Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls

.922 save pct is not bad for a goalie with no confidance. can't wait for him to get confidant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls : You can be on the other side if he goes to arbitration.lol
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Look, I'd love for Rask to throw a shutout tonight, or at least be the winning goalie, but I have to throw it back on the Rask supporters that what do you do if Rask throws another stinker? Do you keep playing him? That's really what I'm concerned about. That his confidence is so shot that he needs 6 or 7 starts in minors to get his game back. Think in terms of wins and losses instead of who is the better goalie? or younger? or more talented? or more playoff-ready? or more experienced? It's all about winning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls : Look, I'd love for Rask to throw a shutout tonight, or at least be the winning goalie, but I have to throw it back on the Rask supporters that what do you do if Rask throws another stinker? Do you keep playing him? That's really what I'm concerned about. That his confidence is so shot that he needs 6 or 7 starts in minors to get his game back. Think in terms of wins and losses instead of who is the better goalie? or younger? or more talented? or more playoff-ready? or more experienced? It's all about winning.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    I just really didn't believe TT going in the other night gave Boston a better chance to win.I'm with you on the wins thing though.I don't care who starts if a win is the result.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i wonder if fans from other teams would complain that their goalie with a 1.80 avg and .945 save pct is starting too many games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]i wonder if fans from other teams would complain that their goalie with a 1.80 avg and .945 save pct is starting too many games.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]
    As soon as another team has a goalie with those numbers we can find out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]Or maybe Rask secretly sent Essensa a text saying "BOBBY! HELP ME OUT HERE! I can't get better playing door opener at the end of the bench! Talk to somebody will ya!"Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Nice one nitemare!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dannycater - I doubt going to Providence and playing in front of a very shaky team is the solution to a confidence problem let along a technical one.  They could just barely squeek 6-7 games into a two week conditioning stint, otherwise Rask would be exposed to waivers and that's a recipe to lose him.  But my point earlier in the thread was that Thomas's game is in a bit of a valley right now, so the impact of playing a wobbly Rask over a stretch is greatly reduced.

Which leads to - greatnewsbears.  Gotta look at Thomas's numbers over a shorter haul because that brilliant first ten games is both a) skewing Thomas's overall numbers and b) in the past.  His are still pretty impressive - a GAA of 2.25 and Sv% of .931, but they're heading up.  In his last 8, he's given up 3+ in 4, 2 goals in 3, and 1 goal only once.  And he hasn't had much luck in the shootout.  This does not mean he's about to collapse and retire - it means in the course of a long season, every goaltender will have peaks and valleys in his performance.  Thomas is in a valley relative to his overall play, so now's as good a time as any to get Rask in a groove. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

who is complaining about the bruins goaltending???stop it! they have the best 1-2 in the league...no question. this team will go as far as their effort brings them. when they skate hard/play physical they are at their best. my only real concern is their play at home--it has to be a tough place for opposing teams to play--and its not. they've got to get better there...forget about the goalies for crying out loud- that's the teams strongest facet  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

-Bookboy007, I never questioned Rask's confidence. He's as cool as they come when dealing with pressure and his confidence was never an issue with me. It's his mechanics that I felt needed to be worked on. His being sent to Providence would have been to get him some games and get into a groove. It would not be based on wins and losses. Evaluating a goalie is much more than wins and losses. I'd rather have him finding his game in Providence than in Boston. Obviously it's now a moot point considering how well he played vs. Toronto.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

BWF - that's why I mentioned Providence isn't the best solution for either a confidence or a technical problem.  I'd be concerned about Rask trying to do too much in Providence to cover up for a lack of solid defensive personnel.  You can tell a guy that wins and losses in the AHL don't matter as much as working on his game, but live fire makes competitive players want to win! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

rask should NEVER play another ahl game. that would do nothing to improve his game or confidance. sending a goalie with a .927 save pct down to the minors is ridiculous. if i were rask and they'd send me down, i'd be pissed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]-Bookboy007, I never questioned Rask's confidence. He's as cool as they come when dealing with pressure and his confidence was never an issue with me. It's his mechanics that I felt needed to be worked on. His being sent to Providence would have been to get him some games and get into a groove. It would not be based on wins and losses. Evaluating a goalie is much more than wins and losses. I'd rather have him finding his game in Providence than in Boston. Obviously it's now a moot point considering how well he played vs. Toronto.
    Posted by BruWingFan[/QUOTE]

It's not a moot point becuase of how well he played vs. Toronto.  It was a moot point to begin with because you were simply wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

rask should NEVER play another ahl game. that would do nothing to improve his game or confidance. sending a goalie with a .927 save pct down to the minors is ridiculous. if i were rask and they'd send me down, i'd be pissed.

Goalie's have been sent down before for conditioning reasons. DiPietro was sent down a few times. So, there's reason to get pi$$ed. It's not always a form of punishment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

dipietro's been sent down for conditioning 'cause he's always hurt. different situation with rask.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Again. It wouldn't be a form of punishment & Rask shouldn't get p'oed if that ever happened. If he did, then that's an attitude that would need addressing & prove being sent down is the right choice. Playing in the NHL is a priveldge not a right!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

It's not a moot point becuase of how well he played vs. Toronto.  It was a moot point to begin with because you were simply wrong.

Now hold on a second NAS. Bruwing wasn't necessarily wrong. Before the Leaf game. Rask wasn't mentally, or fundamently sound. Rask is a technical shot blocker & his game is his body position. His priority is to keep himself center to the puck. In that game against Buffalo he wasn't doing that. In that 3rd goal. Rask tried to cover the puck with the backside of his trapper. And his body was turned sideways. That's not how Rask plays.

I don't know how he turned it around, maybe him & Essensa had a long talk over the phone & they watched clips of the game while they talked. There certainly was a lot wrong with the kids game in Buffalo.

Just because you don't agree, doesn't make the guy wrong. What's your take on the way Rask played in Buffalo? If what Bruwing, myself & others saw as a problem in Rask's play. Why do you think our assessment is wrong?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]It's not a moot point becuase of how well he played vs. Toronto.  It was a moot point to begin with because you were simply wrong. Now hold on a second NAS. Bruwing wasn't necessarily wrong. Before the Leaf game. Rask wasn't mentally, or fundamently sound. Rask is a technical shot blocker & his game is his body position. His priority is to keep himself center to the puck. In that game against Buffalo he wasn't doing that. In that 3rd goal. Rask tried to cover the puck with the backside of his trapper. And his body was turned sideways. That's not how Rask plays. I don't know how he turned it around, maybe him & Essensa had a long talk over the phone & they watched clips of the game while they talked. There certainly was a lot wrong with the kids game in Buffalo. Just because you don't agree, doesn't make the guy wrong. What's your take on the way Rask played in Buffalo? If what Bruwing, myself & others saw as a problem in Rask's play. Why do you think our assessment is wrong?
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

38 , Rask has played goalie since a young age . He has been taught what mechanics he should be using . Goalies' mechanics get out of whack for one reason . They are not concentrating on what they've been taught. I think you're right about having Essensa or somebody talking to him. But what did he tell Rask ? Was it anything different then what Rask has learned in the past ? No , he probably told him to go back to his fundamentals and concentrate on doing those things correctly. Being fundamentally and mentally sound go hand in hand with each other.

P.S. I also played goalie for years as a jack of all trades for my team. I knew that when I was at my best I was concentrating on being square to the puck. Conversely when I stunk I was out of position.