Toronto Record Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Re: Toronto Record Tracker

They say how goes Kessel, how goes Toronto. I want Toronto to do bad so the B's get better draft positioning. That's all there is to it.

And since the B's are playing so awful, the Toronto/Kessel failures give me something to enjoy this year.

And as far as my thoughts on the B's this year, last I saw this was a thread about Toronto. Time and place for everything

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Guys, you can be sure the Leafs and their fans are very happy to have a 22 year old, NHL-proven goal scorer whose potential may be limitless.  As it stands right now, he's the best pure scorer this team has had since the days of Alex Molgilny back in the mid-90s.  Sundin never played with a winger with as much skill on the Leafs again and instead had the likes of Antropov, Ponikarovsky and Roberts as linemates.  Snipers? No! 

Burke has gone on record up here stating PK is exactly the type of player he wants on the club.  He wants his top 6 forwards the skill players while the bottom 6 are his grinding "pick and shovel" men.  Kessel's no longer a Bruin.  I say wish him "Bon Chance." 

As Leaf fortunes are tied to PK, so, too are the fortunes of our club in what we received in return.  If it were reversed, we'd fully expect Leaf supporters to want the Bruins to finish as low in the standings as possible purely for the draft position as earlier stated and not necessarily for some kind of vindictive attitude. 

BadHab - You bring up a name I haven't thought of in years; Jeff Lazaro, who breached an unofficial training camp protocol by hitting Cam Neely into the boards in '93, I think.  As you say, he had a lot of speed, bit of skill and played with an edge.  I, too,  thought he'd be on the club for the long haul but it didn't happen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

slicksteve - No sour grapes here - I have no desire to bring Kessel back.  I don't covet him, I was hoping that they'd deal him the summer before they did, and I did a little dance when I found out they got Burke to hack up an extra #1 pick.  I was saying all of the things I say now about this guy back when he was a Bruin - though I held my breath and hoped I was wrong when he was on his scoring streak in the middle of last year.

You can make excuses for him, sure, and I'm actually willing to factor 'potential' in when you're talking younger players - even if, after three seasons in the league, you'd hope they'd be farther along.  So excuses are excuses, and I guess $5.5M will buy you a few mulligans.  As for the list of players, I was responding to your question, not explicitly comparing Kessel, but even so, your defense still sounds like excuses.  Half the guys on that list have been in the league maybe a year or two longer than Kessel; Ovechkin absolutely runs guys on a regular basis and he gets just creamed from time to time because he takes the puck into the dangerous areas of the ice.  Crosby uses the body to take and protect the puck all the time, and he too goes to the danger zones.  So what's your definition of physical because mine's the courage to use your body to earn space all over the ice.

All I'm saying is, if you want Phyllis, take him.  Even if it means short-term pain for the Bruins - and I'm not conceding his absence plays any part in their struggles this year - I'd rather go forward without him.  Even if he scores 40 next year. Even if he hits 50 some day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

went at it all day?

You give me too much credit, I don't spend that much time here :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker:
    [QUOTE]Bookboy, i respectfully disagree, Kessel's absence, i feel,  is in part the reason for Boston's production being down this year. Or at the very least, the absence of someone who can accompany Savard on the wing. Posted by Davidorr[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but those are two different things.  My point is that I think Kessel would have been caught in the same malaise as the rest of this team, or that he'd get his goals, but they wouldn't make much of a difference given everything else this team has struggled with this year.  He can't make Wideman hit the net.  He can't make Chara stop handling the puck like its a live ferret.  He can't play Patrick Swayze to Ryder's Demi Moore and guide his hands when he's standing in front of the net so he doesn't blow chance after chance after chance.  He wouldn't improve Krejci's skating - because that's a lingering effect of his injury and not a confidence issue - or Lucic's.  He wouldn't overcome the injuries to Savard.

What this team needed was for the players they have to play like the players they're paid to be and have been in the past.  Not one of them has really found his game for whatever reason - and watching them play against Kessel, I really doubt it's because they're pining for that Wisconsin cheese.  Maybe another goalscorer would help.  One who's mentally tough enough not to fall into the mire this team has been in.  Mentally tough, though - that ain't Phil.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

[QUOTE]DaveCarr and Bim9: We certainly don't need any more threads on Kessel but when I read something stupid, you have to call it out. Kessel had 36 goals last year (only 11 player had more).  He has 21 and on pace for 38 this year
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

First off, this isn't a new thread about Kessel, it's the Toronto Record Tracker, and that's what I posted about.

Second, as my posts that started this flareup pointed out, Yes, Kessel scored in that game, but he also gave up a terrible giveaway and cost his team a goal. The team lost by 1. If he was a halfway decent two-way player, and didn't give up the puck, they would have gotten at least one point instead of none.

So yes, the B's miss his goals. But what's the point of getting a goal from him if he's going to help give one up?

