Toughest Bruin of All Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Re: Toughest Bruin of All Time

In response to jmwalters's comment:

In response to -Chowda-'s comment:

A memorable moment in Habs-Bruins history.

Jazz that !

Yep...my two fondest fight memories are Jonathan-Bouchard and Lucic-Komisarek. Both classics in my opinion.

Me too, 2 awesome tilts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to -Chowda-'s comment:

A memorable moment in Habs-Bruins history.

Jazz that !

Yep...my two fondest fight memories are Jonathan-Bouchard and Lucic-Komisarek. Both classics in my opinion.

Stock versus Stephen Peat is a classic and Stock versus Reed Lowe was a nice one as well.

Neely versus Tocchet and Neely versus Corson are good ones..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Comon Nas! When did you see PJ stock knock anyone out? He was a fast rabbit puncher with no power whatsoever, but was able to take a punch. Jonathan body lifted men over 200 lbs & knocked them out! It wasn't just Bouchard he knocked silly. Jonathan also could throw with both hands with the same amount of power which is why he was such a great fighter & the main reason he beat Bouchard. Bouchard was winning the beginning of that fight, until Stanley switched hands. Then it was a beat down. Same thing when he beat Dupont. PJ stock never belonged in Jonathan's category at all. Jonathan would've destroyed him & even Stock said that himself. 

Everyone gets all jazzed up abut the Bouchard/Jonathan fight.  Why?  Jonathan was a brawler.  Bouchard never had 70 PIM in a season.  Why aren't we celebrating Campbell/Pyatt with such gusto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqml4UsVVA4" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqml4UsVVA4" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqml4UsVVA4

Yeah, great.  He would dump guys and then punch them in the face.  Would win in a fight is unknown.  All I said is that they weren't very different.  Two tough players, similar in weight.  

No you argued about the "pound for pound" statement. You hear it all the time by actual "hockey people" about Jonathan. "Pound for Pound Jonathan was probably one of the best fighters ever!" You don't hear that about PJ. That's the difference. I loved PJ as a Bruin & for a little guy he handled much bigger guys quite well. His bout with Stephen Peat is a youtube classic & one of my favorite scraps of all time, but Darren Pangs call on that fight certainly helped the excitement. So you lose this argument just by saying that because someone is close to the same weight as another & they fought. That doesn't make them fit the " best pound for pound" explanation. Matt Barnaby is another guy who I loved & respect that was like a Stock, but he was no Jonathan either. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No you argued about the "pound for pound" statement. You hear it all the time by actual "hockey people" about Jonathan. "Pound for Pound Jonathan was probably one of the best fighters ever!" You don't hear that about PJ. That's the difference. I loved PJ as a Bruin & for a little guy he handled much bigger guys quite well. His bout with Stephen Peat is a youtube classic & one of my favorite scraps of all time, but Darren Pangs call on that fight certainly helped the excitement. So you lose this argument just by saying that because someone is close to the same weight as another & they fought. That doesn't make them fit the " best pound for pound" explanation. Matt Barnaby is another guy who I loved & respect that was like a Stock, but he was no Jonathan either. 

1.  Let me know when we're in an argument.

2.  Everything is subjective.

3.  No one cares.

4.  Fawkoff ya weirdo goalie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Stock versus Stephen Peat is a classic

That one in particular is almost legendary.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to btrentor's comment:

Love them all, but no Bruin was tougher than Shore.  

Once his leg was cut by a skate needing 14 stitches. Ignoring doctor orders, Shore played in the next game, popped all of the stitches and bled all over his hockey pants. In one game alone Shore suffered six lost teeth, a broken nose, a broken jaw, and was knocked out three times. Shore once found his own doctor to sew his ear back on.  Before the rules changes, he had 5 fights in one game, a record. There are many more stories like this.

You forgot to mention his most impressive feat.  At the age of twelve he killed a grizzly bear with his bare hands to feed his ailing parents.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

1.  Let me know when we're in an argument.

2.  Everything is subjective.

3.  No one cares.

4.  Fawkoff ya weirdo goalie.

LMAO! You're a dick with a big capital D.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Chuck Norris, oh yeah he was not tough enough to make the team.

No4BobbyOrr

GOAT!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big j. Show Big j's posts

I never lived to see players like O'Reilly, Sanderson, but from who ive seen i think one of the toughest was pj stock he was entertaining to watch. That stock vs peat fight was the best fight ive ever seen. 

one hundred thirty-four years ago yesterday, a bunch of rag-tag farmers stood up against the greatest fighting force in the world. And today school children in Massachusetts have Patriot's Day off because of that. Well, a bunch of modern-day Bostonians have turned back Hockey's royalty and they have sent their faithful on a redcoated retreat through the exits. It's 4-2 Bruins, --- Jack edwards

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

pound for pound none was tougher than Stan Jonathan....

