torres on hossa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Re: torres on hossa

stop confusing neil with neal.
    that's neil on the left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

And some people think that Jack Edwards is a homer?  Listen to this clown!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/17/coyotes-announcer-thinks-torres-hit-is-as-clean-as-youre-going-to-get/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Just heard while watching PHX-CHI that Hossa has been released from hospital and got into a the car waiting to pick him up on his own.
    Good news nothing broken, concussed ? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

In Response to Re: torres on hossa:
    Just heard while watching PHX-CHI that Hossa has been released from hospital and got into a the car waiting to pick him up on his own. Good news nothing broken, concussed ? 
    Posted by BsLegion

thats good news, i had a bad feeling about that one for some reason, don't think we'll see him till next year though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I personally think it was a clean hit. From my view, he didn't target the head--the "leaving the feet" thing is kinda erroneous in my opinion because I don't think it increases the impact of the collision--the only thing I look for is the point of contact, and whether it was a blind-side, late hit--and it wasn't.

If leaving your feet is actually grounds for suspension (is it? I honestly don't know), than I suppose he is guilty, but it almost seems like a technicality.

EDIT: I no longer feel that it was a clean hit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Torres is the master at making brutal hits look pretty unintentional. For sure when his feet leave the ice over and over again you know he's just not launching into a triple axle. That being said I'm still not convinced it was a dirty play.

Maybe I saw it wrong but I'm wondering about Hossa's neck as much as his head.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And some people think that Jack Edwards is a homer?  Listen to this clown! http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/17/coyotes-announcer-thinks-torres-hit-is-as-clean-as-youre-going-to-get/
    Posted by jalvis

He describes an illegal hit by basically saying he left his feet (explodes through the hit) and connected right on the jaw, I am not an orthopedic surgeon, but last I knew the jaw was part of the head and therefore a hit to the head.

That guy isn't a homer, he simply doesn't know the rules of the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I personally think it was a clean hit. From my view, he didn't target the head--the "leaving the feet" thing is kinda erroneous in my opinion because I don't think it increases the impact of the collision--the only thing I look for is the point of contact, and whether it was a blind-side, late hit--and it wasn't. If leaving your feet is actually grounds for suspension (is it? I honestly don't know), than I suppose he is guilty, but it almost seems like a technicality.
    Posted by Olsonic

Ols. I'm not 100% on this but was always under the impression that leaving your feet automatically turns a hit into a charge.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

hmmm  http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip660978#clip660978

on second look, it does seem like it was contact with the head, I shoulda looked at this video closer. Hossa's head whips back violently--probably should be a lengthy suspension given his history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Bad hit from a dirty player. Big suspension I think. Intentional contact with the head or not, it doesn't matter at this point as Torres has lost all benefit of the doubt with the league. If Hossa is concussed it will add to the suspension. If Marchand's rep and intent got him 5 games for a hit that's legal the potential for more than that is here for Torres, but who knows with Shanny the Random. It could be anywhere from 2 to 10 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

...there will be big pressure to come down hard on Torres on this one. The hit on Hossa occurred near center ice right in front of Gary Bettman. Presumably he chose this game to attend to provide support for his hobby franchise and pet project - the Phoenix Coyotes. Suspension? Remainder of this series, first two of next series or if they're eliminated, 5 to start next season should get Torres' attention.Posted by Davinator

I agree with all of this real good post. I felt really bad when Hossa was just about to leave the ice and you could see blood coming out of his mouth sad really.

How long was the puck gone from Hossa's stick as well ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Both feet in the air to make the hit ..clearly a suspension ...I say 4 games ..these guys have no more respect for each others...They are just trying to destroy themselves ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

In Response to Re: torres on hossa : I agree with all of this real good post. I felt really bad when Hossa was just about to leave the ice and you could see blood coming out of his mouth sad really. How long was the puck gone from Hossa's stick as well ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Olsonic provided this link:

They say its .8 seconds after - then go on to say when Horton got hit last post season it was .9 seconds.... but that anything over .5 seconds will be looked at carefully.

