Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls

So, given the fact that the premise pf this thread that the "know it alls" are in fact all Rask supporters, and that no matter what happened, it was a no-lose situation (he wins, told ya, he loses, he's rusty) what do you want people to say?

What happened? He played poorly (although 16 shots in a period is pretty busy). Are you happy now?  However, no matter how much you hate Rask in order to make TT look better, can you honestly say that the rust didn't matter?  Really?

And, since this thread is all about promoting TT, can you honestly give Thomas the excuse that he's "tired"... thats why he gave up that long short side goal and that's why he looks so silly on the shootouts... but Rask couldn't be rusty?

Why not be fair, even when you try to bury Rask at every chance?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls:
    [QUOTE]So, given the fact that the premise pf this thread that the "know it alls" are in fact all Rask supporters, and that no matter what happened, it was a no-lose situation (he wins, told ya, he loses, he's rusty) what do you want people to say? What happened? He played poorly (although 16 shots in a period is pretty busy). Are you happy now?  However, no matter how much you hate Rask in order to make TT look better, can you honestly say that the rust didn't matter?  Really? And, since this thread is all about promoting TT, can you honestly give Thomas the excuse that he's "tired"... thats why he gave up that long short side goal and that's why he looks so silly on the shootouts... but Rask couldn't be rusty? Why not be fair, even when you try to bury Rask at every chance?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

This thread wasn't even about Rask.  It was about the onslaught of threads no matter the outcome.

Nowhere did I bash Rask, and nowhere did I promote Rask.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

But the biggest know it all has finally checked in!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Like I said in my first post on this thread. I just sat back, read and shook my head . People took a thread that was meant to point out the amount threads no matter the outcome and turned it into a Rask vs. Thomas -fest . What I got that I didn't expect was the vigilantism ! Reminded me of an old Charles Bronson movie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thinking about BruWing's suggestion, which basically recognizes that the Bruin goaltending isn't going to improve until Rask gets a chance to play himself into the season and Thomas gets a chance to rest/refocus/whatever he needs to do to get back the sharpness he had for the first 30 games of the season.  Why make it as complicated as a yo-yo trip to the minors for Rask?  Worse, why risk sending Rask down to a situation where he'd be primed to fail in front of a bad Providence lineup?  Would that be good?  Have him play two in front of a weak P-Bruins defense, give up 8 goals in two games, absorb two losses, then bring him up?

This can be pretty simple.  When Thomas was hot, playing Rask just to play him was potentially taking wins off the table.  With Thomas playing like a human being again, the degree of difference between an average TT game and a game by rusty Tuukka isn't a s great, and it looks like it will get smaller with every game in a row TT is forced to play.  So - now's the time to stick Rask in and ride him for a few games.  Or to alternate goalies for a few games until someone finds their game.  No need to send Rask down unless he keeps giving up three and four goals every night.  In that case, you're not sending him down because he's rusty, though, you're sending him down because he's lost something and needs more than a few games to find it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"So - now's the time to stick Rask in and ride him for a few games."

Absolutely but to no avail because today in the Bruins notebook....

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/01/03/bruins_goalie_rask_is_heading_for_a_tutorial_with_essensa/

the brilliant Clode Julien doesn't agree so Thomas will be tired come playoff time...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I like both goalies.  This isn't minor hockey though.  In pro hockey, a goalie must seize the opportunity, and steal the job when opportunity arises.  That's just the way it is.  Both understand that.  Entitlement isn't part of the equation.  To B's management, tonite isn't just another game(for the players it probably is)  The Buffalo game didn't make it any easier to pick a starter, but based on the "meeting with Essena Wednesday comments", wouldn't be surprised to see TT in tonite.
    Whatever.
    We're not yet half way through the schedule.  Tuuka will get his starts, and his game figured out.  Before April, both goalies will single handedly win some games...and lose some.
    No cause for panic in that position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The fact is, their numbers aren't the same.. I was saying I wanted to see rask play behind the team now that they seemed to have leveled off (not starting flat, or dying) and this was just a sloppy game..

The team wasn't flat.. But all things considered they were sharp..As far as Rasking "needing to play more to remain sharp" I don't buy.. Thomas went through similar stints at the end of last season.. He started a 5-0 shut out after 7 straight games on the bench.. It happens..

There are goalies who make a career out of starting 10 games a year.. Thomas is playing hot (was? not sure what to make of the saturday night game) you ride that till he's not.. Rask said himself if he picks up and plays like that and takes the reigns he hopes he gets the starts, and he has in the past..

