Top 30 Bruins of All Time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Top 30 Bruins of All Time?

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

O'Reilly is a joke to be on these lists, or at least - at least - if you're going to mention O'Reilly, then you should mention Cashman.  I'll be honest, it sickens me when people talk about O'Reilly ahead of the other Bruins HOF players.

Ok here goes why ?

1 Orr

2 Bourque

3 Schmidt

4 Neely

5 Esposito

6 Shore

7 Middleton

8 O'Reilly

9 Klapper

10 Thomas

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

red - I tend to forget Cowley, but then, it seems like the organization has mostly forgotten him.  Lots of reasons to say objectively that he has to be there - leading scorer on two Cup teams (though he was out for most of the second playoffs and Schmidt was the one who drove the bus), top 10 scorer in 6/7 years including one scoring title by a mile and missing a second by a point.  That has to make him one of the best of his generation, doesn't it?  If I told you Seguin would be a top ten scorer for six of the next seven seasons, win one scoring title (no Bruin has done it since Orr in 74-75 - and if you say Thornton, someone should slap you), and lead the team to two Cups in that stretch - you'd probably make him a top 10 Bruin.

seo - I think even if you're talking objectively, you have to put Bourque at 2 or 3, even without Cups.  He's the franchise's leading scorer by almost 200 points - he had nearly 500 more points in a Bruin uniform than Espo.  Only Orr and Espo won more major trophies in Bruins history, and Bourque should have been the first defenseman since Orr to win the Hart (okay, that one isn't as objective as the others).  He took them to two Cup finals, and, yes, turned around the much despised string of playoff futility against the Scabs.  He was the gold standard at his position for more than a decade.

As for Shore - I put Schmidt above him because the man is still a Bruin.  He gets a bump from 4 for all he's done for the franchise as a player, manager, and ambassador.  If I take that out, I'd probably move Shore up.

I think Neely's impact was bigger than Clapper's or Hitchman's even with a short career. He re-defined a position.  Teams continue to draft Lucics and Camaras and Tom Wilsons and Mark McNeills and Zack Kassians because they're looking for the next Neely.  Middleton may be harder to defend, but I think comparing across eras, he and Clapper would be neck and neck.  Cheevers over Thomson - well, red, you didn't have Tiny in your top 10 either!  But I've always been a bit sceptical about the numbers for goalies in that era.  Not reasonable, probably.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

O'Reilly is a joke to be on these lists, or at least - at least - if you're going to mention O'Reilly, then you should mention Cashman.  I'll be honest, it sickens me when people talk about O'Reilly ahead of the other Bruins HOF players.

Ok here goes why ?

1 Orr

2 Bourque

3 Schmidt

4 Neely

5 Esposito

6 Shore

7 Middleton

8 O'Reilly

9 Klapper

10 Thomas

O'Reilly over: Cheevers, Cashman and Hodge are above O'Reilly in franchise all time scoring, Terry Sawchuk, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Adam Oates, Duamart and Bauer?  Not to mention - Johnny Bucyk?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I really can only judge what I've seen. Never seen Orr, Schmidt etc..can watch highlights, old game tapes, but for me, you have to watch it in the moment to make a true judgement. I like to watch a player then see him live before I make an assesment. Thats just me. If some do it the other way, more power to you. Look forward to the list of players by people who have actually seen certain players.Anyways,heres mine: I started watching in mid 80's, never missed a game and went to a ton of games in late 80's til a few years ago. Now I just go to a few but still watch every game...So heres one idiots list of 10 on what I've seen:

1. Cam Neely

2. Ray Bourque

3. Adam Oates

4. Tim Thomas

5. Joe Thornton

6. Rick Middleton

7. Keith Crowder

8. Patrice Bergeron

9. Byron Dafoe

10. Sergei Samsonov

I didn't see him live, but by all accounts of the people who are alive that played with him, against him & saw him. Isn't that enough for you? My only "real" time that I saw Orr was in the 74 play-offs & the 76 Canada Cup & it was enough for me! I was a Bobby Orr fan since I was "4", but I don't remember seeing him play then. My parents said I watched him & would go crazy everytime I saw him on TV. Matter of fact they told me that if I didn't go to sleep, they were calling Bobby Orr & say I was being bad. lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hodge was a pussbag that went around patting opposing players on the butt and becuase the Bruins had O'Reilly is why Ken got traded. Cheevers got yanked in crucial games late in the 70s in favor Gilbert, quite allot actually. Cashman had 77 more goals than O'reilly big deal. While O'Reilly was beating up Schultz in the minors and in the NHL, cashman would get his butt handed to him by Schoenfeld and Barber with consitencey.

