the slot. When the puck transitions, you head-man the puck.. that's pretty basic hockey stuff. Seguin's only a "pusher" (whatever that means) because he gets the puck higher in the defensive zone on the breakout. Bergeron is low because that's just what a center does in the defensive zone-- If Bergeron was a wing, I guess he'd be a pusher too.

The thing that makes speedy+good passing centers so dangerous is because they start off low in the d-zone, and they have the wheels to catch up with the play, and the passing skills to get the puck to the right man. They are also in advantageous positions when trailing the play when hard-charging wingers (like lucic) can create space for them in the slot to do what Seguin absolutely does best: score.

Seguin is not a natural wing, and he's gonna be much more dynamic in the middle imo.

Sections
Shortcuts