Top 30 Bruins of All Time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Top 30 Bruins of All Time?

Really, this will be weighted to the last 90 years or so.

Sportsnet did this in magazine form for the Laffs.  Ron Ellis #1 (good call), Armstrong, Salming, Sittler and Sundin rounding out the top ten.  Gilmour and Clark in the 'teens (short timers).  Lots of guys like Apps and Connacher and Kennedy.  Not a lot of recent glory....

Fun to do this with the Bruins?

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Schmidt

4 - Shore

5 - Esposito

6 - Neely

7 - Middleton

8 - Bucyk

9 - Cheevers

10 - O'Reilly

Now it starts to get dicey.  Am I missing anyone from "the Pantheon"?  Guys like Hitchman and Clapper had their numbers retired, and probably belong on here somewhere, but they aren't in this group.  Same with Cashman and Hodge - they're on the list but how high?  And where do you put some of the more recent players like Thornton (ugh) or Bergeron or TT?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Top 30 Bruins of All Time?

Is Borque #2 just because he played when most of us were alive? I know he's in top 5, but didn't someone like Eddie Shore actually redefine the position at the time he was playing? All lists will be prjudicially weighted towards the present, I'd guess. I don't really know if Dit Clapper should be # 7 or # 15? Of current players I'd think Chara and TT would both be in all-time top 20.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Sportsnet did this in magazine form for the Laffs.  Ron Ellis #1 (good call), Armstrong, Salming, Sittler and Sundin rounding out the top ten.  Gilmour and Clark in the 'teens (short timers).  Lots of guys like Apps and Connacher and Kennedy.  Not a lot of recent glory....

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Schmidt

4 - Shore

5 - Esposito

6 - Neely

7 - Middleton

8 - Bucyk

9 - Cheevers

10 - O'Reilly

Now it starts to get dicey.  Am I missing anyone from "the Pantheon"?  Guys like Hitchman and Clapper had their numbers retired, and probably belong on here somewhere, but they aren't in this group.  Same with Cashman and Hodge - they're on the list but how high?  And where do you put some of the more recent players like Thornton (ugh) or Bergeron or TT?

It's funny. Growing up we use to call Ronny Ellis, "Almost Ellis" for all the times he almost scored. I still don't know how he got to be considered such a Star. Good player yes, but doesn't make my Leaf list. 

My Top 10 Fav list.

Orr (I could put that 10 times, but it's too obvious)

Bourque

Neely

Esposito

Middleton

TT

Chara

ORielly

Jonathan

Cheevers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No way O'Reilly, Cheevers, and Middleton should be ranked ahead of Clapper, Hitchman, Cowley and Thompson. That's my opinion at least - not giving the old guys their due.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

Is Borque #2 just because he played when most of us were alive? I know he's in top 5, but didn't someone like Eddie Shore actually redefine the position at the time he was playing? All lists will be prjudicially weighted towards the present, I'd guess. I don't really know if Dit Clapper should be # 7 or # 15? Of current players I'd think Chara and TT would both be in all-time top 20.

I'd put Bourque there because I believe he was instrumental in the Bruins finally beating the schabs in the playoffs. Those first 2 games of that series, Ray was unbelievably amazing. He went back to just superb after that and Cam sort of took over, as I remember it. After 19 str8 playoff series losses to them, he deserves big credit.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'd go

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Shore

4 - Schmidt

5 - Esposito

6 - Bucyk

7 - Clapper

8 - Neely

9 - Hitchman

10 - Cowley

Cowley is the tough one, I could see putting him much higher, even top 5. The guy retired as the all-time leading scorer for the NHL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Brad Park

Adam Oates

Can't think of too many others.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

1 - Bourque

2 - Neely

3 - Espo

4 - Park

5 - Middleton

6 - Bucyk

7 - Cheevers

8 - O'Reilly

9 - Schmidt

10 - Thomas

And before everyone takes the big one,because there's a name not on here... and I quote what Bobby Hull said to me. "Bobby Orr doesn't belong on any list, because there is no list....He's all by himself!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I'd go

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Shore

4 - Schmidt

5 - Esposito

6 - Bucyk

7 - Clapper

8 - Neely

9 - Hitchman

10 - Cowley

Cowley is the tough one, I could see putting him much higher, even top 5. The guy retired as the all-time leading scorer for the NHL.

