1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Torn MCL

Had someone fall across my knee while my skate was planted along the boards last night.  Tore the MCL and some meniscus damage too.  ACL is still in good shape.

Anyone have this injury?  Recovery time?  Advice?

And yes, I realize this is personal and not about the Bruins, but I'm sitting around all day today and it's summertime.  Never had a bad knee injury either.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Torn MCL

In Response to Re: Torn MCL:
    Thanks gents.  Doc says he doesn't think surgery is the way to go unless we get 4 weeks out and it isn't improving.  I think the meniscus damage is minor and the MCL should heal without surgery(?).  Thanks for the advice though. Always heard about that distinctive popping sound with the knees and never experienced it until last night.  Guy on the other team heard it too and yelled at the ref to blow the whistle. Going light on the painkillers at the moment, as there is actually less pain than I had expected.  I had a compound elbow fracture two years ago and was taking the pills like candy, due to the pain.  Maybe tonight we'll see how they mix with a few beers... Cheers, -Old Man Fletcher...
    Posted by Fletcher1

"popping sound?"  Man, that must have been some serious pain!  Did you know immediately that something was wrong?  Here's hoping you're up and around asap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The sound was the worst part.  Pain isn't bad as long as you keep your leg straight and have zero lateral pressure on it.

I love this board.  The medical advice consists of popping pain pills and finding a hot little tart for some physical therapy.  Sounds perfect.  Sign me up for the 3-year rehab plan.

Thanks gents, cheers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The sound was the worst part.  Pain isn't bad as long as you keep your leg straight and have zero lateral pressure on it.

I love this board.  The medical advice consists of popping pain pills and finding a hot little tart for some physical therapy.  Sounds perfect.  Sign me up for the 3-year rehab plan.

Thanks gents, cheers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Sorry to hear Fletch GWS! My only advice is to try & get your Dr. to send you to a sports med Dr. Don't mess around & wait. Just ask him & I'm sure he'll send you to one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Fletch,
    With any luck, once your knee calms down, they will be able to scope your knee and if it is uncomplicated (just a clean out of loose bodies) the cartilage aspect with then be taken care of...if they elect to repair the cartilage, that is a much longer recovery. Torn MCL's need to be repaired (if you are an athlete). If it turns out your MCL is not torn but sprained, that recovery could also take a while depending upon the degree of injury to the ligament.
    The guys are right about a second opinion and that rehab is the most important part. The joint and your patella tracking must be stabilized or you will have future issues. Avoid deep knee bends during your rehab...
    Sorry to hear about your injury...been there done that...positive thoughts. :-)
    Best,
    Doc

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re: Torn MCL:
    Thanks gents.  Doc says he doesn't think surgery is the way to go unless we get 4 weeks out and it isn't improving.  I think the meniscus damage is minor and the MCL should heal without surgery(?).  Thanks for the advice though. Always heard about that distinctive popping sound with the knees and never experienced it until last night.  Guy on the other team heard it too and yelled at the ref to blow the whistle. Going light on the painkillers at the moment, as there is actually less pain than I had expected.  I had a compound elbow fracture two years ago and was taking the pills like candy, due to the pain.  Maybe tonight we'll see how they mix with a few beers... Cheers, -Old Man Fletcher...

Injured my MCL and Ankle at the same time during a game in my early 20's...similar to your accident, guy kind of tackled me from behind and my skate positioned awkwardly. Anyways, I was out for a while and it wasn't alot of fun. Never heard the pop, but that generally indicates either a tendon giving way or a bone breaking.....sounds like the former for you.

Most knee surgery is done orthoscopically now, especially when dealing with the meniscus and recovery times are significantly less. Your doctor sounds like he's taking the right approach; give it some time and see how it goes.

As for taking pain killers/NSAIDS, I stay away from them as not only can they be addictive, but for some (like me), can be hard on your stomach.

The thing that bugged me most at the time was not so much the pain, but the fact I couldn't play for an extended time.....that really stunk.

Take care and good luck!
    Posted by Fletcher1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good luck Fletch. Doc has the right direction, as do some who have had the same problem. Never had a tear, but did have serious sprain, which good rehab brought back to almost new. Don't rush anything. Later in life, arthritis seems to find those old injuries as a target, but don't rush into replacement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Sorry about the news Fletch. My words of wisdom for rehab is do not push it. Patience, tolerance and willingness to work on it.

My worst injury, was construction site unfortunate mishap. The scaffolding i was working from collapse and down I went. My head bounce off the concrete below, I fracture four ribs, tear in my shoulder and crack in my pelvis. I went to physio 1 week later; did not take pain killers once I started the rehab program. They the physiotherapist do not want their clients to mask the pain with pain killers. The therapist will want to know where the exact pain is for they can center on the focus points of the recovery.

I recovered in 6 months then modify hours for 2 months at work. My hip at times will bother me mostly during the damp weather. Today i hold two PT jobs that involves walking and being on my feet for extended hours.

Good luck and i know you can get through it.

Today my favorite quote when somebody is going through pain. The only words of wisdom that I say is " No pain, No gain" Fletch you seem to be a positive person and that will always be a bonus when in recovery.

Sections
Shortcuts