Torts is a joke...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Torts is a joke...

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

Yes, all the time.  I have been in sales for 20 years and the best way to motivate many reps is to call them out publicly, among the group, in order to gain additional accountibility.  Some flourish and some disappear.  Depends on the person.  My guess is Hagelin is tough enough to handle it.

Sales guys.  typical.  Us software guys are sweating it out in the back room and you guys shmooze and booze customers and make the promises we have to keep.  I'm calling you out publicly.

Haha good post BH

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Tortorella is an idiot. More coaches need to be hard on their players when they're underperforming but criticism has to constructive and NEVER open in the public domain. This guy is one obnoxious demotivator.

And if the Rangers come back to win the series, what will you say then?

And if they don't what will you say then

I will say the Bruins were the better team regardless off what types of motivational tactics Tortorella employed and it just wasn't in the cards for the Rags.  The difference between the 2 teams is miniscule, however when it comes to the most important position on the ice, Tuukka has outplayed the King so far.  That could change, who knows.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Yes, all the time.  I have been in sales for 20 years and the best way to motivate many reps is to call them out publicly, among the group, in order to gain additional accountibility.  Some flourish and some disappear.  Depends on the person.  My guess is Hagelin is tough enough to handle it.

Sales guys.  typical.  Us software guys are sweating it out in the back room and you guys shmooze and booze customers and make the promises we have to keep.  I'm calling you out publicly.

Haha good post BH

Long overdue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

ZZZZinggg!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I used to like him but now he's become a bit annoying.  I don't see him lasting much longer as a Ranger coach but if he does I am sure some dweeb on this site will remind me every day how bad my prediction was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

gaborik always seemed to score against the b's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

gaborik scared the hell out of me, agreed, 86. However, calling guys out in the NHL is different than in other sports where it seems everyone is afraid of besmerching the good name of anyone. I say if a player stinks or is playing terribly, call him out, it's okay. Really, but if you called out a Red Sox player, it's high treason.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

software guys = salary

Sales reps = commission and pennies

BooHoo for the software reps!

Sales reps = salary commission and padded expense accounts, boozing and complaining if they have to downgrade their hotels.

software guys = salary, no appreciation, where the rubber hits the road and where the real work gets down.

I never have to downgrade my hotels becuase the person who approves our expenses get her favorite bottle of single malt every month Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Tortorella is an idiot. More coaches need to be hard on their players when they're underperforming but criticism has to constructive and NEVER open in the public domain. This guy is one obnoxious demotivator.

And if the Rangers come back to win the series, what will you say then?

I will get a knife and fork and literally eat my words if that happens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I LOVE Torts! I think he talks this way to protect his players. Cherry did the same thing & it worked. Torts uses the media to bring the attention to him, because he makes some great TV & quotes. The media HAVE TO speak to him. I think this is his way to take the focus off of the players good, or bad performance's to help them not having to worry about what the media is saying. They're too busy quoting him to worry about the team. Torts didn't humilate anyone & didn't throw anyone under the bus. Totally taken out of context. 

Somehow nite, I don't think Tortorella saying Hagelin stinks on the PP is a way of protecting his players.

Oh and btw your posts stink.

P.S. Don't take it personal. I'm just protecting you.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't have a problem with Torterella calling out Hagelin. He was asked a question and answered it. I like coaches that do that. Julien called out Lucic and Rask this year, though not as rough on them. Parcells did it many times here.

I'm not sure I see it as strategic, I think it's more their personality. With Parcells, I think it was a little of both.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I LOVE Torts! I think he talks this way to protect his players. Cherry did the same thing & it worked. Torts uses the media to bring the attention to him, because he makes some great TV & quotes. The media HAVE TO speak to him. I think this is his way to take the focus off of the players good, or bad performance's to help them not having to worry about what the media is saying. They're too busy quoting him to worry about the team. Torts didn't humilate anyone & didn't throw anyone under the bus. Totally taken out of context. 

Somehow nite, I don't think Tortorella saying Hagelin stinks on the PP is a way of protecting his players.

Oh and btw your posts stink.

P.S. Don't take it personal. I'm just protecting you.

HAHA! If you look at other interviews the guy does protect his players. He went after Hitchcock & he even protected Nash this yr in the play-offs. I don't think what he said to the media about Hagelin he didn't alreasdy say it to his face. Which makes a difference to how the player sees takes it as well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think what he said to the media about Hagelin he didn't alreasdy say it to his face. Which makes a difference to how the player sees takes it as well. 

