Top Breakout Players 2013-14

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Top Breakout Players 2013-14

Feel free to pull this up at the end of the year and remind me of my horrible batting average.

And give me yours, I love seeing who posters think will have a big year.

1. Ryan Johansen - Love his game, think he is a stud player who begins his upward spiral this year.

2. Nino Niederreiter- Pretty sure I've picked him the last years, but alas! I am right on this one! Gets out of Long Island and proves to be a big part of the Wild offense.

3. Brett Connolly - I think he gets top 6 forward minutes half way through the year, some power play time and proves he has the tools.

4. Carter Ashton - Loved him in the WJC a couple years back, really stuck out to me, he'll be a fan favorite for years to come.

5. Jack Campbell/John Gibson - Not sure how much playing time either will get, Gibson in all likelihood wont even be on the roster at the beginning of the year. However if one or both get some playing they in my opinion are both ready. Both very mature goalies who position themselves very well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Top Breakout Players 2013-14

Oy, I'll have to think on it a bit, but I don't know why I even bother doing this every year. I'm down right horrible at this. But I'll start with two and add more as I give it some thought but I want to get these up before Stanley beats me to it.

Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd - both will break 70 points for the first time, with Wheeler just shy of 80, and Ladd just over that mark. And for a crazy idea - they both play themselves onto their Olympic teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Oy, I'll have to think on it a bit, but I don't know why I even bother doing this every year. I'm down right horrible at this. But I'll start with two and add more as I give it some thought but I want to get these up before Stanley beats me to it.

Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd - both will break 70 points for the first time, with Wheeler just shy of 80, and Ladd just over that mark. And for a crazy idea - they both play themselves onto their Olympic teams.

Never stops me Red, throw your hat in the ring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Alex Chiasson....  this kid might start the season playing on a line with Seguin & Benn....

can't wait for fantasy leagues to begin....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

B's miss playoffs; Seguin leads Stars to Stanley Cup.  Oh the humanity!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

5. Jack Campbell/John Gibson - Not sure how much playing time either will get, Gibson in all likelihood wont even be on the roster at the beginning of the year. However if one or both get some playing they in my opinion are both ready. Both very mature goalies who position themselves very well.

Absolutely convinced Gibson is going to be a stud in the NHL. Campbell is taking a little more time than I expected. Stefan Matteau is going to up his goals and performance for the Devils this season.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Good thread kel.  I'll make 5 guesses.

Zibanejad -- I think he's ready, and will get the opportunity to breakout in a big way.

Gallagher -- I hate to admit this, but he seems like a total pain-in-the-ass for the Bruins and every other opponent.  He's breaks out like Marchand did in 2011

MacKinnon -- He should not only gets lots of opportunity for a rookie, but he'll get opportunity with some pretty skilled offensive players including PP time with Duchene and Stastny.  Ditto for Landeskog.  The Avs will score a lot (and get scored on ever more).

Emerson Etem -- budding talent meets opportunity in Anaheim.

Torey Krug -- defensively he'll struggle to be consistent, but offensively he could have a breakout year and find himself on the #1 PP.

For honorable mention I'll go with two local Boston kids -- Charlie Coyle in Minny and Brian Flynn in Buffalo.  Flynn could end up being a top center there.  Coyle is gonna be a stud.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

Alex Chiasson....  this kid might start the season playing on a line with Seguin & Benn....

Is that the kid from BU?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

dougie hamilton wouldn't be a bad pick. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

*  Colin Wilson in Nashville.  Year 4 in the NHL, but his first full season to show what he can do for that offence. Would have had a semi-breakout last year with 19 points in 25 games, but didn't play the whole season.  If he kept that pace, he'd have led the Preds in scoring (which isn't hard...).  65 points?

*  One of Braydon Schenn/Matt Read/Sean Couturier will be the beneficiary of Briere's departure.  My guess is Schenn has the breakout year, but if it comes down to who sees more PP TOI with Briere gone, Couturier saw the least PP time of the three last year so stands to gain the most.

* Jared Cowan in Ottawa becomes a recognized shut-down defenseman this year and gets that "hard to play against" label for his combination of size and agility.

* I picked Silfverberg last year; picking him again this year because he might get Bobby Ryan's ice if Etem doesn't.

* Toffoli gets every chance to improve LA's offense.

Are you not entertained?!?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Also look for Brandon Saad to continue with top 6 minutes in chicago.

Are you not entertained?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

OK so a full five, and I'll leave Ladd and Wheeler out of this as bonus picks for myself.

Mark Scheifele - pushes Jokinnen down the depth chart grabbing second line centre and meshes well with Kane.

Sven Baertschi - I picked him last year. I've gotta be right one of these days on him, right?

Cam Atkinson - He looked great down the stretch for the Jackets, and I don't see any reason for his play to tail off.

Charlie Coyle - How come I expect a lot of knock down dragouts between him and Evander Kane over the coming years? These two are cut from the same mold and I can see the Wild relying more and more on his power forward abilities.

Filip Forsberg - The Preds are seriously lacking in offense so I could see the rookie getting lots of ice time - in 5 games at the end of the year last season he was getting almost 16 minutes a game, so I'd expect that to at least continue.

So now that I've picked my five, I've doomed them all to a season of mediocrity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

Is that the kid from BU?

yes, drafted a few picks after the B'S chose Caron....

here's another to watch, Tyler Toffoli in LA....

Sections
Shortcuts