Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens)

Tyler Seguin
    Benoit Pouliot
    Tuuka Rask
    Andew Ferrence
    Shawn Thornton

I have watched the whole game on TSN and believe me Pouliot is much stronger than last year , worked really hard on the boards and his skating is better as well if he plays like that all year long he will quickly become one of the fan's favorite player ....Seguin looked like a man among the kids ...Bergeron was really not impressive last night was still on the Stanley cup celebrations ???   ..Without Rask the B's would have lost something like 4 or 5 to 1 ....Ferrence very good and Thornton was trying to wake up his teamates ....Spooner fast skater but not ready yet for the NHL ...Caron so so ....other than McQuaid who played a fair game ...nothing to mention .....but Pouliot : I am very happy with I've seen from him ..overall I give the team a 4/10 for that game ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens)

Right on with everything Stanley except the without Rask part. You think TT couldn't get it done like that?

Bergeron was not in regular season form, but that probably has a lot to do with the inexperience around him and him trying to compensate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens):
    Right on with everything Stanley except the without Rask part. You think TT couldn't get it done like that? Bergeron was not in regular season form, but that probably has a lot to do with the inexperience around him and him trying to compensate.
    Posted by lambda13

The point isnt thomas couldnt have done it, more that the bruins really werent that solid, rask stopped quality chances...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Makes sense. I see what you mean. He did play very well, just was confused because I thought Stanley liked TT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I thought Seguin was good but he had lulls in his game.  I would like to see him a little more consistent shift to shift.  It was the first exhibition game and there was talk he wasn't feeling well.  Also he was playing with Arniel who seemed to have no idea.  All in all a decent first outing. 

Rask was great and I like his coolness but I would still like to see him battle a little more.  You think he might get a little bit of that attitude from watching Timmy all the time.  On the first goal where he was screened it seems Tuuka just accepts that he is screened and plays percentages, squares himself and makes himself as big as he can and hopes the puck hits him.  Timmy will be straining to see the puck or try to push the guy a bit and he just seems to battle to try and see the puck so he can stop it.  Again I love the coolness of Rask and his technical and athletic ability, but I think with a little more tendancy to battle, he will become a star.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens):
    Tyler Seguin Benoit Pouliot Tuuka Rask Andew Ferrence Shawn Thornton I have watched the whole game on TSN and believe me Pouliot is much stronger than last year , worked really hard on the boards and his skating is better as well if he plays like that all year long he will quickly become one of the fan's favorite player ....Seguin looked like a man among the kids ...Bergeron was really not impressive last night was still on the Stanley cup celebrations ???   ..Without Rask the B's would have lost something like 4 or 5 to 1 ....Ferrence very good and Thornton was trying to wake up his teamates ....Spooner fast skater but not ready yet for the NHL ...Caron so so ....other than McQuaid who played a fair game ...nothing to mention .....but Pouliot : I am very happy with I've seen from him ..overall I give the team a 4/10 for that game .... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Stanley, where do I begin? Seguin showed flashes but was far from dominant. Ference was OK at best(Cohen played better). Thornton and Rask were both as solid as you've claimed. Caron played the exact game that CJ is looking for from him. Spooner is indeed ready for the NHL if not for his trying to crack the roster of the Stanley Cup champs. McQuaid was decent but far from his playoff form. Finally, Pouliot was so-so at best. He looked like he could be a serviceable 3rd liner but not like a guy competing for top 6 ice-time. McDermid should've been top 5 from last night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Link?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Yeah, Spooner looks really confident and fast out there

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Rask was great and I like his coolness but I would still like to see him battle a little more.  You think he might get a little bit of that attitude from watching Timmy all the time.  On the first goal where he was screened it seems Tuuka just accepts that he is screened and plays percentages, squares himself and makes himself as big as he can and hopes the puck hits him.  Timmy will be straining to see the puck or try to push the guy a bit and he just seems to battle to try and see the puck so he can stop it.  Again I love the coolness of Rask and his technical and athletic ability, but I think with a little more tendancy to battle, he will become a star.
    Posted by huntbri

There's no reason for Rask to try to imitate Thomas.  Their styles could not be more different, and trying to shoehorn every Boston goalie into a "Battlefly" style because of last year's playoffs will get old in a hurry.

Plenty of "battling" goalies find themselves out of position. And, there's an awful long list of very successful NHL goalies who play that style of Rask's that you described. 

Just as Thomas rejected calls for him to be less aggressive after the OT Vancouver goal, I'd expect Rask to continue to do what he does well and not try to look like someone else.