I appreciate giving props to the old guys Red, but it's hard to put them on a list when you have ever seen them play to appreciate their skills. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I'd go

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Shore

4 - Schmidt

5 - Esposito

6 - Bucyk

7 - Clapper

8 - Neely

9 - Hitchman

10 - Cowley

I appreciate giving props to the old guys Red, but it's hard to put them on a list when you have ever seen them play to appreciate their skills. 

And there isn't much video...if any to see either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Schmidt

4 - Shore

5 - Esposito

6 - Neely

7 - Middleton

8 - Bucyk

9 - Cheevers

10 - O'Reilly

I'd maybe add in Thompson since his numbers were so off-the-charts for so long. O'Reilly gets bumped. Otherwise the names for me are the same - but different order:

1 – Orr

2 – Bourque

3 – Bucyk

4 – Thompson

5 – Esposito

6 – Schmidt

7 – Middleton

8 – Neely

9 - Cheevers

10 - Shore

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I'd put Bourque there because I believe he was instrumental in the Bruins finally beating the schabs in the playoffs. Those first 2 games of that series, Ray was unbelievably amazing. He went back to just superb after that and Cam sort of took over, as I remember it. After 19 str8 playoff series losses to them, he deserves big credit.  

Understood and agree with you...Borque is right up there, but I've watched hundred and hundreds of hours of Ray Borque playing, so I have no choice but to be biased. I'd venture no one on this board ever saw Shore play, we only have stories and stats. I'm just noting that without having seen him (outside of 3 secs of grainy film) that I can say with certainty that Shore was any more or less "great" than Ray Borque. In the case of Clapper, Schmidt, Hitchman, et al. we only have anecdotal evidence of how important they were to the franchise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Understood and agree with you...Borque is right up there, but I've watched hundred and hundreds of hours of Ray Borque playing, so I have no choice but to be biased. I'd venture no one on this board ever saw Shore play, we only have stories and stats. I'm just noting that without having seen him (outside of 3 secs of grainy film) that I can say with certainty that Shore was any more or less "great" than Ray Borque. In the case of Clapper, Schmidt, Hitchman, et al. we only have anecdotal evidence of how important they were to the franchise.

But you can still look at the numbers and the championships. Seriously even if we never saw him play when a player retires as the greatest scorer in NHL history (up to that time) it seems tough to ignore him. Cowley once grabbed 71 points in 36 games. Only Lemieux and Gretzky have averaged more points per game over a season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I really can only judge what I've seen. Never seen Orr, Schmidt etc..can watch highlights, old game tapes, but for me, you have to watch it in the moment to make a true judgement. I like to watch a player then see him live before I make an assesment. Thats just me. If some do it the other way, more power to you. Look forward to the list of players by people who have actually seen certain players.Anyways,heres mine: I started watching in mid 80's, never missed a game and went to a ton of games in late 80's til a few years ago. Now I just go to a few but still watch every game...So heres one idiots list of 10 on what I've seen:

1. Cam Neely

2. Ray Bourque

3. Adam Oates

4. Tim Thomas

5. Joe Thornton

6. Rick Middleton

7. Keith Crowder

8. Patrice Bergeron

9. Byron Dafoe

10. Sergei Samsonov

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Thats kind of my point, Red. I know Eddie Shore was an amazing player, but my view of him, although not entirely subjective, can never really truly be measured in my mind's eye the way I can quantify Ray Borques or Bobby Orr's careers. Stats really only tell part of the story.

To use the NFL as an example, if you polled Packers fans on the best players in franchise history it would not surprise me if Donald Driver came in before Don Hutson.