They also pause it to show that at contact technically the toe of his skate is on the ice.. but he is still launching himself up at him. 

They also detail Torres' history and how he really won't get the benefit of the doubt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Talk about being in a vulnerable position, Hossa is in a bad spot reaching for a loose puck against the back pressure.

Torres is all too willing to take advantage of that.  Would have been easy for him to put a solid/legal/big hit on Hossa, but that's not Torres' game.  He launches high into Hossa with a very bad outcome.

No penalty called on the ice?  Unbelievable.  Shanny should suspend repeat-offender Torres, but ought to take a look at this officiating crew that couldn't get this right in real-time.  NHL officiating is the worst, a total embarrassment to the league.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Wow, I don't even think it's borderline.  It's late, not Aaron Rome late, but late.  He leaves his feet and the head is targeted.  It is everything their trying to get rid of there. 

The frustrating thing is that the way he comes at Hossa is just picture perfect for a big hip check (you there dez?).  He could have hammered him body to body.  But instead he sent all of the force and impact directly to the head.  Inexcusable.  Given his resume, I don't see how you can avoid a 'statement' suspension by Shanny.  A big one coming...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

torres should just tell shanny he left his feet to brace for impact (i'm guessing both times?). worked for neal- who is also a repeat offender. laughable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Part of the problem is the way in which Shanny includes injury criteria to his analysis and decisions.  If Hossa pops back up and gets into the play, does this hit even get reviewed?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm willing to cut him some slack on the lateness, as Hossa had just changed direction and at the speed Torres was moving (to backcheck) I don't think there was much of a chance for him to avoid a collision.

It's the early leaving of the feet that was the problem.  It's why he made head contact, and it's what he does time after time.  There have been several suspensions this season where leaving the feet was cited as the main reason.  It might just be in my head, but Shanahan's videos for them made me feel like he particularly doesn't like that particular infraction.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I'm willing to cut him some slack on the lateness, as Hossa had just changed direction and at the speed Torres was moving (to backcheck) I don't think there was much of a chance for him to avoid a collision. It's the early leaving of the feet that was the problem.  It's why he made head contact, and it's what he does time after time.  There have been several suspensions this season where leaving the feet was cited as the main reason.  It might just be in my head, but Shanahan's videos for them made me feel like he particularly doesn't like that particular infraction.
    Posted by DrCC

Very true fellow Doc. As TSN's Bob Mackenzie pointed out, Torres' hit satisfied many criteria laid out by the NHL's Rule 48 on hits to the head. It was late (by NHL's standards now), he left his feet, and the principle contact was the head. Torres will be gone for a while I think.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to torres on hossa:
    just saw a quick clip, torres hit hossa so hard they're bringing out a stretcher.
    Posted by Neecic

Torres knew exactly what he was doing! He's a repeat offender that deserves to be neutered! Hossa was in a vulnerable position, and this coward thought he's use a sporting event as an excuse to potentially change someone's life forever. I'm sorry but the play-offs have shown a lot of ugliness so far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't think the "feet" thing means much nor the "head".  Think it's a bit of a stretch to say the head was "targeted".  In this case, and those like it, the target, and the intent is to absolutely splatter.  That used to be fine.  Now it isn't, and the league is doing a terrible job getting that across.
    The issue, is the lateness.  8/10 of a second is eternity in this game.  The reason these things are so ugly, is that  players usually let their guard down a bit, that long after the puck is gone, and that makes them even more vulnerable.  

This feet/head crap just makes things murky.  Obviously, any physical aggression that is solely responsible for removing someone off the ice on a stretcher needs to go doesn't it?

And no penalty?  Obviously no one knows the perimeters anymore. Top to bottom there is mass confusion.  