Thomas if he plays like he has, deserves to start 60 games this year.. Its not an anamoly, its not a huge concern to me if rask doesnt get 30 starts.. If thomas is playing well you ride him..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The fact is, their numbers aren't the same.. I was saying I wanted to see rask play behind the team now that they seemed to have leveled off (not starting flat, or dying) and this was just a sloppy game.. The team wasn't flat.. But all things considered they were sharp..As far as Rasking "needing to play more to remain sharp" I don't buy.. Thomas went through similar stints at the end of last season.. He started a 5-0 shut out after 7 straight games on the bench.. It happens.. There are goalies who make a career out of starting 10 games a year.. Thomas is playing hot (was? not sure what to make of the saturday night game) you ride that till he's not.. Rask said himself if he picks up and plays like that and takes the reigns he hopes he gets the starts, and he has in the past.. Thomas if he plays like he has, deserves to start 60 games this year.. Its not an anamoly, its not a huge concern to me if rask doesnt get 30 starts.. If thomas is playing well you ride him..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    My only issue remains with CJ pulling Rask while Boston had the lead.We know TT is a veteran that's capable of coming off the bench after a long layoff.It seems the same may not hold true of Rask.I'm all for whatever it takes to get both goalies playing at an elite level again.Boston has the leagues best tandem.I just want it to continue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    no issue with pulling rask while the bruins were in the lead..

They gave him 4 first period goals, and he had a 1 goal lead, he also gave up some bad goals, thomas gave up goals, but they were traffic, they were broken plays that lead to scores.. They weren't "bad" goals..

Rask wasnt sharp, he got a spot start and had he played really well would have been able to make an arguement that thomas has played a lot, he has slowed down some I deserve to start, and he didnt..Nothing I saw of Rask play in that game makes me go, hey, he should get another start...

Thomas has been the best goalie in the league, rask has been ok.. You play the better guy..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, no issue with pulling rask while the bruins were in the lead.. They gave him 4 first period goals, and he had a 1 goal lead, he also gave up some bad goals, thomas gave up goals, but they were traffic, they were broken plays that lead to scores.. They weren't "bad" goals.. Rask wasnt sharp, he got a spot start and had he played really well would have been able to make an arguement that thomas has played a lot, he has slowed down some I deserve to start, and he didnt..Nothing I saw of Rask play in that game makes me go, hey, he should get another start... Thomas has been the best goalie in the league, rask has been ok.. You play the better guy..
    That short-side goal was bad.You say Rask gave up some bad goals but the first 2 weren't his fault.Either way,let's hope whoever plays against the leafs has a better game.In the overall scheme of things,boston's top of the league goaltending is the last thing to worry about.Cheers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The short side was bad, his reaction was bad, his play of the puck outside the crease was bad..

The first goal.. ehh, broken play, not a bad goal, but I still think he should have had it.

They weren't good goals, not that the ones against thomas were..

Tonight is Rask, I hope we start to see more, he hasn't been bad, look at this numbers, but he has been inconsistant.. I just don't get why some fans think, Rask has to play for this reason or that reason, he's 22? 23, he can play the role of back up for a season or 2 if thomas is going to put up vezina winners and still be the future of this team.(not directed at you.. ) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How long does it take to put a team in a funk by sending a goalie between the pipes with zero confidence. I think this is waste of 2 points, but I hope he does well...all of Boston should hope so. But I fear he will not hold the fort enough for a win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Too bad the B's couldn't have picked up a 3rd goalie for moments just like this. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I like Rask tonight.... He had that look in his eyes last game. That crazy freaking look that said to me "Next Time I get a chance not even a line of Gretzky-Lemuix-God could put a puck behind me!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'll give the forum this...Rask sure has a great fan-following. His agent should use you guys in negotiations.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]I'll give the forum this...Rask sure has a great fan-following. His agent should use you guys in negotiations.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Rask is a  quality tender who's confidence is completely shot and is getting no playing time. He also lead the league in save% last year and has alot of potential. Sorry I dont want to send him to the minors or call him a bust I guess that makes me dumb.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'll give the forum this...Rask sure has a great fan-following. His agent should use you guys in negotiations.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    You can be on the other side if he goes to arbitration.lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

ILH,
    Where has it been said anywhere there are any confidense problems??