I'd like to see Rask get judged as a professional goalie, not have to fit into the fans' memory of a Stanley Cup winner.  Cups have been won with a number of styles, sometimes on the same team. Billy Smith/Chico Resch come to mind. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I just watched the game on NHL live, and my view was somewhat different Stanley. First, Ottowa played mostly their starting line-up with Phillips and Gonchar etc. on defense. They did play a number of kids up front. The Bruins played Ference[ not yet ready] and McQuaid[ not too bad]. I also thought that Cohen played better than Ference, and Barkowski seemed to be faster and more agressive. Hamilton showed why he went at #8, but definitely back to Juniors. Up front Thornton was visible only because Clark,Tardif,and even Kelly were not. Spooner and Sauve both showed great wheels, but back to Juniors for Spooner, and AHL for Sauve. If you compare Caron with Thornton, Caron wins hands down, but I was not as impressed as Stanley with Pouliot. Pouliot is good size and can skate, but seemed to be confused with Claude's system. In addition, Seguin played quite well, handles the puck well, faster than last year, still has great hands and his passes are on the money. In another thread it was mentioned that Kelly could be moved, but Clark does not appear to be a replacement, and his prior injuries may have made today's game too fast for his aging body. Arneil was better than some of the others, but, looks like he needs more time to get used to Seguin or Bergeron's quicker moves. Bergie looked like he was trying to help Pouliot and Tardif more than he was trying to score.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Didn't even look at the vets not interested at this point but I thought Rask stood out amongst the regulars.

Spooner, Caron, Arniel, Bartkowski and Cohen stood out from what I saw. First couple of pre-season games are always sloppy, last night was no exception.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I just watched the game on NHL live, and my view was somewhat different Stanley. First, Ottowa played mostly their starting line-up with Phillips and Gonchar etc. on defense. They did play a number of kids up front. The Bruins played Ference[ not yet ready] and McQuaid[ not too bad]. I also thought that Cohen played better than Ference, and Barkowski seemed to be faster and more agressive. Hamilton showed why he went at #8, but definitely back to Juniors. Up front Thornton was visible only because Clark,Tardif,and even Kelly were not. Spooner and Sauve both showed great wheels, but back to Juniors for Spooner, and AHL for Sauve. If you compare Caron with Thornton, Caron wins hands down, but I was not as impressed as Stanley with Pouliot. Pouliot is good size and can skate, but seemed to be confused with Claude's system. In addition, Seguin played quite well, handles the puck well, faster than last year, still has great hands and his passes are on the money. In another thread it was mentioned that Kelly could be moved, but Clark does not appear to be a replacement, and his prior injuries may have made today's game too fast for his aging body. Arneil was better than some of the others, but, looks like he needs more time to get used to Seguin or Bergeron's quicker moves. Bergie looked like he was trying to help Pouliot and Tardif more than he was trying to score.
    Posted by bogie6

Arniel was flying out there but seemed to be without a purpose. He seemed to zip around while getting nothing accomplished. He did show some real jump in his step though. He's definitely improved since I last saw him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

I thought Seguin was good but he had lulls in his game.  I would like to see him a little more consistent shift to shift.  It was the first exhibition game and there was talk he wasn't feeling well.  Also he was playing with Arniel who seemed to have no idea.  All in all a decent first outing.  Rask was great and I like his coolness but I would still like to see him battle a little more.  You think he might get a little bit of that attitude from watching Timmy all the time.  On the first goal where he was screened it seems Tuuka just accepts that he is screened and plays percentages, squares himself and makes himself as big as he can and hopes the puck hits him.  Timmy will be straining to see the puck or try to push the guy a bit and he just seems to battle to try and see the puck so he can stop it.  Again I love the coolness of Rask and his technical and athletic ability, but I think with a little more tendancy to battle, he will become a star.
    Posted by huntbri

Huntbri, as a goalie I have to say something about this.  When you're screened, that's EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.  You're supposed to cut down the angle, square to the shooter, and make yourself big, because if you don't get a look at it, the percentages are going to be what enables you to make that save.  I see your point about battling and moving people out of the way, but a lot of times that effort to move someone or to move around someone takes you out of position and you get burned.    I've seen Timmy get burned on numerous occasions trying to "do too much" when he's screened.  Most of the time being conservative and relying on your fundamentals is best in those situations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Posted by bogie6

Is ference (not yet ready) a typo?? 

He's like a 9 year vet at this point and well be top 4 in all likelihood

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens) : Is ference (not yet ready) a typo??  He's like a 9 year vet at this point and well be top 4 in all likelihood
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I just think he saw the same pre-season rust in Ference's game that I saw. I'm sure he didn't mean Ference wasn't ready to make the Bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Veterans aren't fighting for a spot though, as much as they are using games to work on certain aspects (condintioning etc).. He could very easily have just been working on "stretching the pass" or something, and been making horrible turn overs from it etc (just making up a scenario, like i said i didnt see it).. But any of the guys who were full roster players last year will have spots this year unless someone comes out of no where..

