Toronto Shanahans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Toronto Shanahans

Say what you want about Brendan Shanahan as league disciplinarian, he's a guy who makes noticeable changes that announce he's leading you...somewhere.  The video explanations and attempts to be open and transparent about the decision-making process on supplementary discipline was clearly a response to fans feeling that it was all Gregory's daddy puffing a cigar and making decisions based on personal relationships.  In the videos, he tried to give the impression that there were a number of elements in play and that decisions were taken by considering all of the factors involved.  Unfortunately, in the rush to create comprehensible, concrete conditions that would make a difference in supplementary discipline - injury on the play? penalty called on the ice? spontaneous play or did things build to an incident? - they only made the concrete conditions seem arbitrarily chosen - why should it matter if the 'victim' was fortunate enough to avoid injury?; refs miss calls all the time; why is that one player responsible for the actions of others? - and made the subjective decisions stand out all the more starkly.  "Lucic wasn't trying to hit Miller."  "Cooke doesn't deliberately stomp Karlsson's ankle."  So - it was a proactive idea that failed in the execution, but he identified something that was lacking and tried to address it.

Now that he's Laffs President, you can see him doing the same thing.  He's almost like the Sox or the Cubs getting superstitious and trying to remove curses.  First he hires Du(m)bas(s) signalling that the Leafs are going to try to get on the front end of the curve for using advanced stats in personnel decisions; completely the opposite direction of the Ballard era or the Fletcher days.  Now he's gotten MLSE to completely reverse their position to erase the memorabilia of past glory at the ACC.  They're giving rings to the players in the 60s who didn't get rings, or a ring for every Cup they won.  They're going to put up statues of past greats (they announced that Ted Kennedy will be the first one today - thus the thread).  It's like they want to make peace with the past glory some fans still remember but also be innovative.  All of this sounds like Shanahan's leadership to me based on how he's worked in the past.  The question, though, is whether this will be another "suspension videos" flop or can he mend both the team's image and its on ice product.

(Offer him Camara and Bartkowski for Kessel straight up.  Tell him their Corsiwickflavuflavvin!+/-% is 4(x)/yz+(3*3.1415/99).  Retained salary transaction and voila!  Third line RW.)

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Toronto Shanahans

"All of this sounds like Shanahan's leadership to me based on how he's worked in the past. The question, though, is whether this will be another "suspension videos" flop or can he mend both the team's image and its on ice product."

Will Shanahammer be given the right amount of time to make Leafs good ?

Shanhan has inherited two bad contracts and maybe one more in Tyler Bozak's, if there isn't improvement in goal output. He'll need to fill 5 forwards, 1 goalie and two defenseman with about $20M next summer that includes Kadri and Bernier. No small task.

"One thing left on Shanahan's off-season to-do list was meeting with captain Dion Phaneuf, who will be starting a US$49-million, seven-year contract signed at the Winter Classic. Shanahan seemed ready to make his trip to Prince Edward Island to see Phaneuf. "We've scheduled some time to spend together," Shanahan said. "I think he's out catching me some lobsters right now."

Lobsta ?

So maybe Clarkson is out catching some ?...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

To me it seems that "Sherriff" Shanny is just continuing on what Burke started when he was GM, it seemed every Saturday night that i tuned into a Lerf game they were honouring either a past winning SC team or an ex Lerf great and i would change the channel and come back in 30 mins when it was over. Maybe making amends for the Ballard era,where he alienated a few past Lerfs,Keon being the most prominent. They are sold out every night so its not like they have to sell tickets, like the B's having a Johnny Bucyk night every few years so they could at least guarantee a sell-out during the MOC years. Its likely a tactic to make current players take pride in being a Lerf and actually show that they did win there once,even if it was way back in the six team era. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

He'll fail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To me it seems that "Sherriff" Shanny is just continuing on what Burke started when he was GM, it seemed every Saturday night that i tuned into a Lerf game they were honouring either a past winning SC team or an ex Lerf great and i would change the channel and come back in 30 mins when it was over. Maybe making amends for the Ballard era,where he alienated a few past Lerfs,Keon being the most prominent. They are sold out every night so its not like they have to sell tickets, like the B's having a Johnny Bucyk night every few years so they could at least guarantee a sell-out during the MOC years. Its likely a tactic to make current players take pride in being a Lerf and actually show that they did win there once,even if it was way back in the six team era. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

The more time goes by, the more 1967 creates two Leaf franchises: the powerhouse franchise that, as of 1967, had  played in one fewer Finals and won one fewer Cup than the Canadiens, and since 1967, the sad sack losers who haven't even made the finals let alone won.  The team with crazy ownership from a madman grocery clerk to a pension fund.  The team with a reputation for being such a cash cow that ownership doesn't need to ice a winner or even, really, a competitive team to gorge itself at the trough.  Lieuweke (or however you spell it) was an idiot to think that you'd improve that situation by removing the reminders of past glory that make the current product look lackluster - it looks lackluster all on its own!  Shanahan's following a more conventional model in emphasizing continuity. 

