Toronto Maple Leafs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Toronto Maple Leafs

I know theyre out of it but after Saturdays win I was concerned about the Leafs. After all I kept hearing/reading how coach Randy was pretty much holding his training camp now, running training camp like practices etc.. I expected a much better effort from them tonight.

Thats a mess up there.

Absolutely no goaltending. Reimer and the Monster aren't the answer.
    What has Kessel done in the second half?
    Luke Schenn looked good in the first two minths, now, not so much.
    Grabovski makes more than Bergeron.
    Colborne should have a nice AHL career.
    Bozak shows me nothing.

I do like Jake Gardiner, but thats going to be an interesting summer for Brian Burke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Yeah, I really do feel bad for them. Unfortunately, they don't even have a single likeable player on their team (I don't know much about Gardiner). Even the Vancouver Canucks have guys like Ryan Kesler who I really respect, and who has the sack and skills to impact the game. The Leafs have absolutely no heart.

What makes me not feel sorry for them is how posters on this board and a few bloggers have opened up my eyes to Brian Burke's super-macho arrogance that has followed him around the league. The unforgiveable bounty on Steve Moore, the challenging of other GMs to brawls in barns, the tirades to the media, the bad attitude. That kind of stuff almost makes the investment into Phil Kessel as the centerpiece of a franchise easy to dismiss.

I know what its like to really love a sports team, and I'm sure there are plenty of quality Leafs fans that are just disgusted at this point--Whats worse is, their "young guns" are also the small-ish diminutive types that I highly doubt will bring any balls to the main team (maybe Tyler Biggs will develop). Even Kadri, a ROOKIE, was sent down multiple times for loafing. Just imagine a team where the rookies on a basement-dweller feel that entitled.

.....and their goalies suck.

they are doomed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I've never been able to get on the "hate Toronto" bandwagon. Even though they don't have a whole lot of interesting players, I like the franchise.  I mean, look at how their fans, however loud and entitled as they can be, act as compared to the whiny crybaby antics of team like Montreal and Vancouver.

I kinda wanted to see them make the playoffs this year now that the B's were done pilfering their draft picks.  But, oh, that's a terrible hockey team.  Terrible coaching, awful defense, and worse goaltending than a Luongo on a clutch night.

I still think of TO as the team with the new snazzy 70's sweater with the stripe down the sleeves, Jacques Plante in his new grey Fibrosport mask and nifty turtleneck.  I really liked visiting Maple Leaf Gardens.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Living near Toronto it has been easy to get a "hate on" for the self proclaimed center of the hockey universe. Brian Burke has added to it since he's arrived. 

I guess it all depends where you live to get that feeling going for them. I enjoy their mediocrity. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I was going to posit were the bruins that good, or the Leafs that bad. You have allready answered, and they were really that bad. But, watching the game, the bruins, some of theme were not necessarily that good, or thyey could have resolved to float with such an easy time. I was proud of Seguin, he hardly smiled when he scored, and his feed to Marchand was another excellent pass.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : They are only doomed because Gregory plays for the B's...just ask anyone in the NHLOA.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

What does NHLOA stand for, Null?

"Null Has Lice On Ar$e". Is that it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've never hated the Leafs, although I was fervently motivated by their draft pick the past couple of years.  I have no idea how the big fat finger of blame has not been pointed squarely at Brian Burke for a while now.

I actually kind of like Burke.  I find his candor refreshing.  I like his temper.  I have tremendous sympathy for the loss of his son and respect for his efforts to become a public advocate for his son's cause.

But he has been flat out incompetent as a GM in Toronto.  He must have that degree from Harvard in "Executive Buck-Passing" too.  His lament about Colton Orr was a total self-serving deflection.  He subtle blaming of Ron Wilson was a pure disguise of what we can all plainly see -- this is a poorly constructed team, top to bottom.  No coach can fix it.

A blue line that features the contracts of Komisarek and Jeff Finger?  A half dozen average but underdeveloped NCAA guys, streaky goal scorers, terrible goal-tending, no one who drives the puck to the net, and a generational investment in a lazy, one dimensional star (that cost him a more talented star to acquire).  It's insane.  That team is an absolute mess and to look any further than the GM for blame, is absurd.

And yeah, the Steve Moore thing was a disgrace too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Like Fletch I don't hate Burke.  Sure the Steve Moore thing went bad , it was an unfortunate fall to the ice.  Moore had gone after the Canucks best player and yes there would be pay back.   How many of you wish Cooke would get a beating that game after Savard was concussed.

