Torres Gets 25 Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Torres Gets 25 Games

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393821

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Re: Torres Gets 25 Games

In Response to Torres Gets 25 Games:

50 Below was correct.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Shanny didn't show the time Torres targeted Ference's head. Of course, then he would have had to show Sheriff McQuaid handing out the appropriate justice. I hope the Hawks watch that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Shanahan video:
    http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=173753

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Shanahan has done an awful lot there to revive his reputation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

WTH? I don't care either way, but that is goddamn ridiculous. Basically what this ruling says is that the NHL will keep turning a blind eye to dirty stuff from stars/players with little to no history and then use guys like Torres as a scapegoat to shut all the KPDs of the world up. What a joke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games:
    WTH? I don't care either way, but that is goddamn ridiculous. Basically what this ruling say is that the NHL will keep turning a blind eye to dirty stuff from stars/players with little to no history and then use guys like Torres as a scapegoat to shut all the KPDs of the world up. What a joke.
    Posted by RawrBear

I didn't look at that way......yet.  I looked at it as a message to the rest of the league saying, "enough is enough".  But we'll have to see how Shanny reacts to hits moving forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : I didn't look at that way......yet.  I looked at it as a message to the rest of the league saying, "enough is enough".  But we'll have to see how Shanny reacts to hits moving forward.
    Posted by jalvis

As I said the way he reacts will depend more on the player/team than the actual hit. That's how it's been all year. That's how this hit was judged. I don't care if all the self-appointed hockey experts think this is great because Torres is being used as a scapegoat and will be used to justify previous lack of deserved supplemental discipline as well as dirty crap in the future that goes magically unpunished.

"Oh I can't believe so and so didn't get suspended but at least Torres was suspended for 25 games for his dime a dozen hit so it's all good."

Neal got one game and Torres got 25? Neal is a repeat offender.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm happy with this but I wish it were the rest of the playoffs and then the first 25 games next season. 

Players don't get paid in the playoffs, so the deeper Phoenix goes, the less it's going to cost Torres in salary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : I didn't look at that way......yet.  I looked at it as a message to the rest of the league saying, "enough is enough".  But we'll have to see how Shanny reacts to hits moving forward.
    Posted by jalvis

I agree.  This is a combination of "you think I'm joking? Try me" and "people make mistakes, the second or third time, it's no mistake".

Ring 'em up, Shanny.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

WTH? I don't care either way, but that is goddamn ridiculous. Basically what this ruling says is that the NHL will keep turning a blind eye to dirty stuff from stars/players with little to no history and then use guys like Torres as a scapegoat to shut all the KPDs of the world up. What a joke.    
    Posted by RawrBear

Which star players are taking head shots and getting away with it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I'm happy with this but I wish it were the rest of the playoffs and then the first 25 games next season.  Players don't get paid in the playoffs, so the deeper Phoenix goes, the less it's going to cost Torres in salary.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Totally agree.  THAT would be a message.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : As I said the way he reacts will depend more on the player/team than the actual hit. That's how it's been all year. That's how this hit was judged. I don't care if all the self-appointed hockey experts think this is great because Torres is being used as a scapegoat and will be used to justify previous lack of deserved supplemental discipline as well as dirty crap in the future that goes magically unpunished. "Oh I can't believe so and so didn't get suspended but at least Torres was suspended for 25 games for his dime a dozen hit so it's all good." Neal got one game and Torres got 25? Neal is a repeat offender.
    Posted by RawrBear

I think I understand your point, that the non-stars will get the disproportionate suspension time.

That said, Torres is really one of the bad guys here.  He's been suspended multiple times and probably deserved more than he has received.  I shed no tears for this dirt-bag.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : Which star players are taking head shots and getting away with it?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Neal, Malkin, Malkin on Crosby last night(lol), Weber did a WWE move on Zetterburg in the first game of that series which I'm sure you knew, Ovechkin crosscheck to Seidenbergs head, etc.

Want more I'll give 'em... just gotta give me some time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : Which star players are taking head shots and getting away with it?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Wouldn't you start with Weber, Neal and Backstrom?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Oh yea, Backstrom..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : Wouldn't you start with Weber, Neal and Backstrom?
    Posted by Crowls2424

Some may.  I wouldn't.