Totally agree Nite. I think when it comes to Torts if he says it to the media, the player has already heard it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:

What is hes supposed to do, pat everyone on the back and take them out for ice cream?

No, but have you ever publicly humiliated someone and have it all work out wonderful in the end?

I'm not much of a Torts fan either, but I think in context, he's going far enough over the top...he's really not publicly humiliating Hagelin.  He's not saying he's a stinky hockey player, Tortorella is kind of implying the reality is bizarre.  In an odd sort of way, he's kind of speaking of Hag's positives overall.
    Just my opinion.  I usually find the subleties more cutting and dirty.

I agree.  He said several times that he thinks he is a great player and and for some strange reason he does not work out good on the PP.  Peopele are taking this out of context.

True that.

But it's always a better sports bite for the networks if they ignore the entire statement and focus on the controversial...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I don't think what he said to the media about Hagelin he didn't alreasdy say it to his face. Which makes a difference to how the player sees takes it as well. 

Totally agree Nite. I think when it comes to Torts if he says it to the media, the player has already heard it.

Thats the point, if he already said to his face why would he feel the need to say that to the media. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

And if that's the case whatever happened to......... what's said in the dressing room stays in the dressing room ?

What benefit does Tortorella, Hagelin or the NYR gain by having the coach saying one of his players stink publicly ? And how many other coaches around the NHL would do this ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

HAHA! If you look at other interviews the guy does protect his players. He went after Hitchcock & he even protected Nash this yr in the play-offs. I don't think what he said to the media about Hagelin he didn't alreasdy say it to his face. Which makes a difference to how the player sees takes it as well. 

[/QUOTE]

This is nothing new nite. We have seen this opinion given about why Tortorella puts on this act from various media. 

This time though, it wasn't about protecting. It was about directing his comments at a specific player. 

His words were poorly chosen as a member of that team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

They're just words guys.  This isn't 3rd grade soccer.  Hagelin is a big boy and he should be able to handle it.  Torts is just trying to motivate him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

They're just words guys.  This isn't 3rd grade soccer.  Hagelin is a big boy and he should be able to handle it.  Torts is just trying to motivate him.

If he's trying to motivate, then he should be saying the whole team stinks.

Hagelin hasn't been the reason why they're down 2-0. Singling out one player was a Tortorella brain cramp behind the mic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

If he's trying to motivate, then he should be saying the whole team stinks.

Hagelin hasn't been the reason why they're down 2-0. Singling out one player was a Tortorella brain cramp behind the mic.

I think (I could be wrong) the reporter specifically asked about Hagelin so Torts was just answering the question.  Brain cramp?  Maybe, maybe not.  He was frustrated for sure.  I just don't think it's a big deal.  Players need to be able to deal with criticism.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Bad moment for sure. He's a good man. Anybody who cares about animals that much is tops in my book. As long as it's not the Bruins, I'm hoping he has success. Total respect for him.

http://www.tortorellafoundation.org/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

This guy is a piece or work.  Best thing that will come from this series is seeing this guy get fired after the B's dispense with the Rangers.  Throwing his own player under the bus and running over him several times to the national media.  Even the king of smugness, Mike Millbury cound'nt believe he said what he did.  Constantly whining and cursing out the ref's during games.  Love to see him get what he deserves.  Can't stomach looking at him with that constant smirk...  Be gone Tortorella!!

Because he stinks on the power play,” Tortorella said after the Rangers practised Saturday. “I don’t know why. I wish I could play him on the power play. Every time I put him on, he stinks.”

Thus began an extended, entertaining exchange between Tortorella and reporters on Hagelin’s absence from the power play, with Tortorella frequently employing the word “stinks.”

“I think he’s too quick,” Tortorella said when asked what Hagelin does wrong on the power play. “I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But I may use him -- I’d love to. And I’m not trying to be a smart aleck. He stinks on the power play every time I put him on there.”

Oops!!  Did I call this one,  or what? 

Bummer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

software guys = salary

Sales reps = commission and pennies

BooHoo for the software reps!

Sales reps = salary commission and padded expense accounts, boozing and complaining if they have to downgrade their hotels.

software guys = salary, no appreciation, where the rubber hits the road and where the real work gets down.

I never have to downgrade my hotels becuase the person who approves our expenses get her favorite bottle of single malt every month Cool

Glug glug glug, approve.  Glug glug glug, approve.

Sections
Shortcuts