Too many nice guys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Too many nice guys

Got on a bit of a rant on another thread.  Thought I should start another discussion with this:

The B's have too many humanitarians for leaders on this team.  Call me a caveman but this is hockey played by men and every now and then you need to establish a sense of fear in the other team.  I've seen enough hockey to know "good guys" rarely are left standing in June.  Look at the Flyers.  The leaders on that team are mean, dirty, nasty MOFO's.  They play with a different mentality and delivering hurt is no doubt part of their game. 

I'm done with "codes" and "honour".  Those two words belong in the anthem for losers.  Winning in the playoffs and those two words don't go together.  The Boston Bruins need to get this identity back.  Not saying to start jumping in the stands and instigating bench clearing brawls but in 2010 you can get away with allot more nastiness than what the B's are bringing night in night out.  History tells us that dirty dickheads do help their teams win cups.   Over the last few years think of how many times a Bruin has been subject to a cheap shot or even a vicious clean hit and then think of what ramification was handed out by the NHL to the other team.

Jones on Bergeron= dirty hit (2 game suspension).  A goog player lost for 1 year.
    Richards on Krejci= nothing.  clean but vicious hit.  Series changer?
    Cooke and Savard= nothing.  dirty and based on the NHL standard should have gotten 2 gms.  The B's were never the same after that hit
    Walker on Ward = nothing.  A suspension could have changed that series

Memory Lane:
    Ulf on Neely = Career ending cheap shots equals zero suspension and alters the B's future into the 90's.
    Kasparitus on Heinze = border line hit that basically changed the players career.
    Claude on Neely = cheap shots, no code or honour and the league could care less.

Summary:  The NHL continues to allow this kind of game to be played despite all the "respect" smoke screens they put up.  If you can't beat em...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Re: Too many nice guys

Wow!  That was nice for a change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The only guy on the team who seems to see red and think "Oh no you don't..." is Ference.  The rest of the team is very controlled.  I don't want Ogie Oglethorpe or even Darcy Verot, but it would be great to have someone who would get mad and do more than yell at the other guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Gotta put Stuart in there too. Lucic has entirely too much self control, he loses his temper too late to get away with it.

In Response to Re: Too many nice guys:
    [QUOTE]The only guy on the team who seems to see red and think "Oh no you don't..." is Ference.  The rest of the team is very controlled.  I don't want Ogie Oglethorpe or even Darcy Verot, but it would be great to have someone who would get mad and do more than yell at the other guys.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta put Stuart in there too. Lucic has entirely too much self control, he loses his temper too late to get away with it. In Response to Re: Too many nice guys :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

I think Stuart is a "Take All Comers" guy, and will swing first at an attacker, but I don't recall ever seeing him go mad and be on the attack a la Ference.  He'll fight his fight until the fight ends, unlike Thornton, who will fight his fight until Colton Orr's jersey goes over his head, and then tell the refs to stop the fight so Orr doesn't get hurt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"A loosening of the emotional choke that restricts, if not negates, Milan Lucic, Shawn Thornton, and even Zdeno Chara from intimidating opponents. This speaks more, really, to Julien’s reserved and controlled approach, but he is being made aware that too much smart play is not always a good thing. This is a team that needs a big dose of dumb-and-ugly. Not every night, but just here and there as a sort of a touchstone."

Don't agree with KPD allot but this is spot on!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]"A loosening of the emotional choke that restricts, if not negates, Milan Lucic , Shawn Thornton , and even Zdeno Chara from intimidating opponents. This speaks more, really, to Julien’s reserved and controlled approach, but he is being made aware that too much smart play is not always a good thing. This is a team that needs a big dose of dumb-and-ugly. Not every night, but just here and there as a sort of a touchstone." Don't agree with KPD allot but this is spot on!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Wow - haven't read that before. Interesting that it states the he "is being made aware" that could only be coming from one place - Cam. Scary to think that someone needs to tell him, but whatever works -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

There are two problems with these thoughts. 1] The Cap does not allow Peter to use Providence skills as a threat. He needs to address this going forward. 2] The new line combinations need some consistent action:: Savvy needs Horton to hustle every game, and he needs Claude to give Looch his head to respond; Kreji needs Ryder to participate every game, and Wheels to build on his improvement [ actually love to see Ryder traded and replaced with Arneil] Bergie's line will never perform optimally as long as Recchi continues his decline. Caron as a replacement for Recchi would really help, although Marchand is also a possibility; Campbell's line does not need Thornton. A more skilled player would increase their results. On defense Chara needs to become more consistent in controlling the puck, making better passes, and moving the puck quickly; Boychuck is what he is; Seids and Kamfer are a good duo; As NAS says, Ference is better this year, so far; McQuaid is fairly solid as a defensive defenseman; Stuart is coming back and could foster some kind of trade of Boychuck, Stuart, Ference; or a rotation of existing players.  Tuuka needs more starts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The cap will probably go up next year, without Sturm, and with Chara's cap hit being lowered, and Bergeron's staying about the same, and Savards being lower than two years ago that's effectively more of an increase.