Burke miscalculated what Kessel would bring to the Leafs.  If you want to develop top6 forwards you don't start with a winger, you start with a real no1 NHL center.
    The Lupol and Gardiner trade was very good and also getting Phaneuf.  Those 2 trades Burke won.  We're just starting to see how big of a "loss" the Kessel trade is and that'll be Burke's downfall.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Brian Burke has been exposed as a terribly overrated GM

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think there is a comparison to the Laffs and the pre '04 Sox.

Overly-passionate fans that span multiple generations and think that any player they have is the next great thing.
    Ownership that is happy with putting fannys in the seats and selling dogs and beer more that putting a winner down there.
    A front office that throws big money at the wrong players. I mean Phaneuf only make 500K less than Chara and Kessel makes more than Bergeron.
    Criminy, they have almost 19 mil locked up in Phaneuf, Komisarek, Liles, and Schenn through 2015!

The fact of the matter is that Burke has really failed miserably at rejuvinating this franchise. He threw around money like a drunken sailor at a strip club and set this franchise back another 5 years at least.

The only franchise to miss the playoffs every year since the lockout?
    It's sad...and yet it's funny. Because I could really care less about them now that The B's pillaged what they could from them. Or have they??...for all I know they could trade us Grabovski for Paille...you know, for cap space.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Like Fletch I don't hate Burke.  Sure the Steve Moore thing went bad , it was an unfortunate fall to the ice.  Moore had gone after the Canucks best player and yes there would be pay back.   How many of you wish Cooke would get a beating that game after Savard was concussed. Burke miscalculated what Kessel would bring to the Leafs.  If you want to develop top6 forwards you don't start with a winger, you start with a real no1 NHL center. The Lupol and Gardiner trade was very good and also getting Phaneuf.  Those 2 trades Burke won.  We're just starting to see how big of a "loss" the Kessel trade is and that'll be Burke's downfall.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I disagree about Phaneuf.  I don't see him as a team leader, he comes across as a fake tough guy or Messier wannabe.

After the 2007-08 season he started playing like he was 10 years older, physically and I already consider him a shadow of his former self.  For this case I think the stats reflect what's going on with him exactly, he's consistently put up about 20 less pts per year since then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm with you Badhab, whatever Phaneuf is selling, I'm not buying.
    ...and it's not even about the points, I watch him play and say "They made this guy Captain??"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I too, don't hate the Leafs - my wife has been a Leafs fan as long as I've been a B's fan (40+yrs).
    I had to temper my happiness last night even though I wanted to rejoice and high five.

I am amazed that Burke hasn't done more for them since he got there...they should have been well on their way to developing a better team by now. I think that he kept his buddy Wilson too long when things started to go south this year and didn't give Carlyle (or whomever) a better chance to salvage this year. It might just cost him his job.

BTW - it used to be Gustavsson was nicknamed the 'Monster' because he was a large and intimidating goaltender when he first arrived.
    Now he's just scary to watch.

They need a bonafide #1 for next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"A front office that throws big money at the wrong players. I mean Phaneuf only make 500K less than Chara and Kessel makes more than Bergeron.
    Criminy, they have almost 19 mil locked up in Phaneuf, Komisarek, Liles, and Schenn through 2015!'

I wonder how many draft picks Burke would give up to bring in Theo ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : I disagree about Phaneuf.  I don't see him as a team leader, he comes across as a fake tough guy or Messier wannabe. After the 2007-08 season he started playing like he was 10 years older, physically and I already consider him a shadow of his former self.  For this case I think the stats reflect what's going on with him exactly, he's consistently put up about 20 less pts per year since then.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Okay could agree on Phanuef not as effective as he was in 2007/08 but you cannot say Calgary won that trade.  With all the players they got none has helped the Flames go to the next level.  Some are no longer with that team and the Flames for nothing in return.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I think the whole Kessel thing created a sort of war between the two. TO has some real issues. Not strong anywhere and with little cap space to improve. Unless, of course, they can trade some dead weight in the off season. But who in their right mind would want Armstrong, Connelly, Lomabardi, komisarek, or MacArthur with their contracts?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : Okay could agree on Phanuef not as effective as he was in 2007/08 but you cannot say Calgary won that trade.  With all the players they got none has helped the Flames go to the next level.  Some are no longer with that team and the Flames for nothing in return.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    i think that trade was just 2 men dumping salaries. A lot of them. And I thought they liked Aulie and just traded him to TB. For what?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : i think that trade was just 2 men dumping salaries. A lot of them. And I thought they liked Aulie and just traded him to TB. For what?
    Posted by 49thparallel[/QUOTE]
    Carter Ashton. Actually 1 of Burke's better moves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

For most Canadians, I don't think its so much of a "hate the Leafs" thing -- they've almost become loveable losers over the years.  And as arrogant as Burkie is, you've got to admire a guy who doesn't always think political correctness first, before he talks. 

