Toronto Record Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Toronto Record Tracker

Regardless of what the fans think and what the parents of the players think, Wilson isn't going anywhere.  USA Hockey buddies from the past, Burke and Wilson are on the same page when it comes to how the team is run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Love it!  Kaberle has basically said it's either me or Wilson, one of us has to go.  He's talking through his father to keep the volume down.

So while it is not exactly a Roy situation, it's close, in that they won't get good market value for him because now everyone knows that he is basically demanding a trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331099

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have a hard time pictuing Komiserak and Phaneuf on the same team and getting along.

I can't picture Komiserak on a winning team.

This is going to be so much fun.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

There is Leaf news actually.

Which is the fake Phaneuf captainship acceptance speech and which is the real one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkpDxzX-Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Yd9I8F4QQ

or this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDc2mnS48ng
    (note Merry %^&&^%$ Christmas!!)

Yup, leading the Leafs by example.  I hope so, I really do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker:
    In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Didn't Van Ryn just retire?
    Posted by Fletcher1

Yes, he got a job as assistant coach with the Niagara IceDogs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, he's coaching now.  SanDog - what are you quoting?  Must be last year's copy - "newly acquired Garnet Exelby."  Ian White is in Calgary, van Ryn's retired, Frogren is a chain of frozen desert stands for all anyone cares....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yeah, he's coaching now.  SanDog - what are you quoting?  Must be last year's copy - "newly acquired Garnet Exelby."  Ian White is in Calgary, van Ryn's retired, Frogren is a chain of frozen desert stands for all anyone cares....Posted by Bookboy007

As Tanner from Bad News Bears would say "Wholly Crud!" That was a link I clicked right of twitter today my bad!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Meh, I almost think Toronto would be better without Kaberle on the ice. He's been looking old, slow and uninterested. Off the ice, I'd say definitely. He's not a happy camper (can't blame him), so as a Bruins fan I hope he sticks around and spreads gloom all season long. ;-)
    Posted by duinne

Absolutely, duinne.  If one were to use the fans up here who call in to the sports talk shows on radio as a gauge, most seem to have their guns aimed squarely at Wilson.  The feeling is Kaberle's been a solid citizen off the ice, polite and soft-spoken with the media and has often been the most talented player on some bad Leaf teams. 

Wilson's rep as a sarcastic, grating personality was called into question this week after the apparent comments by Kaberle's father.  From what I heard, most callers were solidly behind Kaberle.  Mind you, I also didn't hear anyone mention that Kaberle is one of the few tradeable commodities on their 29th place club right now.  Yeah, another high pick from the generous Mr. Burke would be nice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"so as a Bruins fan I hope he sticks around and spreads gloom all season long."

A very merry Christmas present from our grinch's up in the North!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

We're gonna have to keep this thread going another season. I can't wait to watch it again :)
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

I agree!!!!  Thank you for bringing it back up!!!!   :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I always find this sort of argument a bit misleading because there's a huge difference between a team backsliding in terms of its play and a team suffering a "point subtraction" (and that is a horrible, horrible phrase - just stupid). In a way, it's the old "on paper" caveat.  Last year's playoff teams may have substantially the same, or better, personnel but that doesn't mean they'll get the same results.  Injuries play havoc.  Players back from injury can play havoc with chemistry. The effect of age are unpredictable - look at Jeff Friesen, who was a dynamo as a rookie and all but done as an impact player by 26.

Add to that that improvement can be both unforeseen and meteoric.  Look at Phoenix last year.  Was there anything on Dave Tippett's resume that would make you think he'd do that much better than Gretzky?  In that enviroment no less?

If Toronto doesn't make the playoffs it will be on their own merits, meaning it has little to do with the way other teams play.  They're better, sure, but I'm not sure how much better.  Gustafsson gives them better netminding - or that's the guess on a guy who hasn't played a full season without his heart giving out.  Their D should be okay with Phaneuf-Kaberle, Beauchemin-Schenn, Komisarek-Gunnarson.  Kessel will get his 30.  Versteeg probably nets 50+ points.  Beyond that, who knows. They're paper thin and have key players ready to quit on Ron Wilson. It would take a lot of good fortune for this team to top 90 points.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Odds of Leafs winning the cup are at 66 to 1.

