Too many assets, time to cash in...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Too many assets, time to cash in...

Slow day on the boards today so figured I'd throw something at the wall and see if it sticks....

It seems to me that the Bruins have a wealth of assets and just can't figure out what to do with them.  Management is on the fence between keeping the band from the cup together at all costs, and if that can't happen, who do you send packing? 

The result is a logjam in Providence that is not providing us value except in the event of injuries

On Defense (ready now or in 1 yr): 

Warsofski, Trotman, Bart-Miller (pick one), Morrow

At Forward:

Spooner, Koko, Florek, Cunningham, Caron

Spare Parts in Boston:

Campbell, Paille, Kelley, McQuaid

I think a lot of the guys I just listed could be of value for a team in need either as proven role players from the big club, or prospects who could most likely make the roster on a lesser team with some holes to fill.  Are these guys worth anything?  When is it time to give up on retaining the entire cup team vs. moving on from a good player to make room for cheaper, but still good if not proven players from Providence?

I am as nostalgic as anybody else and would hate to see any of our "core" players on their way out (please don't trade Boychuck!) but at the same time I understand that you have to be realistic and be willing to part ways with good players due to the cap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Too many assets, time to cash in...

PC could package quite a few prospects with a roster player that has priced themselves out of Boston. As PC has mentioned, "teams have offered cap relief". As an example Bartkowski and KoKo along with Kelly or Boychuk for a RW. Chiarelli just wants the right deal and at the right price.

I'd bet that PC has deals to pull the trigger but is still working the phones for a bigger swaps instead of Salary dumps. Or he could be water skiing at Lake Winnipesaukee and he'll tend to these matters when he gets back.

I'd hang onto Morrow, Warsofsky (correct college defenseman spelling) and Trotman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PC could package quite a few prospects with a roster player that has priced themselves out of Boston. As PC has mentioned, "teams have offered cap relief". As an example Bartkowski and KoKo along with Kelly or Boychuk for a RW. Chiarelli just wants the right deal and at the right price.

I'd bet that PC has deals to pull the trigger but is still working the phones for a bigger swaps instead of Salary dumps. Or he could be water skiing at Lake Winnipesaukee and he'll tend to these matters when he gets back.

I'd hang onto Morrow, Warsofsky (correct college defenseman spelling) and Trotman.

[/QUOTE]

Do you think we can ice basically 2 Krugs?  Seems redundant, but Krug has been pretty solid defensively

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you think we can ice basically 2 Krugs?  Seems redundant, but Krug has been pretty solid defensively

[/QUOTE]

I love this place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins need to have depth for injuries. As Book has mentioned, it's looking like PC is expecting turnover. The plugs that have been inserted into the Bruins lineup since 2012 have been terrible quick fixes. 

Prospects need NHL minutes just like a MLB minor leaguer needs to start looking a major league breaking ball. Warsofsky, Trotman, Morrow, KoKo, Spooner, Florek and Fraser deserve chances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The logjam, if that's what it is, is also a function of PC not being able to make as many big deadline deals as he might have hoped.  Ideally, some of these guys would be gone - chips in a deal to rent a player or two who might push the Bruins over the top.  Khokhlachev and Bartkowski were supposed to be gone.

It's sort of the rule with the prospects for good teams.  There aren't going to be many quick hits, and there are going to be even fewer players who develop enough to get over the hump and play their way onto a contender.  But while they're still prospects - while their potential is still more a question of projection than analyzing their performance against pros - they have a value they quickly lose with every lack lustre AHL year or call-up.  An 8th overall pick bought the Devils Corey Schneider and solved the question of what they do when Marty finally starts to decline.  Pretty good return, and better than what Zach Hamill ever gave the Bruins.  Before his wrist injury, you might have been able to flip Hamill for something good.  After his first season, you might have packaged him with a roster player to get an upgrade.  By the time they dealt him, he was worth Chris Bourque.  Diminishing freaking returns.

PCs draft record might also look more...acceptable...if some of the prospects had been flipped for players to help now.

Are you not entertained?!?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think any asset/prospect that will be traded has to be packaged with a roster player to make the trade worth while for PC...I wouldn't expect too much back either way as I think the player PC covets is named cap space.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think any asset/prospect that will be traded has to be packaged with a roster player to make the trade worth while for PC...I wouldn't expect too much back either way as I think the player PC covets is named cap space.

[/QUOTE]

Et tu, kelvana?

You know why PC laughed when he said other GMs were calling to offer him "cap relief"?  He doesn't care about cap space.  He cares about icing the best possible lineup.  [Remember that old Down Goes Brown video mocking Burke for suggesting he'd eat bad contracts if the other team sent a "sweetener" that would make the Leafs a better hockey team?  That was hilarious...]

Anyway, apples and carburetors to compare a deal to acquire an asset to a deal to ditch a contract.  I'm a bit surprised PC hasn't made more minor league deals in the last few years.  He seems to have stocked the cupboard on the D side, but he hasn't had anything like that success with the forwards in minor league deals. 