It's more of a "hate Toronto" situation -- a lot of Canadians despise the Toronto=Canada attitude, the "centre of the universe" (not just the hockey universe, but the entire universe!!), and their concept that "the west" is Thunder Bay, and maybe Winnipeg.

The fact that the CBC has to have a Leafs game on every Saturday night (almost), and the fact that the ONLY time that the Canucks change their home game start times is when the Leafs come to town, so that the Toronto TV audience doesn't have to stay up late to watch their beloved team (well, OK, we had to change for you Boston fans last June, too).

Yeah, I get the whole "biggest media market in Canada" thing -- but HNIC, TSN and RSN should realize that there a whole lot of hockey fans in Canada who don't wear blue and white.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Count me among those who actually do hate the Leafs.
    As a Western Canadian I've been subjected to national coverage of this mediocre if not down right awful team my whole life. Every single Saturday, even if there were better games and Canadian teams playing, plus constant coverage on the three national sports networks. Their ubiquity, even when they're awful (which is almost always) has lead me to hate them.

So in a way I'm revelling in just how brutal a job their supposed saviour, Burke, has done. The Leafs have done worse under him, and are overall a worse team, than they were under John Ferguson Jr./Cliff Fletcher. As I mentioned to RHO the other day, Under JF Jr. the Leafs finished 2nd, 4th and 3rd in the NE with 103, 90 and 91 point seasons. That 4th year when Fltcher took over half waay through, they finished 5th with 83 points. Under Burke they've finished 5th, 5th and 4th with 81, 74, andf 85 point seasons. And this year with 9 games lefvt and them sitting at 72 points, there's a very good chancce they won't break the 80 point barrier again, and they'll finish either 4th or 5th in the division yet again.

I have no clue how Burke still has a job, let alone how so many Leafs fans still defend him. By the numbers, by the record, he's done a worse job than JF Jr. and he was run out of town on a rail. Boggles my mind how Burke still gets a pay cheque.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just reading the comments on TSN about last night's loss, and a whole lot of folks are putting the blame on Carlyle.

Are you kidding me??? The Lowell Devils have more talent and "truculence" on their team. What's Carlyle supposed to do? come out of retirement and play on the top D pairing? How could any coach make this team viable?

I feel sorry for Carlyle if this is the way he is gooing to be treated there. I was actually, prior to the season, hoping that the Jets could somehow lure him back, but now I'm quite happy with Noel. Still, a great coach and a great player who deserves better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I hate the Leafs.  For the same reason Chowdah enjoys their mediocrity - I lived in Toronto for long enough to know that that fan base gets less rational, less humble, and more obnoxious by the year.  Witness the annual parade of hope springing eternal in every Toronto-based hockey publication - I mean, someone made money off of "In Reimer We Trust" merch.  Reimer=Lacher.  A guy who has no resume who had a run of bizarre success for half a year and has since been exposed.

I love to watch Burke fail.  I do like some of the things he has come up with - his position on trying to rebuild your team at the deadline (stupid and inflationary) or on July 1.  His agressiveness when it comes to acquiring players he thinks can be core players via trade - Sedins, Pronger, and even Phaneuf and Kessel.  Say what you want about how the last two not panning out, but Phaneuf is their best D by a country mile, and Kessel is the only true offensive threat they have - Lupul has never played as well as he has with Kessel.  It costs part of my soul to say Kessel has made someone better, but there you go.

The worst of the Leafs' problems were inherited - except the Kessel deal.  Finger was Cliff Fletcher.  There were no prospects in that system when Burke got there and no system to develop them.  They had no goaltender and no goaltending prospects.  Ferguson and Fletcher had better records because they were stewards of the last days of the Sundin/Quinn era.  Neither of them did squat to deserve an ounce of praise for those better records.  Burke has had a ton of churn, and he may truly be no closer to a contender than he was four years ago, but there's a difference between running that team into the ground and running in circles.

Sections
Shortcuts