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/NHL/Toronto-Maple-Leafs--Stanley-Cup-2011-Odds-201009050005/

Given that there are millions of insane Leafs fans making that bet, the odds are probably inflated.

I still want that top 5 pick, but you have to give credence to the odds makers.  People are putting up real money.  The Leafs at 21 is still a lottery pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Didn' they go to college together ? I was a fan of Wilson at the time he was with the Caps then he moved out west and kind of stopped following him.  He's back and entertaining ! Like him or not.
    Posted by BsLegion

Legion, you're right. They were teammates at Providence College in the early seventies.  I think they had Lamorello as their coach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun, This is just the first week of school, but the Maple Leafs are already facing math problems. Of the eight playoff teams returning in the Eastern Conference, only the Montreal Canadiens seem in any danger of point subtraction and only if Carey Price gets stage fright as their No. 1 goalie. Of the six others that finished ahead of Toronto and missed the playoffs, count on the four Southeast Division clubs, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Florida and Atlanta to be among the most improved. Then there’s the New York Rangers, 13 points better than the Leafs and denied eighth spot by a Game 82 shootout loss. Now that goalie Henrik Lundqvist has agreed that time off is in the team’s best interest, they can avoid a similar fate in 2010-11. So students, using the margins for your rough work, that would appear to leave Toronto at or near the bottom of the column again
    Posted by bruinsfan084evr

School isn't always real world, like Bookboy is alluding to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I am so glad to se the 'Toronto Record Tracker' up and running again.  I can only hope that the Bruins will have a successful season AND we can watch the Lacks fail miserably again, THAT would be something.
    Posted by shaunk

I look at it like 2 chances for a major victory, but a Stanley Cup and a first round pick might be just a little too much to ask for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

I am so glad to se the 'Toronto Record Tracker' up and running again.  I can only hope that the Bruins will have a successful season AND we can watch the Lacks fail miserably again, THAT would be something.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Regardless of what the fans think and what the parents of the players think, Wilson isn't going anywhere.  USA Hockey buddies from the past, Burke and Wilson are on the same page when it comes to how the team is run.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Didn' they go to college together ?
    I was a fan of Wilson at the time he was with the Caps then he moved out west and kind of stopped following him.  He's back and entertaining ! Like him or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun,

This is just the first week of school, but the Maple Leafs are already facing math problems.

Of the eight playoff teams returning in the Eastern Conference, only the Montreal Canadiens seem in any danger of point subtraction and only if Carey Price gets stage fright as their No. 1 goalie.

Of the six others that finished ahead of Toronto and missed the playoffs, count on the four Southeast Division clubs, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Florida and Atlanta to be among the most improved. Then there’s the New York Rangers, 13 points better than the Leafs and denied eighth spot by a Game 82 shootout loss. Now that goalie Henrik Lundqvist has agreed that time off is in the team’s best interest, they can avoid a similar fate in 2010-11.

So students, using the margins for your rough work, that would appear to leave Toronto at or near the bottom of the column again

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Good!  Like duinne said, I hope the problem festers all season long.

I can just see Kaberle coasting to the bench for a line change while the red-faced Wilson and Burke wonder why they didn't take what they could get for him during the draft dealings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Legion, you're right. They were teammates at Providence College in the early seventies.  I think they had Lamorello as their coach."

Yes and niether of them knew where to go when Lou yelled "TRAP!" Tongue out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

TSN's 30 teams in 30 days ( http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=29184) has the Laffs at 24th.  Edmonton, the Isles, Columbus, Florida, Atlanta, Minnesota, then the Laffs. That would net the 7th overall pick for the Bruins.  I'd take it. The analysis on the 30 in 30s is pretty thin, just FYI.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I'd put Atlanta ahead of the Leafs. Ramsey's a good coach and they have some good young talent on that team. A big part of their problem last year is that they ran around on the ice like a Chinese fire drill. That at least will change.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : If I were a Leafs fan these would be my concerns (and since I'm a Bruins fan,  I guess its my wish list); Phaneuf, for a guy in his mid-20's, his play looks like a has been tough guy 35 something. Komiserak, this guy deflates a team like Wideman did.  He has the ability to be a game changer - for the worse. Both of these guys are capable, ready and willing to something totally stupid at any time. Versteeg and Armstrong, both seem like guys who show a ton of hope, but their numbers have been on the decline.  Would not surprise me to see one or both of these guys pull a Glenn Murray disappearing act. The age of GS and Jonas heart, big concerns. There is parity in the league and anything can happen, but I would consider it miraculous if they made the playoffs. For me, a Stanley cup is icing on the cake.  I value watching good hockey not that far below that.  I don't see anyone in the league that will dominate the Bruins.  I think the Bruins this coming season should have a reasonably good chance to beat anyone in the league. A decent season, going deep into the playoffs and a first overall pick and I would be in heaven.  If that happens, then I could easily see the 2011-12 Bruins being the best team in the league.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Phaneuf's biggest problem has always been his propensity for going for the big hit rather than the smart play. Whether he gets broken of that habit, we'll see. I hope not, but it's possible he wises up.

