Toronto Record Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Toronto Record Tracker

And a really rough schedule remaining.

Last game of the season vs. Habs

Bruins, Pitts, Flyers twice each.
    Chicago TB Detroit NJ Washington.

At this moment in time, aside NJ, 5 games against teams lower than them in the standings the rest of the year.

That is a tough schedule.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker:
    I still think this little streak the Leafs are will cool off . Panthers threw in the towel and it shows.  After Stillman next is Weiss to go , then McCabe, then Wideman ?  Dave Tallon is cleaning house and loves nothing better than draft picks (high ones) .  Tanking the season and they'll finish behind the Leafs. Only the Devils can pass the Leafs and the Thrashers.  I think Atlanta is diving now. Even they might finish behind the Leafs. AND bruins8 Kessel's lover fanboy is back LOL.  You have to be kidding .
    Posted by BsLegion

Legion - It seems to be a yearly occurance with the Leafs even with versions of teams much worse than this year's edition.  Play better with the pressure off being out of the playoff hunt.  Let's hope the remainder of their schedule helps to bring them back down to earth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Legion - It seems to be a yearly occurance with the Leafs even with versions of teams much worse than this year's edition.  Play better with the pressure off being out of the playoff hunt.  Let's hope the remainder of their schedule helps to bring them back down to earth.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Actually I don't feel they're playing with pressure,  they're loose.  Soon the pressure will mount and we'll see things change. 
    Like BadHab above pointed out they have a real tough schedule.  I wish I can maneuver tickets for the game on the 19th. Let's see !
    Only question is will the teams around the Leafs win ?? I could see the Devils but the others the pressure got to them.
    BTW those Islanders are closer than we think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

The difference for the Leafs winning games lately is because they now have a goalie.. James Reimer seems to have given this team some stability back in the nets and the kid has played lights out.. Plus #81 seems to have awoken from his hibernation and is playing pretty good hockey, got to give the kid credit where its due... even setting up goals tonite..

Judging from what is going on in Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta , even the Rangers are all beatable.. As for the Leafs schedule.. That's why they play the games.. Playoffs are becoming a reality for this team and will motivate them in games if they are playing for something.. Right now it would be pick #8 and dropping..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The difference for the Leafs winning games lately is because they now have a goalie.. James Reimer seems to have given this team some stability back in the nets and the kid has played lights out.. Plus #81 seems to have awoken from his hibernation and is playing pretty good hockey, got to give the kid credit where its due... even setting up goals tonite.. Judging from what is going on in Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta , even the Rangers are all beatable.. As for the Leafs schedule.. That's why they play the games.. Playoffs are becoming a reality for this team and will motivate them in games if they are playing for something.. Right now it would be pick #8 and dropping..
    Posted by cowboys9

Playoffs are becoming a reality for this team?

5 games left in the season against teams lower than them in the standings for the rest of the year, one of them being the Devils.

That's a bit of an obstacle to the playoffs.

Sure the goalie is hot, but this kid had bounced between the Marlies and the ECHL just 2 years ago.  Whether he keeps it up or not, I wouldn't bet on him.  Hot streaks by goalies that end up out of hockey in a year isn't exactly an unknown thing, Blane Lacher ring a bell?

Will Kessel continue his current play?  He started the season playing like he is now, interestingly he gets more goals when he skates boths ways.  For him to continue, again, maybe, but it's not like he's proven he can continue like that.

Tonight the Habs went into a coma after their last goal, previous to that in the 3rd period they were doing whatever they wanted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

<<5 games left in the season against teams lower than them in the standings for the rest of the year, one of them being the Devils.>>

I find this comment a bit funny.  When you are near the bottom the standings as the leafs have been isn't just about every game against someone ahead of you in the standings? I think on this current run they beat Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Florida and Carolina who were all ahead of them? 

<<They lost 1 of their top offensive players and their best defensive player.....by season end they'll drop like stone />>
    Kaberle is not a difference maker on the Leafs except when part of the PP which has been near the worst in the league.  On this team, Kaberle hurt the Leafs more then he helped because there isn't as much quality up front to handle his great passing.  I don't see this actually impacting the Leafs 1 way or the other.  His defensive liability offset his offensive upside on this Leaf team.  He will be much more effective in Boston.  And Beauchmin was NOT their top defenseman; Schenn has been all season long and great again last night.  Aulie has been very good in place of Beauchmin without making the horrible passes that Beauchmin is known for up here...

As far as making the playoffs, I don't think the Leafs can pull it off with so many teams in the mix.  They have a chance and it will come down to the one thing that means the most in any streak, a hot goaltender.  You've seen what goaltending has done for the Bruins, especially last year and early this year; well that's what the Leafs are getting now.  All bets are off when you have a hot goalie and it makes everyone on the team better.

