Toronto Record Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Toronto Record Tracker

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker:
    [QUOTE]TSN's 30 teams in 30 days ( http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=29184) has the Laffs at 24th.  Edmonton, the Isles, Columbus, Florida, Atlanta, Minnesota, then the Laffs. That would net the 7th overall pick for the Bruins.  I'd take it. The analysis on the 30 in 30s is pretty thin, just FYI.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I'd put Atlanta ahead of the Leafs. Ramsey's a good coach and they have some good young talent on that team. A big part of their problem last year is that they ran around on the ice like a Chinese fire drill. That at least will change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Another fantastic entry from DownGoesBrown:

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/09/dear-son-welcome-to-life-as-leaf-fan.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"If Toronto doesn't make the playoffs it will be on their own merits, meaning it has little to do with the way other teams play."

Simple math doesn't mean simple hockey but if the top 6 teams in the east are playing at .600 and the Lufas are playing just above .500 their merits better get going. I do see Burke making some desperate moves if the Laffs are down near the bottom 5.

Edmonton, the Isles, Columbus, Florida, Atlanta, Minnesota. I'm with Duinne on Atlanta Ramsey will improve that team and that deal with Chicago is going make the Thrashers better. The Isles and Columbus have a chance to be better than Toronto but team defense n goaltending will probably let them down. Florida has no chance at finishing ahead of Toronto neither does Edmonton.

I'll be watching Minnesota closely because the Bruins have their 2011 2nd rounder I'll be hoping for a bad record there too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I see the Isles, Panthers and the Oil finishing ahead of the Leafs, they have improved themselves in the off season.   The Leafs can beating out Atlanta, Minnesota and Columbus.
    1 -2 overall is what I want.
    3-5 is possible.
    6-10 is the most likely
    11-15 is a longshot
    Better than 15 is less likely than a 1 or 2 overall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

TSN's 30 teams in 30 days (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=29184) has the Laffs at 24th.  Edmonton, the Isles, Columbus, Florida, Atlanta, Minnesota, then the Laffs. That would net the 7th overall pick for the Bruins.  I'd take it.

The analysis on the 30 in 30s is pretty thin, just FYI.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

We have our first results in.

Rookie Game Leafs v Black Hawks.
    Leafs won 6-3, it was closer than it sounds.

Have a look at the game: (game in 6 minutes)
    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/toronto-maple-leafs/

bummer, Leafs rookies looked good in those clips.

And Cherry is predicting they'll make the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : If I were a Leafs fan these would be my concerns (and since I'm a Bruins fan,  I guess its my wish list); Phaneuf, for a guy in his mid-20's, his play looks like a has been tough guy 35 something. Komiserak, this guy deflates a team like Wideman did.  He has the ability to be a game changer - for the worse. Both of these guys are capable, ready and willing to something totally stupid at any time. Versteeg and Armstrong, both seem like guys who show a ton of hope, but their numbers have been on the decline.  Would not surprise me to see one or both of these guys pull a Glenn Murray disappearing act. The age of GS and Jonas heart, big concerns. There is parity in the league and anything can happen, but I would consider it miraculous if they made the playoffs. For me, a Stanley cup is icing on the cake.  I value watching good hockey not that far below that.  I don't see anyone in the league that will dominate the Bruins.  I think the Bruins this coming season should have a reasonably good chance to beat anyone in the league. A decent season, going deep into the playoffs and a first overall pick and I would be in heaven.  If that happens, then I could easily see the 2011-12 Bruins being the best team in the league.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Phaneuf's biggest problem has always been his propensity for going for the big hit rather than the smart play. Whether he gets broken of that habit, we'll see. I hope not, but it's possible he wises up.

Komisarek has never been the same since Lucic put a pounding on him two years ago. I don't know if it's because he's been perpetually hurt since then, or he's lost his heart, or a combination of both; he's coming off shoulder surgery and this year will be a real test for him.

