Toronto Maple Leafs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

So, the redacted version of the novel - remember that they had traded away their 1st rounder in the Yzerman/Lafontaine/Neely/Barrasso draft for two guys who played a handfull of games for them.  They traded one of them to LA for college student to become cokehead Kevin Stevens when he was still a sophomore.  They would have had first overall.  They finished tied with Hartford at 45 points.  The Whale improved 50% the following year thanks in part to 40 goal rookie Sylvain Turgeon.  That was icing on the cake of a lot of bad trades involving picks.

During the season – and red, this one you of all people should remember – they traded their one quality defenseman and their second leading scorer from the previous year to the Jets for a failed prospect in Bryan Maxwell and a first round pick that ended up being Doug Bodger.  Randy Carlyle was 27 when they dealt him and a recent Norris winner.  They also dealt away Rich Sutter, who wasn't a regular yet but who was a point/game and 200plus PIM player in Junior and their 1st rounder from 1982 for two soon-to-be gone veterans and ... former 10th round pick Andy Brickley!  They also shipped decent role player Kevin McClelland for a guy with no business in the league in Tom Roulston.

You can also manage to stink without making deals.  The Pens played 45 guys that year, including four goaltenders. That's two full teams.  Chemistry set anyone?

It's only enough circumstantial evidence - including the bankruptcy motive - if you're Kinnesaw Mountain Landis.  It certainly looked bad, and Agnosti admitting it isn't much of a surprise.  Bankruptcy threats are great cover for tanking, in any case, as is the word "rebuilding".  Both mean that you get rid of experienced, capable players on your roster because they tend to be more expensive.  You replace them with players and picks who aren't expected to help you right now.  Cut the payroll, go with a youth movement, and you'll get high picks. No one would suggest the Oilers are tanking this year with all the young talent they're throwing out there, and after they re-signed one of their most expensive talents in Hemsky - yet they're going to draft second after drafting first for two straight years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

*Agnotti.  I'd edit it out, but I like the idea that if he was Agnosti he'd be better positioned to say he didn't know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good stuff Bookboy.

WalktheLine, you nailed it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Agnosti! lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Back to the original title of the thread, i expect Burke to be active the free agency, i'm thinking Suter and a forward maybe by trade...He has somewhat of a core in Kessel and an okay defensive corps where if he does add Suter I think it would solidify that aspect. he needs a goaltender, I'm thinking he'll get one, Schneider, Luongo or maybe Bernier, he has the cap room to pull some stuff together.

Sort of how the B's were that one day they added Chara and Savard. I think this is the summr Brian Burke needs to out it together and he will certainly try.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Great find BookBoy ! WalkTheLine , the court rests.

They also got very lucky winning the lottery years later and now have Crosby, Malkin and Fleury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

If you trade Rask for Raycroft and then bring in Kessel for Seguin, Knight, and Hamilton (I know the last two were picks), obviously something is seriously wrong. 

As a hockey fan, I'd like to see the Leafs return to some level of respect and dignity but I still don't like them.  That was a beat-down on Monday, on so many levels.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs:
    [QUOTE]If you trade Rask for Raycroft and then bring in Kessel for Seguin, Knight, and Hamilton (I know the last two were picks), obviously something is seriously wrong.  As a hockey fan, I'd like to see the Leafs return to some level of respect and dignity but I still don't like them.  That was a beat-down on Monday, on so many levels.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

huscroft - Several callers on their post-game radio show expressed similar feelings after the Bruin game.  I heard one guy tell people to lay off Burke's highly-publicized promise of Leaf teams playing with proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence.  "He didn't say when they would play with them."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

From Dave Feschuck - Toronto Star - Wed./Mar. 21/12  He's the writer Burke and former coach Wilson were steamed with earlier in the season for getting the word from Reimer's mother that he was concussed in his collision with Gionta.  This news under-cut the team's public declaration of Reimer's injury being the non-specific upper-body variety. 
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1149552--brian-burke-should-apologize-to-leaf-fans

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I still cannot believe this team is lottery bound. Does anyone remember how many games they spent in 1st place?

They are four points from 2nd worst in a tanking horse-race. Can they pull it off?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Do the B's have the Leafs 1st choice again this year ???

...just asking ... !!!!!   lol !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Sad..............it's just so sad

But Marlie playoff tickets are on sale if anyone is interested