Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded

I don't want to see this pick get traded.  True that picks 1-5 or 1-8 (depending on who you talk to) are virtually the same, but I'd like to see us have our pick.

And it looks to me that Toronto is more likely to sink then they are to get better, especially with the Devils heating up and their schedule is getting tougher.

I can't think of a deal that could honestly and feasibly happen that would compensate for top 5 pick.

Plus, out of whoever is available, I am not convinced anyone could put us over the top.

It can't be a rental, a rental is way way too expensive for Toronto's pick.

Move something else, but keep Toronto's pick.

And remember last year all of you who were losing their minds about getting Kovalchuk at any cost.

You know who you are.

You were SCREAMING for Kovalchuk and last year's trading deadline was make or break for PC.

The trend is in the right direction.  Slow and steady wins the race.  I'd rather see a perenial cup contender rather than go for it just once.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Re: Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded

That would be a tough decision to make Badhab, I thought is it was a clever ploy by Chia, to announce he might use the Toronto pick in a deal. He will certainly field some interesting offers for sure, but it would have to blow his socks off, for him to let that pick go. Me thinks that he lucked out getting Seguin in last years draft, so he's playing with house money with this years pick. If he can make a deal that makes us better without changing the core group I say go for it , otherwise hold onto it, and see what happens on draft day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Agreed 100%.  Move other assets to get some insurance for a playoff run, but don't move that pick.  The nucleus of the team is young, even Chara probably has close to 10 years ahead of him.  We can contend every year if we have new talent coming up.  Imagine Seguin, Krejci and Bergeron 3 years from now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

The only player I can see worth packaging TOR 1st for is Zach Parise. He is still injured, but he is also a RFA at the end of the year so there is little worry we'll lose him in the off season. It's a move that could help in this seasons playoff run and definitely will help the team in future seasons.

Zach Parise's Playoff Statistics

GP G   A   P
    37 13-15-28

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded:
    [QUOTE]   The only player I can see worth packaging TOR 1st for is Zach Parise. He is still injured, but he is also a RFA at the end of the year so there is little worry we'll lose him in the off season. It's a move that could help in this seasons playoff run and definitely will help the team in future seasons. Zach Parise's Playoff Statistics GP G   A   P 37 13-15-28
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

And touches upon my other thought - that Parise and anyone like him - nobody's going to let them go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Savvvy. Show Savvvy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : And touches upon my other thought - that Parise and anyone like him - nobody's going to let them go.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Some one big time would have to be coming back. The leafs will do good through Feb as they have a ridiculously easy schedule, but March looks like it will be a little tougher for them.

They Key is the B's have to go 3-0 against them the rest of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to see this pick get traded.  True that picks 1-5 or 1-8 (depending on who you talk to) are virtually the same, but I'd like to see us have our pick. And it looks to me that Toronto is more likely to sink then they are to get better, especially with the Devils heating up and their schedule is getting tougher. I can't think of a deal that could honestly and feasibly happen that would compensate for top 5 pick. Plus, out of whoever is available, I am not convinced anyone could put us over the top. It can't be a rental, a rental is way way too expensive for Toronto's pick. Move something else, but keep Toronto's pick. And remember last year all of you who were losing their minds about getting Kovalchuk at any cost. You know who you are. You were SCREAMING for Kovalchuk and last year's trading deadline was make or break for PC. The trend is in the right direction.  Slow and steady wins the race.  I'd rather see a perenial cup contender rather than go for it just once.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want to see this pick get traded.  True that picks 1-5 or 1-8 (depending on who you talk to) are virtually the same, but I'd like to see us have our pick. And it looks to me that Toronto is more likely to sink then they are to get better, especially with the Devils heating up and their schedule is getting tougher. I can't think of a deal that could honestly and feasibly happen that would compensate for top 5 pick. Plus, out of whoever is available, I am not convinced anyone could put us over the top. It can't be a rental, a rental is way way too expensive for Toronto's pick. Move something else, but keep Toronto's pick. And remember last year all of you who were losing their minds about getting Kovalchuk at any cost. You know who you are. You were SCREAMING for Kovalchuk and last year's trading deadline was make or break for PC. The trend is in the right direction.  Slow and steady wins the race.  I'd rather see a perenial cup contender rather than go for it just once.
    For what it's worth I think the Bruins should hold on to it as well, unless it's packaged together for an impact addition, which is unlikely in the NHL salary cap era.

