Tough Team to Play Against?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Tough Team to Play Against?

Remember this from PC, when CJ first arrived.  What happened?  Does this look/feel like a tough team to play against?

Look at how they are playing, even with a good record; inconsistent and unemotional.
    - Not finishing checks
    - Not winning 1:1 battles
    - Not skating

How much longer can this go on?  Results are better, but this looks an awful lot like last season, where we could at least say, "look at all of the injuries".  

Interested in everyone's thoughts on how this gets better. 
    - If you want to change the coach, then who replaces him?
    - If you want to change personal for more jam, who do you target, who goes, and does it fit under the cap?
    - Do we just need to ride this out and hope that it organically improves?
    - Other thoughts?

I think we could use a 2nd-line winger with more jam and a top-4 D-man that can soak up meaningful minutes.  I am open to moving assets to get these pieces, but these types of changes would help.

Also, not opposed to changing the coach.  I do not have a good idea as to who I would replace CJ with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Tough Team to Play Against?

Not finishing checks is a huge problem.  They used to say that you get two strides.  Now, one stride and the puck is passed, the Bruin turns away.

For those non-hockey players, knowing that you can hold the puck longer allows for a better pass.  If the guy gets hit hard every time he passes the puck, he's going to get rid of it quickly, and resulting in poorer passing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Tough Team to Play Against?:
    [QUOTE]Not finishing checks is a huge problem.  They used to say that you get two strides.  Now, one stride and the puck is passed, the Bruin turns away. For those non-hockey players, knowing that you can hold the puck longer allows for a better pass.  If the guy gets hit hard every time he passes the puck, he's going to get rid of it quickly, and resulting in poorer passing.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I love when I see Thorton turn on a guy that just got rid of the puck. Finish your checks for the love of Pete !

Crowls,  Julien does not coach the style I like  but he's been pretty good. When the Bruins went into the playoffs and beat the Sabres it opened my eyes.  While they did play Julien style hockey they were exciting.  They also did the same against the Flyers,  till Krejci got hurt and then the roof fell.  If by chance they would have won another game in that series without Krejci the Habs would have been in the cup final.
    This is the hope I have. If Julien can bring this team healthy into the playoffs we can see some of that magic we saw in the last playoffs .
    If Julien does not make it past the 2nd round and the Bruins are not competitive in the Conference final,  then Julien will get fired over the summer before the draft.  
    This I'm willing to bet big $$$.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Tough Team to Play Against?:
    [QUOTE]Remember this from PC, when CJ first arrived.  What happened?  Does this look/feel like a tough team to play against? Look at how they are playing, even with a good record; inconsistent and unemotional. - Not finishing checks - Not winning 1:1 battles - Not skating How much longer can this go on?  Results are better, but this looks an awful lot like last season, where we could at least say, "look at all of the injuries".   Interested in everyone's thoughts on how this gets better.  - If you want to change the coach, then who replaces him? - If you want to change personal for more jam, who do you target, who goes, and does it fit under the cap? - Do we just need to ride this out and hope that it organically improves? - Other thoughts? I think we could use a 2nd-line winger with more jam and a top-4 D-man that can soak up meaningful minutes.  I am open to moving assets to get these pieces, but these types of changes would help. Also, not opposed to changing the coach.  I do not have a good idea as to who I would replace CJ with.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Reality is not good for the first couple questions.  CJ is not going anywhere at this point, and why?, the absence of Savard needs to be accounted into the assessment of the Bs season.  Bogie had some good suggestions on offensive lines with details on who needs to be motivated and who needs to be moved on another thread.  All in all it is a matter of waiting at this point.  Some think a major move can be made but it is virtually impossible in the cap era and with the inablitiy to extend contracts in the NHL.  Wisniewski has been mentioned with the Isle having cap room.  Burns would be nice but another trade would have to be made to accomodate his contract.  Every other scenario is nothing but a dream.  Brad Richards is a great player but 7 something million is ridiculous to fit under the cap.  So the show goes on.  As for a coach, speculative in respect to the fact JJ will not endure, would be Scott Gordon.  Not too promising Crowls.  Thus as you and others have said aggressive checking is absolutely needed to create space and time on offense.  

Sections
Shortcuts