Pierre Bouchard can attest to that....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

He's listed as seven pound lighter than PJ Stock.  I'm not sure those two players were that different.

[object HTMLDivElement]

not even close....  Jonathan would make minced meat out of PJ....

plus he could play some hockey, not just a shift disturber....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

just a footnote to the Jonathan-Bouchard tilt, apparently Jonathan's helmet was cracked in several places from blows landed by Bouchard.... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

just a footnote to the Jonathan-Bouchard tilt, apparently Jonathan's helmet was cracked in several places from blows landed by Bouchard.... 

Not surprised! He was landing every shot straight to the forehead! Jonathan should've been ti t ties up after the 1st 3. Had he not switched hands I think the out come would've been much different. Bouchard never saw the 1st crack Jonathan landed & probably couldn't see much after that 1st one, the rest of the punches by Jonathan was just a mauling after that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

would have loved to see Eddie Shore play.

here's the toughest Bruin

-http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-eddie-shores-legendary-toughness-extended-off-the-ice/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah Shore for sure.  Gets his leg cut off, hits a guy over the head with it, gets it sewn back on between periods, gets in two more fights in the next period, and whacks the ref a couple of times for looking at him wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Aren't there any (long) video clips of him anywhere?  When I was in my youth I kept hearing "you should have seen him play" by the old guys, surely they must have taken some movie clips of him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Aren't there any (long) video clips of him anywhere?  When I was in my youth I kept hearing "you should have seen him play" by the old guys, surely they must have taken some movie clips of him.

I was thinking the same. My readings on his play was from one of Don Cherry's books (Springfield AHL). Anyhoo Cherry said he and Bobby Orr were the only ones he saw who skated with loose shoestrings. He went on to say they use to slice the ice when they skated. Other readings attested to his fights. Clips or flicks would be awesome to see. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not surprised! He was landing every shot straight to the forehead! Jonathan should've been ti t ties up after the 1st 3. Had he not switched hands I think the out come would've been much different. Bouchard never saw the 1st crack Jonathan landed & probably couldn't see much after that 1st one, the rest of the punches by Jonathan was just a mauling after that.

I think that's part of the reason I loved that fight.  Bouchard is bigger and seems to initiate it.  He's also got the reach, by a mile, and it looks like he's gonna tune Jonathan up.  He lands some big shots, but Jonathan stands in, switches hands, and delivers an absolute beating.  Throwing an extra one of the way down shows the real emotion and hate that makes these fights memorable.  It's a beauty.

That, and Scapinella's 'splash back' face.  I bet he was hoping Bouchard didn't share any needles, or harlots, on the road.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Still am a fan of the Miller/Byers tag team action though. Some good memories with those two. Byers was not all that big either, only 6'1" and 190, but he sure could throw em.

Knew the writing was on the wall with him when Carkner destroyed him, however. That guy was one tough sob. McQuaid reminds me of Carkner in a way. Doesn't have to throw down all that much to be respected.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Still am a fan of the Miller/Byers tag team action though. Some good memories with those two. Byers was not all that big either, only 6'1" and 190, but he sure could throw em.

Knew the writing was on the wall with him when Carkner destroyed him, however. That guy was one tough sob. McQuaid reminds me of Carkner in a way. Doesn't have to throw down all that much to be respected.

Loved both those guys! Byers is a funny guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I read a John Kordic interview once and he was asked who he hated fighting against the most,and he said Jay Miller, not because Miller was the toughest or meanest but because Miller loved to fight. Kordic said no matter how hard or how many times he hit Jay,Jay would keep smiling and still want to go, he never tired of it. I laughed to myself at the thought of Jay getting punched in the face and just smiling at Kordic and saying bring it on.

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I was at this game.  My dad just picked me up from school and we went on a whim.  The first period ended at 9pm or so.  I still have the stub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-85qLSvztnQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-85qLSvztnQ

This is why #18 is my sentimental favorite. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

#24 Taz. Fearless, would drop them with anyone at any time, never took a single shift off, stuck up for all teammates, AND could actually play the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

I was at this game.  My dad just picked me up from school and we went on a whim.  The first period ended at 9pm or so.  I still have the stub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-85qLSvztnQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-85qLSvztnQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-85qLSvztnQ

This is why #18 is my sentimental favorite. 

you'll have to repost the link.  This new BDC platform sux when trying to paste links.  any tricks ?  I edit and add a . or - to my link at the end of the link .

Sections
Shortcuts