Boychuck I'll take and keep happily, he's a strong #3 defenseman, and possibly a weak #2. The difference between Ference 2010-11 and previous seasons is healthy. This is probably about the longest stretch of games he's played without injury since he arrived. We he first landed in that spate of trades that brought in him Ward & Brad Stuart I thought he might be the best defensively of of the three.

D Seids is essentially a mirror image of Boychuck in the offensive/defensive game but about the same level as a total package.

As for the fourth line... why do people insist on fixing what ain't broke? You talk about cap problems then want to make the solution more expensive than the non problem you have. Between them, Campbell, Marchand, Thornton have 14 G 12A 26p and +11 for a cap hit of $2,734,000. That's more goals, more assits, and a +/1 25 higher than Phil Kessel at half the price, and that's with the ability to kill penalties, win faceoffs, pound idiots to shrapnel, and spend money on the other three lines, 3 pairs and two goalies.

Ryder isn't my favorite player by any stretch, but he's still third in goal scoring on the team this year and has played 3rd and 4th line minutes where as the top two guys have had first line minutes regardless of who their center was.

[QUOTE]There are two problems with these thoughts. 1] The Cap does not allow Peter to use Providence skills as a threat. He needs to address this going forward. 2] The new line combinations need some consistent action:: Savvy needs Horton to hustle every game, and he needs Claude to give Looch his head to respond; Kreji needs Ryder to participate every game, and Wheels to build on his improvement [ actually love to see Ryder traded and replaced with Arneil] Bergie's line will never perform optimally as long as Recchi continues his decline. Caron as a replacement for Recchi would really help, although Marchand is also a possibility; Campbell's line does not need Thornton. A more skilled player would increase their results. On defense Chara needs to become more consistent in controlling the puck, making better passes, and moving the puck quickly; Boychuck is what he is; Seids and Kamfer are a good duo; As NAS says, Ference is better this year, so far; McQuaid is fairly solid as a defensive defenseman; Stuart is coming back and could foster some kind of trade of Boychuck, Stuart, Ference; or a rotation of existing players.  Tuuka needs more starts
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

How many times have you see someone take serious liberties with a teammate when he's on the ice?

Also don't forget he's 3rd in SHTOI for the B's so he has to be at least a little sane about going crazy....

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too many nice guys : I think Stuart is a "Take All Comers" guy, and will swing first at an attacker, but I don't recall ever seeing him go mad and be on the attack a la Ference.  He'll fight his fight until the fight ends, unlike Thornton, who will fight his fight until Colton Orr's jersey goes over his head, and then tell the refs to stop the fight so Orr doesn't get hurt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]How many times have you see someone take serious liberties with a teammate when he's on the ice? Also don't forget he's 3rd in SHTOI for the B's so he has to be at least a little sane about going crazy.... In Response to Re: Too many nice guys :

1.  I am a huge Mark Stuart fan, have been since Day One.

2.  How many times do any players take any "serious liberties" in today's NHL?  The game is so squeaky clean these days that we can name all of the dirty players on two hands. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivvak. Show kivvak's posts

The Bruins lack of character comes from the top. You have a 7 mill a year captain that shows emotion in about one out of every ten games, and a coach that does not let his team retaliate. How many times have you heard the company line from players in those games. " the rules today don't allow frontier justice we need to worry about gettint the two points." Until we have true emotional leadership at the top we will continue to be a one or to round playoff team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I don't think it's quite as squeaky clean as you do. Even allowing for the dozen plus teams I don't see too often, I can name at good half dozen dirty players without trying: Avery, Ott, TooToo, M Richards, M Komisarek, Orr, M Brown, S Crosby.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too many nice guys : 1.  I am a huge Mark Stuart fan, have been since Day One. 2.  How many times do any players take any "serious liberties" in today's NHL?  The game is so squeaky clean these days that we can name all of the dirty players on two hands. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it's quite as squeaky clean as you do. Even allowing for the dozen plus teams I don't see too often, I can name at good half dozen dirty players without trying: Avery, Ott, TooToo, M Richards, M Komisarek, Orr, M Brown, S Crosby. In Response to Re: Too many nice guys :
    You may not like all of Crosby's game but dirty is a stretch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it's quite as squeaky clean as you do. Even allowing for the dozen plus teams I don't see too often, I can name at good half dozen dirty players without trying: Avery, Ott, TooToo, M Richards, M Komisarek, Orr, M Brown, S Crosby. In Response to Re: Too many nice guys :

I think I define things a little differently.  I think there is cheap and there is dirty.  Cheap is butt ends, punches in the corners, pest moves.  Dirty is the slew foot, hits from behind, hard slashes, knee on knee...stuff that can put a guy out for a while.

The guys you've listed there make my cheap list, but don't get labeled as dirty to me.  And none of them have much worry about Shawn Thornton.  If they don't want to get punched in the face by him, they just have to decline his polite offer of a gentleman's match. 

Sections
Shortcuts