Torey Krug reminds me of Greg Hawgood

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from salsa-kid. Show salsa-kid's posts

Torey Krug reminds me of Greg Hawgood

Both small, smart, smooth offensive minded defencemen.  I actually think with the new nhl rules vs when Greg played, it will actually benefit Torey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Re: Torey Krug reminds me of Greg Hawgood

In response to salsa-kid's comment:

Both small, smart, smooth offensive minded defencemen.  I actually think with the new nhl rules vs when Greg played, it will actually benefit Torey.

I've thought the same thing. But despite being an inch smaller Krug seems to play bigger and has made more of an impact in the short time he's played for the Bs. Hope he can continue to keep up this pace.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

That's actually a very, very good comparison. Totally agree. It's the skating and the fact he actually shoots the puck.

The latter is VERY refreshing. For whatever reason, the rest of our point men, usually our left handed shooters and vets (Chara, Seidenberg, Ference) don't seem to shoot the puck!

Is it me or is that a big reason why our PP has sucked?

Chara was third on the team for shots on goal this season.

Seidenberg was 8th.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Didn't KPD compare the two in the notes section of last Sundays Boston Globe?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's actually a very, very good comparison. Totally agree. It's the skating and the fact he actually shoots the puck.

The latter is VERY refreshing. For whatever reason, the rest of our point men, usually our left handed shooters and vets (Chara, Seidenberg, Ference) don't seem to shoot the puck!

Seidenberg was 8th.

That's super.  Chara also logs the most minutes.  It doesn't mean he passes on a lot of shot opps on the PP. He does.

Seidenberg rarely shoots, which is disappointing at times.  Love what he does as a player with the consistency, but I'd like to see more point shots.

Krug is fantastic with it.  Garbage goals are how you beat good goaltending.

I love this place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Didn't KPD compare the two in the notes section of last Sundays Boston Globe?

maybe that's where I saw it also.

So far Krug looks better defensively ,  Hawgood wasn't very physical and Krug has held his own with the likes of Boyle. Although too soon to tell or compare their defensive skillset.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I maybe can see it a a little. The only real areas they seem similar to me are in height and they both play D. Krug is the better skater and is a superior (faster and more accurate) passer (yes, I know...small sample size). I never recall Hawgood making a lot of "smart" plays or being a great skater out of his own end. Doesn't mean he didn't, I just don't recall "Hawgy" ever bringing that much to the table.

To me, the lazy thinking is like...Torey Krug is similar to <insert any Defensemen under 5'11>

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Maybe, but I stopped reading that Jacobs Apologist a decade ago.  Another one of our useless Boston writers.

You don't have to like him but Dupes is not now and never was a Jacobs' apologist in my mind...some examples of this please?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Funny, let me know when I initiate anything.  Focus on the source. NAS is a good start.

You were doing so well!

See, you're a Bruins Apologist, and when some people are a bit more intelligent than you are on a topic, you become intimidated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

Lefthanded shot version of Letang possibly?

Krug has a LONG way to go before he's in that discussion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seidenberg was 8th.

That's super.  Chara also logs the most minutes.  It doesn't mean he passes on a lot of shot opps on the PP. He does.

Seidenberg rarely shoots, which is disappointing at times.  Love what he does as a player with the consistency, but I'd like to see more point shots.

Krug is fantastic with it.  Garbage goals are how you beat good goaltending.

I love this place.

It'd be a lot better with you not here, and I am sure many would agree.  For a lefthanded shot, he's 8th on the team and you think that is good?

He logs the second most minutes behind Chara and he's usually one of the top point guys on the PP.

What is it about being a distant 8t on the team with that much time on the PP where you see it as a good thing?

Instead of a 3 word retort, why not back your premise like a big boy? See, you're a Bruins Apologist, and when some people are a bit more intelligent than you are on a topic, you become intimidated.

Pretty sad considering this is only a messageboard.

The top PP guys are Chara and Hamilton.

Seidenberg isn't an offensive defenseman.  He's a two-way guy at very best...very, very best.  Even so, there are the Top Six forwards, Chara then Seidenberg for total shots.

You've suggested that Chara and Seidenberg don't shoot enough.  Do you want them to be #1 and #2?  Do you think that Seidenberg, who doesn't have any sort of a scoring touch, should be shooting more than the Top 6 forwards?

Chara was 5th in the league for defensmen shots.  He was 23 shots shy of the #1 slot there, which is about one extra shot every two games.

That's not shooting enough?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think Krug would shoot anymore than Seidenberg or Chara if you played out the minutes over a full season.  He's definitely a more offensive defensmen but doesn't have some great shot IMO.  His biggest strength is his skating and general compete level.  The goals he's had in the series were very smart, opportunistic plays, but both were also the result of an over-rotated defense and an open shooting lane.  I think any of the Bruin d-men would have shot in those situations.