Glen Murray calcified alarmingly due to a combination of age and injury; I don't expect that sort of decline from Versteeg or Amstrong. But then again, neither one of those guys are any sort of game-changer - they're more in the spear-carrier category.

Gustavsson has got to be better than Toskalol, so they've got that going for them. As for the rest, a lot of question marks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I always find this sort of argument a bit misleading because there's a huge difference between a team backsliding in terms of its play and a team suffering a "point subtraction" (and that is a horrible, horrible phrase - just stupid). In a way, it's the old "on paper" caveat.  Last year's playoff teams may have substantially the same, or better, personnel but that doesn't mean they'll get the same results.  Injuries play havoc.  Players back from injury can play havoc with chemistry. The effect of age are unpredictable - look at Jeff Friesen, who was a dynamo as a rookie and all but done as an impact player by 26. Add to that that improvement can be both unforeseen and meteoric.  Look at Phoenix last year.  Was there anything on Dave Tippett's resume that would make you think he'd do that much better than Gretzky?  In that enviroment no less? If Toronto doesn't make the playoffs it will be  on their own merits , meaning it has little to do with the way other teams play.  They're better, sure, but I'm not sure how much better.  Gustafsson gives them better netminding - or that's the guess on a guy who hasn't played a full season without his heart giving out.  Their D should be okay with Phaneuf-Kaberle, Beauchemin-Schenn, Komisarek-Gunnarson.  Kessel will get his 30.  Versteeg probably nets 50+ points.  Beyond that, who knows. They're paper thin and have key players ready to quit on Ron Wilson. It would take a lot of good fortune for this team to top 90 points.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

If I were a Leafs fan these would be my concerns (and since I'm a Bruins fan,  I guess its my wish list);
    Phaneuf, for a guy in his mid-20's, his play looks like a has been tough guy 35 something.
    Komiserak, this guy deflates a team like Wideman did.  He has the ability to be a game changer - for the worse.
    Both of these guys are capable, ready and willing to something totally stupid at any time.
    Versteeg and Armstrong, both seem like guys who show a ton of hope, but their numbers have been on the decline.  Would not surprise me to see one or both of these guys pull a Glenn Murray disappearing act.
    The age of GS and Jonas heart, big concerns.

There is parity in the league and anything can happen, but I would consider it miraculous if they made the playoffs.

For me, a Stanley cup is icing on the cake.  I value watching good hockey not that far below that.  I don't see anyone in the league that will dominate the Bruins.  I think the Bruins this coming season should have a reasonably good chance to beat anyone in the league.

A decent season, going deep into the playoffs and a first overall pick and I would be in heaven.  If that happens, then I could easily see the 2011-12 Bruins being the best team in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Hey! That could almost be said about the the B's.  My son and daughter are still calling me out for introducing them to the B's - and they are die hard B's fans living in the 905 region.
    Posted by Devanjan[/QUOTE]

The Bruins are nowhere near as horrible as the Leafs, especially when you consider who owns Toronto's draft picks.

If you don't believe me, ask a Chicago Blackhawks fan. They hadn't won a Stanley Cup since 1961, but that all changed this season. For a few years they finished in last place just like the Leafs, but now they have a roster full of young stars that they drafted and their team is …

What? No. No, the Leafs can't just go out and do that too. Because they don't have any draft picks, that's why. Because they gave them all to another team, OK? I don't know, because it seemed like a good idea at the time!

It's funny because it's true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

[QUOTE]oh. no. Phil lost 10 lbs. and has been working out in the off season? http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/09/17/15394616.html Darn.  The dream of that first overall pick is fading.

HAHA oh yeah now we've got no chance at a good pick... as if Kessel makes much of a difference anyway. Remember last year? "Wheeler adds 20 pounds of muscle, going to be more of a physical presence in 09/10" LOL and did that do anything for him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Richards certainly didn't help his team's cause either.  He's terribad.