Having said that, Kovey is 'on fire' and a threat everytime he touched the puck last night.  I don't think he's worth the money they spent on him, but he's still a special player

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Parise is an interesting story though with the Devils tanking and the rumor that the ownership group could sell the team. I'd give up Toronto's 1st, Boston's first in 2012, Colbourne, Sauve or another prospect, and another Bs player to get him. I think that could possibly get it done if the Devils don't think they could resign Parise. If they think they can sign him, he's not moving.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I agree that Parise is the only player that the bruins should give the Toronto's 1st pick. The NJD since Lemaire took over the coaching reigns are playing hockey again. Kovalchuk and Parise will be the franchise's players and the Devils will be selling off more players before deadline to make space to sign Parise. The NJD will be looking for goaltending to replace veteran Brodeur, unless they have a netminder already in the system. If I happen to be a NJD fan and they traded Parise I would be very pee'ed off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I have stated previously, don't sell the farm. just for this year.  However, IF Parise was available, I'd be willing to part with a few acres, including TO's pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I agree with most of you guys...if it is for Parise with an extension to his contract i would do it.  Otherwise keep it.  We still have our 1st round pick that could attrack some teams. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE] I'd rather see a perenial cup contender rather than go for it just once.

You trade a pick for a legit Stanley Cup run 100 times out of 100.

When you've been cupless for 40 years, you do it 200 times out of 100.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

None of us WANT to see the pick get moved but if it helps acquire a player that TRULY makes the Bruins a Cup threat,by all means,trade it.I stick up for the team and management more than most folks but even I am getting tired of the wait until next year mentality.That said,I'm also not interested in moving a lottery pick for a rental.I don't think PC moves the pick unless he gets a player that's locked in for a few more years or,like Bogosian,has RFA status with the team continuing to hold his rights.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : None of us WANT to see the pick get moved but if it helps acquire a player that TRULY makes the Bruins a Cup threat,by all means,trade it.I stick up for the team and management more than most folks but even I am getting tired of the wait until next year mentality.That said,I'm also not interested in moving a lottery pick for a rental.I don't think PC moves the pick unless he gets a player that's locked in for a few more years or,like Bogosian,has RFA status with the team continuing to hold his rights.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I want it now but....  I like Chia's "level headedness".  That's why he's the GM and not us!  I wanted a move last year at the deadline, and was disappointed when it didn't come.  After analyzing it a bit I'm glad he didn't do something stupid.  I trust him with this pick.  Again, put yourself in good position year after year and when the right move presents itself, take it.  No need to force it if you are a perennial contender.  Model the franchise after Detriot.  I'd be happy with that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : You trade a pick for a legit Stanley Cup run 100 times out of 100. When you've been cupless for 40 years, you do it 200 times out of 100.
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady[/QUOTE]

And I don't think the deal is out there that will put us in much better shape for a cup run.

The people that think there is such a deal will talk themselves into the idea that IF we pulled the trigger we would have a cup for sure.

Again, how many people thought Kovalchuk was THE answer last year?

Not to insult you folks as even KDP was getting all agitated about Kovalchuk, but look what COULD have happened, we could have ended up exactly like the Devils.  Exactly.  Great goalie, key player hurt, underachieving big money guy and missing the playoffs.

Pick a poison;
    a) a good playoff run that falls short in the finals - and then not making the playoffs for a few years
    b) losing in the 2nd round for a few years with great potential in 2-3 years.

Neither one of these poisons taste all that great, but I would take b every time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : And I don't think the deal is out there that will put us in much better shape for a cup run. The people that think there is such a deal will talk themselves into the idea that IF we pulled the trigger we would have a cup for sure. Again, how many people thought Kovalchuk was THE answer last year? Not to insult you folks as even KDP was getting all agitated about Kovalchuk, but look what COULD have happened, we could have ended up exactly like the Devils.  Exactly.  Great goalie, key player hurt, underachieving big money guy and missing the playoffs. Pick a poison; a) a good playoff run that falls short in the finals - and then not making the playoffs for a few years b) losing in the 2nd round for a few years with great potential in 2-3 years. Neither one of these poisons taste all that great, but I would take b every time.