I'm just saying that it is hard to make a fair assessment of players prior to the age of television.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

O'Reilly is a joke to be on these lists, or at least - at least - if you're going to mention O'Reilly, then you should mention Cashman.  

I'll be honest, it sickens me when people talk about O'Reilly ahead of the other Bruins HOF players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

here's an interesting question. what current bruins have a chance at making it into the top bruins of all time discussion. Of course, the players I mentioned might not have worked their way there yet, but have the potential to do so. 

1. Patrice Bergeron - Obviously he has the talent to do this. I really have the feeling that Bergeron winds up playing 20 seasons with the Bruins, and serves as captain for many of them.

2. Tyler Seguin - he's just scratched the surface of his talent. He could be a 50 goal scorer for years to come.

3. Milan Lucic - I don't think he makes the list. But if he takes the next step and turns into a 35-35 100PIM kinda player for a long time then who knows. 

4. Zdeno Chara - I think he's a given to be on that list. 

5. Dougie Hamilton - who knows, but it could certainly happen.

6. Carl Soderberg - Sinch to make this list once he comes over to NA.

7. Tuukka Rask - He still has to prove that he can handle the starters role, but teh talent is there.

8. Anton Khudobin - best goalie in the NHL. period. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

here's an interesting question. what current bruins have a chance at making it into the top bruins of all time discussion. Of course, the players I mentioned might not have worked their way there yet, but have the potential to do so. 

1. Patrice Bergeron - Obviously he has the talent to do this. I really have the feeling that Bergeron winds up playing 20 seasons with the Bruins, and serves as captain for many of them.

2. Tyler Seguin - he's just scratched the surface of his talent. He could be a 50 goal scorer for years to come.

3. Milan Lucic - I don't think he makes the list. But if he takes the next step and turns into a 35-35 100PIM kinda player for a long time then who knows. 

7. Tuukka Rask - He still has to prove that he can handle the starters role, but teh talent is there.

Tuuka has to prove that he can handle the starters role but you have Anton and his handful of games as the best in the NHL period.

Interesting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I get all the arguments to not include the old guys, but if you're using that criteria as reasons to exclude these players, then don't call it All-time, and you shouldn't be including Shore and Schmidt either. Call it Best of the TV era.

And for a comparison, when THN did their 100 best players of all time list the Bruins that made it were

2.Orr

10.Shore

14. Bourque

18. Esposito

28. Schmidt

41. Clapper

45. Bucyk

49. Park

53. Cowley

67. Brimsek

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Tuuka has to prove that he can handle the starters role but you have Anton and his handful of games as the best in the NHL period.

Interesting.

have you ever read this poster stanleycuptothebruins? he always says that Khudo is amazing...ya it was a joke

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I'd go

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Shore

4 - Schmidt

5 - Esposito

6 - Bucyk

7 - Clapper

8 - Neely

9 - Hitchman

10 - Cowley

A logical comment with any sort of list. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Interesting.

have you ever read this poster stanleycuptothebruins? he always says that Khudo is amazing...ya it was a joke

I figured as much, and I try not to read his posts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I get all the arguments to not include the old guys, but if you're using that criteria as reasons to exclude these players, then don't call it All-time, and you shouldn't be including Shore and Schmidt either. Call it Best of the TV era.

And for a comparison, when THN did their 100 best players of all time list the Bruins that made it were

2.Orr

10.Shore

14. Bourque

18. Esposito

28. Schmidt

41. Clapper

45. Bucyk

49. Park

53. Cowley

67. Brimsek

Yea & Bobby Hull said the list was BS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

He said Orr didn't belong on it. lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

2.Orr

10.Shore

14. Bourque

18. Esposito

28. Schmidt

41. Clapper

45. Bucyk

49. Park

53. Cowley

67. Brimsek

See, that a case in point. The experts over at TSN have Shore above Borque yet no one here does. They're all subjective.