Krug played great and had some nice shots, but still, it's been two games.  Let's not pretend that he brings some whole new element or strategy that was missing with Chara and Seidenberg.  Those guys shoot when it makes sense to shoot, which is why they are among the team leader in shots, even as defensmen.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is why you're a dope:

"For whatever reason, the rest of our point men, usually our left handed shooters and vets (Chara, Seidenberg, Ference) don't seem to shoot the puck!"

Then facts show that they certainly do.

So, you change your stance and go with "

Charar's shots never seem to really be effective regardless of quantity.  I thought I made that clear in my original retort, but I guess I didn't. Again it's not surprising that Chara ranks high since he logs the most minutes of any D man in this league. That part makes sense, but I really wasn't only talking about him. If you roll 2 PP units, you have 4 D Men, obviously. SO, there's 3 more guys who aren't getting pucks through well enough on the PP, IMO.

Even though Chara shoots a lot, I'd like to see him be a bit better with the quality."

Why not know what you're talking about to being with, or possibly follow it up with "Oh, I wasn't aware of that.  My error!"

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I don't think Krug would shoot anymore than Seidenberg or Chara if you played out the minutes over a full season.  He's definitely a more offensive defensmen but doesn't have some great shot IMO.  His biggest strength is his skating and general compete level.  The goals he's had in the series were very smart, opportunistic plays, but both were also the result of an over-rotated defense and an open shooting lane.  I think any of the Bruin d-men would have shot in those situations.

Krug played great and had some nice shots, but still, it's been two games.  Let's not pretend that he brings some whole new element or strategy that was missing with Chara and Seidenberg.  Those guys shoot when it makes sense to shoot, which is why they are among the team leader in shots, even as defensmen.

Thanks for the normal, adult response, but I am not "pretending" with anything about Krug's skill set in comparison to Chara or Seidenberg.

Claude has been fiddling with the point guys back there for years now with no real improvemento the PP.

That's all. Sometimes I feel like Chara's length can be a detriment on the PP, to no fault of his own.

Seidenberg actually has a good shot, IMO, but he doesn't shoot enough.  Boychuk, has that rocket, but he's not the best skater and agile back there.

So, I am just simply wondering if Krug might work well with a righthanded partner like Hamilton in the future, to help improve this part of what has been an issue now for a while.

Im not a fan of Chara on the PP because he's playing superman minutes and that cant last forever.  Have to cut his minutes back somewhere, and we have other players, in my opinion, who can give you 80% (or more) of what he gives you on the PP.

We dont have anyone who can give you 80% (or more) of what he gives you either 5v5 or on the PK. 

Im all for Krug on the PP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I guess im trying to say that Chara cant continue to play 40 minutes / night every game.  Have to cut his minutes back somewhere.  Id rather cut his minutes on the PP than 5 on 5 or on the PK.

I dont agree that hes a detriment to the PP though.  Hardest shot in teh NHL, gigantic screen.  Can use the reach to keep it in.  I just think that is the best place to cut back his minutes.  Also, Bartkowski and Krug have shown that they can help on the PP.  Im not against Boychuck back there either, but that may be just a bit of homerism (Im a Boychuck fan)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

During the regular season, Chara finished 5th amond D in shooting, and had a respectable (though not great) shooting percentage.  Those guys around him also played pretty big minutes.

Seidenberg finished tied for 28th.  There are teams where no D finished in the top 30, so his shooting probably can't be ignored either.

Now for the new information.

The following are average number of minutes played between shots:

Regular season

• Chara               10
    • Seidenberg       13

Playoffs

• Chara               7.25
    • Seidenberg       12.6
    • Krug                  5.9

Chara has upped his shooting, while Seidenberg has held steady.  Krug has shot nicely, though his rate may be benefiting from a small sample size and having a little higher proportion PP time.
      The Bruins' D, as a whole, have done a decent job getting shots on net during these playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

During the regular season, Chara finished 5th amond D in shooting, and had a respectable (though not great) shooting percentage.  Those guys around him also played pretty big minutes.

Seidenberg finished tied for 28th.  There are teams where no D finished in the top 30, so his shooting probably can't be ignored either.

Now for the new information.

The following are average number of minutes played between shots:

Regular season

• Chara               10
    • Seidenberg       13

Playoffs

• Chara               7.25
    • Seidenberg       12.6
    • Krug                  5.9

Chara has upped his shooting, while Seidenberg has held steady.  Krug has shot nicely, though his rate may be benefiting from a small sample size and having a little higher proportion PP time.
      The Bruins' D, as a whole, have done a decent job getting shots on net during these playoffs.

Personally, I dont give much thought to a defensemans shooting percentage. If it's high great, but I care more about shots on net, alot of times, especially on the power play they are just trying to get it on net through the bodies. Don't really have the luxury of cherry picking.

Sections
Shortcuts