I hope you weren't one of the people lobbying for a thomas trade, or how stupid a signing of him was..

Thomas sat similar stretches last year while playing well, and unlike rask had proved he deserved starts..

I agree with you on rask having potential, and his numbers are fine.. I see no problems with his play for the most part, he has simply been outplayed.. He should be able to be ok with that, and be able to mentally battle through it, if he can't he wont have much of a career.. Goal tending is about mental toughness, I don't hear anything out of rask but the right things.. the only ones complaining about his time, are his fans, who keep making excuses for why he should play, or how badly he is being handled..  He is backing up a guy 1 year removed from the vezina, and knows he is the only plan going forward for this team..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]ILH, Where has it been said anywhere there are any confidense problems?? I hope you weren't one of the people lobbying for a thomas trade, or how stupid a signing of him was.. Thomas sat similar stretches last year while playing well, and unlike rask had proved he deserved starts.. I agree with you on rask having potential, and his numbers are fine.. I see no problems with his play for the most part, he has simply been outplayed.. He should be able to be ok with that, and be able to mentally battle through it, if he can't he wont have much of a career.. Goal tending is about mental toughness, I don't hear anything out of rask but the right things.. the only ones complaining about his time, are his fans, who keep making excuses for why he should play, or how badly he is being handled..  He is backing up a guy 1 year removed from the vezina, and knows he is the only plan going forward for this team..
    I think you're right Roler.It's the media and fans that are making more out of this than the players involved.If nothing else,TT and Rask seem to be each other's biggest fan.They both seem to have the right attitude.I'll worry about Boston's goalies when they have a real problem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Where has it been said anywhere there are any confidense problems??

By Julien himself

I hope you weren't one of the people lobbying for a thomas trade, or how stupid a signing of him was..

Absolutely not im a goalie moderate. I love both the tender the B's have now. I do think that Timmy can get gassed if over played and benefits from a rotation.
    I think that a 3/1 type rotation will benefit both goalies.

agree with you on rask having potential, and his numbers are fine.. I see no problems with his play for the most part, he has simply been outplayed.. He should be able to be ok with that, and be able to mentally battle through it, if he can't he wont have much of a career.. Goal tending is about mental toughness, I don't hear anything out of rask but the right things.. the only ones complaining about his time, are his fans, who keep making excuses for why he should play, or how badly he is being handled..  He is backing up a guy 1 year removed from the vezina, and knows he is the only plan going forward for this team..

Agree im not a Rask or Timmah diehard I like them both. I love thomas's play but I think Rask can be much better than he is now and having a solid back up can be huge come playoff time. I agree that rask is saying the right things but saying and doing/thinking are two different things. The look on his face when Timmy let up his first goal against buffalo says it all. Rask is getting pissed. I think that might of factored into the decision to play him tonight. If he's mad and Emotional and ready to go I see no harm in letting him play tonight. I mean its not like Timmy was unbelievable in buffalo either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I dont recall seeing anything from Julien about that.. Recent comments about rask needing to work on his game but julien has always been supportive of both goalies..

And thomas not being sharp, on a night off is more excusable then Rask getting a chance to start and not playing well, like you said, thomas wasnt sharp either, so Rask is getting a second chance, lets see what he does...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

There's a huge difference having a 36-37 yr old who's played professionally longer than Rask has been a goalie to be a lot more "mentally tough". Mentally tough comes from experience. You can't expect a kid to get mentally tough overnight. Boston is not in the same situation that most teams are. I agree to riding the hot hand. I'm been thru both. There's a limit though & there's different circumstances. At the start of the year the B's HAD the best tandem in the league. Now & lately? The way both goalies have been playing they don't even have a number 1.

TT cannot go to CJ & tell him he's tired. That's an ultimate no,no! The coach has to be observant enough (Bob Essensa included) to see fatigue. I mean heck, I can tell when TT is showing signs of wearing down. He over commits on his aggressive style & doesn't keep his stick between his legs ON THE ICE. They also need to be smart enough to know about a future #1 & how long he can sit.

If Rask doesn't find his game & TT doesn't get back the groove that he was in. The B's coaching staff is to blame plain & simple.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2011/01/rask_to_start_t_1.html

Looks like Chiarelli did the right thing as sitting a goalie doesn't sharpen his skills.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Or maybe Rask secretly sent Essensa a text saying "BOBBY! HELP ME OUT HERE! I can't get better playing door opener at the end of the bench! Talk to somebody will ya!"