Throwing suspensions out helter skelter is not working.  Maybe the rules should become a bit more clear?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Wow, I don't even think it's borderline.  It's late, not Aaron Rome late, but late.  He leaves his feet and the head is targeted.  It is everything their trying to get rid of there.  The frustrating thing is that the way he comes at Hossa is just picture perfect for a big hip check (you there dez?).  He could have hammered him body to body.  But instead he sent all of the force and impact directly to the head.  Inexcusable.  Given his resume, I don't see how you can avoid a 'statement' suspension by Shanny.  A big one coming...
    Posted by Fletcher1

You read my mind Fletch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'm willing to cut him some slack on the lateness, as Hossa had just changed direction and at the speed Torres was moving (to backcheck) I don't think there was much of a chance for him to avoid a collision. It's the early leaving of the feet that was the problem.  It's why he made head contact, and it's what he does time after time.  There have been several suspensions this season where leaving the feet was cited as the main reason.  It might just be in my head, but Shanahan's videos for them made me feel like he particularly doesn't like that particular infraction.
    Posted by DrCC

My initial thought was way late, Rome type late.  But I went back and watched it again and it wasn't as bad as I thought. 
    It did get me thinking though, what is finishing a check?  Many guys use it to justify their actions.  When a player see's a guy coming it seems you can deliver a body check several mississippi's after a pass is made.  You see that all the time.  The issue becomes, when a victim is not watching or able to see the player coming, does late change?  It should, or eliminate any form of late.  If the guy doesn't have the puck, you can't hit him (or isn't that in the rules already?)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Wow, I don't even think it's borderline.  It's late, not Aaron Rome late, but late.  He leaves his feet and the head is targeted.  It is everything their trying to get rid of there.  The frustrating thing is that the way he comes at Hossa is just picture perfect for a big hip check (you there dez?).  He could have hammered him body to body.  But instead he sent all of the force and impact directly to the head.  Inexcusable.  Given his resume, I don't see how you can avoid a 'statement' suspension by Shanny.  A big one coming...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Thats the biggest part of the problem fletch.   There've been way to many "statements".   Time for the league to do something.. put some meat in the rule book.   Without question, things are getting worse. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think the "feet" thing means much nor the "head".  Think it's a bit of a stretch to say the head was "targeted".  In this case, and those like it, the target, and the intent is to absolutely splatter.  That used to be fine.  Now it isn't, and the league is doing a terrible job getting that across. The issue, is the lateness.  8/10 of a second is eternity in this game.  The reason these things are so ugly, is that  players usually let their guard down a bit, that long after the puck is gone, and that makes them even more vulnerable.   This feet/head crap just makes things murky.  Obviously, any physical aggression that is solely responsible for removing someone off the ice on a stretcher needs to go doesn't it? And no penalty?  Obviously no one knows the perimeters anymore. Top to bottom there is mass confusion.   Throwing suspensions out helter skelter is not working.  Maybe the rules should become a bit more clear?
    Posted by stevegm

I don't know steve, I don't think it is as murky as you, but I get what you are saying.  Instead of looking at lifting the feet (which happens a lot) or just head contact (which can be inadvertant), I think it is really an issue of where the hitter targets the energy of the collision.  I know that sounds nebulous, but the guys who are delivering hits must learn to take 'center mass' -- body, torso, hips, etc.  If your feet come up, or some part of the head is hit on follow-through, I still think it is usually okay if the brunt of the hit is taken body to body.

Dustin Brown's hit on Sedin was a good example -- a brutal hit where the torso was pounded, body on body.  Ovechkin and Seidenberg have been putting on a clinic of body thumping hits without taking the head.  I thought Chris Neil's huge hit on Boychuk was legal just for that reason -- the torso seemed to be targeted even if some follow through came up high.

Torres appears to do just the opposite.  He has the opportunity to take the body and instead he launches higher to get the head.  If he didn't jump up at the last second into Hossa you have a pretty clean (still a bit late) hit.  Same thing with Rome on Horton -- he sends all of the power and energy of the hit right at Horton's head instead of his body.  Instead of bracing for hits, guys are launching themselves upwards.  It may be a subtle difference, but the difference in injury level is certainly not subtle.  I think Sedin and Hossa were hit very similarly, both were brutal, but since Sedin was hit in the body he was able to keep playing.  Hossa left on a stretcher.

It's a tough distinction but I think it is one they need to make.  Any big hit must target the area between the hips and the shoulders.  That should be the rule.

Sections
Shortcuts