"Terry Sawchuk, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Adam Oates, Duamart and Bauer?"

All split time between the Bruins and other teams that's why they didn't make allot of lists and not mine as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hodge was a pussbag that went around patting opposing players on the butt and becuase the Bruins had O'Reilly is why Ken got traded. Cheevers got yanked in crucial games late in the 70s in favor Gilbert, quite allot actually. Cashman had 77 more goals than O'reilly big deal. While O'Reilly was beating up Schultz in the minors and in the NHL, cashman would get his butt handed to him by Schoenfeld and Barber with consitencey.

All split time between the Bruins and other teams that's why they didn't make allot of lists and not mine as well.

And Bucyk?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And Bucyk?

I can only get so many in my top ten. Again it is not about offensive numbers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Bobby Orr (best hockey player of all time).                                                                          Shore                                                                                                                                 Phil Esposito                                                                                                                  Schmidt                                                                                                                               Tim Thomas                                                                                                                       Cam Neely                                                                                                                          Ray Bourque                                                                                                                       The Chief                                                                                                                           Rick Middleton                                                                                                                  Anton Khudobin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

here's an interesting question. what current bruins have a chance at making it into the top bruins of all time discussion. Of course, the players I mentioned might not have worked their way there yet, but have the potential to do so. 

1. Patrice Bergeron - Obviously he has the talent to do this. I really have the feeling that Bergeron winds up playing 20 seasons with the Bruins, and serves as captain for many of them.

2. Tyler Seguin - he's just scratched the surface of his talent. He could be a 50 goal scorer for years to come.

3. Milan Lucic - I don't think he makes the list. But if he takes the next step and turns into a 35-35 100PIM kinda player for a long time then who knows. 

4. Zdeno Chara - I think he's a given to be on that list. 

5. Dougie Hamilton - who knows, but it could certainly happen.

6. Carl Soderberg - Sinch to make this list once he comes over to NA.

7. Tuukka Rask - He still has to prove that he can handle the starters role, but teh talent is there.

8. Anton Khudobin - best goalie in the NHL. period. 

I like you bostonfan ! , !     You also detected the geat talent we have in Khudo..COOL , !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

red - I tend to forget Cowley, but then, it seems like the organization has mostly forgotten him.  Lots of reasons to say objectively that he has to be there - leading scorer on two Cup teams (though he was out for most of the second playoffs and Schmidt was the one who drove the bus), top 10 scorer in 6/7 years including one scoring title by a mile and missing a second by a point.  That has to make him one of the best of his generation, doesn't it?  If I told you Seguin would be a top ten scorer for six of the next seven seasons, win one scoring title (no Bruin has done it since Orr in 74-75 - and if you say Thornton, someone should slap you), and lead the team to two Cups in that stretch - you'd probably make him a top 10 Bruin.

seo - I think even if you're talking objectively, you have to put Bourque at 2 or 3, even without Cups.  He's the franchise's leading scorer by almost 200 points - he had nearly 500 more points in a Bruin uniform than Espo.  Only Orr and Espo won more major trophies in Bruins history, and Bourque should have been the first defenseman since Orr to win the Hart (okay, that one isn't as objective as the others).  He took them to two Cup finals, and, yes, turned around the much despised string of playoff futility against the Scabs.  He was the gold standard at his position for more than a decade.

As for Shore - I put Schmidt above him because the man is still a Bruin.  He gets a bump from 4 for all he's done for the franchise as a player, manager, and ambassador.  If I take that out, I'd probably move Shore up.