And to go back to the OP, I don't think I put Cunningham and Caron in that F pack.  I think Cunny is a longshot at best to find a role in Boston when Florek and Fraser seem like the competition and have more size to offer in a bottom six role.  And the Shopping Channel clock is ticking on Caron.  I don't know that the Bruins would have brought in a guy like Sweethands if there was a genuine glut of scoring prospects.

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Anyway, apples and carburetors to compare a deal to acquire an asset to a deal to ditch a contract."

Stuart and Wheeler to Hot Peg for Peverley and Too Tall Vra-SomethingOrOther.

Keeping a salary in Boston for the best possible lineup will be 2009...2010ish. No money at the deadline, where PC has failed miserably except 2011. Not dumping Kelly or not pulling the trigger on a real good offer for Boychuk will be a BIG FAT "F"! 

If PC doesn't leave about $2M to make a trade through out the season then he has gone backwards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

If PC doesn't leave about $2M to make a trade through out the season then he has gone backwards.

[/QUOTE]

Key point right here....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't really think there is a logjam to speak of, or "too many assets" at all.

Most teams have a half dozen high-end AHL players that might be nipping at roster spots.  Maybe half can actually make that leap from AHL first-line caliber to being NHL useful (maybe less on a good NHL team).

Cunningham is barely an asset, Florek is maybe a bottom six guy, Koko is unknown as an NHL player, Caron is no more useful than he was 4 years ago, etc.  I see a bunch of question marks.  Spooner is maybe the exception, as I believe he has an NHL skill set.

Same deal on defense, although I agree there are more guys who have shown they are at least NHL useful.  A lot of unknowns though.  Other teams aren't clamoring for David Warsofsky or Zach Trotman.  They have those kinda players in their system too.

I think just about every team has guys like this.  The Bruins prospects are ranked #15 by Hockey's Future -- middle of the pack.

If I have to guess, I would say that Spooner and Morrow become good NHL players, while Florek and Fraser become useful pieces on the 3rd/4th line.

And Sandog, how dare you dump on Boris Valabik?  He was the Oleg of that time period

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

"Anyway, apples and carburetors to compare a deal to acquire an asset to a deal to ditch a contract."

Stuart and Wheeler to Hot Peg for Peverley and Too Tall Vra-SomethingOrOther.

Keeping a salary in Boston for the best possible lineup will be 2009...2010ish. No money at the deadline, where PC has failed miserably except 2011. Not dumping Kelly or not pulling the trigger on a real good offer for Boychuk will be a BIG FAT "F"! 

[/QUOTE]

Haha, I love that one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Et tu, kelvana?

You know why PC laughed when he said other GMs were calling to offer him "cap relief"?  He doesn't care about cap space.  He cares about icing the best possible lineup.  [Remember that old Down Goes Brown video mocking Burke for suggesting he'd eat bad contracts if the other team sent a "sweetener" that would make the Leafs a better hockey team?  That was hilarious...]

Anyway, apples and carburetors to compare a deal to acquire an asset to a deal to ditch a contract.  I'm a bit surprised PC hasn't made more minor league deals in the last few years.  He seems to have stocked the cupboard on the D side, but he hasn't had anything like that success with the forwards in minor league deals. 

And to go back to the OP, I don't think I put Cunningham and Caron in that F pack.  I think Cunny is a longshot at best to find a role in Boston when Florek and Fraser seem like the competition and have more size to offer in a bottom six role.  And the Shopping Channel clock is ticking on Caron.  I don't know that the Bruins would have brought in a guy like Sweethands if there was a genuine glut of scoring prospects.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

To ice the best team possible I would think he has to get both Krug and Smith signed and in the line up. To do that he is going to have to trade someone. Trading Jordan Caron/prospect by himself isn't going to get it done. He is going to have to move someone off of the roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:[QUOTE] And Sandog, how dare you dump on Boris Valabik?  He was the Oleg of that time period [/QUOTE]

Boris didn't go to college, went the CHL route. 

No fan club for you Boris the Spider!

PS. WoW I forgot Boris went 10th overall in the 2004 draft. Holy Crikey! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha77. Show tremha77's posts

The depth the bruins have on D isn't going to bring anything.  Look what Tampa had to do to clear cap space.  

In my mind the only tangible trading asset not in the NHL is probably Subban and he's a year away from proving his worth.   Maybe you can get someone to pay for his upside today.  

Subban, Kelly and Bart gets you what??  Top 6'RW and a draft pick?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love this place.

[/QUOTE]

You don't think that Warsofsky and Krug bring basically the same skill set?  Do tell

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Solid defensively and Krug belong in the same sentence as much as too short and Chara do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Solid defensively and Krug belong in the same sentence as much as too short and Chara do.

[/QUOTE]

And NAS and women don't belong together either.

Sections
Shortcuts