My prediction:  If Kessel, who has 25 goals, hits 35+ goals the Leafs will make the playoffs. A tall order, but should be fun for a change in leafland...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : Actually I don't feel they're playing with pressure,  they're loose.  Soon the pressure will mount and we'll see things change.  Like BadHab above pointed out they have a real tough schedule.  I wish I can maneuver tickets for the game on the 19th. Let's see ! Only question is will the teams around the Leafs win ?? I could see the Devils but the others the pressure got to them. BTW those Islanders are closer than we think.
    Posted by BsLegion

Legion, you're right in your thoughts of them feeling no pressure to make the playoffs.  I'd posted in another thread that Wilson was on radio earlier in the week saying the reason the club has hit an 8-2-2 streak is because the AHL callups (i.e., Reimer, Aulie) know should they not provide maximum effort, they'll be sent back down.  He said they've gotten a taste of big-league life and they like it and want to keep it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

who cares if we get 1,10 pick none of them will help the bs next season..look at all they hype behind seguin...he doesnt even belong in nhl this yr....1-7 is a toss up from what i read anyway

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

<<5 games left in the season against teams lower than them in the standings for the rest of the year, one of them being the Devils. />> I find this comment a bit funny.  When you are near the bottom the standings as the leafs have been isn't just about every game against someone ahead of you in the standings? I think on this current run they beat Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Florida and Carolina who were all ahead of them?  <<They lost 1 of their top offensive players and their best defensive player.....by season end they'll drop like stone />> Kaberle is not a difference maker on the Leafs except when part of the PP which has been near the worst in the league.  On this team, Kaberle hurt the Leafs more then he helped because there isn't as much quality up front to handle his great passing.  I don't see this actually impacting the Leafs 1 way or the other.  His defensive liability offset his offensive upside on this Leaf team.  He will be much more effective in Boston.  And Beauchmin was NOT their top defenseman; Schenn has been all season long and great again last night.  Aulie has been very good in place of Beauchmin without making the horrible passes that Beauchmin is known for up here... As far as making the playoffs, I don't think the Leafs can pull it off with so many teams in the mix.  They have a chance and it will come down to the one thing that means the most in any streak, a hot goaltender.  You've seen what goaltending has done for the Bruins, especially last year and early this year; well that's what the Leafs are getting now.  All bets are off when you have a hot goalie and it makes everyone on the team better. My prediction:  If Kessel, who has 25 goals, hits 35+ goals the Leafs will make the playoffs. A tall order, but should be fun for a change in leafland...
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Well said, LRH, as usual.  If you live in or around the G. T. A. as I do, you must know today the Leafs are on the minds of their legion of fans as well they should be.  Although they tend to do this hot run yearly, it seems this year has a particular tinge to it possibly due to them being so close to an unexpected playoff spot at this late juncture.  Full props to them for their inspired play. 

I'd warn their supporters to beware of evaluating the club during this time as one has to wonder if this is the true abilities of the team finally surfacing among the moves Burke has made, in particular the promotion of Reimer or is the club that languished in the 26th to 28th spot the genuine Leaf article?  Cheers, buddy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Carolina beat the Pens 4-1 tonight.  Good.  Put some distance between them and the Leafs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

Fla. over Atl. in shootout. Was hoping for a 3 point game there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Carolina beat the Pens 4-1 tonight.  Good.  Put some distance between them and the Leafs.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

In that game Eric Staal got a border line elbow to the head and left the ice. Doesn't anyone know if he's okay ?  Will he play against the Habs tonight ?
    Without Staal the Canes are toast and the Leafs might leap over them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : In that game Eric Staal got a border line elbow to the head and left the ice. Doesn't anyone know if he's okay ?  Will he play against the Habs tonight ? Without Staal the Canes are toast and the Leafs might leap over them.
    Posted by BsLegion

nhl network said this morning he wasn't going to mtl. upper body injury.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Record Tracker : nhl network said this morning he wasn't going to mtl. upper body injury.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

OUCH !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Crazy game v PIT right now. TOR may have scored 5 so far but Fleury needs to revisit a few of those. Still, they look better than a month ago, let's hope they slow down. Kessel is on 2 points but with (as usual) a minus 2.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Looks like the Pens sacrificed some defense to accomodate Kovalev and Neal....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Agreed walters. But even with Goligoski, they are thin right now with all the injuries. Can't believe I'm saying this, but, come on Pitt..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Hard to believe these are the same Penguins that were so good early in the season and the same leafs that were so bad.... you know the buds are playing out of this world when even Phaneuf scores.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Hahahaha, did you see the expression on his face when he scored?? Almost in disbelief that he actually found the back of the net. It's going to be a thriller end of the reg season, that's for sure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hehehe...looks like overtime. God I hope the Pens pull this one out and deflate the leafs, if only temporary.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ugh, the way the CBC announcers are talking up "Mr. AHL" Reimer is making me sick....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yes, Pens win the shootout....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

I don't understand why, he's got awful rebound control. How many pucks landed right in the crease after his initial "save"? Yeh, good job PIT, hopefully that takes the wind out of Leafs' sails.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

To me Reimer didn't look all that great tonight.

Sections
Shortcuts