Weber (on Zetterberg, right?) did next to nothing and people have him up on a cross.  Zetterberg wears a helmet.  Weber knows Zetterberg wears a helmet.  Zetterberg has a face shield.  Weber knows Zetterberg wears a face shield.  Furthermore, it was a grab and push with next to no force behind it.  How much injury could be caused?  As I've stated before, a face wash carries more potential harm than this move.  Roughing is a good call here, along with a fine for being a DB.

Neal isn't a star yet.  But, reviewing it anyway, neither was a head shot.  He jumped into both players but didn't wallop them in the bean.  Had he not left his feet on either occasion, the first play is interference, the second isn't even a penalty.

Backstrom:  Cross check to the shield.  One game suspension.  First time offender.  Seems about right to me.

Who else ya got for me?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm happy with this but I wish it were the rest of the playoffs and then the first 25 games next season.  Players don't get paid in the playoffs, so the deeper Phoenix goes, the less it's going to cost Torres in salary.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'm guessing he loses his playoff share. The deeper they go the more money they get.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : Neal, Malkin, Malkin on Crosby last night(lol), Weber did a WWE move on Zetterburg in the first game of that series which I'm sure you knew, Ovechkin crosscheck to Seidenbergs head, etc. Want more I'll give 'em... just gotta give me some time.
    Posted by RawrBear

Malkin on Couturier looks like inadvertent contact at worst.  He doesn't throw the elbow out or anything like that.  It wasn't a brutal full force check.  Malkin was penalized.  I addressed Weber and Neal in my other post.

Yes, I'd like more examples of star players that throw headshots and get away with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : Some may.  I wouldn't. Weber (on Zetterberg, right?) did next to nothing and people have him up on a cross.  Zetterberg wears a helmet.  Weber knows Zetterberg wears a helmet.  Zetterberg has a face shield.  Weber knows Zetterberg wears a face shield.  Furthermore, it was a grab and push with next to no force behind it.  How much injury could be caused?  As I've stated before, a face wash carries more potential harm than this move.  Roughing is a good call here, along with a fine for being a DB. Neal isn't a star yet.  But, reviewing it anyway, neither was a head shot.  He jumped into both players but didn't wallop them in the bean.  Had he not left his feet on either occasion, the first play is interference, the second isn't even a penalty. Backstrom:  Cross check to the shield.  One game suspension.  First time offender.  Seems about right to me. Who else ya got for me?

Posted by Not-A-Shot

So when Lucic or Chara does the slamming the head into the board thing to Ovechkin or Backstrom at the end of the game do you predict the max will be a $2500 fine?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

NAS, the same way you're explaining away all of those incidents, the Torres hit on Hossa could be explained away. See where I'm going here? There is a definite bias in the decisions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : So when Lucic or Chara does the slamming the head into the board thing to Ovechkin or Backstrom at the end of the game do you predict the max will be a $2500 fine?
    Posted by RawrBear

What else would it be?  You can't get suspended for being rude or disrespectful. 

And let's not refer to it as "slamming".  This wasn't even a violent action.  It was rude and demeaning, but it was nothing more than a push.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS, the same way you're explaining away all of those incidents, the Torres hit on Hossa could be explained away. See where I'm going here? There is a definite bias in the decisions.
    Posted by RawrBear

Torres is known for hitting guys in the head.  Torres has been suspended before for dirty plays.  Torres is a reckless, vicious, dirty hockey player.  If he had 50 goals this year and had the same checkered resume, I think he'd have the same punishment.

Is Weber known for being disrespectful and has he been suspended for it before?

Is Neal a repeat offender who has been called to the mat for jumping into checks?

How many times has Backstrom had to talk to Shanahan for cross checking guys in the face or shield?

The first time you get busted for a crime, unless it's a capital offense, you get off easy compared to the maximum sentence.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Torres Gets 25 Games : What else would it be?  You can't get suspended for being rude or disrespectful.  And let's not refer to it as "slamming".  This wasn't even a violent action.  It was rude and demeaning, but it was nothing more than a push.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I actually thought the hit Zetterberg put on Weber right before was more dangerous, Weber then took matters into his own hands.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

On the other hand, Duncan Keith gets a meaningless 5 games at the end of the regular season for a mean-spirited and targeted elbow right to Daniel's head.

Sections
Shortcuts