Kadri's gonna get his clock cleaned if he goes around the NHL trying to take liberties like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

And so it begins!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker:[QUOTE] And Cherry is predicting they'll make the playoffs. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Cherry, Jeff Marek and Scotty Laughlin will always pump up the Laffs cause their homers but also they need to keep the viewers interested and the phone lines burning up. It's a huge hockey market probably the biggest so they've got to keep it positive unlike blogesalming and Bruins like me LoL!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

sens beat the leafs 5-0,,1st preseason game 2010

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Leafs played many of their regulars last night also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

oh. no.

Phil lost 10 lbs. and has been working out in the off season?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/09/17/15394616.html

Darn.  The dream of that first overall pick is fading.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Rookie game
    Leafs vs. Penguins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXE2LmWKGU

Makes me realize that their Finnish goalie prospect is pretty good, he kept them in the game the other night.

Spoiler - if you want to watch the vid for yourself...
    I like what I see in the Leafs rookies.  Losing a 1-1 game late in the game is exactly the kind of thing I like to see if they get a chance to make it to the bigs.  Leafs franchise is in serious trouble.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I see Kadri and Bozak and legitimate young studs.  After that, no one really stands out very much.  Draft day in 2011 should be fun...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Since I can't find the Bruins on anywhere tonight, I'm watching Leafs Flyers.

Versteeg doesn't look good to me.  Lashoff did something totally stupid and got clobbered in front of his own goal - with the puck.  Gustavsson kicked one into his own goal.

I hope this continues into the season.  We'll have a #1 next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Watched "hilights" and saw Phaneuf look awful on two of the goals.  Watched Gunnarson get hung out to dry.  Saw little to no offensive push from the Leafs.  Notice that they had an insane number of powerplays as well.

Only 87 games to go before we can count our draft pick winnings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker :  If he lost ten pounds it is because he did not go to McDs or Tim Hortons. Ha.  Don't wish anything negative but he is a dull tool! Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

You can lose ten pounds not going to Mickey Ds ? Hmmmm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : All the reporters were talking about how bad Phaneuf was.  It's just preseaon, don't read too much into this.  Funny note; Last night was free as Coke Cola paid for everyone's tickets to promote their Coke "Zero"  and that's exactly what the Leafs did ZERO!
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Hey, I've been saying for quite some time that Phaneuf's career might be taking a huge down turn.  You heard it here first.  I think something is going on with him to be honest, booze, drugs, maybe some injury or disease he's not disclosing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Hey, I've been saying for quite some time that Phaneuf's career might be taking a huge down turn.  You heard it here first.  I think something is going on with him to be honest, booze, drugs, maybe some injury or disease he's not disclosing.

I know and the trolls called you out and said the Bruins will not get a top 5 pick from the Leafs. Guess what ??? You were right on both accounts !!!!
    Phaneuf is going downs and Bruins got a top2 pick ! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Hey, I've been saying for quite some time that Phaneuf's career might be taking a huge down turn.  You heard it here first.  I think something is going on with him to be honest, booze, drugs, maybe some injury or disease he's not disclosing.

I don't think it's anything as dramatic as that. I think it's that he's a big, impressive-looking guy who made a big splash his first couple of years, raising expectations through the roof, but didn't continue to improve and in fact slid back a little bit. 

Found an interesting nugget:

A 2010 Sports Illustrated poll of 229 NHL players saw 21% of respondants name Phaneuf as the most overrated player in the league, three times as many votes as any other player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]We have our first results in. Rookie Game Leafs v Black Hawks. Leafs won 6-3, it was closer than it sounds. Have a look at the game: (game in 6 minutes) http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/toronto-maple-leafs/ bummer, Leafs rookies looked good in those clips. And Cherry is predicting they'll make the playoffs.

Kessel said he did not do anything different but work out with his brother and sister like he did last year.  If he lost ten pounds it is because he did not go to McDs or Tim Hortons. Ha.  Don't wish anything negative but he is a dull tool!