I think Neely's impact was bigger than Clapper's or Hitchman's even with a short career. He re-defined a position.  Teams continue to draft Lucics and Camaras and Tom Wilsons and Mark McNeills and Zack Kassians because they're looking for the next Neely.  Middleton may be harder to defend, but I think comparing across eras, he and Clapper would be neck and neck.  Cheevers over Thomson - well, red, you didn't have Tiny in your top 10 either!  But I've always been a bit sceptical about the numbers for goalies in that era.  Not reasonable, probably.

Thanks for the backup Book. I really think Cowley is the Bruins forgotten superstar. A true blue Bruin and an HHOFer that no one seems to recognize.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Really, this will be weighted to the last 90 years or so.

Sportsnet did this in magazine form for the Laffs.  Ron Ellis #1 (good call), Armstrong, Salming, Sittler and Sundin rounding out the top ten.  Gilmour and Clark in the 'teens (short timers).  Lots of guys like Apps and Connacher and Kennedy.  Not a lot of recent glory....

Fun to do this with the Bruins?

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Schmidt

4 - Shore

5 - Esposito

6 - Neely

7 - Middleton

8 - Bucyk

9 - Cheevers

10 - O'Reilly

Now it starts to get dicey.  Am I missing anyone from "the Pantheon"?  Guys like Hitchman and Clapper had their numbers retired, and probably belong on here somewhere, but they aren't in this group.  Same with Cashman and Hodge - they're on the list but how high?  And where do you put some of the more recent players like Thornton (ugh) or Bergeron or TT?

I am very shocked that no one mention one of boston's best goalie of all times.

Tiny Thompson, HOF 1959, (4) vezina's, 2 1st allstar selection, SC 1929, 1928-1929 GA 1.15 and 81 career SO's not all with the Bruins

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

My selection would be in this order:

Bobby Orr

Tiny Thompson

Milt Schmidt

Eddie Shore

The Chief

Ray Bourque

Terry O'Rielly

Cam Neely

Phil Esposito

Gerry Cheevers

My best short term Bruin will be Al Secord

The present best Bruin is Bergeron

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Thanks for the backup Book. I really think Cowley is the Bruins forgotten superstar. A true blue Bruin and an HHOFer that no one seems to recognize.

Far from a hockey historian, but I wonder how much "the war years" production hurt the perception of Cowley.

Average season from 1939-42: 41gp 11-32-43

Average from 1942-45: 44gp 27-42-69 (61% increase in production)

Schmidt, Bauer and Dumart, as well as, other NHLers served in the military during those years.

2009 THN article on top-10 Hockey War Vets

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/29259-THNcom-Top-10-Hockey-war-veterans.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

In response to red75's comment:

Far from a hockey historian, but I wonder how much "the war years" production hurt the perception of Cowley.

Average season from 1939-42: 41gp 11-32-43

Average from 1942-45: 44gp 27-42-69 (61% increase in production)

Schmidt, Bauer and Dumart, as well as, other NHLers served in the military during those years.

2009 THN article on top-10 Hockey War Vets

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/29259-THNcom-Top-10-Hockey-war-veterans.html

The War did put some pro athletes on temporary hold, that could of put up some amazing numbers. Not just the NHL but MLB also.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I  would sneak Derek Sanderson into my Top 30 somewhere. He was the best penalty-killer I ever saw. Not only could he kill penalties but he scored lots of short-handed goals doing it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to trouts' comment:

I  would sneak Derek Sanderson into my Top 30 somewhere. He was the best penalty-killer I ever saw. Not only could he kill penalties but he scored lots of short-handed goals doing it.

Most definitely.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Agree on Sanderson, for sure.  We can shuffle deck chairs on 2-12 or 13 all day, but it's that next 17 where you have to start to ask more difficult questions, like what to do with Dumart, or Cooney Weiland who won cups as both a player and a Coach and led the league in scoring by 11 points one year (never close to that total again).  When you try to focus on guys who played their best hockey and most of their hockey in Boston, the list shortens quickly - especially if you want guys who had a longer career than, say, Thomas.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

O'Reilly is a joke to be on these lists, or at least - at least - if you're going to mention O'Reilly, then you should mention Cashman.  

I'll be honest, it sickens me when people talk about O'Reilly ahead of the other Bruins HOF players.

O'Reilly had 90 points in 77-78. That's no joke. I'm glad it sickens you. It's a well deserved sickening.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

O'Reilly is a joke to be on these lists, or at least - at least - if you're going to mention O'Reilly, then you should mention Cashman.  