That might not be the best way to word it.  I think what you want to suggest is, say
    a) Make a trade that gives you a 30% chance to win this year, but means going down to 15% the next two years or
    b) have a 20% chance each of the three years.

Either way, your chance of winning the cup once over the three years is about the same, but if you take option 'a' and blow it, you are stuck for two years.

If you could boost your chance to more than 30%, maybe it would be worth it, but teams and deals in that situation are really rare, I think.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : None of us WANT to see the pick get moved but if it helps acquire a player that TRULY makes the Bruins a Cup threat,by all means,trade it.I stick up for the team and management more than most folks but even I am getting tired of the wait until next year mentality.That said,I'm also not interested in moving a lottery pick for a rental.I don't think PC moves the pick unless he gets a player that's locked in for a few more years or,like Bogosian,has RFA status with the team continuing to hold his rights.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

My guess is a roster rental,(someone Sturm like, who will go for prospects) because of the Savard situation.  Who knows if he'll be back.  I think it's at least 50-50.  The picks will only come in play if it's for a player the B's want around for a while, and he'd probably carry a pretty high price tag.  I'd be surprised if PC goes that route until he knows if Savard will continue to be a cap hit/budget hit moving forward.  His cap hit next year is just north of 4 mil, but they'll be paying him 7... if he comes back.  A home run deal could really tie PC's hand next year, if Savard plays, and I don't think he'd move the picks unless it was something big, and he was clear on Savards health .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : And I don't think the deal is out there that will put us in much better shape for a cup run. The people that think there is such a deal will talk themselves into the idea that IF we pulled the trigger we would have a cup for sure. Again, how many people thought Kovalchuk was THE answer last year? Not to insult you folks as even KDP was getting all agitated about Kovalchuk, but look what COULD have happened, we could have ended up exactly like the Devils.  Exactly.  Great goalie, key player hurt, underachieving big money guy and missing the playoffs. Pick a poison; a) a good playoff run that falls short in the finals - and then not making the playoffs for a few years b) losing in the 2nd round for a few years with great potential in 2-3 years. Neither one of these poisons taste all that great, but I would take b every time.
    How could trading the pick affect the core players that Boston already has in place?I don't see moving the pick as mortgaging the future by any means.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : My guess is a roster rental,(someone Sturm like, who will go for prospects) because of the Savard situation.  Who knows if he'll be back.  I think it's at least 50-50.  The picks will only come in play if it's for a player the B's want around for a while, and he'd probably carry a pretty high price tag.  I'd be surprised if PC goes that route until he knows if Savard will continue to be a cap hit/budget hit moving forward.  His cap hit next year is just north of 4 mil, but they'll be paying him 7... if he comes back.  A home run deal could really tie PC's hand next year, if Savard plays, and I don't think he'd move the picks unless it was something big, and he was clear on Savards health .
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Toronto's pick - I don't want to see it traded : For what it's worth I think the Bruins should hold on to it as well, unless it's packaged together for an impact addition, which is unlikely in the NHL salary cap era. .............
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

Saved me from the keyboard LRH.  Most trade proposals are like buying a lottery ticket... you might win 7 bucks, or even 2k but more than likely nothing at all.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennyBizz. Show KennyBizz's posts

I live in Toronto and I will say this, I see the leafs falling apart soon.  especially if they lose Versteeg and Kaberle.  they had a couple soft games this week and have taken 5 out of 6 points of late, but i see the collapse coming. No way they can keep that up.   Hold that leaf pick Chia, if anything deal our pick  ( yes I said "our").  If Nashville can land Carrie Fisher with a 1st, B's should be able to pull something substantial.  I believe we have 4 picks in the 1st, 2 rounds?.. (correct me if I'm wrong)  Keep rolling B's!!
    Should be an interesting couple weeks,  lots to work prospects to play with too.
    K-Bizz

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That has to be on Chiarelli's mind Kenny the Leafs a week or two form now will be allot worse without Versteeg and Kaberle. Good chance PC might hang onto it " I thought is it was a clever ploy by Chia, to announce he might use the Toronto pick in a deal" as did I. PCs blackberry must be going crazy right now.

The TO #1 for Shea Weber at the draft has a great ring to it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

first round picks were gold before the salary cap, now they are platinum. the last team to win a cup after trading for a high end player at the deadline was.......anyone?