Komisarek has never been the same since Lucic put a pounding on him two years ago. I don't know if it's because he's been perpetually hurt since then, or he's lost his heart, or a combination of both; he's coming off shoulder surgery and this year will be a real test for him.

Glen Murray calcified alarmingly due to a combination of age and injury; I don't expect that sort of decline from Versteeg or Amstrong. But then again, neither one of those guys are any sort of game-changer - they're more in the spear-carrier category.

Gustavsson has got to be better than Toskalol, so they've got that going for them. As for the rest, a lot of question marks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

Another fantastic entry from DownGoesBrown: http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/09/dear-son-welcome-to-life-as-leaf-fan.html
    Posted by duinne

Hey! That could almost be said about the the B's.  My son and daughter are still calling me out for introducing them to the B's - and they are die hard B's fans living in the 905 region.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Is Toronto dead last in the conference yet?   AHAHAHAHAHA, man I can't freakin wait to make fun of my delusional maple leaf friends when the B's get another top 5 pick this coming draft!  Having lived in Canada and experienced what being a Leaf fan is about, they only word that has ever come to mind...Lemmings.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I always find this sort of argument a bit misleading because there's a huge difference between a team backsliding in terms of its play and a team suffering a "point subtraction" (and that is a horrible, horrible phrase - just stupid). In a way, it's the old "on paper" caveat.  Last year's playoff teams may have substantially the same, or better, personnel but that doesn't mean they'll get the same results.  Injuries play havoc.  Players back from injury can play havoc with chemistry. The effect of age are unpredictable - look at Jeff Friesen, who was a dynamo as a rookie and all but done as an impact player by 26. Add to that that improvement can be both unforeseen and meteoric.  Look at Phoenix last year.  Was there anything on Dave Tippett's resume that would make you think he'd do that much better than Gretzky?  In that enviroment no less? If Toronto doesn't make the playoffs it will be  on their own merits , meaning it has little to do with the way other teams play.  They're better, sure, but I'm not sure how much better.  Gustafsson gives them better netminding - or that's the guess on a guy who hasn't played a full season without his heart giving out.  Their D should be okay with Phaneuf-Kaberle, Beauchemin-Schenn, Komisarek-Gunnarson.  Kessel will get his 30.  Versteeg probably nets 50+ points.  Beyond that, who knows. They're paper thin and have key players ready to quit on Ron Wilson. It would take a lot of good fortune for this team to top 90 points.
    Posted by Bookboy007

If I were a Leafs fan these would be my concerns (and since I'm a Bruins fan,  I guess its my wish list);
    Phaneuf, for a guy in his mid-20's, his play looks like a has been tough guy 35 something.
    Komiserak, this guy deflates a team like Wideman did.  He has the ability to be a game changer - for the worse.
    Both of these guys are capable, ready and willing to something totally stupid at any time.
    Versteeg and Armstrong, both seem like guys who show a ton of hope, but their numbers have been on the decline.  Would not surprise me to see one or both of these guys pull a Glenn Murray disappearing act.
    The age of GS and Jonas heart, big concerns.

There is parity in the league and anything can happen, but I would consider it miraculous if they made the playoffs.

For me, a Stanley cup is icing on the cake.  I value watching good hockey not that far below that.  I don't see anyone in the league that will dominate the Bruins.  I think the Bruins this coming season should have a reasonably good chance to beat anyone in the league.

A decent season, going deep into the playoffs and a first overall pick and I would be in heaven.  If that happens, then I could easily see the 2011-12 Bruins being the best team in the league.

Sections
Shortcuts