Even seguin, he didn't need to dominate at all, he needs to wrk on areas he needs to work on in game situations, puck battles, corners.. etc..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Veterans aren't fighting for a spot though, as much as they are using games to work on certain aspects (condintioning etc).. He could very easily have just been working on "stretching the pass" or something, and been making horrible turn overs from it etc (just making up a scenario, like i said i didnt see it).. But any of the guys who were full roster players last year will have spots this year unless someone comes out of no where.. Even seguin, he didn't need to dominate at all, he needs to wrk on areas he needs to work on in game situations, puck battles, corners.. etc..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Agree entirely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens) : There's no reason for Rask to try to imitate Thomas.  Their styles could not be more different, and trying to shoehorn every Boston goalie into a "Battlefly" style because of last year's playoffs will get old in a hurry. Plenty of "battling" goalies find themselves out of position. And, there's an awful long list of very successful NHL goalies who play that style of Rask's that you described.  Just as Thomas rejected calls for him to be less aggressive after the OT Vancouver goal, I'd expect Rask to continue to do what he does well and not try to look like someone else. I'd like to see Rask get judged as a professional goalie, not have to fit into the fans' memory of a Stanley Cup winner.  Cups have been won with a number of styles, sometimes on the same team. Billy Smith/Chico Resch come to mind. 
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I definitely don't want him to imitate Thomas.  I just wondered if he could add a little bit of that battling mentality to his technical style.  You do make a good point however about sticking to what has made you successful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens) : Huntbri, as a goalie I have to say something about this.  When you're screened, that's EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.  You're supposed to cut down the angle, square to the shooter, and make yourself big, because if you don't get a look at it, the percentages are going to be what enables you to make that save.  I see your point about battling and moving people out of the way, but a lot of times that effort to move someone or to move around someone takes you out of position and you get burned.    I've seen Timmy get burned on numerous occasions trying to "do too much" when he's screened.  Most of the time being conservative and relying on your fundamentals is best in those situations.
    Posted by mb30

I always played out so I would have to defer to the goalie's opinion.  I guess as a fan I just like to see what looks to be a guy battling on every occasion.  Tuuka is probably battling just as hard but he does it in a more technical style (it makes it look like he is giving less effort), but for the most part I have to agree that he does it pretty effectively.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens) : I always played out so I would have to defer to the goalie's opinion.  I guess as a fan I just like to see what looks to be a guy battling on every occasion.  Tuuka is probably battling just as hard but he does it in a more technical style (it makes it look like he is giving less effort), but for the most part I have to agree that he does it pretty effectively.
    Posted by huntbri

History shows that the best goalies are USUALLY(timmy is a rare case) the ones that make it look easy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

i don't think that necessarily applies to just goalies, all good players make what they do seem effortless and easy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In Response to Top 5 players on the ice last night (against the Sens):
    Tyler Seguin Benoit Pouliot Tuuka Rask Andew Ferrence Shawn Thornton I have watched the whole game on TSN and believe me Pouliot is much stronger than last year , worked really hard on the boards and his skating is better as well if he plays like that all year long he will quickly become one of the fan's favorite player ....Seguin looked like a man among the kids ...Bergeron was really not impressive last night was still on the Stanley cup celebrations ???   ..Without Rask the B's would have lost something like 4 or 5 to 1 ....Ferrence very good and Thornton was trying to wake up his teamates ....Spooner fast skater but not ready yet for the NHL ...Caron so so ....other than McQuaid who played a fair game ...nothing to mention .....but Pouliot : I am very happy with I've seen from him ..overall I give the team a 4/10 for that game .... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

for such a big bruins fan, i thought you would know how to spell the players names

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Boston:

Rask
    Macdermid
    Bartkowski
    Cohen
    Thornton

Ottawa:

Cowen
    Zibanejad
    DaCosta
    Lee

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Tyler Seguin Benoit Pouliot Tuuka Rask Andew Ferrence Shawn Thornton Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

I don't know how we could have been watching the same game and had such different views! I thought Seguin and Pouliot were 2 of the worst skaters on the ice... looking lost and then over-skating to try and keep possession/positioning.

Rask was clearly the Bruins best. I would put Caron, Knight, Spooner and Ference after him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Didn't even look at the vets not interested at this point but I thought Rask stood out amongst the regulars. Spooner, Caron, Arniel, Bartkowski and Cohen stood out from what I saw. First couple of pre-season games are always sloppy, last night was no exception.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Agree. 
    The vets and that includes Seguin (yes now as cup winner) and Bergy now did not push themselves to the max.  They cannot risk injury. It's games like this that groins get pulled .The young kids, tryouts and P-Bruins have something to prove.
    You really can't take these games serious on the scoreboard.
    LooK at Montreal,  they lost both their games at home and Price was horrible letting in those 4 on Dallas.  Does this mean Habs will finish bottom 5 ?  NO WAY !  They're making the playoffs and will be in 5th or 6th spot when all is said and done.  Maybe push for division.
    About Rask, Price is a perfect example as the 2 play the exact same styles.
    In another thread I said how the Sens where going high on every shot but Rask , even though was down (that's his style), made some great saves to keep the badly outshot Bruins at par.
    I found Price's word to media very funny last season " CHILL " we all know what a great season he had after a very bad pre-season therefore take these games with a grain of salt (sugar in my case) and CHILL !

Sections
Shortcuts