The reconciliation efforts started under Dryden - I think he had the first conversations with Keon, the most vocal and intransigent former Leaf.  Burke followed that up, and now Shanahan's continuing it, but it feels less of a promotional gimmick because they're putting real coin into this.  Having the Cup winners from the 60s in for a night is about all about the business; buying them all rings feels more about the tradition, the players.  Same thing with banners v. statues.

[object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He'll fail.

[/QUOTE]

Show your work....

Because they're the Leafs or because his record suggests no good idea goes unpunished?

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He'll fail.

[/QUOTE]

Show your work....

Because they're the Leafs or because his record suggests no good idea goes unpunished?

[/QUOTE]

Need to re-fuel...just trying to throw the title out there for now...work meeting...back later...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I thought the videos were fine, helpful, useful.  Fans mock EVERYTHING, so it was no surprise he caught a lot of grief for his work.

Recognizing the history of a team is cool.  I don't think it'll change their fortunes on the ice, but considering the history, any new direction is good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Despite Sheriff Shanny's efforts to make the discipline process more transparent, which he did quite well, he still made poor decisions in handing out suspensions and fines. My impression of him remains the same. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed. He'll come up with plenty of things that are likely the right thing to do to make the team better but will be poorly executed and the leafies will continue to blow in the wind.

I like your kessel trade....I even think Shanny would buy your formula. But kessel is a 4th line RW on this team. :P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like your kessel trade....I even think Shanny would buy your formula. But kessel is a 4th line RW on this team. :P

[/QUOTE]

Nah, he still can't backcheck :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The celebrating of history can go a little far, especially if the history is either pretty distant, or just not that special at all.  The Avs are totally out of hand with this.  Countless reunions of the championship teams, front office jobs for anyone on those teams, and they retire another guy's jersey every year (Adam Foote...??).  There's a difference between celebrating the past and desperately trying to squeeze a little more mileage out of a former winner, just to give current fans some taste of success, albeit a stale one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Shanahan, but I really don't see him having success unless he really gets a chance to re-construct.  I think the roster is, more or less, the same amorphous mess it has been for a while.  I think they're worse than the year they almost beat the Bruins.  The roster looks to have a 52-card pick-up style of organization.  The goaltending is a huge question mark -- two guys who have sown some promise but neither would be considered a lock at #1, on a team that needs stability back there.  The forwards are an odd combination of high end talent along with proven inconsistency and streakiness.  I think they parted ways with two pretty good ones in Grabovski and Kulemin, although I realize that you had to eliminate a few among the glut of 2nd-line forwards they had there.

Interesting that Book hit on the Lucic-Simmonds comparison in another thread, because I was thinking about how very rare a good power forward is in regards to Clarkson.  Throw out the high scoring stars that happen to be big, like Malkin and Ovie.  There seems to be so few guys that can really play the power forward role as a complimentary winger, the way Lucic does.  I think that Simmonds might be closest now, but he's just not as ferocious.  Clarkson might have better hands, but his skating and hitting aren't that great.  I thought Brouwer might develop that way...not really.  It just seems like Clarkson could be a real catalyst if he became a good 1st line power forward who could give Kessel space the way Lucic does for his skill linemates.  Kadri, Bozak Lupul, JVR etc....eh...we'll see.  Half the forwards aren't signed past next year -- that'll be Shanny's chance to show his stuff.

I think the defense is pretty good.  Phaneuf and Gardiner is an pretty good top pairing.  Franson and Robidas could be a very good second pairing.  Did I mention Tim Gleason?  No.

I say more 'growing pains' in Toronto are ahead.  And it's gonna be hard to be patient there, as always.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nah, he still can't backcheck :)

[/QUOTE]

Well, I saw a TML fan post a while back that Kessel has become a 3 zone player and will someday win a selke. I figure the guy knows what he's talking about :P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, I saw a TML fan post a while back that Kessel has become a 3 zone player and will someday win a selke. I figure the guy knows what he's talking about :P

[/QUOTE]

haha....TSN website I presume? Those guys that post on their are just insufferable. I remember the outrage by their ilk when "optimus reim" was left off the 2013 Team Canada camp roster....he was totally going to win the Vezina that year you know!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

81 and Selke will never mix. He is too easily pushed off the puck to play some defense and will never kill penalties. They are delusional.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

I think hockey is the only sport that you can (often) steal a game on raw emotion. If that's pride, good enough. You want the players to have a lot of pride in the jersey they wear (especially an 'original 6 team). If you can get a couple of them to say, "Wow, look at this sweater...X or Y wore this same sweater". You know...pride in the logo, etc. That's why you gotta keep the 'old guys' memories alive. We got the 'flying Orr statue"...Tampa has Esposito right out front. I know it kinda hokey, but it counts. Shanahan tries...does it all work? Of course not, but give him credit where it's due. There is no reason to ridicule the man for trying to get something going.

Sections
Shortcuts