You all throw out there how he is getting all these goals and assists, and how great he is, but has ANYONE mentioned that he's -2 for the year?

So for all the goals he gets, he is on the ice when the other teams score MORE goals.  Take him out of the equation, and Toronto has +2 goal differential. Considering how many one goal games they've been in this year, that has to factor in.

I don't miss him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Here's to hoping that we win the draft lottery and take Taylor Hall, then here's hoping Hall turns out like what Stamkos is on track for. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

[QUOTE]Bookboy007 - PK has already seen his romance with the Leaf faithfull run cold last month when the team's woes seemed to coincide with his scoring slump.  If you were to gauge fan feeling from the callers on the Leaf post-game radio program on AM 640, you'd swear he were the anchor that weighed down the club.  I heard everything from "Now we know why Boston got rid of him" to some suggesting Burke paid too much to get him.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Hmm, how does that sound familiar. Let me think.... players are beloved when they do well. But when they don't perform up to standards, the fans scream about how they are overrated, overpaid, should be traded, or the GM/coach should be fired...

Where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah, every other thread on these boards....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Hmm, how does that sound familiar. Let me think.... players are beloved when they do well. But when they don't perform up to standards, the fans scream about how they are overrated, overpaid, should be traded, or the GM/coach should be fired... Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, every other thread on these boards....
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

davecarr - True enough, bro.  When I was listening to folks call in during the time I mentioned earlier, it was such a far cry from the sheer euphoria PK was greeted with after his debut with the Leafs.  His slump polarized opinions about his aquistition and it hit its depth with the comments from Ron Wilson.  I just thought "Some folks are the same no matter where you live."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Maybe no one else noticed this, but the Leafs haven't gained any ground the last couple of weeks....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Bookboy007 - PK has already seen his romance with the Leaf faithfull run cold last month when the team's woes seemed to coincide with his scoring slump.  If you were to gauge fan feeling from the callers on the Leaf post-game radio program on AM 640, you'd swear he were the anchor that weighed down the club.  I heard everything from "Now we know why Boston got rid of him" to some suggesting Burke paid too much to get him. 

We'll have to wait to see what form our club's end of the deal will be.  Kessel will get his share of goals for the Leafs because he's good at scoring. We know that.  He gives them what we don't have right now; that is, quick strike potential.  Hopefully, PC will address that deficiency in the not too distant future.

I have to agree with you on your reasonable view suggesting Kessel, as good as he is at scoring, just might have been mired in the slump that covered the entire team.  Is he a difference-maker?  Absolutely but its difficult to presume were he still a Bruin, our club's slump wouldn't have been so extended.  We could say the same about the valuable Paille's numerous missed opportunities had he buried all those chances.  Let's wish him PK good luck but with respect to our team's draft position in June, not too much luck.  :D

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Finally back in business after that Olympic junk.

Big game tonight as the play the Canes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe no one else noticed this, but the Leafs haven't gained any ground the last couple of weeks....
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

But they haven't lost any ground over the last 2 weeks, so the Leafs have been as successful as the stretch they had in the summer of 09.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]went at it all day? You give me too much credit, I don't spend that much time here :)
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

Periodically during the day. 
    LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

3-0 Canes over the Laffs! Keep it going Carolina!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

cains beat the sabres 4..3 ot go cains

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]The first 3 picks will hinge on Cam Ward's back, How much Edmonton dumps before the deadline as to how bad they will be after March 3rd. Lufas in St. Louis tonight hopefully singing the Blues all night!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yes, they did, SanDog, to the tune of 4-0 Blues. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Leafs Alexei Ponikarovsky will not be in the line-up vs Carolina as he awaits a trade  mar 2 2010

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The first 3 picks will hinge on Cam Ward's back, How much Edmonton dumps before the deadline as to how bad they will be after March 3rd.

Lufas in St. Louis tonight hopefully singing the Blues all night!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I have and just after the Leafs had gotten a slight jolt form the trades Burke made. Which worried me for a bit. Hopefully Ward will play some before they shut him down. Corvo might be gone but teams have backed off Whitney's extension demands so Ray might stay which is good news the Canes looked like they were about to be stripped down for the remainder.

Saw some stats on NHL Network yesterday that said Edmonton finishing last with about a 38% chance of getting the first pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Thanks Tukka for starting this positive topic. When I need a break from all the negativity just about everywhere else (which is often) I come here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Wow. 
    The Canes have pulled away in the standings.
    Now Edmonton is gaining ground.

It would be sweet to get that #1 overall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Toronto claims Jamie Lundmark on waivers from Cgy. ...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

Carolina shouldn't sell off their players, they are climbing fast. Toronto on the other hand is awful. The B's should ship Wideman and Hunwick to Toronto because they would fit in nicely on that team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=310929

Grabovski busted for getting into a bar fight, released.

I want that #1 pick, anything that might even remotely hurt the Leafs...

Sections
Shortcuts