I'll be honest, it sickens me when people talk about O'Reilly ahead of the other Bruins HOF players.

O'Reilly had 90 points in 77-78. That's no joke. I'm glad it sickens you. It's a well deserved sickening.

It sickens me that he gets sickened overall O'Reilly. When I think of lunch bucket Bruins he's at the top of my list. 

How can any "normal" Bruin fan not like O'Reilly as one of the top Bruins of all-time ? Answer : "         "

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

It sickens me that he gets sickened overall O'Reilly. When I think of lunch bucket Bruins he's at the top of my list. 

How can any "normal" Bruin fan not like O'Reilly as one of the top Bruins of all-time ? Answer : "         "

Agree.  Taz is worthy of being on any Bruins top-player list.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Agree.  Taz is worthy of being on any Bruins top-player list.

Best player ever controlling the puck along the boards with his feet. He owned the puck when doing this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I grew up idolizing O'Reilly. As much as I also liked Neely I've always felt it was unfair to O'Reilly that Cam gets the recognition as the games first true power forward. I mean, if O'Reilly wasn't a power forward then what the hell was he? That era had some real gamers. Taz fought plenty of tough dudes and won most of the time. He also was a safe bet to score in the 20 goal range to boot. What's not to love right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Really, this will be weighted to the last 90 years or so.

Sportsnet did this in magazine form for the Laffs.  Ron Ellis #1 (good call), Armstrong, Salming, Sittler and Sundin rounding out the top ten.  Gilmour and Clark in the 'teens (short timers).  Lots of guys like Apps and Connacher and Kennedy.  Not a lot of recent glory....

Fun to do this with the Bruins?

1 - Orr

2 - Bourque

3 - Schmidt

4 - Shore

5 - Esposito

6 - Neely

7 - Middleton

8 - Bucyk

9 - Cheevers

10 - O'Reilly

Now it starts to get dicey.  Am I missing anyone from "the Pantheon"?  Guys like Hitchman and Clapper had their numbers retired, and probably belong on here somewhere, but they aren't in this group.  Same with Cashman and Hodge - they're on the list but how high?  And where do you put some of the more recent players like Thornton (ugh) or Bergeron or TT?

I am very shocked that no one mention one of boston's best goalie of all times.

Tiny Thompson, HOF 1959, (4) vezina's, 2 1st allstar selection, SC 1929, 1928-1929 GA 1.15 and 81 career SO's not all with the Bruins

Had him 4th. I was surprised too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Top Bruins of All-Time? I have to preface this by saying I never saw Eddie Shore, Tiny Thompson, Clapper, Schmidt, Dumart, etc. So I'm going with players that I first grew up watching until today:
    1  Bobby Orr...best player ever
    2. Ray Bourque...most iconic B ever, stabilized the franchise for a lot of years
    3. Phil Esposito...best B's goal scorer ever
    4. Johnny Bucyk...most respected B
    5. Rick Middleton...most flamboyant in forward style of play
    6. Cam Neely..best power forward of all-time
    7. Tim Thomas...best  B's goalie I've ever seen
    8. Gerry Cheevers...money goalie when it counted, one of my favorites ever
    9. Zdeno Chara...deserves to be on this top 10
    10. Terry O'Reilly
    11. Joe Thornton
    12. Adam Oates, best passing forward I've ever seen in a B's jersey
    13. Derek Sanderson
    14. Wayne Cashman
    15. Pete Peeters...best season I've seen from a goalie during the high-scoring era
    16. Ken Hodge
    17. Keith Crowder
    18. Don Marcotte, one of the most underated forecheckers
    19. Marc Savard, see Adam Oates
    20. Glen Wesley
    21. Patrice Bergeron, a great all-around player, best faceoff guy maybe in team history
    22. Brad Park
    23. Byron Dafoe
    24. Dallas Smith and Rick Smith (I can't separate the two)
    25. Jason Allison
    26. Dennis Seidenberg
    27. Ken Linseman
    28. Jean Ratelle
    29. Barry Pederson
    30. Steve Kasper, Gretzky's Ghost

Sections
Shortcuts